• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Football Agent 007 ‏@EPLAgent007
Talks between RVP and Juve have stalled because of RVP's wage demands. Juve want a large sum of it to come from appearances.

No idea if there's any truth to it, but it seems a likely scenario.

"it's not about money" - RVP June 2012

Not convinced by Spurs here. They should buy Carroll, at least then their defence can hoof it instead of passing it back and forth to no effect, their midfield is non-existent.

Football Agent 007 ‏@EPLAgent007
Talks between RVP and Juve have stalled because of RVP's wage demands. Juve want a large sum of it to come from appearances.

No idea if there's any truth to it, but it seems a likely scenario.

Someone should start a @TheRealITKSkySportsAgentBBCEPLOfficial account reposting the Arsenal info we get from our Gaf ITK.

That reminds me.

Cazorla is an Arsenal player right? I have heard it's being announced tmrw (being serious about that).

Not long for M'Vila either...Arsenal fans better hold on tight.

Salvadora

Just the internet/twitter/talksport. Nowhere concrete but alot of people are saying it so it could very well be true - I meant from people other than The Other One basically.

Cazorla & M'Vila would be wonderful buys. It seems all quiet on the M'Vila front though.

Zabojnik

I really really REALLY hope this is true.

I don't know, I thought we already had an agreement over RVP's wage? Imo, nobody knows jack shit. God, how I wish it was the 1st of September already.

Spurs not looking too hot. It's a good thing I decided to go with Newcastle as my PL team. #SantonCissePresent

Fry

AND Conte? It's the official CL runner ups day!

FUCK Conte, today is all about Schweine!!!

ibgJ21W4tMidxw.gif

ibakZWTF9MoI6G.jpg

ib0cqfXtiF3Bbe.jpg

iWfeOo8PmORD3.jpg

Cazorla & M'Vila would be wonderful buys. It seems all quiet on the M'Vila front though,
Only seen the rumours about Cazorla btw, which more or less everyone has seen.

Not heard or seen anything about M'Vila for yonks. Last I heard was Rennes had reduced the asking price or something. The Other One is dead set he's yours though!

Salvadora

Only seen the rumours about Cazorla btw, which more or less everyone has seen.

Not heard or seen anything about M'Vila for yonks. Last I heard was Rennes had reduced the asking price or something. The Other One is dead set he's yours though!

Hearing that his price is 15m euros has me licking my licks. I hope the lack of news is because its pretty much done and dusted but I can't help but think that if he had indeed signed for Arsenal or is very close to doing so, We'd have heard quite a lot about it. The media silence is indeed quite interesting.

Well we'll most likely get few points from our opening 5 fixtures which definitely won't help things.

The lack of positive action is really startingto worry me though. We're losing Aquilani, Bellamy, Carroll and probably one of Skrtel/Agger. In the meantime, we seem to be making no attempt whatsoever to get rid of Downing, Cole or Adam, and made seemingly no attempt to keep Kuyt and Maxi around. Potentially Allen and Dempsey isn't enough for me to shake the feeling that we'll end up with a barely superior squad at the start of September than we had at the end of May.

Its all well and good shifting the deadwood and getting the wages down, but not when you do it by getting rid of useful players and doing the bare minimum in terms of replacing them

LegoArmo

I've seen M'Vila in around 10 matches now, which is obviously not that many, but he's failed to impress in any of them. He's young though and has a lot of hype, plus I assume he made the French squad on merit, so if that really is his price, clubs should jump on it.

jtb

Banned
doubt M'Vila is happening. I believe Wenger when he says he wants cover for Diaby/Wilshere... too bad he's picking up another (potentially injury-prone, certainly not fit) midfielder instead. Think it'd be Sahin or M'Vila; can't see him getting both and of the two, Sahin is cheaper, more proven, and, probably most importantly of all, won't dislodge the nucleus of the team. Wenger is, for better or for worse, fiercely loyal to that core of his team and won't want their development halted because of a new buy.

Wenger just has to find the balance. He needs limits to how much he's willing to spend on each target, and backup targets if the other club refuses to go below their valuation. For an example of how not to do it, see the Damien Commoli & Kenny Dalglish tag-team. Not a care in the world when it came to placing reasonable values on our targets, and nothing in terms of other targets to fall back on when the other club starts taking the piss regarding transfer fees (which they're well within their rights to do, and its something we need to do)

Wilbur

Banned
Koptimism fading before the season even started. I'd laugh except someone will mention Malcolm and I'll rip the dick from my loins

Arnie

The lack of positive action is really startingto worry me though. We're losing Aquilani, Bellamy, Carroll and probably one of Skrtel/Agger.
For what it's worth I don't think we'll sell Carroll because I don't think a suitable team will match our asking price. If we do lose one of Skrtel/Agger we'll get a ton for them, which would hopefully strengthen the team massively.

In the meantime, we seem to be making no attempt whatsoever to get rid of Downing, Cole or Adam, and made seemingly no attempt to keep Kuyt and Maxi around.
I don't think Downing's as bad as people make out, same with Adam (although I see us using him as part of the Dempsey deal), and Cole's a tough sell to any team because of his wages.

In regards to the other two, we made a public plea to keep Maxi, but he was determined to go back to Argentina. As for Kuyt, it became abundantly clear last season that he was done giving us the sort of performances we required, especially for the level of wages he was on as a senior player.

Potentially Allen and Dempsey isn't enough for me to shake the feeling that we'll end up with a barely superior squad at the start of September than we had at the end of May.
We'll bring in more attacking options, for sure. If we keep our centre backs I don't see where else we need to strengthen, apart from the front 3, and I believe we will.

Its all well and good shifting the deadwood and getting the wages down, but not when you do it by getting rid of useful players and doing the bare minimum in terms of replacing them
There's no evidence to suggest we're doing the bare minimum. In fact there's evidence to the contrary, the latest interview with Rodgers that went up tonight talks about the great length we're going to to identify and close in on our targets, but these things take time. I also don't think there's a player who we've sold which I desperately wanted to keep, for one reason or another; Kuyt and Maxi were done (Maxi is questionable, but he was eager to go home), Bellamy can't play consistently any more (and leaves a space for a new attacking signing that can), and the whole Aquilani saga needed to end, at least now we've freed up our wage bill for much needed contract extensions and new signings.

Honestly I think we're just getting ourselves into a bunch over nothing really, doing a Kyoufu if you will. There's much evidence to suggest we're looking to sign players, it's just these things take time.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't know, I thought we already had an agreement over RVP's wage? Imo, nobody knows jack shit. God, how I wish it was the 1st of September already.

Spurs not looking too hot. It's a good thing I decided to go with Newcastle as my PL team. #SantonCissePresent

I don't think an account with 007 in their name is reliable anyway :p

Fry8 said:
FUCK Conte, today is all about Schweine!!!

Felipe, I'm slowly becoming convinced that you're in fact Felipe Melo.

No point in hiding it anymore, TELL US!

kl8r2.gif

For what it's worth I don't think we'll sell Carroll because I don't think a suitable team will match our asking price. If we do lose one of Skrtel/Agger we'll get a ton for them, which would hopefully strengthen the team massively.

I don't think Downing's as bad as people make out, same with Adam (although I see us using him as part of the Dempsey deal), and Cole's a tough sell to any team because of his wages.

In regards to the other two, we made a public plea to keep Maxi, but he was determined to go back to Argentina. As for Kuyt, it became abundantly clear last season that he was done giving us the sort of performances we required, especially for the level of wages he was on as a senior player.

We'll bring in more attacking options, for sure. If we keep our centre backs I don't see where else we need to strengthen, apart from the front 3, and I believe we will.

There's no evidence to suggest we're doing the bare minimum. In fact there's evidence to the contrary, the latest interview with Rodgers that went up tonight talks about the great length we're going to to identify and close in on our targets, but these things take time. I also don't think there's a player who we've sold which I desperately wanted to keep, for one reason or another; Kuyt and Maxi were done (Maxi is questionable, but he was eager to go home), Bellamy can't play consistently any more (and leaves a space for a new attacking signing that can), and the whole Aquilani saga needed to end, at least now we've freed up our wage bill for much needed contract extensions and new signings.

Honestly I think we're just getting ourselves into a bunch over nothing really, doing a Kyoufu if you will. There's much evidence to suggest we're looking to sign players, it's just these things take time.

At the very least, DM needs strengthening. I'd also say we need 2 wingers, at least 1 quality striker, a centreback if Skrtel/Agger leave. That's a hell of an overhaul to make in under a month, let alone the amount of time it'd take for those new signings to adapt.

And regarding Downing and Adam, I wouldn't be too disappointed if neiuther of them wore a Liverpool shirt again. Its sounds like everything bad about supporters these days, but I genuinely can't really be bothered to support either of them beyond trying to be unbiased. Neither of them have ever given us a bone like Carroll and Henderson, so balls to them.

Arnie

At the very least, DM needs strengthening. I'd also say we need 2 wingers, at least 1 quality striker, a centreback if Skrtel/Agger leave. That's a hell of an overhaul to make in under a month, let alone the amount of time it'd take for those new signings to adapt.

And regarding Downing and Adam, I wouldn't be too disappointed if neiuther of them wore a Liverpool shirt again. Its sounds like everything bad about supporters these days, but I genuinely can't really be bothered to support either of them beyond trying to be unbiased. Neither of them have ever given us a bone like Carroll and Henderson, so balls to them.

From what I've seen of Allen at the Olympics, he's very accomplished at playing that midfield protector role, stepping in to make interceptions and win back the ball, and determine the tempo of the game from deep. He also knows Rodgers system, so he knows when to rest on the ball and when to push forwards in attack. I think, whilst he's obviously planned as a signing to play alongside Lucas, he could deputise in Lucas' role when needed. I'm very confident of that.

Can't agree about Adam, I don't see where he's lacked in terms of effort when compared to Henderson and Carroll. He gave his all in my opinion, and whilst it might not be good enough to guarantee a start each week (and luckily I don't think Rodgers will feel he needs to start him, like Kenny did), he's a decent player to have coming off the bench.

Downing's not as bad as everyone makes out, he's technically sound, quite quick, and can put in a decent cross. He's coachable in my opinion, and his biggest problem is drifting out of games.

From what I've seen of Allen at the Olympics, he's very accomplished at playing that midfield protector role, stepping in to make interceptions and win back the ball, and determine the tempo of the game from deep. He also knows Rodgers system, so he knows when to rest on the ball and when to push forwards in attack. I think, whilst he's obviously planned as a signing to play alongside Lucas, he could deputise in Lucas' role when needed. I'm very confident of that.

Can't agree about Adam, I don't see where he's lacked in terms of effort when compared to Henderson and Carroll. He gave his all in my opinion, and whilst it might not be good enough to guarantee a start each week (and luckily I don't think Rodgers will feel he needs to start him, like Kenny did), he's a decent player to have coming off the bench.

Downing's not as bad as everyone makes out, he's technically sound, quite quick, and can put in a decent cross. He's coachable in my opinion, and his biggest problem is drifting out of games.

Downing, for lack of a better and more fitting word, is a bit of a shithouse. Adam on the other hand just pisses me off constantly with almost every aspect of his play. Perhaps he can win me round by showing a remarkably surprising ability to keep it simple and make the right choice most of the time, I doubt it though

K1LLER7

Good day of football tomorrow.

14:30pm brazil v New Zealand. Lucas should get a game. And then...

19:45pm GB v Uruguay. Must win game for Uruguay, GB need a draw at least.

Kyoufu

To be honest I think everyone at Liverpool deserves another chance with B-Rod's style. Could bring some players out of their shells and get them performing. Like Carroll for instance. I know he's suited to hoofball, but with intricate passing he could find himself in plenty of goal scoring positions.

Should give him and others a chance before demanding their heads.

To be honest I think everyone at Liverpool deserves another chance with B-Rod's style. Could bring some players out of their shells and get them performing. Like Carroll for instance. I know he's suited to hoofball, but with intricate passing he could find himself in plenty of goal scoring positions.

Easy to say without having been at least partly reliant on them to make last season a good one :p

Arnie

Giving them a chance could well result in another season of mediocrity, which the club really can't afford. Should explain why us Liverpool fans are getting tetchy, and arguing with shadows. Being a Liverpool fan feels like a Cold War novel, expecting destruction at any minute from some unknown threat.

Giving them a chance could well result in another season of mediocrity, which the club really can't afford. Should explain why us Liverpool fans are getting tetchy, and arguing with shadows. Being a Liverpool fan feels like a Cold War novel, expecting destruction at any minute from some unknown threat.

We're kind of laughably stuck. Give them a new chance in a new system, and risk a similarly dismal season. Or we massively overhaul the squad, change too many things too quickly and suffer an abysmal season regardless. Gotta find that balance,

Arnie

We're kind of laughably stuck. Give them a new chance in a new system, and risk a similarly dismal season. Or we massively overhaul the squad, change too many things too quickly and suffer an abysmal season regardless. Gotta find that balance,

True. We're in this mess because we tried to change too much too quickly.

Every time I see Spurs play I get the feeling that they're going to go strongly for Allen. They're definitely missing quality in the midfield, they just can't keep hold of the ball.

What a save by the Red Bulls keeper.

Slizz

Red Bulls keeper is blocking every shot.... Couple of real good shots on goal for Spurs and he's denied them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom