• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

His Sunderland goal was better. Although the Blackburn goal is just about the only time that a Carragher long ball has turned into a goal, so it'll go down in human history

I still have the gif here.

i2BU23szX2L7Q.gif

Finish a la FIFA.

Looking for it in my minus account, I found this:

ibygHXjisdpDWc.gif

One of the best from last season as well.

yella

Yes, that Ben Arfa's goal was better than Cisse's. As was Crouch's.

With all these goals I'm mentioning I feel like the player was in full control at all times. A sublime show of pure technique.

I feel like Cisse just sort of rolled the dice and hit it, it was in extra time anyway wasn't it?
To me, this is why Cisse's goal was better than any of the other ones mentioned. Crouch's goal was a replica of the goal Torres scored earlier; and Suarez's goal happens a fair amount too; hell, even Tim Howard did it, and he was at the other end of the pitch! :)lol just joking; it was a really nice goal). However, Cisse's goal was a rare moments of brilliance; I don't think we'll see a goal like that for a very long time.
I can't agree. Cisse was in absolute dynamite form, he'd already scored a screamer in that game anyway. He knew exactly what he was trying to do and he executed it literally perfectly. The ball just fell beautifully and I guess he just went for it. Yeah it isn't hard to put bend on the ball like that but to strike it like that and to beat Cech who was only a foot off his line at his far post is just incredible.

Crouch's is second for me. Suarez's is pretty damn impressive but at the same time I've seen many goals like it before, not denying the ability in it but at this point really long range goals where the keeper is far off his line just don't make me sit up and say wow like Crouch's and Cisse's did.

Cisse's is in my top 3 goals of all time.
This post sums up everything I wanted to say even more eloquently.

deGod

What about David beckhams goal when he scored from before the half way line? Best goal ever.... May be a wee bit biased tho

This post sums up everything I wanted to say even more eloquently.

For me it was just something I've never seen before, aside from being a Newcastle fan it was just a moment of genius. Had it been his second goal in 12 or something I would be sceptical of whether he meant it or not but that was his 13th goal in 11 games since signing. He'd scored some crazy goals already so his confidence must have been through the roof when he decided to try it.

The best goal was Cisse's or Crouch's in my opinion. They were both incredible strikes. I agree with Arnie when he says that Cisse's was a bit hit and hope. You could see Crouch was aiming back across Joe Hart, whereas I'm not really sure Cisse was aiming top right (probably top left). So I guess I'd have to go with Crouch. There really isn't much between them though.

But seeing as everyone is just posting goals from their own:

ibM7YbdnqJOU0.gif

And one from this JT:

ifXGicGsp0tyD.gif

K1LLER7

I personally prefer goals where a player would just run past 3-4 players of the opposition team and put the ball in the back of the net. Just like that Ben Arfa goal and this gem by Messi.

messi-goal-vs-real-madrid-o.gif

Just realised it's fucking 10 past 4. I've got to be up to get to Leeds festival tomorrow so I guess I'll be gone for a few days.

Chelsea away at the weekend, how about a repeat Mr Cisse :D

Look after Kyoufu for me

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The problem with this fucking manager is that he does not understand we don't have the players to play a fucking 4-3-3. Moving Fabián out of the enganche position simply eliminates our best (only at times) attacking threat.
I'm not even going to comment about the guatemalteco goalkeeper. Seriously.
42 years old.

:(

Jimrpg

Everton fan signing in (a bit late)! Woohoo! I'm not surprised by that performance... picking up right where they left off for a change.

To get the best out of Kagawa, the team must believe in him. That's what Dortmund was good at. They committed in every attack, the back line would often make a long pass to Kagawa in the middle where he could thread gems to either Lewandowski up front or to the wide players like Kuba/Goetze or Schmelzer/Piszczek who would absolutely commit and bomb forward.

There was an instance in the Barca friendly where Kagawa made a monstrous dribble to set up a counter but the other players were just looking at him waiting to see what he would do. Once they get more used to his style of play and believe that he can create those chances, that's when United will begin to be a major offensive force.

As a dortmund fan as well... i thought shinji did well all things considered... but i think arsenal would have been a better suit for shinji cause it seems Man U like to play out wide more and shinji likes to counter, play through the middle and thread balls to the players you mentioned. On MOnday night - it was shinji against two defensive midfielders AND two central defenders who didn't give him an inch... looking forward to more shinji in the prem though.

Soi-Fong

Arsenal's mentality of being content with CL football hardly fits Shinji's aims. Going to Arsenal would have been a step DOWN if he wanted trophies.

rodvik

Everton fan signing in (a bit late)! Woohoo! I'm not surprised by that performance... picking up right where they left off for a change.

As a dortmund fan as well... i thought shinji did well all things considered... but i think arsenal would have been a better suit for shinji cause it seems Man U like to play out wide more and shinji likes to counter, play through the middle and thread balls to the players you mentioned. On MOnday night - it was shinji against two defensive midfielders AND two central defenders who didn't give him an inch... looking forward to more shinji in the prem though.

Welcome! Grats on beating ManU! Sorry about your upcoming loss on Saturday!

:)

ATF487

Suarez's was better than Cisse's. And I really do mean that, I'm not saying it as some 'arf 'arf Liverpool hat perspective.

Cisse just lashed at that with the outside of his boot, a skill I've never found particularly difficult. At a wholly amateur level I've always been pretty proficient at hitting the ball with the outside of my boot, I've never honestly chipped a keeper from just passed the half way line.

I've done this!!!111

Suarez's goal was intelligent and Xabi-esque but Cisse had no right to score from there. It's not all skill like you said, but it was a ridiculous attempt and a great spectacle.

Those Torres gifs make me sad. He scored a few great goals during his last half season too, it seemed like his skill just dropped off...

edit: it's funny reading what everyone likes in a goal, though; the Maradona like sprints don't do as much for me, partly because I could never do them but also because I've always loved a strike from distance

neoanarch

Michel, Esparza, Reynoso, De Luna, Ponce, Araujo, Fabián, Luis Pérez, Báez, Fierro y Márquez Lugo.

The only starter missing is Chatón in the midfield. We are truly awful. My God.

Still don't understand why Guadalajara sold of Magallon, Ladesma, Solis and only brought in Perez. You're suppose to loan out the kids. I can't believe america of all clubs is doing a better job with the cantera.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Still don't understand why Guadalajara sold of Magallon, Ladesma, Solis and only brought in Perez. You're suppose to loan out the kids. I can't believe america of all clubs is doing a better job with the cantera.
Debatable. It's not like América isn't clogging the first team with purchases every season while letting the kids rot in Necaxa.

Guadalajara's youth system isn't the problem here.

I have this memory that Torres was still scoring 'special' goals for Liverpool right up until he joined Chelsea. Laziness prevents me from vindicating myself.

Goal-wise, I'd put Cisse's and Suarez' strikes at the same level. But were perfect combinations of skill and opportunism.

Dowd is just so shit. Agger's apparent 'push' doesn't even affect Long's upper body positioning at all - and Long slides to the ground as if his legs have been clipped.

Red card for last man back needs to go. Award the penalty, keep the game competitive.

Mumei

Xelajú had nothing. We lost versus nothing.

Chivas losing to Xelajú is akin to Real Madrid losing to Alcorcón.

I'm going to assume this means "One of the best teams in a particular league losing to one of the worst" and pretend I understand.

I actually thought Celtc's second half performance was the best I've seen in years. Up there with the Strachan team 4 years ago when we almost reached the CL quarter finals 2 years in a row. (Albeit this was Helsingborg) Fraser Forster in particular was heroic - reminded me of the clean sheet David Marshall grabbed against Barcelona.

Have my eyes just adjusted to watching this kind of football, so only I see this as a winning performance, or has Mumei been ridiculously spoiled by watching El Classicos exclusively or something? :lol

Edit: I'm going to name this effect Chelsea Syndrome.

I have only seen one El Classico (8-17-2011) in full. I just finished watching the second half, actually. And I only saw the first half of Celtic, and it seemed like a mess to me but, hey, what do I know? I enjoyed Gladbach vs Kiev, and I finished that. I'll finish Celtic on Wednesday and watch Barcelona vs Real Sociedad as well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm going to assume this means "One of the best teams in a particular league losing to one of the worst" and pretend I understand.
Let's just say Mexican football is several magnitudes richer in both player quality and infrastructure than Guatemala's football. And by that I mean at least twenty times.

elsk

Banned
Yup, going to a club that lost the league on goal difference is surely a stepdown. /sarcasm

At least, it's better than Bayern getting completely owned by Dortmund.

I'm not talking about titles, but the current situation of the club (squad, finances, coaching, etc).

Bayern won against Dortmund a few days ago.

Yup, going to a club that lost the league on goal difference is surely a stepdown. /sarcasm

At least, it's better than Bayern getting completely owned by Dortmund.

It is if he could have gone to City, right? Going to the champions is a step up from United if we're looking at it that way.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm not talking about titles, but the current situation of the club (squad, finances, coaching, etc).

Bayern won against Dortmund a few days ago.
elsk how you feel about Marco Fabián hypothetically going to Bayern? Latest rumour says he's being seduced by an important team in Germany.

I hope it's Dortmund.

elsk

Banned
elsk how you feel about Marco Fabián going to Bayern? Latest rumour says he's being seduced an important team in Germany.

I hope it's Dortmund.

Fuck you.

You read the rumor of Magath (Wolfsburg) being interested in Oribe Peralta?
On the Marco Fabián topic, I've been a fan since the pre-Olympic tournament... he's a great #10. It's kind of shitty the team is going in the wrong direction, as you said they should build the team around him. I think he could join any medium-table side in Germany and win the starter spot.

edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Bremen is the "important team" (haha), they were also interested in Mario Martínez (our #10 at the Olympics) but he was already signed by a MLS side before the competition so they couldn't get him.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
You read the rumor of Magath (Wolfsburg) being interested in Oribe Peralta?
Santos is not gonna sell anyone for 3 million euros, especially with the kind of financial backing they get from Cervecería Modelo. :lol
On the Marco Fabián topic, I've been a fan since the pre-Olympic tournament... he's a great #10. It's kind of shitty the team is going in the wrong direction, as you said they should build the team around him. I think he could join any medium-table side in Germany and win the starter spot.
Worst idea ever. He's a bit of a choker with Chivas in important games, like today when he missed two sitters. He's quality with the national team makes me wonder if he has a twin that he sends to play for his club.

Seriously serious, dude is leaving sooner rather than later. There's just not enough time to reap the rewards, plus what this team lacks more than anything is cohesion rather than individual skill.
edit: I wouldn't be surprised if Bremen is the "important team" (haha), they were also interested in Mario Martínez (our #10 at the Olympics) but he was already signed by a MLS side before the competition so they couldn't get him.
I'd be okay with this. Mexico doesn't need another Chicharito/Giovani eating bench, particularly when this player is the most skilled we've had since Cuauhtémoc Blanco.

G17

Banned Paper are saying we have a buyout clause of 14 million for Nuri Sahin and that a deal has been reached. Exciting news but then again should be taken with a grain of salt.

Lightning

Banned
Banned Paper are saying we have a buyout clause of 14 million for Nuri Sahin and that a deal has been reach. Exciting news but then again should be taken with a grain of salt.
I'll prefer to wait for confirmation before being overjoyed. They are banned for a reason.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hnnnnnnnnngggg.
Didn't see much of him at the olympics but from what your saying he could be a replacement for Fletcher. Exactly what our midfield needs so hopefully we get him.
I think he's a great midfielder, obviously the price was hugely inflated thanks to the Olympics and Toulon Tournament :p
Music to my ears, if true.

Please don't be a flash in the pan
At least he can take a kick to the face like a muthafukka:
I can't find any good videos showcasing his individual skill, sadly. He's less of a destroyer than the position might imply, and his passing is just silkily smooth. We all have great hopes on the guy, though to be fair he's out of service at the moment due to an problem in the meniscus. He apparently played the Olympic final against Brazil while injured and just didn't give two shits.

elsk

Banned
México, Costa Rica and Honduras should do a "Team GB" shit and compete in a tournament as Mexican Empire.

500px-Coat_of_Arms_of_the_First_Mexican_Empire.svg.png

Who's going to defeat dat Imperial Coat of arms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom