• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Is it? I honestly thought, from what I'd read, that the majority on here were American.
Most Liverpool fans here live locally and attend matches.

I'm from Preston but grew up watching football at my grandparents (because they had Sky)who're both scousers so I inevitably followed Liverpool with them. My uncle and cousins are Everton season ticket holders, ugh. Parents don't have any interest on football, strange people, but my step dads a Blackburn season ticket holder.

I go to about ~12 games a season, money permitting. I'm at Uni now though so travelling is a ball ache. And costly. Much tougher.

GorillaJu

Great interview with Stuart Ripley in yesterday's LEP Jeff, just read it. Given me lots of food for thought about Downing and Carroll, specifically how they were clearly bought in the same mould. Says a lot that Downing was subbed for Carroll in yesterday's game.

Unlike the Chelsea and United fans the Liverpool contingent in this thread regularly attend matches.

Grew up watching football at my grandparents who're scousers, which inevitably pushed me to support Liverpool with them. My uncle and cousins are Everton season ticket holders. Parents and my brother don't like football. Strange people.

I am American and support Liverpool to a fault. It is strange to "choose" a club but is it any different from Londoners following United?

Back home, I saw a ton of people in California who supported the Patriots, and plenty who support the Yankees or Sox in baseball. Always put a bad taste in my mouth, especially when we have three very decent baseball teams (Padres, Dodgers and Angels) in California. Probably looks the same for me to support Liverpool, but I also have a lot of respect for people like Awesome Animals who support a slightly smaller club.

Arnie could you link me this article? I'd like to read

dc89

Huh?! What's with the Chinese looking characters on the back of City's training tops?

I wonder if it's the players name in a particular eastern language.

Van Persie with a beard!

Clegg

I could easily see it happening, we should beat Edinburgh and I can't see Leinster losing to either Saracens or Clermont.

If Leinster play Clermont in France then it will be a very difficult game. 50/50 who would win imo. But if they get to the final then I can see nothing but another Leinster win.

They are playing the best rugby in Europe.

Scum

Oxlade-Chamberlain again starts on the bench? He must have slept with Wenger's wife. There is no other rational explanation for why he constant gets overlooked despite being our most creative attacking player.

No. Seriously. What did Oxfarm Chamberbot really do to deserve no start whatsoever?

kharma45

If Leinster play Clermont in France then it will be a very difficult game. 50/50 who would win imo. But if they get to the final then I can see nothing but another Leinster win.

They are playing the best rugby in Europe.

Aye Leinster should win if they get to the final, but don't count Ulster out to give it a very good go, many thought Munster would batter us today.

WJD

Yes, all us United and Chelsea fans are terrible fans and should not be allowed to support our teams.

Might as well give up football - see you all in the NFL thread!

FootballFan

No. Seriously. What did Oxfarm Chamberbot really do to deserve no start whatsoever?

I think Wenger doesn't want to make mistake as he does with Wilshere or as he did with Cesc. Playing too much when they are young = injuries, injuries oh and injuries.

ehh Who am I kidding, the Ox slept with Wengers wife.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Oxlade-Chamberlain again starts on the bench? He must have slept with Wenger's wife. There is no other rational explanation for why he constant gets overlooked despite being our most creative attacking player.

"We must prevent him from developing injuries or burning out" -Arsene Wenger

Translation: I'm a fucking dolt.

Yes, all us United and Chelsea fans are terrible fans and should not be allowed to support our teams.

Might as well give up football - see you all in the NFL thread!
I think there's a point in there somewhere. It's a different nature and experience of support when you go to games regularly. I don't neccesarrily think it makes you a lesser fan but that's just the way it is.

Im not from Manchester originally. I've been getting to about 5 games a season, I went to 10 a couple of years back, loved that. I wish I could get to more but just can't afford it really, student loan is spent on sweets and burgers.

Arnie

I am American and support Liverpool to a fault. It is strange to "choose" a club but is it any different from Londoners following United?

Back home, I saw a ton of people in California who supported the Patriots, and plenty who support the Yankees or Sox in baseball. Always put a bad taste in my mouth, especially when we have three very decent baseball teams (Padres, Dodgers and Angels) in California. Probably looks the same for me to support Liverpool, but I also have a lot of respect for people like Awesome Animals who support a slightly smaller club.

I've got no issue whatsoever with people who support a team without fault through thick and thin and make a concerted effort to always back them and follow their progress.

Unless you're lunchbox and you "support" United and the Patriots to feed your inferiority complex so you can consistently gloat about some victory every week.

It's the people that couldn't tell me the stadium that Liverpool play at, or who Jonjo Shelvey is that really irk me. Those people who come out of the woodwork to say "we" won.
Regularly attending matches would be some feat for me, Arnie. How do you say, a ball ache ?
That's more of a slow ball roasting. Would take passion beyond my means to travel half way across planet Earth for 90 minutes of football. Even if your team are guaranteed three points every week.

Hixx

Quinn also thinks Young didn't dive.

lolz

Where did he say that? He didn't.

He said the referee probably thought, from the angle he had, that Hill tripped Young rather than merely putting his hand on him.

Just because he didn't use the word dive doesn't mean he doesn't think it was one.

amitaiwinehouse

Neo Member
Most Liverpool fans here live locally and attend matches.

I'm from Preston but grew up watching football at my grandparents (because they had Sky)who're both scousers so I inevitably followed Liverpool with them. My uncle and cousins are Everton season ticket holders, ugh. Parents don't have any interest on football, strange people, but my step dads a Blackburn season ticket holder.

I go to about ~12 games a season, money permitting. I'm at Uni now though so travelling is a ball ache. And costly. Much tougher.

Arnie, the grandparents thing is exactly what I mean. There's a link there, it wasn't a completely free choice.

That's why I'd struggle to be in the position of odd_morsel, purely because I can't understand how you did it. But yeah, it is no different to a Londoner supporting Man Utd. They've made a conscious decision. It runs so contrary to my experience of always knowing I'm a Leeds fan, and that's 'right' or whatever.

Speaking of Leeds, here's the highlights package from us vs. Reading:
iU0ToG3pE1Bak.gif

WJD

I think there's a point in there somewhere. It's a different nature and experience of support when you go to games regularly. I don't neccesarrily think it makes you a lesser fan but that's just the way it is.

Im not from Manchester originally. I've been getting to about 5 games a season, I went to 10 a couple of years back, loved that. I wish I could get to more but just can't afford it really, student loan is spent on sweets and burgers.

Yes, and I probably attended more United games (before Uni anyway) than a hell of a lot of Liverpool fans in this thread. Just bloody frustrating essentially being branded as a shit fan without any form of justification.

Clegg

Aye Leinster should win if they get to the final, but don't count Ulster out to give it a very good go, many thought Munster would batter us today.

TBH I thought Ulster would win today.

They've been better than Munster throughout the Heineken Cup, even if Munster went unbeaten through the group stages.

Ulster moved up a level when they beat Clermont and Leicester. An improving Ulster is a very good thing for Irish rugby.

Kyoufu

Where did he say that? He didn't.

He said the referee probably thought, from the angle he had, that Hill tripped Young rather than merely putting his hand on him.

Just because he didn't use the word dive doesn't mean he doesn't think it was one.

He said there was enough contact to take him down.

Therefore not a dive.

My thought is that all you 5 star player sucks.

Fuck yea, I play almost exclusively with Rennes and sometimes Athletic Club.

Eh. I don't care about who Americans support that much when it comes to following the beautiful game. You need to pick some how and if it was because you had the most exposure to a team, which is often the case for the American ManU, or Liverpool supporters than who am I to say it is wrong. But nothing gets me more upset than to see red sox or Yankee fans who have never even been to a game or the damn city. sports are an irrational thing but one of the most logical things in fandom is picking a team based in regional pride or being born into it. I HATE fair weather fans. I grew up and still live in a tortured sports city but I've never decided to abandon those teams. It will just make it sweeter when we finally accomplish the ultimate goal of winning the league. It is a huge part of why I picked Aston Villa. You can't celebrate the highs without having the lows. Also, I'd totally root for the Padres if I lived in California.

ShogunX

Suarez isnt the ONLY player who does it

and Englishmen do it.

honestly FIFA need to give us the power to send divers off. If you call another player a cheat, you are sent off, under the LOTG. yet if you are caught cheating, you are permitted to stay on the field

Red card Diving would eradicate it quick smart.

I'm not sure giving power happy clueless ref's even more power would be a good idea especially seeing as yesterday you and your amazing standard of refereeing would of seen Suarez sent off for diving when in reality somebody stood on his foot.

Arnie

Hold it, wasn't inferring people were shit fans of they can't get to games. My definition of a shit fan is those people who don't keep up to date with their team and just turn up to say "we" won at the final whistle.

Oh, and Lunchbox.

Didn't mean offence. When I was younger I got to no games because my parents don't even like football and I was too young to get a bus or train to the footy on my own. Not to mention I couldn't pay for a £40 match ticket with my pocket money.

The closest I got to games as a kid was hoping my cousin would fall I'll so I could nab his ticket and attend a derby at Goodison. Only happened once.

I would never question anyone's support of a club but I think it is fair to say those from the area and who can attend games have more of a connection and a feel for the club.

Football and in particular Jack Walker did a hell of a lot for this area and I think fans from far away would miss that

Plasma

Banned
I'm not sure giving power happy clueless ref's even more power would be a good idea especially seeing as yesterday you and your amazing standard of refereeing would of seen Suarez sent off for diving when in reality somebody stood on his foot.

I'd like to see players get banned after the match for diving if it isn't caught by the referee, UEFA had the right idea when they were going to ban Eduardo but the problem was they had nothing in place to do that consistently.

Yes, and I probably attended more United games (before Uni anyway) than a hell of a lot of Liverpool fans in this thread. Just bloody frustrating essentially being branded as a shit fan without any form of justification.
Haha yeah. Tbf It's just a generalisation. Who cares, United have plenty of fair weather fans and that's just the way it is. Only you know yourself how "true" a fan you are and that's all that should matter IMO.

With United there will always be a stigma attached. Many other clubs are exact the same though, I saw a train pull into London Euston the evening after Liverpool played City, came in from Lime Street, at least a few hundred Liverpool fans were on their way home.

Choc

Banned
Atkinson is in 'the mood' today guys

expect yellows galore

also that leeds gif, 2 reds 1 yellow? surely?

the studs up lunge at the player and the dive from behind are both send offs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom