• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

Newcastle Utd and Fulham have both agreed a £4.5M fee with FC Twente for Douglas. It is now up to the Player.

Hope we get him.

Is this true? Hopefully we do get him.

In other news, Bassong has signed for Norwich. Worst decision of his life was leaving Newcastle. Career went to pot after that.

Ferguson said it himself: "I mean if we hold Pogba back, what’s going to happen? He’s going to leave." Rafael starting ahead of him was painful, especially when it became clear how composed he is on the big occasion in his away appearance against Atletico.

No doubt Raiola had questionable motives but we really should have played him in some of those games, considering the alternatives we used last season. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

Whoa United GAF. Gimme a low down on these Zouma rumours. He's a beast in FM.

Buuuuuut he's not a CM :/

I see 5m bandied about for him. I could see Fergie squeezing out the purchase if we've been scouting him for a while and don't want him to go elsewhere a la Jones.

Not sure Fergie is willing to spend big as would likely be necessary for a CM after this summer's spending. And given his prejudices against defensive-minded midfielders, I bet we pass on M'Vila (although I think his technical ability has been underrated in certain quarters). Best hope is that Sahin does a loan without a purchase option and we pick him up next year. /muppetfuel

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Conte: "There's agreement with Marotta. The top player mustn't only be considered as such because of their cost. Someone will arrive."

And thanks Viva
diClp.gif
<3

WJD

United-GAF, how are we going to solve the Rooney problem? He's been in average-to-dire form now for what seems like a long, long time and I haven't seen many signs of him being able to turn it around any time soon.

Even at times last season where, to his credit, he managed to score 30 goals, he looked completely out of form; stray passes, shocking touch, lethargic movement and what seems like a complete absence of pace. It might be down to him trying to play two positions at once; the all-out striker position he played so well from 09/10, and the number 10 playmaker position which helped us to a Champions League final in 10/11. It looks like he's indecisive as to where he wants to play and as such, can't get anywhere near the heights that he managed to reach in those respective seasons.

Is this where the RVP signing comes into it? Has Fergie has seen Rooney's flailing form and shoved an Oranje firework up his rectum to try and stoke some life back into him? I dunno, but for me, the Rooney problem is becoming as bad as the midfield problem - he's coming into his peak years and should really be performing on a much more consistent basis.

As such, forgetting lack of pre-season, I wouldn't mind seeing a team of:

------------------ RVP -----------------
Nani -------- Kagawa ------ Valencia
------- Cleverley -- Carrick ---------
Evra ---- Evans -- Vidic ---- Rafael
------------- De Gea -----------------

against Fulham.

Salazar

As such, forgetting lack of pre-season, I wouldn't mind seeing a formation of:

against Fulham.

I seem to remember SAF saying Evans wouldn't/might not be ready.

And I can't in good conscience start Nani after that garbage.

WJD

You're not going to bench your top scorer of last season, WJD.

Probably not, but he deserves it at the moment. He needs to know that he's no guaranteed a start every game (even though he probably is).

I seem to remember SAF saying Evans wouldn't/might not be ready.

And I can't in good conscience start Nani after that garbage.

Fuck sake Evans.

Eh, we're at home, I'd rather have him than Young or Kagawa out of position.

United-GAF, how are we going to solve the Rooney problem? He's been in average-to-dire form now for what seems like a long, long time and I haven't seen many signs of him being able to turn it around any time soon.

Even at times last season where, to his credit, he managed to score 30 goals, he looked completely out of form; stray passes, shocking touch, lethargic movement and what seems like a complete absence of pace. It might be down to him trying to play two positions at once; the all-out striker position he played so well from 09/10, and the number 10 playmaker position which helped us to a Champions League final in 10/11. It looks like he's indecisive as to where he wants to play and as such, can't get anywhere near the heights that he managed to reach in those respective seasons.

Is this where the RVP signing comes into it? Has Fergie has seen Rooney's flailing form and shoved an Oranje firework up his rectum to try and stoke some life back into him? I dunno, but for me, the Rooney problem is becoming as bad as the midfield problem - he's coming into his peak years and should really be performing on a much more consistent basis.

against Fulham.

Couldn't agree more. Rooney should definitely be dropped for at least the next match.

Wilbur

Banned

against Fulham.

Agreed agreed agreed, but never happening. Rooney, Carrick and Evra are the constants no matter what happens. Expect Shinji to be dropped and a 4-4-2 of Rooney and RVP.

Kyoufu

Also I wouldn't really blame Rooney too much.

Everton were the best team in the world last night. They were channeling Johan Cruyf Ajax. Nobody could have stopped them.

Next game Man United will bounce back and steamroll.

WJD

Also I wouldn't really blame Rooney too much.

Everton were the best team in the world last night. They were channeling Johan Cruyf Ajax. Nobody could have stopped them.

Next game Man United will bounce back and steamroll.

Not really, they just pumped long balls to an impeccable Fellaini and worked very, very hard. Those are pretty much United's biggest weaknesses.

3Sixty

Its amazing to go back and watch young Rooney, was always taking the ball on the half turn, running at defenders, everytime he touched the ball the crowd were on the edge of their seat.

Very different player these days.

GorillaJu

Looks like the Adam Johnson link with Liverpool is real, with Rodgers being told he'd be given the funds to buy him without having to sell. That'd bring our total spending to over £50m for summer 2012:

£8m to hire Rodgers and co.
£8m to fire Kenny and co.
£10m for Borini
£15m for Allen
£4m for Assaidi
£10m for Johnson

Yet you can bet that the fans will continue their "FSG are skint, won't give us money to spend, they just want to sell the club and make a quick buck" bullshit.

Adam is good, but I really don't like the idea of a player with an attitude problem.

I guess I trust Rodgers more than anyone to help with that - given that's pretty much exactly what he did for Sinclair, who was a bit of a diva before Rodgers taught him.

Speaking of attitude problems, I wonder how much Suarez gets put off by his irritation during games. Would be quite an achievement if Rodgers could get him to stop popping off at linesmen, eating people's shoulders, pulling people's hair, etc.

GorillaJu

Meh, last guy that chose Fulham over us was Ruiz and I'm glad he did!

Please strengthen our defence and strikeforce Pards :(

I take it you haven't really been watching Ruiz play for Fulham? He's mostly decent but brilliant at times - I rate him higher than Ben Arfa.

He's been a victim of circumstance over the last season and I'd expect him to have a much better time this year.

Kyoufu

Meh, last guy that chose Fulham over us was Ruiz and I'm glad he did!

Please strengthen our defence and strikeforce Pards :(

Dude we have Adam Campbell. He's going to be awesome.

Looks like the Adam Johnson link with Liverpool is real, with Rodgers being told he'd be given the funds to buy him without having to sell. That'd bring our total spending to over £50m for summer 2012:

We've spent 3 million.

3 million.

Wilbur

Banned
I take it you haven't really been watching Ruiz play for Fulham? He's mostly decent but brilliant at times - I rate him higher than Ben Arfa.

He's been a victim of circumstance over the last season and I'd expect him to have a much better time this year.

Cue Kyoufu telling you otherwise.

But Ruiz is class

Salvadora

£10m for Borini
£15m for Allen
£4m for Assaidi
£10m for Johnson

That's a decent amount you've spent so far.

+ Add to the fact Fergie will NEVER sub him for some strange reason.
Subbed him off against Wigan last season when we needed a goal.

Rooney is coasting. When Ronaldo left he really took on the mantle, you could see he had such drive and determination to be great and he was fantastic. Not just in scoring goals but playing great great football.

Since then he had some injuries and other problems, and hasn't come back with the some fire in his belly. Last season he wasn't bad, I think people over play that. He was just "good". 30 goals for the season was a great return and he did have some really good games, especially against the top clubs. But he never drove the team forwards enough like you need your star player too.

I think it's a combination of things. He is a bit complacent but also he just isn't the type of player who can on his own do magical things often enough. He needs other great players around him because as good as Rooney can be, his touch is so inconsistent that when he is bad he is awful and you just can't afford that at the top level.

We went on to sign Cisse, I'm not bothered that we missed Ruiz. He's had his moments but only two goals since he joined Fulham isn't what I'd want from an £11 striker. He's got potential though and he linked up well with Dempsey, I'm sure he'll have a better season this year!

LTWheels

£10m for Borini
£15m for Allen
£4m for Assaidi
£10m for Johnson

Yet you can bet that the fans will continue their "FSG are skint, won't give us money to spend, they just want to sell the club and make a quick buck" bullshit.

Adam is good, but I really don't like the idea of a player with an attitude problem.

I guess I trust Rodgers more than anyone to help with that - given that's pretty much exactly what he did for Sinclair, who was a bit of a diva before Rodgers taught him.

Speaking of attitude problems, I wonder how much Suarez gets put off by his irritation during games. Would be quite an achievement if Rodgers could get him to stop popping off at linesmen, eating people's shoulders, pulling people's hair, etc.

Hopefully with way more regular first team action, it will help curb any attitude of Johnson. Good player, but don't know if he's worth spending our last £10 on. We need a finisher more than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom