• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulLFC

We're paying Joe Cole £18.7 million over the length of his contract.

I know it we knew he was on 90k a week already, but seeing it written down makes it seem somehow even worse.

Mexico versus Brazil in twenty minutes. VAMOS MÉXICO

...we are so fucked.

brapauy8.gif

LegoArmo

What? It's completely different circumstances. Missing the vast majority of England games because of injury is obviously far more concerning to the manager of an injury plagued squad that a player who's at the beginning of his career and simply hasn't been called up yet.

No it's not, Rio is fit now, that's all that matters, really. Hodgson can pick who he wants, but he doesn't have to bullshit us about it being for footballing reasons. Ferdinand is the best centre back in the country, and he's not been picked.

England's loss.

Sappy113

I don't know which was worst: our performance yesterday against Australia (lol) or Prometheus. All I know is that I wanted to gouge my eyes out at the end of the evening.

I honestly think it was some pretty funny shit when Bendter tried to explain away that huge chance he squandered by saying he was a bit pissed at how he was being used. Great way of channeling that anger!

Mastadon

Banned
We're paying Joe Cole £18.7 million over the length of his contract.

I know it we knew he was on 90k a week already, but seeing it written down makes it seem somehow even worse.

Money well spent when BROD fulfills Cole's potential and he becomes the English Messi.

Watching the RM-ManUtd legends charity match that's going on at the Bernabeau. The closeups of the players are an advertisement for why arm tattoos are a bad idea. So many tribal sleeves looking all wrinkly and wizened, lol.

Also, Van der Saar is still a world class keeper!

elseanio

Why does everyone think Kelly is a CB? He hasn't played that position since his academy days. He won't play CB for England or Liverpool

Why does everyone think Kelly is a CB? He hasn't played that position since his academy days. He won't play CB for England or Liverpool

He won't stay at RB for Liverpool. He's too slow and not good enough at attacking to play in the system we're going to play much longer. He has to move to CB for Liverpool soon at least.

bjaelke

But Carragher...
I honestly think it was some pretty funny shit when Bendter tried to explain away that huge chance he squandered by saying he was a bit pissed at how he was being used. Great way of channeling that anger!

I'm still baffled by that chance. We have to find a replacement. He's had one decent match throughout the qualifiers. Agger created more going forward than Bendtner did despite only playing 60 minutes.

Mastadon

Banned

I'm not sure about that. He looks very comfortable at CB, and going forward is probably the weakest part of his game. I have a strong suspicion he'll move to CB in the future.

Nice to have a versatile player like him though.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'm not sure about that. He looks very comfortable, and going forward is probably the weakest part of his game. I have a strong suspicion he'll move to CB in the future.

Nice to have a versatile player like him though.

To really be able to play across the back 4 you have to be able to be a capable attacking player when needs must, you need pace and a good cross. Players like Vermaelen, Richards, Kaboul, etc can whip a ball in and get back into position quickly. Kelly really isn't good at that. He has all the attributes to be a great CB but he will never be a good fit at full back just like Skrtel, Woodgate or many other CBs who've had to play there.

elseanio

Ha ok, guess I see a different player to everyone else. I think there have been plenty of opportunities for him to be promoted to CB with Liverpool too, but he's never been risked in that position. Fair enough he's a young lad, but we've brought in someone younger than him to fill a roll that seemingly should be Kelly's in the future.

I never realised he was CB for England u21s. Will try find some highlights of him playing there.

Yen

His pace and strength are fantastic, not sure why people think he's slow. His problem is his crossing and decision making when going forward. He could easily become a top class RB, but I'd rather have him at CB in the long run.

Agreed. I think Steve Clarke said a while ago that they hadn't any plans to play him in the centre. Of course, that could all change.

Mastadon

Banned
To really be able to play across the back 4 you have to be able to be a capable attacking player when needs must, you need pace and a good cross. Players like Vermaelen, Richards, Kaboul, etc can whip a ball in and get back into position quickly. Kelly really isn't good at that. He has all the attributes to be a great CB but he will never be a good fit at full back just like Skrtel, Woodgate or many other CBs who've had to play there.

The positioning and crossing is something you can develop though. As you can see from the video Yenrot posted, he does have pace and can beat a man. The attributes are there, but it would take a lot of work to get him to the level of the players you listed.

Feorax

I think Kelly would be more suited to being a CB under Rodgers than a right back. I also think if we were going to make him a CB, we could do with doing so now and start him forming a partnership with Coates.

Mastadon

Banned
Ha ok, guess I see a different player to everyone else. I think there have been plenty of opportunities for him to be promoted to CB with Liverpool too, but he's never been risked in that position. Fair enough he's a young lad, but we've brought in someone younger than him to fill a roll that seemingly should be Kelly's in the future.

I never realised he was CB for England u21s. Will try find some highlights of him playing there.

I think he hasn't played CB much for us purely because we're so limited for RB options. I've always thought that Coates was signed to partner Kelly, as their skill sets compliment each other very well. Plus don't forget that when we signed Coates, Agger was still having injury problems, and Skrtel had only just started developing into a quality CB.

Edit: Fair warning, my fanboyism for Kelly eclipses that of Salazar's for T-Clevz. I apologise in advance.

Mastadon

Banned
I think Kelly would be more suited to being a CB under Rodgers than a right back. I also think if we were going to make him a CB, we could do with doing so now and start him forming a partnership with Coates.

Yup. I'm hopeful that being in the Europa League means Coates, Kelly and Jack Robinson (who I rate even higher than Kelly!) will get plenty of game time.

I've just been reminded that big brother is back on tv this week because one of the wife's clients is on

She's one of the wildcards apparently a lass called Rebecca

Yen

What does your wife do for a living, Jeff? Going by "client" and the fact it's big brother, I assume she is a pimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom