• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

DZhdJ.png

Apparently it's a pretty rampant strain of crazy.

Would that be from a few years ago when Ozil was still at Werder Bremen?

There were tons of rumours about him right after the World Cup. I remember reading that he was nailed on to join United at one stage, then Liverpool and the Madrid.

GorillaJu

I don't think so. To verify I checked a few other names that had their time as LFC fan pipe dreams. Juan Mata was on everyone's tongues for a good 3 months last summer and "Liverpool" doesn't show up anywhere in the top for him.

elseanio

Would that be from a few years ago when Ozil was still at Werder Bremen?

There were tons of rumours about him right after the World Cup. I remember reading that he was nailed on to join United at one stage, then Liverpool and the Madrid.

Think they were from January.

Wembley ticket booked. Still aint sure if I'm going :/

HnFmc.png

elseanio

It's just gonna be a massive hassle getting there. It's either £80 on the train, or 6 hours on a coach leaving at 5am. Most my match going mates are giving it a miss too (most already went to Wembley for the CCF) so I'd be going on my own.

I'd maybe go if I get a spare from my mate and drive down with my dad. Even then we'd be in different parts of the stadium

It's just gonna be a massive hassle getting there. It's either £80 on the train, or 6 hours on a coach leaving at 5am. Most my match going mates are giving it a miss too (most already went to Wembley for the CCF) so I'd be going on my own.

I'd maybe go if I get a spare from my mate and drive down with my dad. Even then we'd be in different parts of the stadium
If you get to the final, will you be able to get a ticket if you don't attend the semi?

This made me chuckle

@iainmacintosh: So excited about tonight. Their rivals are wobbling, can they tighten their grip on the crown? Big night for the Lannisters. #gameofthrones

elseanio

Yeh, will still be recorded on my fancard. That's another reason for me not going, I really can't afford two trips to London and would much rather take a chance on us getting the final and go then.

I see and fair enough to that!

So, by buying a ticket for the semi you're kinda pre-booking your ticket to the final? It works like that, am I getting it right?

Messi

Who are you gonna root for in the Olympics then? Spain?

No one, i'll just watch from the sidelines rooting for specific players (Cristian Tello, Isaac Cuenca and Martin Montoya, Romeu). If I had to pick someone i'd say spain, as I just love the style of football they play.

I am very happy Tello got his call up.

Edit: Spain are going to destroy Ireland in the Euro's and it will hurt me.

Keio

For a Finer World
For the less hardcore of gamers among us, I've been completely addicted to New Star Soccer on iOS for the past week or so. Here's the store link.

It's basically a "footballer's life simulator", where you play in games (only highlight moments), manage relations with sponsors, possible girlfriend etc., and try and advance your career.

Game mechanic is kind of similar to flick kick games, except you first set direction and power, and then curve by tapping on the ball.

mzl.wbapgulz.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.qofzaxsn.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.nvojapnb.320x480-75.jpg

I can't help but dig the fantasy, so I got completely addicted. After leading Newcastle and then Barca to domestic trebles (no Champions League in this unfortunately), and unlocking all the achievements.

It's a great game, especially after you realize that you can actually get the dumb AI teammates to run onto lofted through balls and things like that. The mechanics are deep enough for you to really start enjoying it.

It's free but career mode is in-app purchase. Never purchased any money with in-app purchase (except the last 500 coins to support the dev for giving me more than 10 hours of fun), here are my career stats:
newstarsoccer.png

Carbonox

I love waking up to see the madness on sports sites regarding Liverpool. It's some juicy shit.

Also, I saw this:

Andy Carroll: "I did not dive, you f****** c***," to Newcastle boss Alan Pardew, according to Eurosport

Really son? Really?

Good week ahead for football (well next three days anyway). Rovers and United today .. on ESPN .. in HD! And then the four CL games tomorrow and Wednesday.

dc89

Pardew has done a awesome job. Sold a big lump and replaced him with guys that can get the ball down and play some really good stuff.

Carbonox

We have too much quality to get relegated now. Though I'm sure we had a fine squad when we got relegated last time too. :(

Aye, we did a QPR. Buy lots of random but good/big players, they don't gel, we get relegated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Newcastle_United_F.C._season#Appearances.2C_goals_and_cards

Got rid of Milner, N'Zogbia, Given, etc. in that season as well.

Madness how we were shit.

We just have to make sure we don't do what Dalgish did to ruin the club and sell our best players in handfuls after one successful season.

Kyoufu

Aye, we did a QPR. Buy lots of random but good/big players, they don't gel, we get relegated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008%E2%80%9309_Newcastle_United_F.C._season#Appearances.2C_goals_and_cards

Got rid of Milner, N'Zogbia, Given, etc. in that season as well.

Madness how we were shit.

We just have to make sure we don't do what Dalgish did to ruin the club and sell our best players in handfuls after one successful season.

I'll be devastated if we sell Tiote. I can see the major clubs wanting to buy him in the summer. :( Same with Ba.

Carbonox

I'll be devastated if we sell Tiote. I can see the major clubs wanting to buy him in the summer. :( Same with Ba.

He'll most likely go to Chelsea, seeing as I heard/read that Essien isn't up to scratch anymore (Chelsea fans could probably clarify) and Tiote would be the ideal replacement.

Then I'd want Newcastle to go for Strootman if that were the case. :D

Ideally, I'd rather Tiote not go anywhere and there is a chance he won't, especially given our success. If despite all of this and he'd still want to go, then I'd have no choice but to question his integrity and probably be happy that we got shot of him.

pappe

Newcastle has termendous quality up front now, and their midfield is quite strong as well with Ben Arfa , Cabaye and Tiote. They need sure up the defence and buy proper Rb's and LB and CB they can potentially be challenging for UCL spot next term if they do so.

He'll most likely go to Chelsea, seeing as I heard/read that Essien isn't up to scratch anymore (Chelsea fans could probably clarify) and Tiote would be the ideal replacement.

Then I'd want Newcastle to go for Strootman if that were the case. :D

Ideally, I'd rather Tiote not go anywhere and there is a chance he won't, especially given our success. If despite all of this and he'd still want to go, then I'd have no choice but to question his integrity and probably be happy that we got shot of him.

But Newcastle dont really need to sell do they? They got a nice stadium name deal which would have definitely helped finances and they have good promising future which can make the players stay.

Kyoufu

Newcastle has termendous quality up front now, and their midfield is quite strong as well with Ben Arfa , Cabaye and Tiote. They need sure up the defence and buy proper Rb's and LB and CB they can potentially be challenging for UCL spot next term if they do so.

But Newcastle dont really need to sell do they? They got a nice stadium name deal which would have definitely helped finances and they have good promising future which can make the players stay.

It depends on the player. I don't think many clubs keep players who are unhappy/ask to leave. I for one wouldn't hold anything against Tiote for wanting to leave for a top 4 team as long as he doesn't say the things Enrique did.

Carbonox

We'd still sell if the offer was fantastic. However, financially, the club is in a brilliant position and pretty much on the verge of being self-sufficient. Not many clubs in the league can say that.

I'd still like us to not return to our old way of wasting a shit ton of money on players. Our transfer policy currently is great and it's working.

They didn't get a naming rights deal for St James Park. Not yet anyway.

altaz

Neo Member
Does anyone know of any places i could go to get tickets for the liverpool vs everton game? I thought since there might not be a lot of fans heading down, there might be some available.

Or if anyone knows someone that would be willing to sell a ticket, get in touch.

dc89

Do you see Mario staying ?

If Mancini stays which I think he will - yes.

If some freak of nature happens and Mancini goes Mario will want to leave too. He's quite openly said although he has adapted to life in Manchester he would never have come if it wasn't for Mancini being there.

Do I want Mario to go - no. He's the enigma and City fans may have to accept he will never be tamed but he's the kind of player that can win you games and I guess trophies, but he's the kind of player that can also lose you them.

It's so strange. He led the line against United at Wembley and did a brilliant job. He also kept his head at Old Trafford and scored two. He stepped up to take that penalty against Spurs. But then he does some stupid stuff like fight with team mates over a free kick.

Wilbur

Banned
Does anyone know of any places i could go to get tickets for the liverpool vs everton game? I thought since there might not be a lot of fans heading down, there might be some available.

Or if anyone knows someone that would be willing to sell a ticket, get in touch.

I don't really know if Elseanio already has a ticket and might not go or is just contemplating whether to get a ticket, but just in case he misses this you could PM him to clarify?

elseanio

Are you a Liverpool or Everton fan? There's a really slim chance that mine will be going, although it's getting offered to my dad/brother/friends first. Will pm you no later than Wednesday night to let you know

Other than that, there's a forum on RAWK that trades tickets, but again, I think it's a slim chance of grabbing on at face value

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's so strange. He led the line against United at Wembley and did a brilliant job. He also kept his head at Old Trafford and scored two. He stepped up to take that penalty against Spurs. But then he does some stupid stuff like fight with team mates over a free kick.

After he stamped on Parker's head and got away with it. Balotelli is a nutcase and with the right manager that can be a good thing, with a poor man-manager like Mancini, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Was it Mourinho who said he was unmanageable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom