• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

Y43MK.jpg

4 years at Barcelona has taken its toll on Pep

40 year old man in losing hair and going grey shocker!

panty

Today's lineups.

Real Madrid-Valencia:

RM: Casillas, Pepe, Khedira, Ronaldo, Benzema, Özil, Marcelo, Alonso, Arbeloa, Albiol & Higuaín.

VAL: Guaita, Rami, Topal, Feghouli, Adúriz, Piatti, Alba, V.Ruiz, Costa, Parejo & Tino Costa.

Not sure how well both Benzema&Higuain will perform against a tough team. Would've preferred Benzema/Higuain & Kaka as his form has been great.

Dc nobody doubts your credentials as a city fan but coming out with that on the day city potentially handed the title to united after storming it at one stage just seems defeatist.

When Rovers go down I sure as Hell won't be proud to be the 20th Best team in the country.

If city come second after going out of the champions league in the first round and not winning a cup then this season is a failure for you.

No doubt your owner will throw more cash your way so it's only a matter of time anyway

MPW

Today's lineups.

Real Madrid-Valencia:

RM: Casillas, Pepe, Khedira, Ronaldo, Benzema, Özil, Marcelo, Alonso, Arbeloa, Albiol & Higuaín.

VAL: Guaita, Rami, Topal, Feghouli, Adúriz, Piatti, Alba, V.Ruiz, Costa, Parejo & Tino Costa.

Not sure how well both Benzema&Higuain will perform against a tough team. Would've preferred Benzema/Higuain & Kaka as his form has been great.

crap, we will need to score at least 3 goals to win

no di maria?

Wasn't that the season where Torres and Gerrard just went on a beasting spree? Because if so that's not really a strategy.

It was the season where every position was pretty much filled with a player who fitted exactly into Rafa's philosophy and formation, except for RW which was taken by Kuyt, a reformed striker.

376894_Liverpool.jpg

All of them had good seasons, it does them a massive disservice to ignore them because Gerrard and Torres were directly responsible for most of the goals, especially Alsonso who was our best player of the season

edit - How the fuck do you type your formations so they appear properly, rather than being formatted into a list?

Dc nobody doubts your credentials as a city fan but coming out with that on the day city potentially handed the title to united after storming it at one stage just seems defeatist.

When Rovers go down I sure as Hell won't be proud to be the 20th Best team in the country.

If city come second after going out of the champions league in the first round and not winning a cup then this season is a failure for you.

No doubt your owner will throw more cash your way so it's only a matter of time anyway

I think people's problems with it is DC goes out of his way to be City's PR man and tell everyone about what a wonderfully lovable club they are how everyone should respect them whether they win or whether they don't. In my view, you forfeit that right the moment you try to buy trophies like they have. Fine, have your trophies, but don't ask people to like you for it as well. And certainly don't expect an ounce of sympathy when you fuck it all up.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Opta tweeted Real Madrid's XI, so weird.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/552664_3672060364395_1361480845_3387970_2094773745_n.jpg[IMG]

Well played Balotelli, enjoy your ticket back to Milano.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe it was his second MoM performance in a row [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/iIxPY.gif

Forza Bonucci! More of this and less own goals please!

Soi-Fong

I think people's problems with it is DC goes out of his way to be City's PR man and tell everyone about what a wonderfully lovable club they are how everyone should respect them whether they win or whether they don't. In my view, you forfeit that right the moment you try to buy trophies like they have. Fine, have your trophies, but don't ask people to like you for it as well. And certainly don't expect an ounce of sympathy when you fuck it all up.

Well said. I understand the hate that some have for United here what with their lead-in to the 20th title, but you have to remember this is with a crapload of injuries and barely any of the transfer money Man City gets. You know how shitty this United squad is when we couldn't even get through the Europa league.

Seriously, with how much money has been spent to improve City's squad they should be ahead of United by the double digits.

This United team is poor, but Ferguson knows enough to get the best out of it and then some. Truly a legend... If Mourinho comes in and manages United, he'll have huge shoes to fill.

For the poster who said that there will be nothing at United for him to prove, you are dead wrong.

Feorax

God this team was ridiculous. Imagine if we'd managed to keep this team, except maybe with our current first choice fullbacks, Agger in place of Carra, and Suarez in place of Kuyt.

This is what worries me about the moneyball philosphy. It's sole purpose is to build teams like this and then sell them for a profit. Unless you re-invest extremely well, I can't see how it's possible to become a league winning team using this ideology.

dc89

"success will come to our club, look where we've come from, it's only a matter of time. Big thank you to the fans that came down in numbers"

Kompany is class. Ballotelli is a child amongst men like Kompany and Hart.

"success will come to our club, look where we've come from, it's only a matter of time. Big thank you to the fans that came down in numbers"

It's not just a matter of time though, it's a matter of getting it done, it could and probably should have been this year.

Otherwise he's right.

K1LLER7

like Kompany, top class defender/captain.

see valencia getting a goal here

God this team was ridiculous. Imagine if we'd managed to keep this team, except maybe with our current first choice fullbacks, Agger in place of Carra, and Suarez in place of Kuyt.

This is what worries me about the moneyball philosphy. It's sole purpose is to build teams like this and then sell them for a profit. Unless you re-invest extremely well, I can't see how it's possible to become a league winning team using this ideology.

Kuyt for an established right winger (or a Suarez-type. Agger for Carragher. Johnson for Arbeloa (maybe) That would have been enough, barring injuries I think. I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me, but Aurelio back then was much better than Enrique is now, just has horrendous luck with fitness. Damn you Alonso, and damn you Rafa for believing that Barry was fit to tie his boots for even a split-second.

That is the decision that will haunt me when it comes to Rafa. He tried to essentially trade a brilliant centre midfielder for a good CM, an average left winger and a mediocre left-back, when we had enough depth in all of those positions except for CM

bjaelke

I posted a quote from Benitez earlier today where he said that he wanted to buy Aquilani and Jovetic for the Alonso money. H&G were against that and only approved the purchase of Aquilani.

That Liverpool team was great but it was up against one of the best United sides in the clubs history.

VDS, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez were all at their best amongst other good players.

Feorax

I posted a quote from Benitez earlier today where he said that he wanted to buy Aquilani and Jovetic for the Alonso money. H&G were against that and only approved the purchase of Aquilani.

I suspect Rafa may have a decent handle on the moneyball philosophy, although there were too many mitigating factors to know for certain.

All I know is that if we were selling off a prized asset right now, i wouldn't trust the Kenny/Commoli combo to re-invest the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom