• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So salty. Ifs, buts and maybes - how well did Spurs play, honestly, aside from the phantom goal? Bale? Lennon? Modric? Anonymous. Drogba bossed the back 4, Mata was hugely influential and even some of the fringe players stepped up today. Chech didn't have much to do at all in the second half - and for all the talk of our second "deflating" Spurs - after that goal they performed better than they did throughout the entire game.

Chelsea were the better side, I don't dispute that. You scored some good goals and defended well. You also got a free goal from the referee and forced us to chase when we should have been level. We crumbled with our old CBs in the last 20 minutes but had we not had to go mad after that travesty of a goal we might have had a bit left in the tank. For an hour I thought it was very close.

There's always a lot of talk about how players disrespect officials, and they do at times and it's sad to see when players at swearing and them etc. But I 100% understand why players have no respect for officials, because they are terrible.

Today in both games there were such bad calls and such inconsistency and calls made which are just inexplicable. Calls which I just don't see any logic behind.

If I'm a player who runs myself into the ground day in day out and all my hard work is undone because an official isn't up to the task, I'd be mad.

Sad state of affairs.

Kyoufu

There's always a lot of talk about how players disrespect officials, and they do at times and it's sad to see when players at swearing and them etc. But I 100% understand why players have no respect for officials, because they are terrible.

Today in both games there were such bad calls and such inconsistency and calls made which are just inexplicable. Calls which I just don't see any logic behind.

If I'm a player who runs myself into the ground day in day out and all my hard work is undone because an official isn't up to the task, I'd be mad.

Sad state of affairs.

Well said.

FA has been stubborn for far too long. It's time to make changes for the better.

Chelsea away is gonna be such a massive game.

Yup. I was confident we'd beat them but since AVB left they've been playing pretty well :/

Hope we win!

Moobabe

I getcha.

Chelsea were the better side, I don't dispute that. You scored some good goals and defended well. You also got a free goal from the referee and forced us to chase when we should have been level. We crumbled with our old CBs in the last 20 minutes but had we not had to go mad after that travesty of a goal we might have had a bit left in the tank. For an hour I thought it was very close.

It's a shame - I thought it was a cracking game. Very few fouls breaking up play, end to end stuff. As for the goal - and I know how this sounds - I've yet to see a definitive angle showing it didn't cross the line. In real time, as it happened, I thought it was a goal. On subsequent replays, for me, there's no clear angle one way or another - but giving it was a bad decision.

ShogunX

Has there ever been a Harry Redknapp team that doesn't look absolutely knackered at this stage of the season? Not sure he rotates enough leaving important players looking jaded.

Diablos54

I getcha.

It's a shame - I thought it was a cracking game. Very few fouls breaking up play, end to end stuff. As for the goal - and I know how this sounds - I've yet to see a definitive angle showing it didn't cross the line.
Apart from the 700 replays showing it didn't even reach the line, more like cross it.

Ushojax

Has there ever been a Harry Redknapp team that doesn't look absolutely knackered at this stage of the season? Not sure he rotates enough leaving important players looking jaded.

He doesn't, it's a major problem but we have so many old/injury prone players that it's unavoidable. I think we looked fine for 70 minutes but we really needed Sandro to come on to help in midfield, not another striker. Defoe just got in the way and did nothing for 20 minutes.

Moobabe said:
It's a shame - I thought it was a cracking game. Very few fouls breaking up play, end to end stuff. As for the goal - and I know how this sounds - I've yet to see a definitive angle showing it didn't cross the line. In real time, as it happened, I thought it was a goal. On subsequent replays, for me, there's no clear angle one way or another - but giving it was a bad decision.

Martin is that you? The TV replays were perfectly clear. The whole of the ball never even came close to crossing the line, it was a standard goal-line clearance.

Clegg

We should have had video refs years ago.

The problem is that footballs governing body is run by the biggest clown in existence.

All the time works for him, obviously he's going to score some goals. But he can't make a single chance on his own...
Gomez is very one dimensional. I don't rate him. He is a good player and you can't argue with the amount of goals he scores so fair enough, but yeah, just too simple a player for me. When you play one up front you need that guy to be damn good. Bayern get him enough service most days because their midfield is so damn good but he can't hold it up and as you say he hardly ever makes anything for himself.

If Bayern had, just for example, Van Persie, oh wow, shit would be unreal.

DominoKid

So salty. Ifs, buts and maybes - how well did Spurs play, honestly, aside from the phantom goal? Bale? Lennon? Modric? Anonymous. Drogba bossed the back 4, Mata was hugely influential and even some of the fringe players stepped up today. Chech didn't have much to do at all in the second half - and for all the talk of our second "deflating" Spurs - after that goal they performed better than they did throughout the entire game.

they were right in it until the robbery goal.

lol it didnt even make it to the line. let alone cross it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Oh gosh that wit

Sorry
5YRcF.gif

Wilbur

Banned
Gomez is very one dimensional. I don't rate him. He is a good player and you can't argue with the amount of goals he scores so fair enough, but yeah, just too simple a player for me. When you play one up front you need that guy to be damn good. Bayern get him enough service most days because their midfield is so damn good but he can't hold it up and as you say he hardly ever makes anything for himself.

I don't think he's a great player, not in the slightest. But like you say their midfield is so good all he needs to do is put it in. And he's very good at that.

I dislike the word "banter" and all its derivatives.

"Bants" is an especially vile word.

The problem with the word banter is that its an awful sounding word, used as a catch-all for any number of contexts and often an escape word when someone's made a tit of themselves. But I can't think of any synonyms and its used in situations which occur very often in sports discussions, so its all we've got

Is it fair to say that Gomez is a better Hernandez?

Clegg

The problem with the word banter is that its an awful sounding word, used as a catch-all for any number of contexts and often an escape word when someone's made a tit of themselves. But I can't think of any synonyms and its used in situations which occur very often in sports discussions, so its all we've got

Is it fair to say that Gomez is a better Hernandez?

I agree with it being an escape word.

Didn't Grey and Keys use "banter" as an excuse for their sexism?

I found that excuse particularly funny.

Ushojax

Well it was 1-0 until the robbery goal, and 2-1 shortly after it - if anything the impetus of actually scoring gave Spurs a better chance of winning it.

Sure it gave us a lift but who's to say we wouldn't have scored when 1-0 behind? We had good chances in the first half and got into promising positions, 1-0 is nothing, we were matching you. Your second goal was simply not a goal. Had we been able to keep it tight, not run around going mental, our two old mules in the centre of defense might have lasted longer than 65 minutes. Like I said, Chelsea deserved to win, but they got a huge slice of luck at a crucial time.

I agree with it being an escape word.

Didn't Grey and Keys use "banter" as an excuse for their sexism?

I found that excuse particularly funny.

I've seen it used as an escape for ignorance of the causes of the Hillsborough disaster and blaming Liverpool fans for it on another forum. Its a bit like how you'll sometimes see people on discussion boards make a fool ofthemself and then pretend they were trolling when they get called out

Moobabe

Sure it gave us a lift but who's to say we wouldn't have scored when 1-0 behind? We had good chances in the first half and got into promising positions, 1-0 is nothing, we were matching you. Your second goal was simply not a goal. Had we been able to keep it tight, not run around going mental, our two old mules in the centre of defense might have lasted longer than 65 minutes.

Who's to say we wouldn't have scored again? After all 1-0 is nothing, and we were matching you. And our "ageing" players showed they still have the energy and quality to affect a game at this level.

elsk

Banned

Pretty much. If we had someone like Drogba, now that would be incredible. I'm still hoping we buy some interesting striker in the summer. We're buying one for sure but there are rumors of the board trying to buy an old guy just to be backup and nothing more... but there's still a little chance of we buying someone younger and more talented.

Clegg

Comfortably.

If Hernandez keeps developing his game and gets consistent I can see him being a similarish player to Gomez, scores a lot of goals but on the whole poor in other areas.

I wish we had another Ruud.

He was a selfish bastard but he could actually play a bit too.

Wilbur

Banned
I wish we had another Ruud.

He was a selfish bastard but he could actually play a bit too.

He's my favourite player ever joint with Scholes. 150 in 200 games. I know Messi and Ronaldo are making a mockery of records like that but just phenomenal

Ushojax

Who's to say we wouldn't have scored again? After all 1-0 is nothing, and we were matching you. And our "ageing" players showed they still have the energy and quality to affect a game at this level.

Nobody, both teams were doing well. But only one team had the referee score on their behalf. Nobody is going to remember this 5-1 as a complete thrashing of a dire Tottenham. They will remember it for a game-changing refereeing error that gave a strong Chelsea an unfair advantage over a lively Tottenham who then crumbled once their imbecile of a manager put Defoe on instead of Sandro and destroyed our midfield.

I've seen it used as an escape for ignorance of the causes of the Hillsborough disaster and blaming Liverpool fans for it on another forum. Its a bit like how you'll sometimes see people on discussion boards make a fool ofthemself and then pretend they were trolling when they get called out

Hey we used to have a member here that did that all the time. What a joy he was too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom