• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT8| Made it to the Championship play-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed on MotD one of the Spurs players needlessly kicking a Swansea player. Couldn't make out who it was but I'll try and get a wee GIF later.

Bumhead

Banned
But you guys love your public crucifixions so I'll let you continue.

Arf.

He just comes across as an absolute dick, to be honest. Rude, arrogant, highly strung. His every contact with the press seems to make him look like even more of a tool. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with what he said tonight, but his outrageous defence of Carroll's dive (he didn't dive, he was already falling over apparently) was typical of his attitude.

Dalglish doesn't need a public crucifixion. He brings his own hammer and nails whenever he steps infront of a camera or microphone.

Arnie

Just noticed on MotD one of the Spurs players needlessly kicking a Swansea player. Couldn't make out who it was but I'll try and get a wee GIF later.

Think it was Dalglish.

Arf.

He just comes across as an absolute dick, to be honest. Rude, arrogant, highly strung. His every contact with the press seems to make him look like even more of a tool. There wasn't anything particularly wrong with what he said tonight, but his outrageous defence of Carroll's dive (he didn't dive, he was already falling over apparently) was typical of his attitude.

Dalglish doesn't need a public crucifixion. He brings his own hammer and nails whenever he steps infront of a camera or microphone.
Oh I agree entirely, but I don't see how being unable to handle media scrutiny turns you into a despicable human being.

As for the Carroll thing I actually thought that myself at the time. I don't expect you to have watched a ton of Liverpool this season, but Carroll's balance is appalling, he falls over under the slightest contact and generally looks close to toppling without anyone around him. I can't believe Carroll didn't appeal once he knew he was going, but I don't think his intention was to drop to the floor. He'd rather have scored.

It was Kyle Walker. He was swinging his foot in frustration as some players do when they mess up and he hit Taylor's foot by accident. Nice try though ;)

Arf.

So he is doing what Alex Ferguson does?

Wilbur

Banned
Arf.

This is exactly why I really dislike Liverpool at the moment. With Benitez and Hodgson in charge, regardless of their performances, I liked them. Me liking a manager goes a long way towards me liking the club; for instance, I want Wigan to stay up because of Martinez and Wolves to go down because they got rid of McCarthy.

I just detest Dalglish. He is and always will e a legend for everything he's done for the club, but he's just an increasingly angry and petulant man. I cannot stand him.

Wilbur

Banned
I think Ferguson, while sometimes acting a complete dickhead, has vindication for it because he's a winner. When Dalglish refuses to answer questions based primarily on results he's been at fault for, it makes him look like a child.

Salazar

That's the thing. Nobody, I mean nobody, is as ridiculous as Ferguson when it comes to opening his mouth in relation to football.

Sir Alex, he is not.

lol. This is high class delusion. C'mon. Ferguson doesn't even take shots that often. And he actually admits faults and fouls sometimes.

The saga of Wenger's blindness alone sets him above Ferg.

Wessiej

What a day, 6-0 victory and we took over the first place :)

The table is just,....man. So close, 6 matches to go.

3jjmn.jpg

I think Ferguson, while sometimes acting a complete dickhead, has vindication for it because he's a winner. When Dalglish refuses to answer questions based primarily on results he's been at fault for, it makes him look like a child.

Can't really argue with this point.

lol. This is high class delusion. C'mon. Ferguson doesn't even take shots that often. And he actually admits faults and fouls sometimes.

Bullshit and you even know it.

Wessiej

Holy shit haha! When was the last time Ajax won? Would be great to see them and Juve contesting in the CL again

Last year ;) But that was the first time in 7 years. We have been robbed in the CL this year, with Dinamo and the ''offside'' goals.

Arnie

And here was me thinking you were above the whole "Boo hoo nobody likes Liverpool" schtick.

To be fair, when I'm dealing with your overreaction, plus this bullshit on Facebook, it genuinely does feel like it.

TGONIl.jpg

Been another tough day, apologies if I appear swept up with emotion.

FuturusX

Ferguson has more than his fair share of "I didn't see it".

I get it. He's a winner, so he can say what he likes. That's the way it works right?

I don't blame him actually. It's the way he gets the job done.

You have to delude yourself into thinking that all around you are against you...the media, the FA, referees...blah blah blah. Can't argue with his methods. But he's the greatest windbag in football, no doubt.

Wilbur

Banned
Last year ;) But that was the first time in 7 years. We have been robbed in the CL this year, with Dinamo and the ''offside'' goals.

Only last year? Last time I watched the Dutch league PSV were winning everything aha. Yeah the CL was a travesty for you guys this year.

Bumhead

Banned
Not really.

Haha, what do you mean "not really"?

The difference between Ferguson and Dalglish at this point is that Ferguson is successful at what he's doing, and his attitude - be it to his players, the press, the fans or whoever - is clearly successful.

Dalglish is standing there like a petulant little boy getting the mump on with reporters having plundered big sums of cash and failing as Liverpool manager. Fair enough he's won some silverware and might yet win some more, but Liverpool are painfully short of their objectives in the league this season.

Fergie is awesome. He's so good at dealing with the media. I bloody love him :)

He's not even as bad as Liverpool fans would have you believe, but then saying that, and me this, is par for the course.

FuturusX

Fergie is awesome. He's so good at dealing with the media. I bloody love him :)

He's not even as bad as Liverpool fans would have you believe, but then saying that, and me this, is par for the course.

He's your dog...so you love him. But when he's barking and shitting over my grass...it's hard for me to love him too.

And let's be fair...he's shit himself after one too many...I mean he's shit over a lot of people's lawns.

But he's a winner, so what your gonna do.

Ferguson has more than his fair share of "I didn't see it".

I get it. He's a winner, so he can say what he likes. That's the way it works right?

I don't blame him actually. It's the way he gets the job done.

You have to delude yourself into thinking that all around you are against you...the media, the FA, referees...blah blah blah. Can't argue with his methods. But he's the greatest windbag in football, no doubt.
When was the last time you felt Fergie had a "moment".

I don't mean that in a facetious way btw, genuinely interested. For me the first thing that springs to mind is when we drew at home to Newcastle and he was just losing it. Of course I see it differently as a United fan.

Gary Neville alluded to it in an article today and he said that what Fergie does very well is plan what he wants to say and the kind of headlines he wants. He says things which are pretty silly at times, but because it's a means to an end. Other managers, and I think Daglish is guilty of this, get very very wound up and say silly things which don't actually help his cause.

Bumhead

Banned
To be fair, when I'm dealing with your overreaction, plus this bullshit on Facebook, it genuinely does feel like it.

Been another tough day, apologies if I appear swept up with emotion.

To be fair mate, this is one of those things that I always find amusing when talking about a lack of success with fans of Premier League clubs. When Chelsea fans start talking about how much of a disgrace their team is, how they're not watching them anymore and how much they hate the players right now, because they're fifth in the league. When Liverpool fans turn on the manager and say it's been a crap season because you've only dared to win some silverware..

I know these things are all relative, so I'll try not to go too far down this conversation route, but seriously. If you want to talk about having to listen to "overreaction's", "bullshit", "tough days" and "swept with emotion", look at what club I support and then ask yourself if you're talking to the right guy or not. I don't want to sound like an arse, but I'm not going to dish out any sympathy to Liverpool's situation.

Kenny Dalglish is a man who handles himself poorly in the public limelight, is quite unlikeable to the neutral and who manages a huge club who many people like to see not get their own way. A club that is permanently in the spotlight. My advice, from somebody who has seen enough "tough", "swept with emotion" days to last a fucking lifetime is to either take it on the chin and deal with it or log off for the night and go grab a beer. There's absolutely no point getting your knickers in a twist because some guy on the internet you don't even know is posting comments you don't like about your manager. Thousands of others will be laughing harder and saying worse in forums, newspapers, radio phone ins, pubs and workplaces up and down the country.

Fry

This is exactly why I really dislike Liverpool at the moment. With Benitez and Hodgson in charge, regardless of their performances, I liked them. Me liking a manager goes a long way towards me liking the club; for instance, I want Wigan to stay up because of Martinez and Wolves to go down because they got rid of McCarthy.

I just detest Dalglish. He is and always will e a legend for everything he's done for the club, but he's just an increasingly angry and petulant man. I cannot stand him.

Is it a bad thing that I can't stand him either? :S

I hate the impact he makes in the LFC community also. That's one of the reasons I want him gone. What's funny is that many fans excuse all the crap he's done this season because of reputation and whatnot, but Carragher doesn't get a free pass for every bad performance.

dc89

Not but 2-ish days ago there was a multi-page discussion on this exact topic. If you can't find it I'll give you the rundown:

- most Liverpool fans are very obviously unhappy

- Kenny may or may not be to blame, but we'd like to give someone else a shot

- consensus seems to be that Rafa Benitez is the best choice, but will still be unlikely

- there is no point in changing managers now. We're in Europe because of the league cup, and there's no chance of a CL spot. Nothing to play for except the FA cup and Kenny hasn't shown weakness in the cups

Thanks for that! 10 hour shifts ruin my ability to follow the thread. :(

FuturusX

When was the last time you felt Fergie had a "moment".

I don't mean that in a facetious way btw, genuinely interested. For me the first thing that springs to mind is when we drew at home to Newcastle and he was just losing it. Of course I see it differently as a United fan.

Gary Neville alluded to it in an article today and he said that what Fergie does very well is plan what he wants to say and the kind of headlines he wants. He says things which are pretty silly at times, but because it's a means to an end. Other managers, and I think Daglish is guilty of this, get very very wound up and say silly things which don't actually help his cause.

I don't subscribe to the "He's the King of mind games" theme.

For me it's plain and simple.

He gets results...bullies people where ever possible and speaks his mind when he wants to. He's a prolific winner, so people will draw more from that. They will attempt discern that there is some secret extra magic to it all.

There's no more magic than the fact that he's great manager. He knows how to build and re-build good teams.

He's got an eye for talent, great at man management and he rules the dressing room with an iron fist.

His teams fight for him, and he knows how to turn a siege mentality off the field into a siege on the field, putting fear into to teams.

At best his off the field antics are just a means to remove pressure from his teams... to allow players to move beyond crisis moments. At other times he'll use the media to get a player to respond. Beyond that he's just spouting how he feels in the moment, thinking about the next game.

I take it back, he's great at mind games with his own players. He get's the best out of them and is not afraid to play those games to get what he needs.

I won't address his most famous moments. I'll let the FA fines speak for themselves. We know what they are.

I'll just say that, generally, he will say outrageous things about referees without even blinking an eye. He openly berate other teams and managers (quite funny when he does) and invent wild theories regarding the FA and favoritism. He really is in a league of his own.

I'm hard pressed to think of a worse offender.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't subscribe to the "He's the King of mind games" theme.

For me it's plain and simple.

He gets results...bullies people where ever possible and speaks his mind when he wants to. He's a prolific winner, so people will draw more from that. They will attempt discern that there is some secret extra magic to it all.

There's no more magic than the fact that he's great manager. He knows how to build and re-build good teams.

He's got an eye for talent, great at man management and he rules the dressing room with an iron fist.

His teams fight for him, and he knows how to turn a siege mentality off the field into a siege on the field, putting fear into to teams.

At best his off the field antics are just a means to remove pressure from his teams... to allow players to move beyond crisis moments. At other times he'll use the media to get a player to respond. Beyond that he's just spouting how he feels in the moment, thinking about the next game.

I take it back, he's great at mind games with his own players. He get's the best out of them and is not afraid to play those games to get what he needs.

I won't address his most famous moments. I'll let the FA fines speak for themselves. We know what they are.

I'll just say that, generally, he will say outrageous things about referees without even blinking an eye. He openly berate other teams and managers (quite funny when he does) and invent wild theories regarding the FA and favoritism. He really is in a league of his own.

I'm hard pressed to think of a worse offender.

He has lovely eyes though

Dammit not a good weekend of sports for me.

Napoli lost
Liverpool lost
Miami Heat lost
Dolphins are still in shambles with a crappy owner or shall I say owners

Only good highlights were Barcelona winning, Hyypia getting a crack at management and Wigan tearing Rugby Stoke City a new one. I like Martinez, hopefully he keeps the team up.

He has lovely eyes though

I find his eyes creepy >_>

Wilbur

Banned
Martinez is great; I dunno why but a manager really does make a huge impact into whether I like a team or not. Bielsa and Enrique were key factors in me following Bilbao and Roma, I like Mancini, I'm not a huge fan of Chelsea atm after what happened with AVB and I desperately want Swindon to be in the Premier League as soon as possible.

Edit: Jeff it's going to be a draw.

sneaky77

Why is everyone getting on Dalglish for defending Carroll? What did you expect, a coach is not going to publicly crucify his player in public, even if he slap him on the dressing room

Martinez is great; I dunno why but a manager really does make a huge impact into whether I like a team or not. Bielsa and Enrique were key factors in me following Bilbao and Roma, I like Mancini, I'm not a huge fan of Chelsea atm after what happened with AVB and I desperately want Swindon to be in the Premier League as soon as possible.

Edit: Jeff it's going to be a draw.

I really do like Martinez a lot, he has a lot of class. I would really love to see what he can do with a team of good to great players.

FuturusX

Why is everyone getting on Dalglish for defending Carroll? What did you expect, a coach is not going to publicly crucify his player in public, even if he slap him on the dressing room

Because everybody hates a loser and he's losing a lot lately.

Losers smell. Their stink infects everything, permeates the sinews of success. A loser has to be quiet. Hide in the dank corners of failure until he can find the scent of success. Then he can speak loudly and say what ever the hell he wants. Until then...not a word can he utter.

In other words: He needs to win more and lose less...then he can say what ever he wants.

Oh and he spent $35 millions pounds on a duff striker, another 20 on a winger who can't score and defended Suarez beyond the realms of decency...

I love Kenny by the way...Liverpool legend.

ameratsu

I'm wondering if anyone here could recommend me a book that takes a critical look at the state of modern football. I am specifically interested in the relationship between sponsors and clubs with some history on the sport and how it's evolved. A quick look on amazon.co.uk didn't really yield anything.

Thanks

Wilbur

Banned
I'm wondering if anyone here could recommend me a book that takes a critical look at the state of modern football. I am specifically interested in the relationship between sponsors and clubs with some history on the sport and how its evolved. A quick look on amazon.co.uk didn't really yield anything.

Thanks

I've got no idea but I want to read this book.

Finished the Graham Hunter Barca book by the way, fantastic stuff and I recommend.

Messi

Everything is turning up millhouse for me. Seems hunger games will be out on dvd/blu the day I leave USA and safe house will be out before I leave (I know this movie will be shit, but let me believe Denzel is still awesome). I don't go to the cinema anymore as my local cinemas are total dogshit so I have to wait until stuff comes out on blu. On top of that I have a region A blu ray player (by choice btw) and I get blu's dirt cheap vs ireland when I am in america. I still havent seen The Muppets :/

Really enjoying the Champions League mode in PES 12 and the copa libertadores. Can someone tell me why Flamengo are not in PES 12?

I've got no idea but I want to read this book.

Finished the Graham Hunter Barca book by the way, fantastic stuff and I recommend.

SQUEE!! My copy will be arriving from Amazon tomorrow, after looking for it everywhere locally. I cannot wait. I love Graham Hunter and my facination with barca is well noted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom