• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozak

Banned
I'm pretty sure all that stuff is optional. Even in the Wii/DS versions of FIFA they had different control options.

Mastadon

Banned
KuGsj.gif

Fuck that sounds so half arsed.

@Odd - I'm with you apart from the Aquilani part. He's a much better player than Adam albeit very different. Showed it in abundance in the 30 or so minutes he got at Liverpool. Just don't expect him to play the same role as Poulsen or Adam.

I like Aquilani, but not to the tune of 125k a week. I think he's wildly overrated by some of our fans, who are so desperate for some quality that they're overlooking his flaws.

He's been evaluated by 3 separate manager and coaching staff, and at least 1.5 of those are competent enough for me to trust their decision.

I like Aquilani, but not to the tune of 125k a week. I think he's wildly overrated by some of our fans, who are so desperate for some quality that they're overlooking his flaws.

He's been evaluated by 3 separate manager and coaching staff, and at least 1.5 of those are competent enough for me to trust their decision.

I think he was Benitez's man and after he left you had too defensive minded managers in a row that had no time for a midfielder who didn't spend their life pressing. Also, he plays second fiddle to the sometimes fit Gerrard. Rodgers needs to offload because of the wages and because Aqua doesn't like the club very much anymore.

Salazar

I'm pretty sure all that stuff is optional. Even in the Wii/DS versions of FIFA they had different control options.

Too much gestural management and I would feel like Rafa, and I would, in that moment, be at risk of killing myself with the controller in a spasm of misery.

Mastadon

Banned
I think he was Benitez's man and after he left you had too defensive minded managers in a row that had no time for a midfielder who didn't spend their life pressing. Also, he plays second fiddle to the sometimes fit Gerrard. Rodgers needs to offload because of the wages and because Aqua doesn't like the club very much anymore.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep him as he offers something no-one else in the squad does. He's no Jay Spearing though.

pulga

Banned
Lads, I figure I'd ask here before bumping a thread as I know some of you (Arnie?) use DNS rerouting to get access to US netflix. Playmo.tv is charging now. I'd rather not pay an additional cost if I don't have to. I've also used a trial at unblock-us which, as far as services go if I have to pay for one, I'd choose them since I can switch back and forth between content. But as I'm strapped for cash I'd rather see if there is a cheap (i.e. free) solution. Any clue?

If you ever got an answer for this, I will love you long time if you let me know!

and holy fucking shit, 7 more hours for Honduras vs. Japan. Please please please please let's not fuck this up and lets make it through

PaulLFC

I'm sure he's not on 125k a week, more like 70k. Still high, but 125k would put him as earning more than Gerrard I think.

Some news on the Elite Player Performance Plan

Newcastle United, Blackburn Rovers and Crystal Palace have suffered the blow of failing to achieve the top grade under the new four-tier Premier League system for youth development, Goal.com can reveal. They were among the 23 clubs, 17 of whom were from last season’s top division and six from the Championship, who applied for the leading Category One status. Twelve clubs have been inspected by the league’s independent standards organisation and the Professional Game Board has ratified the recommendations of the audit team.

Fulham, Southampton, Stoke City, Sunderland, West Ham and Wolves have taken the step of announcing in the last few days that they have been successful in achieving their Category One aim. Goal.com understands that Chelsea, Manchester City and Manchester United are the other newly accredited Category One clubs.

However, Newcastle, Blackburn and Palace are believed to have all been awarded Category Two status. This will have considerable financial consequences and inhibits the academies’ capacity to produce future first-team players to follow in the footsteps of star graduates like Andy Carroll, Steven Taylor, Phil Jones, Victor Moses and Nathaniel Clyne.

The Premier League maintains its audit of clubs is ongoing and it will not make any announcement until the remaining Category One applicants have been inspected. The process will recommence in September, with Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham, Everton, Aston Villa, Reading, Bolton Wanderers, Norwich, West Brom and Watford still to be audited.

Under the funding mechanism for the new system – called the Elite Player Performance Plan – each Category One club is projected to receive a minimum £775,000-a-year in Premier League funding from the youth development pot. Category Two clubs will receive a minimum £480,000, Category Three clubs £210,000 and Category Four clubs £100,000. Each club is graded according to criteria such as facilities, productivity rates, coaching staff and funding, with a fixed tariff paid for players under 18 according to how much time has been invested in them. Academies will be reviewed every two years and re-categorised if necessary.

Also, Stobart confirming that Villas-Boas doesn't think Sahin can cope with the pace of the Premier League. Not interested in a cash + player deal apparently. They want the money to reinvest in Moutinho... Tom Huddlestone is fucked.

pappe

Touchscreen tackling
FIFA 13 Wii U makes it easy for players to switch between defenders as you can take control of a player by tapping on him on the Wii U GamePad's touchscreen. You can then tap on the attacking player, either to man mark him or tackle.
In many games, switching between players is done automatically, so this gives you an extra level of control. You could imagine the man marking tactics being useful when defending against top class players such as Ronaldo and Messi.

Touchscreen passing
You are able to choose exactly where you want to aim the ball thanks to Touchscreen shooting. Shaking the controller or pressing L3 (clicking the left analogue stick) brings up an image of the goal on the screen and then you simply tap on the position you want to place your shot on the goal.
This will make shooting more accurate and realistic than ever before as rather than pressing a direction with the analogue stick or D-Pad, you are now able to enjoy precision shooting by blasting the ball exactly where you want to.

Touchscreen shooting
You are able to choose exactly where you want to aim the ball thanks to Touchscreen shooting. Shaking the controller or pressing L3 (clicking the left analogue stick) brings up an image of the goal on the screen and then you simply tap on the position you want to place your shot on the goal.
This will make shooting more accurate and realistic than ever before as rather than pressing a direction with the analogue stick or D-Pad, you are now able to enjoy precision shooting by blasting the ball exactly where you want to.

Manager Hub
Anyone who follows football will know how important starts are in modern football. We are bombarded with possession, assists and shots on target stats in the media while managers even use Prozone stats to analyse how their own players are performing.
So, FIFA 13 Wii U promises to make it easier than ever before to analyse stats and make managerial decisions in the Manager Hub. You can tap on any player in your team to get full statistical analysis. You can also see where shots are being taken from and it will help you decide who to man mark.

New Free Kick and Penalty System
You already know that you can shoot using the Touchscreen so it shouldn't come as a surprise that you can take free kicks with the GamePad. However, it's not simply a case of tapping on the screen to place your free kick.
Instead, you lift up your GamePad and look through the screen to aim the ball, before putting curve on the ball and shooting. Basically, you are seeing it from the free kick taker's perspective and you can move the GamePad around to see where your players are positioned; this should come in handy when you're taking a free kick from a wide position and are looking to cross the ball into the box.

Manage the Match on the GamePad

As already mentioned, you can analyse the match by looking at the match stats on the GamePad but you can also adjust tactics on the screen when playing as the manager
You can also make half-time team talks to motivate key players. You can choose the manage the team like this in all of the main game modes and intervene if things aren't going well.
23wp9h5-thumb-180x135.gif

Kenka

I hope Basel can beat Molde but I don't know what to expect from a team managed by Solskjaer. They won their first title last year, right ? They might actually be a threat since their rise in form has probably not stopped yet.

Hixx

O'Shea and Cuellar seems to be O'Neill's preferred centre half pairing. I am very much ok with this. Wonder if that means Wes at right back... he's too good not to play when fit.

bjaelke

I hope Basel can beat Molde but I don't know what to expect from a team managed by Solskjaer. They won their first title last year, right ? They might actually be a threat since their rise in form has probably not stopped yet.
It's Norwegian football.

It's lovely!

maine.jpg

Maine Road. It reminds me of a stadium you'd see in Spain, all open air!

All open air stadiums in Spain?

Maybe in Liga Adelante or 2ªB, but in La Liga there are none like this.

Well maybe Vallecas, but that's because those dirty pigs can't afford anything better. Scum.

D_prOdigy

Unitedlite.

So yeah, Basel will probably spunk them.

I hope West Ham are going to actually improve our squad, not just resign a lot of former players. We got £90m (ish) for winning the play-off final. I'd like to think we'd use at least 15 million of that this summer to try and stay up.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Also, Stobart confirming that Villas-Boas doesn't think Sahin can cope with the pace of the Premier League. Not interested in a cash + player deal apparently. They want the money to reinvest in Moutinho... Tom Huddlestone is fucked.

Huddlestone has been so good in pre-season. If him and BAE are shipped out to get in some expensive twats from abroad I will be pissed. I'd rather spend that Modric money on strikers than spunk it all on Moutinho and Cissokho.

Salazar

Agent Jan de Visser has confirmed that Fulham have already turned down one Manchester United bid for Moussa Dembele this summer.

Hrrrrmmmm.

WiiU sounds so shit. What the hell Nintendo.

Would like Dembele. Rather we spend £7/£8m on him than £20m+ on RVP and pay £150k in wages. Demebele will be a good option in 2/3 positions and save us some money so we can buy a left back.

Apparently Adebayor is refusing to move to Spurs unless City give him the entire transfer fee which is now £4m, he's saying he'll just stay at City for another 2 years and collect the wages. That's on top of a £5m signing on fee, and he will still be earning £170k a week as City will be subsidising his wages at Spurs.

1. LOL City
2. Adebayor..what a JT.

Yup. We want Sahin too, it seems. Fee is 17.3m for Cazorla, apparently.
Is that a club record?

Ushojax

Apparently Adebayor is refusing to move to Spurs unless City give him the entire transfer fee which is now £4m, he's saying he'll just stay at City for another 2 years and collect the wages. That's on top of a £5m signing on fee, and he will still be earning £170k a week as City will be subsidising his wages at Spurs.

1. LOL City
2. Adebayor..what a JT.

I don't think City will be subsidising anything. Ade will earn 100k a week at Spurs and he wants a signing on fee to compensate for the salary reduction. The hold up is over where that fee comes from. We want to avoid paying City anything and to give the money straight to Ade, City want the fee for themselves. They will give in eventually.

Scum

Would like Dembele. Rather we spend £7/£8m on him than £20m+ on RVP and pay £150k in wages. Demebele will be a good option in 2/3 positions and save us some money so we can buy a left back.
Pfft. I refuse to blame Nintendo for EA's lack of creativity. Switching through saved tactics/formations in the fly using the screen when the need be would be so much better. But hey, it's EA after all.

Arnie

Huddlestone has been so good in pre-season. If him and BAE are shipped out to get in some expensive twats from abroad I will be pissed. I'd rather spend that Modric money on strikers than spunk it all on Moutinho and Cissokho.

Can't agree with that. I've seen you play a few times and you've looked light on quality in the middle, even with Huddlestone on the pitch. Sure, you're missing Sandro and Parker, but I don't think Huddlestone's good enough to compensate for the loss of Modric, even if he is a competent passer of the ball, there's so much more to the role than that.

Villas-Boas says he wants to aim for the title, your team looked capable of that for two third of last season, if you don't properly replace Modric you won't get close. I'm sure of that.

The report (goal.com) suggests his concern is a moral one, apparently he wants to "punish" Man City.

I can get behind that.
His reasons for being mad at City are so trivial when you consider the lavish fees he's been given over the course of his contract, for doing relatively nob all.

Ushojax

Adebayor is one hell of a greedy JT.

Would you take a 40% wage cut without a fuss? I don't think it's being greedy to expect a bit of compensation for leaving your mega-contract two years before it ends. Ade's being a cock but City were cocks to him.

Arnie said:
Can't agree with that. I've seen you play a few times and you've looked light on quality in the middle, even with Huddlestone on the pitch. Sure, you're missing Sandro and Parker, but I don't think Huddlestone's good enough to compensate for the loss of Modric, even if he is a competent passer of the ball, there's so much more to the role than that.

Villas-Boas says he wants to aim for the title, your team looked capable of that for two third of last season, if you don't properly replace Modric you won't get close. I'm sure of that.

I'm not saying Huddlestone can replace Modric, simply that he can play a role and he doesn't deserve to be shunted out of the squad, I'd still take him over Livermore and Parker. If the Modric money is the only money we have to spend then I'd rather it be spent on strikers and somebody like Dembele rather than £30m on someone from the Portugese league.

Kyoufu

So I had a dream last night that we played West Ham and thrashed them 5-0. The crowd were taking the mick with Fat Sam chants.

Bring on the new season.

Arnie

I'm not saying Huddlestone can replace Modric, simply that he can play a role and he doesn't deserve to be shunted out of the squad, I'd still take him over Livermore and Parker. If the Modric money is the only money we have to spend then I'd rather it be spent on strikers and somebody like Dembele rather than £30m on someone from the Portugese league.

If it is the only money you've got to spend then you're fucked. Luckily I think Levy will give AVB enough money to buy a striker, albeit a cheap one.

I think Huddlestone's a good passer, but I don't see anything particularly special in him, and I'll always question him because of his physique (which he's definitely worked on). He could play a role on the bench, but you need, without question, a top midfield player to replace Modric. If Modric goes that is. Moutinho's a good player, and Villas-Boas knows his attributes well; it's a bold move saying Sahin can't adapt to the pace of the Premier League, but at least it shows he's given the situation serious thought.

If you can buy Ade, Defoe returns, and then you can pick up a cheap ~£10 million striker you'll do alright.

Pikmin 3. All is forgiven.

Dembele's goal-scoring record is pretty sub-par. If United sign him, it's to be a solid option in midfield - certainly not to be sneezed at. Doubt we'll buy Baines or any left back for that matter. The PL tax Everton want for him is ridiculous, Fabio's coming back next season and I can see Fergie gambling on Evra's fitness. Hopefully, this is all in aid of a rapturous Sahin swoop.

Conte's plea bargain was rejected. He'll now be forced to prove his innocence and might face up to a year ban. Fucking Italy, man.

This also bodes poorly for Bonucci. He faces up to three years and his plea bargain, if he had put one forward, was for a one year ban. If they don't think Conte's plea of three years (for basically not reporting that he was aware of people trying to fix matches) is not enough then I can't even imagine what Bonucci will get if convicted.

This is awful, guys :(

Edit: to be clear, Bonucci always wanted to prove his innocence. A plea was never going to be offered.

The court wants Conte and Palazzi to come up with a new plea agreement. I hope it's an increase in the fine rather than time, and I hope Juve does the smart thing and offers to pay it. This can still be saved, but likely the court just wants Conte's ban increased. Silly shit, this is.

Kyoufu

Conte's plea bargain was rejected. He'll now be forced to prove his innocence and might face up to a year ban. Fucking Italy, man.

This also bodes poorly for Bonucci. He faces up to three years and his plea bargain, if he had put one forward, was for a one year ban. If they don't think Conte's plea of three years (for basically not reporting that he was aware of people trying to fix matches) is not enough then I can't even imagine what Bonucci will get if convicted.

This is awful, guys :(

I'm confused. Didn't they sort all this out years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom