• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mark Wahlberg just can't carry a movie.

He's a very mediocre actor.

I agree. Great in The Departed though, but he's just a terribly boring actor.

Really? I think it's awesome. One of my favorites of the past few years. Bale and Wahlberg have great chemistry together, and the rest of the cast is just a pleasure to watch. Anything that came out of Amy Adam's mouth was pure gold. And the soundtrack is great.

The Fighter > underrated
Warrior > overrated

Eh, it just felt set-up for Bale to dominate the film. And I haven't seen Warrior yet.

Zabojnik

His name alone is worth 50 million.

DESTRO

Don't know about 50 million, but I can guarantee you he's going to be worth at least 20M€ after the upcoming season. Even mediocre strikers score about 15-20 goals with Zeman and Destro will at the very least match the latter number.

Off-topic: I'm reading Stephen King's The Stand. I'm really liking it so far. Those of you who've read it or seen the movie (I think there was a movie or maybe a TV-series?), without spoilering anything else:
does it go supernatural at any point or is it all just about the virus / plague? A 'yes' or 'no' will suffice, thank you. :p I ask because 1) I'm curious 2) it's a Stephen King novel, so ... 3) I just read a chapter about the grinning man, who as I understand it is some sort of manevolent entity, which would indicate a supernatural element. Thanks!

Meier

The Fighter > underrated
Warrior > overrated

I think The Fighter was excellent and I loved Warrior even if it was a bit unrealistic. Something about Joel Edgerton as an "action star" doesn't sit all that well with me. He doesn't have it IMO. Hardy was fucking amazing in it though.

Wahlberg was fantastic in The Departed as well FWIW. He's definitely a hit or miss kinda guy like Nic Cage.

Fry

One hit wonder.

Nope, because I'm pretty sure The Fighter is great and he does a great job in it. He's also very funny in The Other Guys.

As long as the project is good, his acting will be good. I'll agree that he can be lackluster in some of his leading roles, but mostly because the movie is a pile of shit. (Max Payne, The Happening).

I didn't enjoy The Wrestler or Warrior. I guess I'm not a fan of these kind of movies. But TF... blew my mind. It's an hell of a fun ride.

Wahlberg was fantastic in The Departed as well FWIW. He's definitely a hit or miss kinda guy like Nic Cage.

He really was, and every one of his lines were pure gold.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Preziosi is saying he's positive Destro will find an agreement with Roma after all. Just a matter of time. Fuck. Fudge. :( Do something, Marotta. I don't want Pazzini. I want Destro.

http://shrani.si/f/3j/DO/4ej9LeKZ/destro.gif[img][/QUOTE]

Destro is clearly special, a very exciting prospect! But If we get him we still need an RVP I think :( Might as well leave him with Zeman, until he inevitably gets sacked and his (likely overrated at that point) players start jumping ship elsewhere :p

I hope we aren't selling Matri to get Pazzini? That's almost like for like, pointless and...disrespectful?

[quote="Zabojnik, post: 40176037"]
Off-topic: I'm reading Stephen King's The Stand. I'm really liking it so far. Those of you who've read it or seen the movie (I think there was a movie or maybe a TV-series?), without spoilering anything else: [spoiler]does it go supernatural at any point or is it all just about the virus / plague? A 'yes' or 'no' will suffice, thank you. :P I ask because 1) I'm curious 2) it's a Stephen King novel, so ... 3) I just read a chapter about the grinning man, who as I understand it is some sort of manevolent entity, which would indicate a supernatural element. Thanks![/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Didn't read that book but [spoiler]every single Stephen King movie I've seen had a supernatural element in it.[/spoiler] It pisses me off sometimes, he ruins a perfectly good story just for the hell of it. So expect [spoiler]the virus came from another dimension and/or it wasn't a virus, it was tiny possessed fairies.[/spoiler]

Palermo has announced the acquisition of Uruguayan midfielder Egidio Arevalo Rios.

iPftiwT1tT7fF.gif

Off-topic: I'm reading Stephen King's The Stand. I'm really liking it so far. Those of you who've read it or seen the movie (I think there was a movie or maybe a TV-series?), without spoilering anything else:
does it go supernatural at any point or is it all just about the virus / plague? A 'yes' or 'no' will suffice, thank you. :p I ask because 1) I'm curious 2) it's a Stephen King novel, so ... 3) I just read a chapter about the grinning man, who as I understand it is some sort of manevolent entity, which would indicate a supernatural element. Thanks!

I´ve seen the mini-series a long time ago and I remember that there was a supernatural element to it.

Charles

Yeah the stand is kinda supernatural in the latter part.

Re: Destro, his agents have postponed their meeting with Roma (which was scheduled for today), so that might be good news for Juve.

jtb

Banned
Love the Fighter. Shame David O. Russel is something of a psychopath, he's a good director. Walberg and Bale were both fantastic in it; needed to have a strong straight man type like Walberg for Bale's character to work. Amy Adams, Melissa Leo were both great too.

Agree about Cazorla; class, proven talent, and the fee rumored seems to be quite low (12-15ish m). Dunno what the deal with Malaga is, he was supped to be their statement of intent signing and led them to a CL place. You'd think with that extra cash flow, they'd be able to keep a hold of him (not that I'm complaining!). Hope the addition of yet another winger would mean that Theo, Podolski, or one of our many faux-wide players will be playing centrally next season.

Zabojnik

Destro is clearly special, a very exciting prospect! But If we get him we still need an RVP I think :( Might as well leave him with Zeman, until he inevitably gets sacked and his (likely overrated at that point) players start jumping ship elsewhere :p

I hope we aren't selling Matri to get Pazzini? That's almost like for like, pointless and...disrespectful?

Didn't read that book but
every single Stephen King movie I've seen had a supernatural element in it.
It pisses me off sometimes, he ruins a perfectly good story just for the hell of it. So expect
the virus came from another dimension and/or it wasn't a virus, it was tiny possessed fairies.

Yeah the stand is kinda supernatural in the latter part.

Re: Destro, his agents have postponed their meeting with Roma (which was scheduled for today), so that might be good news for Juve.

If we swap Matri for Pazzini I'm gonna fucking explode. It doesn't make ANY FUCKING SENSE. It would be another one of those operations you could see being useless from the very start, like Martinez, Motta or even Pazienza.

Don't think it means anything, Charles. I'm more or less convinced he's a goner at this point. It would take a PSG-Verratti kind of move from Marry at this point, which I don't think he's capable of.

OT: So I was right about The Stand going supernatural. Oh well, I wouldn't mind it, unless it trumps the otherwise really enjoyable story.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Andrea Poli (wanted by Fiorentina) to Juventus is almost official. According to someone who works for SKY on twitter.

Fiorentina have announced that Jovetic has not suffered any injury after limping off in training. All tests came out negative. AKA Our product ain't broke.

*connecting the dots*

Furiously unbuttoning trousers.

Zabojnik

Andrea Poli to Juventus is almost official (Someone who works for SKY on twitter)

Fiorentina have announced that Jovetic has not suffered any injury after limping off in training. All tests came out negative. AKA Our product ain't broke.

Furiously unbuttoning trousers.

C'mon guys, it's basically a done d...

Yeah, no. :|

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
So apparently Spurs had a deal for Oscar pretty much wrapped up before Chelsea came in and gazzumped us by offering Inter massively more money. Oh, how I loathe them and their owner.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Now you're on the receiving end!

Offering a better wage (that Liverpool could have matched) =/= offering a massively bigger transfer fee. I take the point, though.

Salvadora said:
What do you think of the rumours about Hulk to Spurs?

No thanks. Overrated and we couldn't afford him anyway. If we have £35m to spend on a striker then I'd rather we got Falcaoloooooooooooolnevergoingtohappen

WJD

Lucas murmerings getting louder and louder. Unsure whether or not to unzip due to the Sneijder/Hazard cases but I'm getting there.

Fry

So apparently Spurs had a deal for Oscar pretty much wrapped up before Chelsea came in and gazzumped us by offering Inter massively more money. Oh, how I loathe them and their owner.

Chelsea gets on my fucking nerves. They should just call themselves JT FC and we all know the meaning of it.

Meier

No thanks. Overrated and we couldn't afford him anyway. If we have £35m to spend on a striker then I'd rather we got Falcaoloooooooooooolnevergoingtohappen

I would definitely argue that Hulk is far from overrated. He is a proven, lethal finisher. Now you might say he's overpriced but that's not the same thing.

That being said, Falcao over him would be understandable although I don't think there's that much of a difference between them. Comes down to style and taste. We know Hulk operates well under AVB though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom