• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvy

Banned
0.jpg

GOAT.

Arnie

So you did have another whiskey
Nope, was merely making light of his tricky-to-spell name.

I haven't actually had a glass of whiskey tonight, just a few beers with my curry earlier.

Going to go read The Dark Tower and embroil myself in a post apocalyptic western as the gunslinger known as Roland travels the land chasing the Man in Black.

Yen

Nope, was merely making light of his tricky-to-spell name.

I haven't actually had a glass of whiskey tonight, just a few beers with my curry earlier.

Going to go read The Dark Tower and embroil myself in a post apocalyptic western as the gunslinger known as Roland travels the land chasing the Man in Black.

Recently bought the third book, but I have a massive backlog. 2 was great.
Reading Catch-22, currently.

Recently bought the third book, but I have a massive backlog. 2 was great.
Reading Catch-22, currently.

Unlucky guys. The Dark Tower gets its hooks into you, then turns to shit forcing you to continue in the misguided hope that it'll get back to the former glory of the first 3 books

Yen

Unlucky guys. The Dark Tower gets its hooks into you, then turns to shit forcing you to continue in the misguided hope that it'll get back to the former glory of the first 3 books

I'm aware that the author
introduces himself into the story
around the fifth book, and to me, that sounds hilarious/awesome.

Yen

What do you think of Catch-22? I thought it was great, very funny, but also pretty dark in places.

About 200 pages into it and loving the really odd and dark humour. The repetitive nature of the book works really well. Best part of the story so far is Major Major Major.

Bret Ellis did this too in
Lunar Park, to be fair I would also want to meet Bateman.
Was really weird reading though haha

Fintan

About 200 pages into it and loving the really odd and dark humour. The repetitive nature of the book works really well. Best part of the story so far is Major Major Major.

The Major Major stuff was where the book really clicked for me. It's good up until then, but I think it gets great from then on. I might watch the film soon, but I've heard that it's bad.

Yen

The Major Major stuff was where the book really clicked for me. It's good up until then, but I think it gets great from then on. I might watch the film soon, but I've heard that it's bad.

Movie is well received on imdb and rotten tomatoes. Sky+'d it the other day, need to finish the book, though. I read the book before watching the show/movie. NO EXCEPTIONS.

MPW

And he plays on the left side, which is where Ronaldo plays. Don't know if he's as effective on the right wing but he'll be an improvement to Di Maria.

nah, i rather have di maria on the right

unless madrid sells cr7 can't see bale coming

FootballFan

Iniesta played wide ("wide") for Barca quite a bit too, right? Or Fabregas.

Left side - Iniesta, Adriano, Tello, Cuenca, Villa, Pedro.

Sanchez probably did too on rare occasions, and Afellay can play there too. Personally I wouldn't want Bale at Barca. I would however want another CB signing. Puyol, Pique and Masch are not enough.

K1LLER7

nah, i rather have di maria on the right

unless madrid sells cr7 can't see bale coming
Not really seen much of Bale on the right and i'm not really a fan of Di Maria. Would think Madrid would be interested if Nani was to leave United.

Spurs - Bale is beginning to really impress me with his aerial ability. This guy gets more and more like Ronaldo. He is obv a different player but there are some clear similarities especially in the physical aspect to their play. I didn't think Bale could ever be an aerial threat though but it seems I'm going to be wrong...great leap, hangs right up there and his headings pretty good.

And on Arnie's point about them keeping the ball. I haven't watched them in pre-season but judging on last seasons performances I don't think it's a major problem for them. Obv a lot will depend on Modric but Bale, VDV, Gylfi, Sandro and Huddlestone are all players in that midfield who to me seem very comfortable and capable on the ball. None of those can pull the strings the way Modric can and does but for now, Modric is a Spurs player.

Arsenal - Sid Lowe is saying that Cazorla has agreed terms with Arsenal already and is pushing for the move. Only thing remaining is for Arsenal and Malaga to agree a fee and the payment method. Not sure how that fits into what GAFs resident ITK said but I trust Sid Lowe so you have reason to be optimistic. He's also saying Arsenal want Sahin and it's not a case of either/or. I'd be excited though understandably hesitant.

Liverpool - I think Liverpool still need 2 signings who are enough to go into the first team. A winger or wide forward and another offensive minded central midfield player. Liverpool's wide options are obviously poor and they also seem to lack goals from that area. As for the CM/CAM, Gerrards good but you can't trust him to supply a whole season of Stevie G goodness anymore. I think these two players are needed to get them to the top 4. DM is probably needed to tbh, Lucas was a massive miss last year...There is also much work to be done on the mental side of things at that club IMO, Liverpool just never look like a convincing side to me. At times last season Spurs and even Arsenal managed it, Spurs esp and Arsenal put a few good runs together. With Liverpool it isn't a surprise if they slip up at anytime and obv that has a lot to do with tactics and quality of players, I just sense there is a lack of conviction amongst the players.

I think Rodgers can get it right there but he needs time, like 2/3 seasons. Things will change again at Anfield and it's gonna take time for the players to learn and adapt to a quite different system...several of them IMO are not exactly suited down to the ground for it either.

ATF487

What do you think of Catch-22? I thought it was great, very funny, but also pretty dark in places.

Really entertaining read, although I remember a chapter at the end the was so much darker than anything that came before it.

I was reading that during my security desk job, seemed like a lot of kids liked it but it has this particular sense of humor that can rub others the wrong way.

It isn't awesome at all. Its cringeworthy and oddly egotistical. The series as a whole ends up being crushed by King's ego and inability to stop himself from trying to one-up his previous work

Lightning

Banned
Barcelona want Alex Song? This looks similar to Kos that when negioating an extension to his contract all of a sudden there is interest from Barcelona. We're currently trying to extend Song's deal and now we have Barca interest out of nowhere.... Better be agent hype to get the best deal...

Barcelona want Alex Song? This looks similar to Kos that when negioating an extension to his contract all of a sudden there is interest from Barcelona. We're currently trying to extend Song's deal and now we have Barca interest out of nowhere.... Better be agent hype to get the best deal...

He'd be good backup for Barcelona. Arsenal should sell this summer if he doesn't extend his contract. Obviously they won't, but they should. You can see exactly how this is going to pan out next summer.

panty

It always freaks me out reading how casual you talk about Madrid selling CR7. Like it wouldn't be a surprise 0_o

CR7 is going nowhere. The only scenario I could somehow understand is if Mou decides to leave and he manages to talk him to leave with him. That's just not going to happen.

Not now when I just bought RM's 2012-13 home jersey with Ronaldo's name on it

Are the talks with Modric over? Hopefully, because I don't like him.

http://www.dailypoop.co.uk/sport/fo...Modric-bid-Real-Madrid.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

WHAT THE SHIT. He definitely isn't worth that, not even half.

Lightning

Banned
He'd be good backup for Barcelona. Arsenal should sell this summer if he doesn't extend his contract. Obviously they won't, but they should. You can see exactly how this is going to pan out next summer.
Oh yeah, RVP situation all over again but because of Song's age this one will hurt more....

Zabojnik

Old ground photos are sometimes really beautiful. I saw this on the Villa website today.

Villa Park 1907

What I would give for a FIFA / PES Legends! A full-pledged vintage edition of the game(s), with yearly iterations focusing on a specific football decade. They could start with the 50s, than move to the 60s, etc. Authentic stadiums, squads, jerseys, ball-physics and so on, with lots and lots of photo / video / biografic / historic information about the clubs / players. A man can dream. If they were to make it, they'd probably go the cheap route and simply apply a black & white filter option to the current FIFA / PES and charge 20 euros for it anyway. (Fuck you, Euro 2012!)

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul

song is a liability. he'll be a waste of space and gets injured easily. dat arsenal health.

rodvik

What I would give for a FIFA / PES Legends! A full-pledged vintage edition of the game(s), with yearly iterations focusing on a specific football decade. They could start with the 50s, than move to the 60s, etc. Authentic stadiums, squads, jerseys, ball-physics and so on, with lots and lots of photo / video / biografic / historic information about the clubs / players. A man can dream. If they were to make it, they'd probably go the cheap route and simply apply a black & white filter option to the current FIFA / PES and charge 20 euros for it anyway. (Fuck you, Euro 2012!)

That would be fantastic. Get to learn about old players too!

It's lovely!

maine.jpg

Maine Road. It reminds me of a stadium you'd see in Spain, all open air!

Nice!

jtb

Banned
Oh yeah, RVP situation all over again but because of Song's age this one will hurt more....

if we get M'Vila (and that's a big fucking if, but, hell, Sahin on a permanent deal will be just fine too) Song can fuck off for whatever price he likes, because he certainly won't be worth whatever money his agent will have deluded him into thinking he deserves. if Flamini was on 80k+ a week at Milan, I shudder to think what Song and his wonderful lobbing skills might demand in wages.

edit: and this is all assuming Song doesn't sign a new contract, obv.

GorillaJu

Negativity from Liverpool fans is fucking grating. So sick of the whining. Especially the pervasive "blame someone! Anyone, I don't care who. SOMEONE MUST BE BLAMED." mentality.

Blaming the owners is so fucking stupid. I just don't understand what goes through people's heads to let the speculation get so wild and obnoxious. Complaining FSG aren't investing enough? There's no fucking money to invest!! No CL football, and there were huge payments required to clear out the dead wood on big contracts from the previous regime. Kenny Dalglish did not refuse his severance money - that was a rumor created by some fan. He took an 8m payoff. We also had to pay almost 8m to Swansea for Rodgers and his staff.

As for Aquilani? He isn't good enough. He moves and operates too slowly and doesn't press. He gets caught out on the counter like Poulsen and we can't have that. Stop acting so surprised and horrified that were trying to offload him. He's not good enough and for years the Liverpool staff recognized this yet the fans continue to project their illusion that he's some class midfielder who deserves a chance. Charlie Adam is better than Aquilani. I know you don't like to hear this because he's ugly and bit of a JT but he's better than Alberto Aquilani.

And why on gods green earth would we offload a decent, local 23 year old on a dirt cheap contract (Spearing)? He can't replace Lucas and he's nowhere near as good but there's no reason to ditch him except out of bitter spite. It's not as if he's going to be worth 10m or more and clear the wage budget.

Can't even get started on the lack of patience on transfers. I just imagine all these bloodshot eyed scousers in their underwear at bone constantly hitting F5 and pulling out more hair everytime nothing comes up. People are far too demanding.

Viva is 100% right - we need improvements in the squad and it'll be a slow crawl back up but Rodgers can do it. He'll need time and the owners are aware of this.

dc89

Apparently the Wii U version of FIFA13 is graphically superior to the PS360 versions.

EA was “able to make some key graphical improvements” to it.

Theres a thread in gaming about FIFA13 Wii U and I posted the source in there. But here is it anyway.

bjaelke

The Wii U would be great for FIFA if it allowed you to use the controller to make substitutions and change tactics on the fly.

dc89

Here are the details from the thread over in Gaming;

Touchscreen tackling
FIFA 13 Wii U makes it easy for players to switch between defenders as you can take control of a player by tapping on him on the Wii U GamePad's touchscreen. You can then tap on the attacking player, either to man mark him or tackle.
In many games, switching between players is done automatically, so this gives you an extra level of control. You could imagine the man marking tactics being useful when defending against top class players such as Ronaldo and Messi.

Touchscreen passing
You are able to choose exactly where you want to aim the ball thanks to Touchscreen shooting. Shaking the controller or pressing L3 (clicking the left analogue stick) brings up an image of the goal on the screen and then you simply tap on the position you want to place your shot on the goal.
This will make shooting more accurate and realistic than ever before as rather than pressing a direction with the analogue stick or D-Pad, you are now able to enjoy precision shooting by blasting the ball exactly where you want to.

Touchscreen shooting
You are able to choose exactly where you want to aim the ball thanks to Touchscreen shooting. Shaking the controller or pressing L3 (clicking the left analogue stick) brings up an image of the goal on the screen and then you simply tap on the position you want to place your shot on the goal.
This will make shooting more accurate and realistic than ever before as rather than pressing a direction with the analogue stick or D-Pad, you are now able to enjoy precision shooting by blasting the ball exactly where you want to.

Manager Hub
Anyone who follows football will know how important starts are in modern football. We are bombarded with possession, assists and shots on target stats in the media while managers even use Prozone stats to analyse how their own players are performing.
So, FIFA 13 Wii U promises to make it easier than ever before to analyse stats and make managerial decisions in the Manager Hub. You can tap on any player in your team to get full statistical analysis. You can also see where shots are being taken from and it will help you decide who to man mark.

New Free Kick and Penalty System
You already know that you can shoot using the Touchscreen so it shouldn't come as a surprise that you can take free kicks with the GamePad. However, it's not simply a case of tapping on the screen to place your free kick.
Instead, you lift up your GamePad and look through the screen to aim the ball, before putting curve on the ball and shooting. Basically, you are seeing it from the free kick taker's perspective and you can move the GamePad around to see where your players are positioned; this should come in handy when you're taking a free kick from a wide position and are looking to cross the ball into the box.

Manage the Match on the GamePad
As already mentioned, you can analyse the match by looking at the match stats on the GamePad but you can also adjust tactics on the screen when playing as the manager
You can also make half-time team talks to motivate key players. You can choose the manage the team like this in all of the main game modes and intervene if things aren't going well.

Apparently the Wii U version of FIFA13 is graphically superior to the PS360 versions.

Theres a thread in gaming about FIFA13 Wii U and I posted the source in there. But here is it anyway.

Hopefully the PC version gets the same treatment then.

Reading that info some of the stuff sounds really stupid. Stuff like shaking the controller and then tapping where you want to place the shot. Also, the free kick targeting from Fifa 2003. Innovation EA style...

KuGsj.gif

Fuck that sounds so half arsed.

@Odd - I'm with you apart from the Aquilani part. He's a much better player than Adam albeit very different. Showed it in abundance in the 30 or so minutes he got at Liverpool. Just don't expect him to play the same role as Poulsen or Adam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom