• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/12 |OT9| Dedicated to Morosini & others who didn't make it. RIP.

Kyoufu

They somehow managed to score 3 goals while doing that too.

Chelsea scored 3 because Barca sent everyone forward to combat the bus. So they were left open to counter attacks which Chelsea were reluctant to even do at times.

Barca didn't have much choice I don't think. I'm not a coach so I have no idea how to counter the catenaccio strategy.

LegoArmo

Chelsea scored 3 because Barca sent everyone forward to combat the bus. So they were left open to counter attacks which Chelsea were reluctant to even do at times.

Barca didn't have much choice I don't think. I'm not a coach so I have no idea how to counter the catenaccio strategy.

It's kind of ironic, because having 9+ players all trying to play through the middle in Chelsea's box is one of the reasons they didn't score.

Get's crowded.

Kyoufu

It's kind of ironic, because having 9+ players all trying to play through the middle in Chelsea's box is one of the reasons they didn't score.

Would Chelsea move the bus if Barca didn't push so forward? Wouldn't they just sit there waiting for the ball to arrive?

feel

Wtf is madrid doing, why is everyone walking around like they don't care? One Bayern goal and they're 2 goals down.. sigh

LegoArmo

Would Chelsea move the bus if Barca didn't push so forward? Wouldn't they just sit there waiting for the ball to arrive?

They wouldn't move the bus, but there's other areas of the pitch you can play the ball, stretch the defence a little.

Barca would even have been better off just passing the ball to Chelsea players.

Kyoufu

They wouldn't move the bus, but there's other areas of the pitch you can play the ball, stretch the defence a little.

Barca would even have been better off just passing the ball to Chelsea players.

I dunno man. Chelsea played hoofball with one striker countering. Barca even went wide and couldn't get anything.

What a shit football strategy yet so effective.

Clegg

We are well versed in your liking of things of poor quality

Meus, you've been slightly hysterical since Barca lost. The pure fact is that they weren't good enough to win. Chelsea played them perfectly.

Barcas high quality football did absolutely nothing for them yesterday. They passed it around Chelseas 18 yard box without ever shooting. They were in short, shite yesterday.

Bayern/Madrid is being played to a better standard than yesterdays game.

Blackhead

Redarse
It's find it slightly amusing that if these teams were using this tactic—with two defensive midfielders and one striker—only a decade or two ago, they would have been labeled defensive.

xintin

with 10 men no, but before the red we were playing a different game because RDM knew we needed the goal.

when we did get the goal, Barca should have tried to cross into the box more often instead of only trying to slice thru. Our defenders had the height advantage but Puyol is a fantastic header and our tired legs couldve brought chaos onto us.

Meus, you've been slightly hysterical since Barca lost. The pure fact is that they weren't good enough to win. Chelsea played them perfectly.

Barcas high quality football did absolutely nothing for them yesterday. They passed it around Chelseas 18 yard box without ever shooting. They were in short, a bit like Arsenal yesterday.

Bayern/Madrid is being played to a better standard than yesterdays game.

Fixed for ease of comprehension.

Lightning

Banned
What Chelsea basically said was that in order to counter Barca they need to stop playing football and play hoofball instead and hope for the best which is all they did.

And even then they failed. It was only Barca's sloppy finishing that prevented them from going through. Not Chelsea's negative hoofball tactics. Credit to Chelsea for winning as I have said many times but as for the rest .......

Sealda

Banned
Im amazed at Bayerns attacks...First time seeing them this Champions League...just, insane....

WOuld have been glorious, had Bayern been able to meet Barca at the final and then win over them with their offensive football.

Wilbur

Banned
What Chelsea basically said was that in order to counter Barca they need to stop playing football and play hoofball instead and hope for the best which is all they did.

And even then they failed. It was only Barca's sloppy finishing that prevented them from going through. Not Chelsea's negative hoofball tactics. Credit to Chelsea for winning as I have said many times but as for the rest .......

But without Chelsea's defending there would have been a lot more chances and more Barca goals. I don't understand how we're both supporters of teams who have been shafted by Barca by trying to play them at their own game, but it's only me who can see what an achievement Chelsea pulled off yesterday.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Not all chances are created equally. One could argue that Chelsea's mental pressure and intensity at defence took a toll on Barça's finishing. It was particularly obvious in Messi's penalty miss.

The problem for Madrid now is that their extra men in midfield are basically passengers, Ronaldo, Ozil and Di Maria.

Kroos in particular is allowing Bayern to dictate the game now, and even Ribery is helping out in there.

Top Bottom