• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wilbury, PrematureQuiche and Arnie, give us your team name so I can add you to the list

edit: How much of a slice will paypal get as the money goes into my account soon, and out at the end of the season?

It is PrematureQuiche FC and if people pay as a Personal Payment Owed PayPal doesn't take a cut. That was how it was this week when I was gifting people GTA IV

Arnie

Wilbury, PrematureQuiche and Arnie, give us your team name so I can add you to the list

edit: How much of a slice will paypal get as the money goes into my account soon, and out at the end of the season?
LSD Eindhoven

Just joined that league Wilbury quoted. My team's looking ominously good.
So we gonna have a second FPL league? One for the money? Otherwise, there are lots of people in the league who probably don't want to put up cash.
To be honest I'll just stick to the paid one, because I think the decreased numbers, plus the familiar faces from this thread will make it more enjoyable than a big free for all between every single person on GAF.

I barely took any notice of last years league because it was rammed with people I didn't know.

Sky Sports saying we're swapping Adam for Dempsey. Not a bad deal.
Oh god, that's a fantastic outcome for both parties. Regardless of what some here believe, Adam's got real quality and he'll do a great job for a team like Fulham. I'd just personally rather have Allen.

Wilbur

Banned

I believe it's Modricbury FC
plz don't ban, he asked question

Mastadon

Banned
If you're interested in the paid league (think I'll make a new one for ease of use,) quote this and add your name to the list.

Directions:
-Add your name to the list
-I PM you my paypal details and email adress
-Add £5 to my paypal account if we can't figure out a better way to do it*
-I PM you the code for the league

Contingency:
-At least 10 people needed
-PM me your email adress if you are wary of being banned from Gaf, so we can communicate post-ban
-If you are perma-banned before the end of the season, your money will be refunded, but you cannot win any of the prize
-If I am banned, I leave my share of the money in the pot and am disqualified from the contest

* If you need any proof of my identity or contact details just to be sure I don't run off with the money, feel free to ask and I'll do it within reason.

Any suggestions for improving the plan? A google document perhaps?

I'm down, although I won't be able to pay til next week either. Team name is Dyslexia Untied.

Arnie

I'm scared that Spurs are going to go for Joe Allen. Something in my gut tells me it'll happen when Modric goes.

I'm down, although I won't be able to pay til next week either. Team name is Dyslexia Untied.
That's my favourite name, was trying to remember it whilst creating my team. So funny.

Hmm. Paid league. Interesting.

United training in Shanghai at the moment, though it's well past midnight. Went straight to the training session after the flight landed.

Arnie

Apparently Levy is in the US with his sick wife so the Modric saga may be a while.
Just read that, I bet this whole saga's so tiring for Spurs fans, two seasons in a row. Modric is a dick for not travelling; it genuinely baffles me why teams don't file legal action against their players who do this, it's criminal. He's a Spurs player, he's acting like he's already signed for Madrid.

So far:

Username///Team Name

The_Hitcher89///Stark FC
Wilbury///JTbury United
PrematureQuiche///PrematureQuiche FC
Arnie///LSD Eindhoven
Mastadon///Dyslexia Untied
elseanio///
Yurt*///
Vivalaraza*///
kharma45*///

Halfway there guys, everybody's welcome :)

Come on Viz. You know you want to :p

Is everyone happy with it being £5 each, or would you prefer £10?

Mastadon

Banned
I believe it's JTbury FC
plz don't ban, he asked question

Yeah I'd edit that out :p

I hope Spurs aren't in for Allen, although I heard that the fact that there's been an approach from another club is what had allowed us to come in for him, so could be. It looks like VdV is staying though, so they have tonnes of options in central midfield now. I think their priority will be a striker.

sneaky77

So I just noticed Roma is about to play at Wriggley Field and then tonight PSG - Chelsea on Yankee stadium.. what a horrible idea of putting a soccer field on a baseball field.. there's no way those dimensions are anywhere right

Arnie

Yeah I'd edit that out :p

I hope Spurs aren't in for Allen, although I heard that the fact that there's been an approach from another club is what had allowed us to come in for him, so could be. It looks like VdV is staying though, so they have tonnes of options in central midfield now. I think their priority will be a striker.

To clarify there hasn't been a single sniff of evidence or rumour to suggest that they have any interest in him whatsoever, I'm pulling this completely out of my ass. I was just led in bed last night thinking about the transfer, and it struck me as more than fitting in this current window if Spurs jumped in and tried to sign him too, especially as they're currently in the process of selling their technical, playmaking midfielder.

So I just noticed Roma is about to play at Wriggley Field and then tonight PSG - Chelsea on Yankee stadium.. what a horrible idea of putting a soccer field on a baseball field.. there's no way those dimensions are anywhere right
We play Roma at Fenway Park on Wednesday.

Laudrup was on SSN earlier speaking quite openly about the possibility that Allen will be sold.

Which reminds me...Laudrup! Gonna be awesome to have him in the PL. Swansea have signed some really good players this summer, if Laudrup can get them going they'll do well again.

Wilbur

Banned
Laudrup was on SSN earlier speaking quite openly about the possibility that Allen will be sold.

Which reminds me...Laudrup! Gonna be awesome to have him in the PL. Swansea have signed some really good players this summer, if Laudrup can get them going they'll do well again.

I hope they do well.

I really want Park and Fabio to do well so I don't know whether to pull for QPR this year. If it wasn't for them I'd want them to come bottom (realistically, you all know Liverpool City and Chelsea are my favourites
to go down <3
)

I think it'll be WBA, Norwich and Wigan, but I'd like WBA, Stoke and West Ham.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'll probably join you guys later, I'm too lazy to change my team on weekly basis though. :/

Merdazzurri, Jucu*tus or FC C*nte.

Im interested to see this. I was at a Yankee game this summer and they were advertising the game, I can't quite understand how the soccer pitch will fit.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Joe Allen is shit tbh.

dholM.jpg

Mastadon

Banned
I randomly applied to do a masters degree in social work a while back, and found out last month that I was accepted. Debating whether or not I want a career change at the age of 25!

I randomly applied to do a masters degree in social work a while back, and found out last month that I was accepted. Debating whether or not I want a career change at the age of 25!
What type of masters?

I'm currently considering applying for a masters too...but not sure if want.

Feorax

If you really like the idea of it, or really aren't happy where you are, better to do it now than maybe 10 years down the line when you will possibly have all sorts of financial and personal commitments.

Arnie

What type of masters?

I'd say if it's something you're really interested in pursuing as a career, and as it's only a year (usually) you guys should go for it, finance permitting. Time changes people, and changes their aspirations, when I was 16 I was sure I wanted to write about games in a mature fashion for a living, after doing that for a year I'm not sure it's something that satisfies me as I once thought. I've subsequently become interested in advertising, specifically copywriting, and I'm looking into avenues to take that further. Perhaps it'll work out, perhaps it won't, but we're young and fairly intelligent, so we'll land on our feet.
Adam out > Dempsey and Allen in would be fantastic.

I will join the fiver/tenner league
Really would be an excellent deal for all concerned.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Was watching the Toluca vs Guadalajara game. We lost 2-1, but the second half was actually formidable? We looked much more dangerous than the locals... only problem is that we didn't net it. :(

I'm optimistic despite the loss. We are facing the champions, Santos, next Saturday though... D:

Arnie

I've joined that Fantasy League.

My teams a bit shite tbh.

When I finished mine I sat back and smiled. Seems like perfection from where I'm positioned.

I'll most likely come last though, I'm spectacularly good at using my imagination to fool myself into shit decisions, Comolli-esque.

Have you guys gone for an even spread in your teams, or a few players that cost 10+ and a load who cost 4.5-?

I think we should limit it to 20 players in the paid league. We have 9 so far, including the maybes, so if you have any interest, put your name down. If we get past 20, put your name down anyway, as a back-up list (assuming we settle on 20 being the limit) :)

Mastadon

Banned
What type of masters?

It's a two year post grad course. What are you looking at applying for?

If you really like the idea of it, or really aren't happy where you are, better to do it now than maybe 10 years down the line when you will possibly have all sorts of financial and personal commitments.

Yeah, my current degree has some decent earning potential, but I find it all relatively mind numbing.

I'd say if it's something you're really interested in pursuing as a career, and as it's only a year (usually) you guys should go for it, finance permitting. Time changes people, and changes their aspirations, when I was 16 I was sure I wanted to write about games in a mature fashion for a living, after doing that for a year I'm not sure it's something that satisfies me as I once thought. I've subsequently become interested in advertising, specifically copywriting, and I'm looking into avenues to take that further. Perhaps it'll work out, perhaps it won't, but we're young and fairly intelligent, so we'll land on our feet.

I've read some of your articles, and you're clearly a talented writer. I'm sure you'll go far in whatever you decide to do.

Arnie

I've read some of your articles, and you're clearly a talented writer. I'm sure you'll go far in whatever you decide to do.
Thanks. I'm going to spend this next year nailing down an idea of what exactly I want to pursue when I graduate, and at the moment I'm leaning towards copywriting, as I say. If all else fails I'll write a book, or something. A girl off my course has just had her novel published, it's available on Amazon. It's a nice motivator seeing other people do it.

Does anyone remember when Salazar had a really funky looking Cleverley avatar, where the background was cut out, it was chopped down to his chest, and the colours were really vivid? Does anyone know how to replicate that with this Suso photo? I'm thinking of going for a temporary changeup, perhaps for pre-season.

Arnie

Suso is the most exciting prospect out of the Liverpool academy since Gerrard.
I'd agree.

Unfortunately, I don't expect him to stay at the club for half as long. I think he'll give us a good few years then move to one of the Spanish giants, that's if his career continues on a linear trajectory and he doesn't do, say, a Wilshere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom