• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

I think I've caught the RedCafe transfer syndrome.

When United are linked with a player we don't believe it and dismiss it as tabloid bollocks.

But when another club are linked with a player, we believe it and the sky is falling down.

How did I know that after the Benfica match that Oscar Cardozo would be linked with Juve? I like him, but give me a break! Let's get this shit solved, Marotta!

Wilbur

Banned
I think Liam's voice could be seen as a bit of an acquired taste, but Noel's voice is pretty much perfect. The Masterplan, perhaps not coincidentally, has a number of his songs (since they were rarer as A-sides in those days).

Okay you're insane

I know but at least when he's on I expect him to do well or something good to happen.

It's getting so tiresome watching us play. Everything is so slow and functional. That's why I'd love us to sign Moura. I know we don't need him but I can't be bothered to cherry pick over transfers. When he gets the ball I'm excited, want more players like that.

Yeah I know, we're pretty poor aesthetically. Kagawa should change that though, he's such a technically good player.

How did I know that after the Benfica match that Oscar Cardozo would be linked with Juve? I like him, but give me a break! Let's get this shit solved, Marotta!

Cardozo is fucking great.

Clegg

I know but at least when he's on I expect him to do well or something good to happen.

It's getting so tiresome watching us play. Everything is so slow and functional. That's why I'd love us to sign Moura. I know we don't need him but I can't be bothered to cherry pick over transfers. When he gets the ball I'm excited, want more players like that.

Nani is a pretty exciting player to watch. And I think that the signing of Kagawa will go some way to alleviate our problems with creativity.

For the last few seasons our main attacking outlet has been to pass the ball from the midfield out to the wings and see what happens. We've gotten by on that because we have such high quality wingers. But last season we saw that in certain games our wings were ineffective and as a result our attack was completely suffocated.

If Kagawa plays as an attacking midfielder then it will add creativity in more central areas and speed up our approach. It should also hopefully free up space for our wingers as defenders will be trying to break down our attacks through the middle.

K1LLER7

I'm like this, which is why I hope Bebe stays. He's good to watch and you don't know if pre-season Bebe will turn up or the carling cup Bebe will.

Kagawa will be a exciting player to watch too which should be a improvement.

Arnie

Arsenal are going to be boss next season, so long as Giroud and Podolski pick up the goal scoring; even if they don't I imagine Cazorla will create quite a few goal scoring opportunities himself. Adding Sahin is just taking the piss.

Nani is a pretty exciting player to watch. And I think that the signing of Kagawa will go some way to alleviate our problems with creativity.

For the last few seasons our main attacking outlet has been to pass the ball from the midfield out to the wings and see what happens. We've gotten by on that because we have such high quality wingers. But last season we saw that in certain games our wings were ineffective and as a result our attack was completely suffocated.

If Kagawa plays as an attacking midfielder then it will add creativity in more central areas and speed up our approach. It should also hopefully free up space for our wingers as defenders will be trying to break down our attacks through the middle.
Nani is great but as you say our play just amounts to hey Nani here you go do something. Nani is actually capable of intricate link up play so I hope he and Kagawa do well together.

I don't know I'm just not excited about this season at all. It could start tmrw or it could start in a month I don't even care.

Somebody slap me.

Wilbur

Banned
Bob Dylan's new album started out as an album of "religious songs", he revealed this week. But it ended up something very different: a record where "anything goes", including a reference to Leonard DiCaprio in a song about the Titanic.

I fear already.

Clegg

United should splash that £40m on Sahin and M'Vila. That would go an awful long way in alleviating our problems in midfield. Sahin could be our long term replacement for Carrick and M'Vila would do the job that Hargreaves was originally earmarked for.

Will never happen though as they aren't wingers.

Wilbur

Banned
United should splash that £40m on Sahin and M'Vila. That would go an awful long way in alleviating our problems in midfield. Sahin could be our long term replacement for Carrick and M'Vila would do the job that Hargreaves was originally earmarked for.

This would make my dick harder than one of Downing's shots

It'll never happen cos we don't have that £40m.

Where has Krasic just gone and for how much? Is it the same club that want Berbatov? They paid for Krasic surely they'll pay for Berbatov come on somebody just take him please.

Sky TV is reporting that Inter and Sao Paolo have agreed to terms on Lucas Moura.

And, yes, Oscar Cardoza is class, but at the same age as RVP? And for a team that'd be reluctant to sell? I don't think it's either wise or possible necessarily.

Krasic went to Fenerbahce for €7. WHY YOU NO BUY HIM EPL?!

Send Berba to Juve. We'd treat him well.

vall03

Arsenal are going to be boss next season, so long as Giroud and Podolski pick up the goal scoring; even if they don't I imagine Cazorla will create quite a few goal scoring opportunities himself. Adding Sahin is just taking the piss.

Arsenal still have shit defense though. Are there even any rumors with new defender signings with Arsenal?

Arnie

This would make my dick harder than one of Downing's shots

An apt benchmark.
Arsenal still have shit defense though. Are there even any rumors with new defender signings with Arsenal?
They have shit depth in their defence, but a back four of Sagna, Koscielny, Vermahlen, and Gibbs is pretty good. Unfortunately all of those players have a tendency to shatter like cheap china under the slightest contact.

severin

Seen Aidan Gillen of Wire/GOT fame today, was pretty neat. Also, why Liverpool weren't in for Cazorla (which as seems to be a running trend for a few seasons now) baffles me.

Clegg

It'll never happen cos we don't have that £40m.

I probably should have said that it will never happen coz they aren't wingers and we have no money.

James Ducker ‏@DuckerTheTimes
Ed Woodward says in presentation that Chevy deal "a world record" & commercial revenue could account for over 50pc of total rev in 3 yrs

Bolingbroke says FFP is central to United's long-term business plan. "We expect that to be extremely beneficial going forward".

Bolingbroke: "We are giving guidance at the moment that the current transfer period could result in net expenditure nearer £40m” #MUFC

Remember, £15m downpayments on Powell/Kagawa on course to be offset so £40m could still be spent from now, according to presentation

The stuff about the sponsorship deal is very interesting. Could the Reuters report actually be true?

I probably should have said that it will never happen coz they aren't wingers and we have no money.

The stuff about the transfer deal is very interesting. Could the Reuters report actually be true?
Well I was going to post about this before but I just couldn't be bothered, but this is what interested me most about the presentation.

Revenue was at £320m or so last year, commercial revenue the smallest contributor (I think) at £100m. If that's to get towards 50% it needs to increase by £60m. And that's before taking into account the increase in TV rights which is yet to be fully confirmed but should come to at least another £20/£30m a year. So basically an increase in commercial revenue of at least £70m. That's a lot of money and you'd expect the largest chunk of that to come from a renewal of the two flagship sponsorship deals.

Guess it remains to be seen. If is really strange though that the club hasn't yet announced the details of the deal.

Arnie

Seen Aidan Gillen of Wire/GOT fame today, was pretty neat. Also, why Liverpool weren't in for Cazorla (which as seems to be a running trend for a few seasons now) baffles me.

Because Arsenal were. We can't compete with clubs that are offering Champions League football, unless of course we're discussing Cavani, who's waiting with baited breath for his Nokia 3210 to ring with the contact name 'Ian Ayre' blazed on the black and white screen, You'll Never Walk Alone blearing out in polyphonic glory.

Wilbur

Banned
Because Arsenal were. We can't compete with clubs that are offering Champions League football, unless of course we're discussing Cavani, who's waiting with baited breath for his Nokia 3210 to ring with the contact name 'Ian Ayre' blazed on the black and white screen, You'll Never Walk Alone blearing out in polyphonic glory.

This is almost as mad as claiming Noel Gallagher has a perfect voice

ATF487

Shame his other phones got stolen

severin

True, it's just that i remember that word round the pre-season campfire was that we were in for Cazorla for the past few years, surprised that we didn't at least gave it a shot this year seeing as how he was actually on the market. Whatever though, Stu Downing has hit form.

Arnie

True, it's just that i remember that word round the pre-season campfire was that we were in for Cazorla for the past few years, surprised that we didn't at least gave it a shot this year seeing as how he was actually on the market. Whatever though, Stu Downing has hit form.

'Years past' falls into three categories:

Rafa in charge, interest more than likely genuine due to the shared Spanish heritage, no funds available because Hicks and Gillette were sapping the club of all it's worth.

Hodgson in charge, interest lingering from the Rafa reign, Hodgson plays in two banks of four, of which Cazorla doesn't really fit.

Kenny in charge, Cazorla's not British or Premier League proven, don't be ridiculous.

Rodgers in charge, Cazorla fits both the style and the current hole in our squad, unfortunately with Arsenal in for him any approach from us would be worthless.

In regards to Sakho, I really like him and he'd be a bargain this summer. If anyone poaches one of our centre backs I hope we go after him as a replacement.

Andy+Carroll+in+a+West+Ham+shirt

G17

Sakho is a top class defender. Even if PSG didn't have rich owners he still would have garnered at least 30 million. If he's going anywhere it has to be Real Madrid or Barcelona doesn't it.

jtb

Banned
frankly, I'd be fine if we only signed a right back this window as long as Sahin/M'Vila are signed. and that right back should be Debuchy. fuck a defense, let's just outscore anyone and everyone (and the only way to do that is with the width full backs provide... our play was fucking dire during January when we had a back four made up of exclusively center halves)

Sakho was so bad this season whenever I saw him. The star young CBs in France are Yanga-Mbiwa and Nicolas N'Koulou.

We could sign 4 Maldini's though and it we'll still concede goals with the way we leave a flat back four constantly exposed. I'm fine with our defensive options provided we get a quality DM (I'm a broken record at this point, lol).

Arnie

Sakho is a top class defender. Even if PSG didn't have rich owners he still would have garnered at least 30 million. If he's going anywhere it has to be Real Madrid or Barcelona doesn't it.

No fudging way, I heard he'd be available for less than £10 million. He's young, unwanted, and PSG need to clear him off the wage bill.

G17

No fudging way, I heard he'd be available for less than £10 million. He's young, unwanted, and PSG need to clear him off the wage bill.

If Sakho is leaving PSG this summer there will be a huge bidding war. 30 million Euros sounds about right.

If Sakho is leaving PSG this summer there will be a huge bidding war. 30 million Euros sounds about right.

There's no way. He's coming off a poor season and was reduced to being a bench player before the campaign was up, never mind now that they have arguably the best CB in the game ahead of him.

Sakho would be cheap. Risky imo, as his season was pretty worrying (many have been highly rated as kids then dramatically fallen off), but the reward if he fulfills his potential would be huge.

Arsenal have got the personnel in defence, they're pretty much all world class defenders, they've just never played like it for Arsenal (Kos aside).

I'm hoping that Bould is going to have a positive effect on that side of things. I really don't think Arsenal need any new players back there as long as they can play like they obviously can play, it's just about getting them to do that.

Clegg

Arsenal have got the personnel in defence, they're pretty much all world class defenders, they've just never played like it for Arsenal (Kos aside).

I'm hoping that Bould is going to have a positive effect on that side of things. I really don't think Arsenal need any new players back there as long as they can play like they obviously can play, it's just about getting them to do that.

Nope.

G17

He's one of the best young centre-back's in the world and has huge potential even with last season. With the likes of City/Chelsea on the market it'll probably happen.

I do hope for the sake of his career he leaves.

Arnie

He's one of the best young centre-back's in the world and has huge potential even with last season. With the likes of City/Chelsea on the market it'll probably happen.

I do hope for the sake of his career he leaves.

If he goes, it'll be to the likes of Spurs, Arsenal, and Liverpool, not City or Chelsea.

As others have said, he was on the bench for a lot of last season and he didn't play too well, but he'd be worth the risk in my opinion. PSG have told him he can leave, and he wouldn't cost a whole lot of money (genuinely have no idea where you plucked that £30m figure from).

He's right though. The only world class defender is Sagna.
I really like Vermaelen but his injury record is worse than Agger's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom