• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sleepy

Ridiculously off topic question here. Don't really know why I'm asking anyway because there's nothing to go on at all on the next gen consoles yet. But if you had to pick one right now... Nextbox or PS4?

and you can't say PC

Skipping nextgen, going with a 3DS.

I cannot fucking believe Arsenal lost today. Fuck that shit.

elseanio

At least it's only 24 hours till wrestlemania, he may support a bad team but bootaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay is easily the best wrestle gaf poster.

Kyfou (sorry its late) and chriswok you watching? Who else is?

Oooh long Johnson

Edit: nextbox

My friends there, he's gonna have a Purple Aki sign. Think he's pretty close to ring too.

And I'll probably get a PS4. Anything multiplatform I will get on the PC, and a prefer PS3 "exclusive" teams ( notably: ND, Santa Monica, Liverpool, thatgamecompany). A lot can change though

sneaky77

Ridiculously off topic question here. Don't really know why I'm asking anyway because there's nothing to go on at all on the next gen consoles yet. But if you had to pick one right now... Nextbox or PS4?

and you can't say PC

probably nextbox unless something strange happens

I'll be watching Wrestlemania this year as well. Haven't watched wrestling since the Rock left, one of the main reasons I'm watching again this year.

I'll probably watch. Saw last years, pretty much the only wrestling I watch now, gone downhill so badly.

What's the card?

Rock v cena in a noone gives a shit match

HHH v taker in a cell with hbk as ref

Punk v Jericho for WWE title

Bryan v Sheamus for heavyweight

Some divas shit

Cody v big show

Some throwaway multi man tag

Edit: Sunhi make gifs lol

Elseanio my mate from Liverpool is there and I'm jealous

Some divas shit

Cody v big show

Actually sounds pretty decent. Taker vs HHH again? Hmm, can Taker really lose at WM?!?!

Clegg

Some divas shit

Cody v big show

Edit: Sunhi make gifs lol

Elseanio my mate from Liverpool is there and I'm jealous
Never thought I'd see CM Punk and Daniel Bryan go into Wrestlemania as the heavyweight champions of their respective brands.

I'm fans of both but they really don't fit the WWE stereotype of heavyweight wrestlers.

I think Punk/Jericho will be match if the night. Provided they get enough time of course.

It really annoys me how Owen Coyle says Barclays Premier League every time he talks about... the Barclays Premier League.
It's only fitting, after all he took Bolton Wanderers Football Club to Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club today.

Coyle sure does speaking in full and exact terms.

Hixx

He'll probably get paid for the 'Barclays' bit.

A bit like footballers getting paid by Lucozade or whatever when they're pictured drinking from a branded bottle during a game.

Every single game.

aYzdD.png

JPwRd.png

Extra laughs for the refs position and still not calling it...

If Taker's streak is ended as an ego-boost for HHH, I'm gonna kill someone. If his streak is ended, I really hope it's done as a way to put somebody over, or at least done on Taker's request.

Kyoufu

If Taker's streak is ended as an ego-boost for HHH, I'm gonna kill someone. If his streak is ended, I really hope it's done as a way to put somebody over, or at least done on Taker's request.

Yeah don't worry. It's not ending tomorrow.

Can't wait for the Newcastle v Liverpool game. Really need the 3 points to stay level with Chelsea.

Problem is, we're Newcastle. When we're given something on a plate, we drop it all over the floor.

I like how Man City are the new Newcastle though :lol

Even if you do drop Carragher's meal all over the floor, he'll glady cook you another one.

Now, let's take this oppurtunity to discuss the truly inexplicible and unjustifiable decisions that our clubs have made in recent history.

I'll start us off with two:

Carragher being preferred over Coates by Kenny
Wolves sacking Mick McCarthy without having anyone even half-decent lined up

Clegg

Maybe they think we're not welcoming or something?

I've seen someone with a Liverpool avatar posting in some threads but never in here.

Wilbury probably scares them away.

Kyoufu

Maybe they think we're not welcoming or something?

I've seen someone with a Liverpool avatar posting in some threads but never in here.

Wilbury probably scares them away.

I wouldn't want to post here as a Liverpool fan either. :p

This part of GAF is heaven for Man United fans.

Sloosha

Because I just watched the match:

TORRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

Our midfield is terrible though.

rodvik

and you can't say PC

Possibly neither. But if I do end up getting one its likely to be a couple of years after launch. Probably PS4 assuming they dont charge for online.

rififi

On Higuain's first goal, I thought Ronaldo was going to pull a Nani and steal the goal for himself, glad he didn't (although he tried to later on in the match).

Btw, what is going on with Cesc?

rodvik

Even if you do drop Carragher's meal all over the floor, he'll glady cook you another one.

Now, let's take this oppurtunity to discuss the truly inexplicible and unjustifiable decisions that our clubs have made in recent history.

I'll start us off with two:

Carragher being preferred over Coates by Kenny
Wolves sacking Mick McCarthy without having anyone even half-decent lined up

Hiring Alex McLeish in the face of overwhelming protests and bafflement from everyone in the footballing press.

Paying for Alex McLeish. Yes we actually paid for him because we in fact recruited him from Birmingham where he was under contract.

Deciding after Houiller left that our two TOP choices were Wigan and Birminghams managers.

Not getting in a midfielder in January when it has been mentioned consistently by the manager and fans alike that this was our weak area and a few injuries and we woud be in big trouble.

Jermain Jenas. Signing up to play his wages for the entire season on a LOAN when his contract only had a year left to run. Then when he got injured we are still on the hook to pay him the entire season.

Thats just my club :) Other clubs may have longer lists (Jeff?) I would say Liverpols $100M spending is probably up there though.

Clegg

We've hated you since way before the moment you became better than us :p

I still don't understand how Liverpool went from dominating in the 70's/80's, to the position that they're in now. You can't expect success to last forever,but at the very least you can lay down the foundations for success in the future.

Is a lack of forward planning by Liverpool in the 80's the reason they haven't won the league in 20 odd years?

rififi

I still don't understand how Liverpool went from dominating in the 70's/80's, to the position that they're in now. You can't expect success to last forever,but at the very least you can lay down the foundations for success in the future.

Is a lack of forward planning by Liverpool in the 80's the reason they haven't won the league in 20 odd years?

They did win the CL in 2005 (one of the best matches I have ever seen), and a few FA cups, and up until recently consistently were a top 3 team. But I think recent events are mainly due to financial problems? and poor management. But really it isn't necessarily just a decline, poor forward planning after the 80's, it's that Manchester United have dominated the past 2 decades, Sir Alex is something else.

Struggle to adapt to changing styles of football
Over-reliance on promotion from within
Constant squads full of overpriced individuals and below-par squad players

Perhaps the main reason is our completely catastrophic handling of the Division 1 to Prmiership rebranding. The door was open to show the club to the world-market, using our reputation and recent success to capture the hundreds of millions of potential fans who suddenly had the one of the best leagues in the world being shoved in their faces. Instead we fucked about trying to cling onto our traditions and business models while you played an absolute blinder in marketing, from sponsorship to well-judged pre-season friendlies, even to giving old shirts to charity and exposing your brand to people who may not put any money directly into the club, but certainly did no harm.

Meanwhile we sat on the throne, so confident in our innate ability to stay there we let these new oppurtunities for growth slip past, and only tried rectifying it when it was far too late. So we ended up as a huge club with a huge British fanbase, but an average-sized stadium (for the Premier League) and nowhere near the number of foreign fans you'd expect for a club of our supposed stature.

Doesn't help that the only really, really good transfer window we've had in the last 10 years has been Rafa's first.

Clegg

Perhaps the main reason is our completely catastrophic handling of the Division 1 to Prmiership rebranding. The door was open to show the club to the world-market, using our reputation and recent success to capture the hundreds of millions of potential fans who suddenly had the one of the best leagues in the world being shoved in their faces. Instead we fucked about trying to cling onto our traditions and business models while you played an absolute blinder in marketing, from sponsorship to well-judged pre-season friendlies, even to giving old shirts to charity and exposing your brand to people who may not put any money directly into the club, but certainly did no harm.

Meanwhile we sat on the throne, so confident in our innate ability to stay there we let these new oppurtunities for growth slip past, and only tried rectifying it when it was far too late. So we ended up as a huge club with a huge British fanbase, but an average-sized stadium (for the Premier League) and nowhere near the number of foreign fans you'd expect for a club of our supposed stature.

Doesn't help that the only really, really good transfer window we've had in the last 10 years has been Rafa's first.
Thanks for the analysis. FSG seem to be doing a lot to rectify Liverpools brand image but even so, I think Pool will need a massive overhaul with their squad. The biggest problem is Gerrard.

He's been your talisman for so many years that finding a like for like replacement is impossible. And he's only got a few years left in him Lucas could be a player that the team could rally around but he won't influence things further up the pitch.

Thanks for the analysis. FSG seem to be doing a lot to rectify Liverpools brand image but even so, I think Pool will need a massive overhaul with their squad. The biggest problem is Gerrard.

He's been your talisman for so many years that finding a like for like replacement is impossible. And he's only got a few years left in him Lucas could be a player that the team could rally around but he won't influence things further up the pitch.

Replacing Gerrard is a lost cause, we just have to accept that there's no chance we'll be getting a player anywhere near as good as him. Our immediate concern is keeping the players who can propel us back towards the loft heights of fourth (¬¬) Reina, Agger, Skrtel, Johnson, Enrique, Lucas and Suarez. I just don't think FSG will trust Kenny with the funds to ensure that Adam, Downing, Henderson, Spearing and Carroll will be on the bench (at best) next season, and I can't blame them to be honest. If that's the case, we'll probably have to cut our losses on Downing and Carroll (if, and its a big if, there are any takers) to free up money for players who'll actually contriubute towards stopping our decline into as it stands inevitable consistent midtable mediocrity.

Oddly enough, judging from our reserve and youth teams we've made absolutely no attempt to even try to find ourselves a Gerrard-in-the-making

sohois

And Graeme Souness, don't forget Graeme Souness. Ultimately if Liverpool had kept winning then it wouldn't have mattered about how they marketed overseas, the fans would have come anyway. But Souness's disastrous handling of the club set Liverpool back years on the pitch, then by the time that Houllier came along there was already a huge gap established.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom