• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Graeme Souness, don't forget Graeme Souness. Ultimately if Liverpool had kept winning then it wouldn't have mattered about how they marketed overseas, the fans would have come anyway. But Souness's disastrous handling of the club set Liverpool back years on the pitch, then by the time that Houllier came along there was already a huge gap established.

Man Utd would have ovetaken us eventually either way I feel, with their finances and quality of management and academy. If we weren't mismanaged so badly from top to bottom though, we'd have at least made a decent fist of stopping them :(

Souness was a joke and the perfect example of what I said earlier about our obsession for promoting from within, and letting senimentality cloud our judgement. This harmful sentimentality amongst the fans has crept back into our mindset now that Kenny's back tbh, and was in evidence within the club itself when Rafa was so reluctant to let Skrtel and Agger play with one-another.

The weight of Man Utd's history spurs them on. Ours is an albatross around the neck. That's a nice way of putting it, even if I do say so myself :p

elsk

Banned
The canadian goalkeeper is just amazing. He could play in almost any european side.
Canada U23 deserved to play the Olympics :( (more than us!)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Watched the highlights just now :/ Oh well, congrats to Mexico. Now that they beat us, they better win it all.

Pulido and Fabian are Mexico's future strikers, it seems. They're quite talented.
There were rumours a few months ago that Pulido was being scouted by Manchester United.

Imo Fabián needs to be in the absolute team, we need someone to play as an enganche in order to actually feed Chicharito some balls. Gio works better as a winger anyway.

sohois

Man Utd would have ovetaken us eventually either way I feel, with their finances and quality of management and academy. If we weren't mismanaged so badly from top to bottom though, we'd have at least made a decent fist of stopping them :(

Souness was a joke and the perfect example of what I said earlier about our obsession for promoting from within, and letting senimentality cloud our judgement. This harmful sentimentality amongst the fans has crept back into our mindset now that Kenny's back tbh, and was in evidence within the club itself when Rafa was so reluctant to let Skrtel and Agger play with one-another.

The weight of Man Utd's history spurs them on. Ours is an albatross around the neck. That's a nice way of putting it, even if I do say so myself :p

Man Utd's finances arose from their success, without it they could never have achieved such fortunes. And whilst Utd did have a host of talented players come through their academy in the early 90s, don't forget that Liverpool produced some great talent in that time as well, the likes of Fowler & Mcmanaman and there were some others I think but I can't remember that far back.

Souness was not actually promoted from within, he was bought from Rangers where he had been doing well and all evidence suggested that he was a good manager, there was nothing to suggest that he would be so awful. Furthermore, the only reason he was even hired was due to Kenny's resignation following Hillsborough. And on your last point, Carra & Agger were a better partnership until Rafa's last season really.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
The canadian goalkeeper is just amazing. He could play in almost any european side.
Canada U23 deserved to play the Olympics :( (more than us!)

no mames broder.

well then honduras should've given up their spot then to canada...lol.
also I didn't see the pupusas vs whatever national honduran food earlier. I heard it got good. So many defensive mistakes between the 2 supposedly.

elsk

Banned
no mames broder.

well then honduras should've given up their spot then to canada...lol.
also I didn't see the pupusas vs whatever national honduran food earlier. I heard it got good. So many defensive mistakes between the 2 supposedly.

What? The canadian goalkeeper was the better goalie in the entire tournament.
Yes, it was fun (well, Idk I'm biased obviously). I don't really know how we managed to win, they play better as a team... we only have individual talents and that's it. We got lucky.

The final is on monday?

sohois

I was bored at work so decided to see if this thread has actually fallen off since moving to community.

The last thread reached the 60th page in 3 days from the start of the thread.
This thread has reached the 60th page in 4 days from the start of the thread.

In terms of views, OT7 manged 508000 in 25 days, roughly 20000 views per day. This thread is on beginning its 5th day and is on 70000 views basically about 17000 views per day.

So activity appears to have slightly fallen but there is no account for matches that were on.

dc89

Just catching up with MoTD! Torres goal was good, I think Fady will be really happy with that. Speaking of Fady, I've noticed he's yet to post in this thread, does he not agree with the changes and he's having a silent protest?

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
What? The canadian goalkeeper was the better goalie in the entire tournament.
Yes, it was fun (well, Idk I'm biased obviously). I don't really know how we managed to win, they play better as a team... we only have individual talents and that's it. We got lucky.

The final is on monday?

that still doesn't translate how he's able to play for any euro team abroad. If he was the best GK in the tournament than how come Mexico was able to score 3 then? Also, this is CONCACAF level of competition not UEFA, or CONMEBOL level. Moreover, he hasn't been tested much internationally and for you to come up with that conclusion is quite naive dont you think? Finally, compared to other CONCACAF goalies, you have a point somewhat...so far Mexico's gk has gotten scored on twice instead of 4 like the Canadian gk.

and yes Liborio sucks clearing the ball at times but his final days as our preferred olympics gk is done. I hope he gets replaced with Corona for the Olympics.

yes its monday at 5pm pst

Oxx

Just catching up with MoTD! Torres goal was good, I think Fady will be really happy with that. Speaking of Fady, I've noticed he's yet to post in this thread, does he not agree with the changes and he's having a silent protest?

Fady got lost trying to find this thread in Community and is now trapped inside Furry-GAF.

Fady K

Hey guys : D

Edit - If I did not reply to anyone, worry not, I'll reply to each and every one of you later on today (those I missed from the last thread as well!) :D I miss you guys very much :) I wish you all well.

rodvik

Edit - If I did not reply to anyone, worry not, I'll reply to each and every one of you later on today (those I missed from the last thread as well!) :D I miss you guys very much :) I wish you all well.

image.php

What madness is this?

dc89

I didn't recognise you for your avatar! Bring back Juan!

panty

Happy April fools day everyone.

Interesting matches today,

Newcastle - Liverpool
Tottenham - Swansea
AS Roma - Novara
Inter Milan - Genoa
Juventus - Napoli

aaand that's about it.

Time to boot up FM.

Anderson

Best we can hope for is that Spurs draw against Swansea but the swans are a different team away from home.

Was at QPR yesterday and it was our worst performance since Liverpool away, difference was RVP couldn't take that chance to win it. But QPR deserved the 3 points overall, pains me to say it as I hate Mark Hughes and Barton.

Wilbur

Banned
QPR have to go down this year because if they stay up they'll only improve; Hughes, despite being a wanker, is a good manager when he's bedded in, hence recent results. If they stay up they'll be much stronger next year.

Missing all the good games except Juventus-Napoli due to work. Fuck you, work.

I think you alluded to it in one of your earlier posts also, but yeah, I think Liverpool as a club can sometimes seem a little complacent and be "muddled" and almost satisfied by the immense history which is already a part of the club.

I think the situation with Daglish is a lot like that, any other manager would be facing the wrath of the fans by now; FWIW I do think it's right that a legend like Daglish earns greater patience from fans, or if not right than its entirely natural. That's why I said a few days ago that LFC should look to move away from their past now, not break all ties with it but move in a totally fresh and new direction, retain key components of the history but with new personnel who write their own chapters.

It's going to be interesting to see how the fans react at Old Trafford when Ferguson, Giggs, Scholes, perhaps even Bobby Charlton in the directors box depart. They've been so central to the club for 20 years now. Longer term, if one of the long time players ever became manager and didn't get off to a great start I wonder what the reaction would be there.

So that weird Balotelli video from yesterday?

Italian press are saying Mancini set it up as some kind of test for Balotelli to put him back in touch with "real life". He expected Balotelli to walk past...of course he didn't.

I don't know, seems strange...apparently the guy who helped Mancini set it up works at Inter and has spoken about it in the Italian papers. No idea if true. Maybe all set up for today as it's April Fools?

Also stories today that City are preparing to sell him.

Messi

What a great preformance by Gerard Pique yesterday. Glad to see the imposter pique has been seeminly banished from the field and the real pique has come back.

Also to a lesser extent, great game by Mascherano.

Is Cesc hurt? Did I miss him picking up a knock.

Oh and Real's second goal was a touch of class. Great goal.

I thought Souness was the guy that gave a lot of the young players that would go on to be the Spice Boys their debut?

image.php

What madness is this?

april fools days haha
I freaked out, I thought he'd forsaken the blues brothers...

Can see it. Should be dropped until he signs a new contract tbh. No way he should be starting tmrw.

Gareth Bale says moving to Barcelona or Real Madrid would be a "once in a life time opportunity".

baleout.gif
Is Gareth Bale not just about the most overrated guy in out there? I think so.

sohois

I thought Souness was the guy that gave a lot of the young players that would go on to be the Spice Boys their debut?

They probably would have gotten their debuts regardless though - Fowler was scoring 20 plus league goals at 19, for example.

Arnie

Journeying round to me nans in 20 minutes to watch the match. I've missed her semi-coherent ramblings about how she loves Michael Owen because she's seen his helicopter in Southport. Then I tell her that he doesn't play for us anymore and she defers her attentions to Gerrard instead.

offshore

Please don't let Perch and Williamson be our central defenders; please don't let Perch and Williamson be our central defenders...

Krul; Simpson, Williamson, Perch, Gutierrez (c)

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom