• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

Holy shit that was close.

When he shaves his head he looks ridiculous.

We all know who the hottest is guys, come on

I object

capello.jpg

GorillaJu

Rodgers told a post-match press conference: "I thought the scoreline was harsh, I've got to be honest.

"After the first couple of minutes of the game, we got good control and rhythm in our game. Up until they scored the first goal, it looked as though we were the team who were going to get it.

"I've no complaints about the first goal - it was a fantastic strike (by Gera). We defended the (initial) corner quite well with good height and distance on our clearance. Glen Johnson probably couldn't have done any more as he went to press the ball, but it was wonderful technique.

"We were virtually controlling most of the game in the first half, but then we found ourselves 1-0 down.

"I'm not one to go on about referees, but in the second half I thought the two (penalty) decisions - three if you include the sending off - were very, very harsh. I don't think either of the decisions were penalties. If you see them again on the replay, you'll see that they were very, very harsh.

"Obviously then with 10 men and chasing the game, it becomes difficult."

Liverpool went into the break trailing their hosts by Gera's goal, but Rodgers insists he still had belief his side could get something from the contest.

He added: "I still had confidence. I said to the players at half-time that we had controlled the first half and we had to keep our patience, keep moving the ball and normally when that happens the spaces open up and our quality will get us back into the game.

"Like I said, we conceded a penalty and then the sending off kills you, really. Especially for a new team that is coming together in terms of the structure and ideas.

"But I have to give big credit to the players. They ran to a standstill today, even though days like that hurt."

Lukaku's header effectively ended 10-man Liverpool's hopes of a comeback with 13 minutes remaining.

Reporters quizzed the manager whether he was disappointed with the way his side had defended for the goal.

He responded: "We were chasing the game and trying to get back into it, and so obviously that naturally leaves the spaces and things that little bit more open. Instead of sitting at 2-0, we were trying to get back into the game.

"West Brom played a counter-attacking game today, so you're always going to be vulnerable in that position (down to 10 men). But like I said, the players gave me everything today and I can't complain.

"It was a bad day at the office for us, but I thought we showed signs, particularly in the first half, that the players have coped very well with the ideas. In the second half when we went down to 10 men, it was difficult for us."

Asked whether Liverpool would appeal Agger's red card, Rodgers replied: "It's certainly something we'll look at, absolutely. It was very, very harsh I thought."

Rodgers handed Joe Allen his first appearance for the Reds at the Hawthorns, and admitted he was pleased with the display of the 22-year-old.

"I thought he was outstanding," he said. "For a boy to walk into a new team and perform like that, I thought he was superb. His body work, passing and ability to get on the ball was excellent."

Meanwhile, Rodgers confirmed Joe Cole sustained a recurrence of a recent hamstring problem.

The forward was introduced into the action as a second-half substitute, but was forced to limp off soon after.

Rodgers said: "It's strange because he's trained very, very well all pre-season. Then he started the Gomel game in the Europa League and had to come off with a similar thing.

"He got back, trained well and then went into the game today and the same thing has happened. It's something the medical staff will have to look at."

Really no surprise here in the comments. He's perhaps being a bit kind in suggesting we were more in control than we actually were, but we certainly looked decent up until that first goal.

Onward and upward, eh

Wilbur

Banned
xD

How are we doing with Fantasy Football GAF?

I have Sinclair - 6 points & Sneezy - 6 points.

My highlights so far.

I have 30 points so far. Michu 16, Riise 9, Cazorla 3, Bannan 1 and Bale 1. Still got Jelavic, Torres (twice), Yaya and Mariappa once more this week.

GorillaJu

xD

My highlights so far.

40 points so far. Picked the wrong keeper. Jussi is on the bench with 6 points, and I have 2 defenders (Cuellar and Williams) sitting on the bench with 6 points as well. Poop.

isGYGtwE1s3Fs.png

bud

it certainly wasn't the same old arsenal. it was nowhere near as fluid and fast-paced as they usually are at home against teams like sunderland. cazorla seemed to be the only intelligent player on the pitch.

Wilbur

Banned
it certainly wasn't the same old arsenal. it was nowhere near as fluid and fast-paced as they usually are at home against teams like sunderland. cazorla seemed to be the only intelligent player on the pitch.

Look forward to this most of the season (apart from Arteta).

Fintan

xD

My highlights so far.

Doing terribly so far! Dembele is my best with 3 points! Agger got me -3 points and I completely forgot to take Song out of my team! I still have a lot of players left to play, so hopefully things turn around.

I always do shit at FF, though.

GorillaJu

I can't decide if I go Kompany or Vidic for week 2, or replace Suarez. I think probably do Ivanovic -> Vidic since City will be away to Liverpool, and keep Suarez for the moment

Slizz

I have 15 points so far with Mata, Ashley Cole, Kompany, Aguero, Toure(yaya), and Rafael still to play. With Ba, Cabaye and Krul with another half.

Wilbur

Banned
I can't decide if I go Kompany or Vidic for week 2, or replace Suarez. I think probably do Ivanovic -> Vidic since City will be away to Liverpool, and keep Suarez for the moment

Ivanovic got his red card rescinded right? Chelsea have got some pretty easy games this week (hence Torres being my captain. Watch him fuck it up anyway).

GorillaJu

Ivanovic got his red card rescinded right? Chelsea have got some pretty easy games this week (hence Torres being my captain. Watch him fuck it up anyway).

Yes, he did, but I want one top class defender. None of the Chelsea defenders are nailed on every week. I want either Vidic, Kompany, Baines or Vermaelen. I think Vidic is the right choice.

dc89

I only have 5 players who play today and they include Walker and Jonas for Newcastle. The others are tomorrow including Torres and Mata who play twice this game week.

---

6D0wy.png

Learning from a Boss

uXgfl.png

Learning from a... character :p

bud

i've never really been a fan of arteta. his passing is unremarkable; he lacks creativity, and he's not a great defensive midfielder either when it comes to running players down and interceptions.

he's a decent footballer, but there's needs to be more creativity behind cazorla to get it rolling.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't know if it's just my stream but is Bale wearing make up?

No he hasn't dressed up for Halloween and put a monkey mask on

i've never really been a fan of arteta. his passing is unremarkable; he lacks creativity, and he's not a great defensive midfielder either when it comes to running players down and interceptions.

he's a decent footballer, but there's needs to be more creativity behind cazorla to get it rolling.

Not that type of player; dictates tempo. And is brilliant at it.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I have Vorm and Nolan. That's about it today.

And Bale if he can pull something out of his arse.

Still with many players left to play tomorrow and Monday though.

EDIT: Ohhhh Ba that was nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom