• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
lol stonewall pen not given

Beastly block from Sandro a minute ago.

I'm looking at China's national football team right now on wikipedia and one thing strikes me as odd: all players in the current selection play in the Chinese league. Why aren't there any Chinese footballers playing in other leagues? Not even lower-tier leagues.

I'm looking at China's national football team right now on wikipedia and one thing strikes me as odd: all players in the current selection play in the Chinese league. Why aren't there any Chinese footballers playing in other leagues? Not even lower-tier leagues.

In Brazil, Corinthians has one but he is always injured lol.

elsk

Banned
I thought there was a decent amount of interest in Hoilett in the Premier League. Gladbach must have offered him a great deal.

Lovely goal above.

Yes, the best offer: Champions League. They don't have big money or anything if you're referring to that :p

elsk

Banned

They have an awesome logo, tho.

China_PR_national_football_team.png

In Brazil, Corinthians has one but he is always injured lol.
Oh well, did not know because he's not in the national football team. Among the recent call-ups there's one that plays in Korea and one in a first division Portuguese team. Just wondering why this is because they're plenty of Japanese running around in Europe.

elseanio

Could say the same for England and Italy

elsk

Banned
Oh well, did not know because he's not in the national football team. Among the recent call-ups there's one that plays in Korea and one in a first division Portuguese team. Just wondering why this is because they're plenty of Japanese running around in Europe.

I'm guessing China doesn't really gave a shit about football until very recently, also Japan and Korea had a huge "boom" of football thanks to the WC. Now they're getting the results of investing in football.

Chinese Football is way behind nearly every other sport in China in terms of development, regulation and overall skill. Chinese players simply aren't that good, are known for being unprofessional and unable to really cope with pressure well. The domestic league and setup has been rocked by corruption scandals and bribing of referees several times in the past decade. It is improving but the standard is very low. Basketball is China's big obsession. The professional clubs are becoming flush with money from domestic billionaires who've kissed the right arses in the Party over the years, but they're not run professionally and drunkeness and bad behaviour among the players (flush with their new found wealth and who've come from REALLY poor backgrounds usually) is common.

The Chinese, indeed most of the AFC countries clubs, cannot hope to compete with the Japanese, Aussies and Koreans professionally. They often bribe referees or intimidate the away team in the AFC Champions League (this really happens, especially against the Japanese for historical reasons), or use the tiredness from stupid long haul flights that the aforementioned countries clubs have to take to pick up the big wins you see from time to time in the Champions League. It's a joke really, hence the Japanese clubs really don't care that much about the ACL, the Koreans care a little more, but still not that much.

tl;dr Chinese are largely poor players right now, unprofessional and their best athletes are picked up by Basketball teams or Olympic sports instead.

They have an awesome logo, tho.

China_PR_national_football_team.png
Yep, I'm digging their jerseys as well. Standard adidas jersey but red and yellow are a nice combination.

Could say the same for England and Italy
Sure but those leagues are actually good. Don't see a reason to leave when you can make it in your home country.

I'm guessing China doesn't really gave a shit about football until very recently, also Japan and Korea had a huge "boom" of football thanks to the WC. Now they're getting the results of investing in football.
That could actually be a pretty good explanation. Though one might think someone would invest in only the the country with the highest population in the world. Lots of talent out there probably.

Chinese Football is way behind nearly every other sport in China in terms of development, regulation and overall skill. Chinese players simply aren't that good, are known for being unprofessional and unable to really cope with pressure well. The domestic league and setup has been rocked by corruption scandals and bribing of referees several times in the past decade. It is improving but the standard is very low. Basketball is China's big obsession. The professional clubs are becoming flush with money from domestic billionaires who've kissed the right arses in the Party over the years, but they're not run professionally and drunkeness and bad behaviour among the players (flush with their new found wealth and who've come from REALLY poor backgrounds usually) is common.

The Chinese, indeed most of the AFC countries clubs, cannot hope to compete with the Japanese, Aussies and Koreans professionally. They often bribe referees or intimidate the away team in the AFC Champions League (this really happens, especially against the Japanese for historical reasons), or use the tiredness from stupid long haul flights that the aforementioned countries clubs have to take to pick up the big wins you see from time to time in the Champions League. It's a joke really, hence the Japanese clubs really don't care that much about the ACL, the Koreans care a little more, but still not that much.

tl;dr Chinese are largely poor players right now, unprofessional and their best athletes are picked up by Basketball teams or Olympic sports instead.
Thanks for clearing that up. Could've guessed that corruption is present in China, that really is one of the worst things in football. Multimillionaires being able to buy clubs in some lower developed country and just pump millions of dollars in it and buy former word-class players and give them an insane paycheck.

Ezalc

Dude It look like Neymar spit. Both players deserved the red.

Regardless really happy for the performance tonight from the Mexico. Not expecting, its been a really good week for us.

Not saying he didn't deserve the red he totally did, I'm mad both only got yellow. That ref needs to grow a pair.

elsk

Banned
Thanks for clearing that up. Could've guessed that corruption is present in China, that really is one of the worst things in football. Multimillionaires being able to buy clubs in some lower developed country and just pump millions of dollars in it and buy former word-class players and give them an insane paycheck.

Oh for a moment I thought you were talking about the PL.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
don't know why del bosque insists on playing xabi alonso and busquets, seems like the most redundant thing ever.

After the USA game I did say if Brazil played against a good defense they were fucked.

There is the result, pathetic display. Mano Menezes is a joke.

Arnie

FM2012 going cheap anywhere? Saw a deal in this thread a few days ago where it was £4.99.

Bought it for a fiver the other day. Someone here posted the link. Just started a career with Blackpool.

Plan to be at Liverpool in 2 seasons.

fuenf

According to the Kicker preview Bayern is still pursuing Dzeko and Schalke's top priority is Kalou. Dortmund's Michael Zorc is interviewed too, so there could be some Kagawa news tomorrow.

edit: damnit elsk :D knew i shouldnt have added that Dortmund stuff :D

Götze posted this family picture on facebook:
gCEiQ.jpg

See that guy in the middle? Yeah, you might take Mario away in a few years but we'll still have Götze power :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom