• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty

I've got no idea but I want to read this book.

Finished the Graham Hunter Barca book by the way, fantastic stuff and I recommend.

about three quarters of the way through this at the moment. i was rolling my eyes constantly at some of the hyperbolic casting of barca as these pure gods and mourinho as a grand villain in the opening chapters, but it gets really good when it goes in depth on guardiola's management techniques and how they developed their youth system.

Messi

about three quarters of the way through this at the moment. i was rolling my eyes constantly at some of the hyperbolic casting of barca as these pure gods and mourinho as a grand villain in the opening chapters, but it gets really good when it goes in depth on guardiola's management techniques and how they developed their youth system.

nononoheej5.gif

Wilbur

Banned

Oh I agree, I've been more than blatant about my dislike for Barca and my Mourinho love in this thread but there's a section later on (you might be there already) about Mourinho's application for the job and I thought that was a brilliant section. He's demonised in it for sure but I couldn't help but agree with Txixi Burgerwurga on his analysis of the man.

And yes, the Guardiola stuff and everything about La Masia is great. He's a fantastic writer.

FuturusX

Messi,

Wait. No picture of Olivier...or some other suitably attractive lady....or the master of unlocking, Messi. But CR7... erm...what's going on?

Messi

Hunter is ridiculously pro-Barca.

This is so true its not even funny :p

Messi,

Wait. No picture of Olivier...or some other suitably attractive lady. Or the master of unlocking, Messi. But CR7... erm...what's going on?

It is april fools (plus I respect Ronaldo). The most attractive woman in the world (imo) will return soon :)

edit: looking at my clock it seems as though I look like a fool. April fools is over. :/

OOOOOH Thiago OOOOOh

thiago-bilbao.gif

Dat control.

Empty

being able to download new episodes of mad men and game of thrones on monday morning is the best way to start a week.

Igo

I'll just say that, generally, he will say outrageous things about referees without even blinking an eye. He openly berate other teams and managers (quite funny when he does) and invent wild theories regarding the FA and favoritism. He really is in a league of his own.

I'm hard pressed to think of a worse offender.
You're certainly right that his outbursts at refs and the ocassional reporter happen a bit too frequently, but Fergie doesn't really attack other clubs or managers at random. When he does have a go at another manager he's normally defending himself or the club. Don't start shit, won't be shit.

Arnie

To be fair mate, this is one of those things that I always find amusing when talking about a lack of success with fans of Premier League clubs. When Chelsea fans start talking about how much of a disgrace their team is, how they're not watching them anymore and how much they hate the players right now, because they're fifth in the league. When Liverpool fans turn on the manager and say it's been a crap season because you've only dared to win some silverware..

I know these things are all relative, so I'll try not to go too far down this conversation route, but seriously. If you want to talk about having to listen to "overreaction's", "bullshit", "tough days" and "swept with emotion", look at what club I support and then ask yourself if you're talking to the right guy or not. I don't want to sound like an arse, but I'm not going to dish out any sympathy to Liverpool's situation.

Kenny Dalglish is a man who handles himself poorly in the public limelight, is quite unlikeable to the neutral and who manages a huge club who many people like to see not get their own way. A club that is permanently in the spotlight. My advice, from somebody who has seen enough "tough", "swept with emotion" days to last a fucking lifetime is to either take it on the chin and deal with it or log off for the night and go grab a beer. There's absolutely no point getting your knickers in a twist because some guy on the internet you don't even know is posting comments you don't like about your manager. Thousands of others will be laughing harder and saying worse in forums, newspapers, radio phone ins, pubs and workplaces up and down the country.

You're right. And I'm someone who completely agrees with the notion that fans of successful EPL clubs can't really moan extensively because they're in a poor run of form. We aren't getting relegated, we've qualified for the Europa League, we've already won silverware and we're in the semi-final of the FA Cup.

I guess I just miss that feeling of going into games confident of a victory, and getting it. That's something that does translate to lower league clubs and it's my favourite part of football. It's a question I'd love to ask a Wolves fan whenever I meet one: Would you rather lost most weeks in the Premier League or win week in, week out in the Championship?

On a different track tomorrow I'll watch the new episode of Mad Men (fuck waiting until Tuesday) and Game of Thrones (already know the plot for season 2 but I'm still excited as fuck).

Messi

On a different track tomorrow I'll watch the new episode of Mad Men (fuck waiting until Tuesday) and Game of Thrones (already know the plot for season 2 but I'm still excited as fuck).

I still have to watch the premier of Mad Men. Damn work stopping me from having any free time and when I do get some i'm not in the mood to watch anything.

But was it good? no spoilers :)

rififi

Ozil is going nowhere I would think. If he did he would go to a top club.

He will probably go at some point (despite saying he would like to end his career at Real - but everyone says that) just not anytime soon . . . but maybe there is a chance since he always looks so miserable all the time (most likely because he is tired and a bit shy though).

Arnie

I still have to watch the premier of Mad Men. Damn work stopping me from having any free time and when I do get some i'm not in the mood to watch anything.

But was it good? no spoilers :)

Very good. Quite a bit of humour. Oh and a particularly rousing scene.

Rikkun

Hey guys.

NAPOLI.

ahahahahahah.

God my balls are in flames, after the match I had to sit down and see Ghost rider 2 in 3D and this consumed my happiness. A lot.

But I've never been so sure, I'll be at Juventus Stadium when the heat will rise. That's bloody sure.

FINO ALLA FINE FORZA JUVENTUS

Messi

I think I am going to scratch off another Major stadium from my bucket list. Starting to plan a trip to see Madrid play in the Bernabau (say what you will about being a barca fan ect ect, but i'd love to see the stadium, id just never be brave enough to go see a clasico there. so ill just pick a league game and hope they lose :) ). Or Maybe I should go see the San Siro to see AC or The Allianz to see Baaaaaaaayern.

Fairly certain I am being dragged to Old Trafford at the start of next season (not that I mind, actually) lovely looking stadium. I also like the look of the emirates.

I also have an itching to go to the Mestalla (I do not like Valencia, but they have a lovely stadium). Also on the list is San Memes because that place is awesome.

Oh and of course the Camp Nou at least twice next season like this year. But 1 big league team and 1 big CL team.

Messi

I highly recommend it, also you better hurry up because the new stadium is already on the way being built.

Yeah :(

From wiki:

Construction is scheduled to begin in April 2010, and when it is three quarters completed, Athletic Club will move into their new home and the original San Mamés will be demolished.

This is very sad to me.

sneaky77

Yeah :(

From wiki:

This is very sad to me.

it is.. but is kinda needed.. the last time we did major work on San Mames was for the 1982 WC.
The field is awesome but the rest of the stadium has major wear and tear by this point.

edit: This is the model for it assuming they stick to it
sm1.jpg

Messi

it is.. but is kinda needed.. the last time we did major work on San Mames was for the 1982 WC.
The field is awesome but the rest of the stadium has major wear and tear by this point.

Oh I am sure the new stadium will look and function much better, I just hope they don't lose the unique atmosphere it has. Great team to watch play and great supporters. Listening to the travelling fans in Old Trafford was something else.

I actually felt bad for them against Barcelona this weekend. They were obviously tired as the game wore on, but they kept it respectable and when it comes to the Copa Del Rey final it should be a much better game. The game earlier in the season 2-2 was amazing.

Edit: Oh wow, that model looks amazing. Should be a very pretty stadium if they stick to it.

Fry

Just found out GoT is airing right now where I live. I had no idea they could get it this fast.

But I chose another package instead of HBO's, I'm going to try calling there and see if they could exchange it for me, otherwise I'll have to buy it. :(

Messi

Why do I do this to myself, I just watched this:

David Villa "El Guaje" - I Will Be Back Stronger

ps: Start of this video upsets me :/ and its kind of nasty. I was very angry the day that happened. It was no ones fault just a freak accident. boots into grass, snapped tibia.

It makes me want him back now. He is an attacking option i'd love against Milan. I do believe Pedro has suffered somewhat from the lack of david villa (though pedro has his own problems). I also can't wait for the front line to be Villa-Messi-Sanchez.

--

Other news Eric Abidal will have his liver transplant on April 10th.

You're right. And I'm someone who completely agrees with the notion that fans of successful EPL clubs can't really moan extensively because they're in a poor run of form. We aren't getting relegated, we've qualified for the Europa League, we've already won silverware and we're in the semi-final of the FA Cup.

I guess I just miss that feeling of going into games confident of a victory, and getting it. That's something that does translate to lower league clubs and it's my favourite part of football. It's a question I'd love to ask a Wolves fan whenever I meet one: Would you rather lost most weeks in the Premier League or win week in, week out in the Championship?

You could just ask me :p But I would be gutted if we go down, really gutted but part of me would probably enjoy the actual games more

Watched Liverpool get sunk then went out for tapas and beer.

Damn, fadetoblack. Jericho is getting gentrified good. Had a fine last night here.

Not really mate. We got a bunch of our local shops shut down including Big Bang, amazing sausages there and pretty decent value even for Jericho. Rumour is we're getting a Tesco. Like we need another one.

Did you go for tapas on Little Clarendon at Al Andalus?

If you're still up for a quick pint do let me know. My schedule is fucking hectic at the moment but yeah could figure something out I think.

FootballFan

Just read through 35 pages, haven't been in this thread in a while. Had some laughs(Ronaldo better than Messi), some downs(Napoli getting smashed by Juve) and some mehs(beating a weakened and tired Bilbao)

I couldn't help but agree with Txixi Burgerwurga on his analysis of the man.

:lol :lol Burgerwurga.

Salazar

Not really mate. We got a bunch of our local shops shut down including Big Bang, amazing sausages there and pretty decent value even for Jericho. Rumour is we're getting a Tesco. Like we need another one.

Did you go for tapas on Little Clarendon at Al Andalus?

If you're still up for a quick pint do let me know. My schedule is fucking hectic at the moment but yeah could figure something out I think.

That's not good to hear. Yeah, I think it was there, and we went for a long (cold) walk around afterwards.

I have to fly back home this evening, but I will be back soon enough. Next year is Edinburgh, though. Already planned, already hyped.

neoanarch

Reading back to the liverpool match pages is hilarious. I want to see Newcastle in the CL. Someone guarantee me a Arsenal and Chelsea choke in the run in please

Speaking of Liverpool and their striker problems. There is a strong rumour going around in Mexico that they already bought this guy for 13 million.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Wc_qhvG94

Bumhead

Banned

I know a Wolves fan who emphatically insists he would rather be a Championship side. He hates just about everything about the Premier League experience, and that doesn't surprise me. Its a poison chalice.

Beyond that, fair post. I'm glad you took it the way it was intended and not that I was having a dig.

neoanarch

We were meant to have agreed to sign Marco Bueno, but now since he's in Pachua's first team and scoring plenty, who knows if he's joining.

I think there was a verbal agreement most likely, since he was underage nothing could be signed. I wouldn't worry about missing out on him he's one for the future not now. I for one would love if he stayed in Pachuca. He'll get plenty of first team experience if he does, and being so young he can still move abroad in a few years.

Yen

I think there was a verbal agreement most likely, since he was underage nothing could be signed. I wouldn't worry about missing out on him he's one for the future not now. I for one would love if he stayed in Pachuca. He'll get plenty of first team experience if he does, and being so young he can still move abroad in a few years.

Would have been nice to sign him for £1m now than for £10m in three years though! I know nothing about him except what I've seen in YouTube videos.

MPW

Just read through 35 pages, haven't been in this thread in a while. Had some laughs(Ronaldo better than Messi), some downs(Napoli getting smashed by Juve) and some mehs(beating a weakened and tired Bilbao)

:lol :lol Burgerwurga.

he is

in taking pk :D

Bale admits lure of La Liga

Spurs star Gareth Bale has admitted a move to Spanish giants Barcelona or Real Madrid would be hard to resist.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11827/7643607/Bale-admits-lure-of-La-Liga

all your best players belong to us :p

dc89

I think I am going to scratch off another Major stadium from my bucket list. Starting to plan a trip to see Madrid play in the Bernabau (say what you will about being a barca fan ect ect, but i'd love to see the stadium, id just never be brave enough to go see a clasico there. so ill just pick a league game and hope they lose :) ). Or Maybe I should go see the San Siro to see AC or The Allianz to see Baaaaaaaayern.

Fairly certain I am being dragged to Old Trafford at the start of next season (not that I mind, actually) lovely looking stadium. I also like the look of the emirates.

I also have an itching to go to the Mestalla (I do not like Valencia, but they have a lovely stadium). Also on the list is San Memes because that place is awesome.

Oh and of course the Camp Nou at least twice next season like this year. But 1 big league team and 1 big CL team.

I've been. And it's not nice. Sure it's big, but inside it was very cramped and there was zero space in your seat. I took my to watch the Neville testimonial and sat opposite the Stretford end. I also didn't appreciate the 20 minute wait to get a drink meaning I missed some of the 2nd half.

elseanio

Anyone here travelled to Ewood Park as an away fan? Wanna know if its fine taking a car down (parking by the ground) or if I should pay for a coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom