• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Disappointed the game is so early tomorrow especially since I could stream it on my iPad. I'm on vacation in Colorado for the weekend and the match starts at 5:30 AM MDT here. :( Can't wake up that early with the long day ahead of me.

Arnie

I've had about 2 hours sleep but I'm too nervous. Derbies are more hassle than they're worth. I go into a perpetual state of anxiety before and during the game.

rodvik

I think Breaking Bad is the best thing I've ever seen on TV... It's not my all time favorite (24, Lost and Friends are up there), but it's definitely the one with the most quality.

I need to watch The Wire. :<

You do, seasons 1 & 2 are brilliant. Then we get into some serious divisive territory as to whether the other seasons stand up quality wise to the first two.

they dont and the last season is garbage, go ahead call The Wire fanboys in, I dont give a fuck. :)

Arnie

The last season particularly saw a huge drop in plausibility, for me. It really felt off compared to the rest. 1-4 is superb stuff though, and unlike nearly all good shows the whole thing wraps up in a beautiful way.

rodvik

The last season particularly saw a huge drop in plausibility, for me. It really felt off compared to the rest. 1-4 is superb stuff though, and unlike nearly all good shows the whole thing wraps up in a beautiful way.

I would agree, although imho the quality of the show pretty much goes in order of airing, first is best etc. Season two in particular is incredibly underrated.

dc89

Has Van Persie been discussing his move to Man City tonight?

BTW, I don't think the two look that similar...but they do kinda...

Update - The man on the left is apparently part of RVP's management/agent staff.

In that case, dc89 WHERE YOU AT BUDDY.

Seriously though, if they are the same...wtf is Van Persie doing, and why the hell would he tweet this picture?

OMFG!!!!

M4YTW.gif

Arnie

Has anyone here upgraded to ESPN on Sky? How long does it take? I need to upgrade my nan's subscription and we want to do it through the red button. This whole thing has caught us all by surprise, we all thought the game was on ITV.

dc89

Has anyone here upgraded to ESPN on Sky? How long does it take? I need to upgrade my nan's subscription and we want to do it through the red button. This whole thing has caught us all by surprise, we all thought the game was on ITV.

Sadly I've not! It should be instant though, If you ask for Sky Movies through Sky for example they can just flick a switch and it comes through.

So sad the FA Cup isn't exclusive to ITV/BBC now.

Arnie

Sadly I've not! It should be instant though, If you ask for Sky Movies through Sky for example they can just flick a switch and it comes through.

So sad the FA Cup isn't exclusive to ITV/BBC now.

Cheers, I'm going to my Nan's within the hour so I'll try and sort it then. Giving her a lift to the bus stop for her weekly trip to Southport, the old hoot.

Pretty appalling that this game isn't on normal TV, or even Sky. I'm paying £9 for the match and my best mate paid £20 for his match ticket (Everton fan).

Wilbur

Banned
You do, seasons 1 & 2 are brilliant. Then we get into some serious divisive territory as to whether the other seasons stand up quality wise to the first two.

they dont and the last season is garbage, go ahead call The Wire fanboys in, I dont give a fuck. :)

Last seasons still really good but meh. 4>2>3>1>5

And come on Everton!

Arnie

Done, it's set up, gave them a ring. Now to get a couple hours kip before things get serious.

Spent far too long talking my Nan through the Grand National. She always puts a bet on number 7 and number 13, strange custom.

Just seen this boss banner:

ALL THE KINGS HORSES AND ALL THE KINGS MEN WON MORE CUPS IN ONE YEAR THAN MOYES HAS IN TEN

elseanio

Done, it's set up, gave them a ring. Now to get a couple hours kip before things get serious.

Spent far too long talking my Nan through the Grand National. She always puts a bet on number 7 and number 13, strange custom.

Haha, ever get lucky with it?

I feel obliged to put a bet on Mon Mome since it won me over £300 @ 100/1 a couple years ago. got a fiver on it @ 61/1

I'm actually £28 up from Ladies Day, got lucky with a 16/1 and a 12/1. Will no doubt lose it all today with footy and the national.

Arnie

Haha, ever get lucky with it?

I feel obliged to put a bet on Mon Mome since it won me over £300 @ 100/1 a couple years ago. got a fiver on it @ 61/1

I'm actually £28 up from Ladies Day, got lucky with a 16/1 and a 12/1. Will no doubt lose it all today with footy and the national.

She said she's won a fair bit over the years, that was as a reaction to me laughing at her betting methodology.

You on the coach now? Did you use that ticket in the end? Might bob down the shop and by a Times to read the Carra interview before the game. Oh and revel in the Bebe fraud story.

elseanio

She said she's won a fair bit over the years, that was as a reaction to me laughing at her betting methodology.

You on the coach now? Did you use that ticket in the end? Might bob down the shop and by a Times to read the Carra interview before the game. Oh and revel in the Bebe fraud story.

Far from it, I'm in work :( My dads already in London though, he has my ticket and travelled down yesterday.

dc89

@OptaParody: 35 - BREAKING: Late entry for the Grand National, jockey L. Suarez wearing all white jersey & hat will be riding 35/1 Andy Carroll. Donkey
@optaparody

Choc

Banned
Everton wins, Kenny sacked tonight?

interesting that the US owners have chosen opening game of Red Sox over this massive game for Liverpool

Salazar

Everton wins, Kenny sacked tonight?

Liverpool culture is intensely concerned with notions of honour and shame.

tumblr_ls03p3ztql1qlhgfrjr.gif

I would certainly expect some kind of mildly chastising gesture. Public disappointment, no doubt.

It is conceivable that they would get Kenny to do an "Och, I've taken the club as far as I can" presser, but the man's ego couldn't handle that. Better to walk softly up behind him and sack him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
^Awesome gif
Yo548.gif

Allegri: "Muntari's ghost goal is weighing in a devastating manner"

Kill me now.

Conte responded

"This issue has become deathly dull,&#8221; replied Conte in this morning&#8217;s press conference. &#8220;After our reaction at Parma we were told to shut up, which is what we did. The others talk every three days and continually repeat the same things.

&#8220;In all honesty, this bores me. But then that&#8217;s football, let&#8217;s move on. Would we deserve the Scudetto? A week ago you said if Juve win then it&#8217;s deserved, now seven days later you&#8217;ve already changed your minds.&#8221;

GorillaJu

It's a big night, and it'll be an exciting game for the supporters of both sides. The best I can hope for is that there are goals, and that the better side wins. If we win, I'll be stoked. But it'll still be a win for the "bad guys."

The Mirror says so.

Choc

Banned
Fenways (the stadium) 100th anniversary this year. The opening game seems like a pretty huge deal; maybe if it was the final.

ok thats a pretty big deal, agreed.

tough call :)

anyone see the story where Luis wanker said he would cheat again (ala world cup 2010) to put Liverpool into the FA Cup final (handball on line to stop goal, red card) etc

I'm actually going to shock you all and say that in a way this is a LEGITIMATE move by a player. I have seen it many times as a referee in finals where a player 'takes one for the team'. Yes to an extent its exploting the laws of the game, but you foul and you are sent off and the rules allow for this to happen because there is no 'penalty goals' like in rugby for example

calling that cheating, is a bit extreme. Yes its very, very bad sportsmanship, but its not cheating under the LOTG.

GorillaJu

ok thats a pretty big deal, agreed.

tough call :)

anyone see the story where Luis wanker said he would cheat again (ala world cup 2010) to put Liverpool into the FA Cup final (handball on line to stop goal, red card) etc

I'm actually going to shock you all and say that in a way this is a LEGITIMATE move by a player. I have seen it many times as a referee in finals where a player 'takes one for the team'. Yes to an extent its exploting the laws of the game, but you foul and you are sent off and the rules allow for this to happen because there is no 'penalty goals' like in rugby for example

calling that cheating, is a bit extreme. Yes its very, very bad sportsmanship, but its not cheating under the LOTG.

You aren't shocking anyone, you're just bringing up a discussion that was already discussed to death, and a lot of people come on the same side of the argument. The bottom line is that Suarez brought his team to the next stage of the World Cup [double]handedly. He made the decision that a player who loves and supports his team should have done.

--

Speaking of the Mirror, there is actually a good piece here by Brian Reade. I believe he wrote a couple other good articles earlier this season that I really liked. http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opi...ien-Comolli-out-of-Anfield-article890035.html. I can't remember what it was. I think it was about Twitter.

Arnie

Brian Reade's class, he wrote a couple of Liverpool books, one of which I own. Great read for Liverpool fans, and indeed United ones considering their current ownership plight.

Although I say plight, you're more than likely about to win the Premier League. Put me in your shoes and I'd be running over snake pass stark naked with a sparkly cone hat on my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom