• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

You can't say goodbye to someone who never arrived.

It's your own fault for getting yourself into a state where you believed being friends with a player was more important than agreeing a fee.

I don't know what you're talking about but the fee has nothing to do with the player. Ashley is just tight when it comes to buying players. :(

No thanks. We don't buy anyone from the premier league. IT'S OUR NEW POLICY.

Alan Hutton is in talks with Stoke on a £3m move apparently. Farewell to him too. I don't think Warnock has long left either.

We're going to have a completely new back line next season.

For clubs like us, that is the best policy to have.

Lads, I figure I'd ask here before bumping a thread as I know some of you (Arnie?) use DNS rerouting to get access to US netflix. Playmo.tv is charging now. I'd rather not pay an additional cost if I don't have to. I've also used a trial at unblock-us which, as far as services go if I have to pay for one, I'd choose them since I can switch back and forth between content. But as I'm strapped for cash I'd rather see if there is a cheap (i.e. free) solution. Any clue?

rodvik

LET'S DO THIS - VILLA POWER HALF HOUR

Collins to West Ham makes sense. All he does is hoof the ball but fair play, he can get in the way of a shot. Vlaar, a more ball playing defender, will be a better suit for Lambert (and cheaper!)

Clark is going to start alongisde Vlaar. I think Clark is going to have a huge season.

I've been hearing a lot of Bannan playing alongside El Ahmadi. Would be very interesting to see for sure...

We still need a left back, winger and striker by my reckoning.

In! Our starting midfield of KEA, Bannan, Ireland, Holman looks very strong. Agree about Clark, this should be his season.

I think we need a left back , striker and another central high skill mid. Not sure we need any wingers with our new style to be honest.

rodvik

We'll sell Obertan and Xisco to Villa.

Give us money.

No thanks. We don't buy anyone from the premier league. IT'S OUR NEW POLICY.

Alan Hutton is in talks with Stoke on a £3m move apparently. Farewell to him too. I don't think Warnock has long left either.

We're going to have a completely new back line next season.

Correct. We now only buy overseas players or ones from lower league who are hungry.

I am ok with this.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Here's tonight's team - Gomes; Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto; Huddlestone, Livermore; Bentley, Sigurdsson, Lennon; Bale.

Huddlestone starting YEESSSSSSSS

No striker today, I guess Gylfi will nominally play up front.

A wild Gomes appeared!

hutton + stoke

a match made in heaven

Fry

Happy birthday to Schweinsteiger!!!!!!!!!!!

iZ8g15S26DKAd.JPG

Clegg

I think we will sign him.

What makes you think that?

We've heard nothing new in a while about the transfer except for Sao Paolo maybe offering Lucas a new contract. And then the contract clause kicks in soon, so they will want more for him. And we don't seem willing to pay that much for a teenager.

Wessiej

Today my new Ajax away shirt got in <3

Didn't have it right now, its still at the post office grrr, can't wait to get it, just in time for the first season match.

rodvik

What formations have we been playing would you say? I have seen varying reports from the US friendlies.

its a 4-2-2-2

with the backs providing the width and the two pairs of two mids rotating fluidly with 3 staying close together to make a triangle with the 4th breaking away for a through ball option/

It started fairly orthodox and has become more and more extreme as each game goes by. At times during Chicago & Portland our "fullbacks" were forward wide players for much of the game.

When we dont have the ball we press extremely aggressively. If we win the ball back this works great, if we dont we can get caught very badly.

What makes you think that?

We've heard nothing new in a while about the transfer except for Sao Paolo maybe offering Lucas a new contract. And then the contract clause kicks in soon, so they will want more for him. And we don't seem willing to pay that much for a teenager.
Just got a feeling. I don't think the clause will make too much of a difference too, reckon Moura will happily waive that. He's said he is going to consider his future after the Olympics so I think it's still very much on.

Arnie

I don't know what you're talking about but the fee has nothing to do with the player. Ashley is just tight when it comes to buying players. :(

I mean you shouldn't feel so bad because your club wasn't ever going to match Lille's price for Debuchy. You're sad now, and using ludicrous terms like 'goodbye', as if Debuchy's been kipping at Cabaye's for the last few weeks, but in reality it's just one transfer target that's slipped by, a bit like Carroll because it looks like Newcastle won't up their bid for him (wise move, in my opinion).

Zabojnik

Lads, I figure I'd ask here before bumping a thread as I know some of you (Arnie?) use DNS rerouting to get access to US netflix. Playmo.tv is charging now. I'd rather not pay an additional cost if I don't have to. I've also used a trial at unblock-us which, as far as services go if I have to pay for one, I'd choose them since I can switch back and forth between content. But as I'm strapped for cash I'd rather see if there is a cheap (i.e. free) solution. Any clue?

That a bannable offense, fade! You'll get 16 months or possibly 3, if you take the plea bargain. You'll be back just in time for Juventus - Inter in november.
Sigh. Also, sorry, I can't help you. :p

Arnie

Speaking of transfers, watching Rodgers' transfer update on the official website, it looks like we're going to use the entire window to make our moves. He's reiterated his desire to get all his targets before the 18th, but admitted it may take longer.

Kyoufu

I mean you shouldn't feel so bad because your club wasn't ever going to match Lille's price for Debuchy. You're sad now, and using ludicrous terms like 'goodbye', as if Debuchy's been kipping at Cabaye's for the last few weeks, but in reality it's just one transfer target that's slipped by, a bit like Carroll because it looks like Newcastle won't up their bid for him (wise move, in my opinion).

It really is "goodbye" when a player of his class is only going for 8m Euros.

Yen

Speaking of transfers, watching Rodgers' transfer update on the official website, it looks like we're going to use the entire window to make our moves. He's reiterated his desire to get all his targets before the 18th, but admitted it may take longer.

I'm scared. We need another CM (Allen) and at least one more attacking player. Do we have the money, without having too sell too many more?

Arnie

I'm scared. We need another CM (Allen) and at least one more attacking player. Do we have the money, without having too sell too many more?

I think we'll get Allen. I also think we need a few attacking players, although I don't think we'll sell Carroll; the chances of him accepting a move to West Ham are slim, and I doubt Newcastle will raise their offer above £13 million.

Did you listen to The Anfield Wrap? Some ominous discussion regarding how much money we have.

Yen

I think we'll get Allen. I also think we need a few attacking players, although I don't think we'll sell Carroll; the chances of him accepting a move to West Ham are slim, and I doubt Newcastle will raise their offer above £13 million.

Did you listen to The Anfield Wrap? Some ominous discussion regarding how much money we have.

No, what were they saying?

Was just going to ask this.

What is LFC's budget? I thought FSG were going to put a bit of money into the club, not like City, but something substantial.

I was reading some speculation this morning that Liverpool are unwilling to pay more than £6 mill. for Dempsey. Could mean one of two things I suppose.

Arnie

No, what were they saying?

Was just going to ask this.

What is LFC's budget? I thought FSG were going to put a bit of money into the club, not like City, but something substantial.

Well, it's all obviously speculation, but it's looking like this summer we're consolidating the wage bill first of all, trimming the fat and reinvesting in getting our best players to sign new contracts. Aquilani going is a big start, as are replacing experienced players like Kuyt and Maxi with young talent like Borini, who's only on £30 thousand a week.

In fairness to FSG they pumped in quite a bit of money last summer, an amount we can't expect each and every transfer window, and it's not their fault (well, mostly) that we spent it so poorly.

Most of the uncertainty arises in our lack of activity so far. Some believe we're only spending what we can make, and others think there's a big signing around the corner. In all actuality nobody really has a clue, it's clear that we're being more pragmatic than last summer, and I don't blame FSG, but I think we still need to make a proper marquee signing.

I was reading some speculation this morning that Liverpool are unwilling to pay more than £6 mill. for Dempsey. Could mean one of two things I suppose.
We've got the money, we just don't want to pay over the odds, especially after last summer.

We can't really win I suppose, if we spend over the odds then we're laughed at, and if we try to hold out for good market value then clubs won't sell. Luckily with the Dempsey deal in particular it seems that he is pushing for the move, which would make a swift conclusion easier. Let's hope Allen does the same, although I imagine Spurs will intervene.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Carroll saga is hilarious. Made up or not, tomorrow's headline will read: "West Ham offer Carroll 100k a week".

I still don't understand why West Ham want him. If Big Sam wants a battering ram there are much cheaper alternatives with little downgrade in ability.

Arnie

The Times saying Bellamy is close to a move to Cardiff.
As much as I like Bellamy, and he was magnificent for us last season, part of me wants to see him go so there's yet more evidence that we need to invest in our attack. We need to drop big money on a marquee striker, in my opinion.
I still don't understand why West Ham want him. If Big Sam wants a battering ram there are much cheaper alternatives with little downgrade in ability.
Carroll won the most aerial duels in the league last season, playing for us. In Sam's system he'd be an absolute beast, make no mistake. I know Carroll's one big figure of hilarity to most, but you shouldn't underestimate his aerial ability, which is massive.

Re:- The article I posted earlier.

I think I may have made a mistake. I suggested the IPO was already fully underwritten by the banks. I'm now unsure whether that is true. I think the position is it is only officially underwritten (as in the guarantee is signed that the banks will buy the shares) until just before it floats. For now the banks will be trying to fill up an order book so that they can confidently underwrite the IPO. No idea what the discounted price is going to be....but hopefully not even at a lower price will the banks be confident enough to underwrite this...then the IPO will fully fail and the Glazer's will be proper screwed.

Most likely they do underwrite it though...still, I'm hopeful.

jtb

Banned
As much as I like Bellamy, and he was magnificent for us last season, part of me wants to see him go so there's yet more evidence that we need to invest in our attack. We need to drop big money on a marquee striker, in my opinion.

But who would join?

Arnie

Re:- The article I posted earlier.

I think I may have made a mistake. I suggested the IPO was already fully underwritten by the banks. I'm now unsure whether that is true. I think the position is it is only officially underwritten (as in the guarantee is signed that the banks will buy the shares) until just before it floats. For now the banks will be trying to fill up an order book so that they can confidently underwrite the IPO. No idea what the discounted price is going to be....but hopefully not even at a lower price will the banks be confident enough to underwrite this...then the IPO will fully fail and the Glazer's will be proper screwed.

Most likely they do underwrite it though...still, I'm hopeful.

That was the point that surprised me the most when reading it. I had no idea the banks had underwritten it, which would mean in a sense it couldn't fail, in reason. Would still be hugely humiliating for the Glazers, but the underwritten price would still be more than they need to fund the stake which they need, and so they wouldn't be as affected as United.

If it is underwritten, who owns the shares?

But who would join?
Fuck knows.

The club knew it hadn't replace Torres last summer, and after last season, that feeling must be even more apparent now. We need to offer big money to a big player, and hope for the best.

The new Nike advert is boss. Makes me want to buy a pair of Nike astros and start kicking a ball against a wall until my heels bleed.

Arnie

Bale playing up front?
NUMBER 9

I still can't determine where I stand on Carroll. On the one hand, when I'm pragmatic, I see a striker who doesn't fit our style of play, and on the other I see a hard working, improving, brute of an English centre forward who's capable of just making shit happen.

That was the point that surprised me the most when reading it. I had no idea the banks had underwritten it, which would mean in a sense it couldn't fail, in reason. Would still be hugely humiliating for the Glazers, but the underwritten price would still be more than they need to fund the stake which they need, and so they wouldn't be as affected as United.

If it is underwritten, who owns the shares?
The bank will buy up the shares at the discounted price (usually it's like 10% less than the initial price).

What the bank does is sign either one of two agreements with the company (MUFC):
1) A "firm commitment" which means it is confident that it can buy up and then resell the shares or
2) A "best effort commitment" which means it can't guarantee it will sell the shares but it will try it's best.

The bank decides which way to go about it by using what they call an "order book" which is basically a list of investors it uses to buy up unwanted stock and it often includes other banks. Jeffries, the main (and second rate) bank which is leading this will be doing that now. If they can are confident enough they can buy up the stock and then sell it back at a higher price, they will underwrite it as a firm commitment (this by the way is how banks make money out of IPO's) and in that case the Glazer's have basically got their dosh. Option 2 is clearly bullshit and basically means the IPO is a fraud and nobody will go near it.

United fans have to hope that the bank fails to underwrite this...but something tells me they will manage it somehow, of course they will, the twats.

Arnie

The bank will buy up the shares at the discounted price (usually it's like 10% less than the initial price).

What the bank does is sign either one of two agreements with the company (MUFC):
1) A "firm commitment" which means it is confident that it can buy up and then resell the shares or
2) A "best effort commitment" which means it can't guarantee it will sell the shares but it will try it's best.

The bank decides which way to go about it by using what they call an "order book" which is basically a list of investors it uses to buy up unwanted stock and it often includes other banks. Jeffries, the main (and second rate) bank which is leading this will be doing that now. If they can are confident enough they can buy up the stock and then sell it back at a higher price, they will underwrite it as a firm commitment (this by the way is how banks make money out of IPO's) and in that case the Glazer's have basically got their dosh. Option 2 is clearly bullshit and basically means the IPO is a fraud and nobody will go near it.

United fans have to hope that the bank fails to underwrite this...but something tells me they will manage it somehow, of course they will, the twats.
Thanks for that, makes sense now. You really do have a good grasp on this financial malarky.

Zabojnik

Football Agent 007 &#8207;@EPLAgent007
Talks between RVP and Juve have stalled because of RVP's wage demands. Juve want a large sum of it to come from appearances.

No idea if there's any truth to it, but it seems a likely scenario.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Happy birthday to Schweinsteiger!!!!!!!!!!!
AND Conte? It's the official CL runner ups day!
Football Agent 007 &#8207;@EPLAgent007
Talks between RVP and Juve have stalled because of RVP's wage demands. Juve want a large sum of it to come from appearances.

No idea if there's any truth to it, but it seems a likely scenario.

I really really REALLY hope this is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom