• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Well do you agree or not?

He's allowed an opinion.

Sure, but do you generally trust the opinions of babbling morons?

"Big" is loosely defined. If we're talking amount of fans, then the two biggest clubs are United and Liverpool. If we're talking "big" in terms of historical significance, current success, overall revenue, quality of players, and amount of fans, then Arsenal are a big club without question. To say otherwise is... well, it's something only Robbie Savage or internet trolls would say.

Empty

arsenal don't stop being a big club solely due to transfer dealings out in the same way that psg and city don't suddenly become big clubs just because of their transfer dealings in.

Well do you agree or not?

He's allowed an opinion.
All comes down to what defines "big" or "huge" or whatever word you use.

Arenal's history is fantastic. If you compare that aspect of the club to say, City (not trollin', they're a good example here)...Arsenal are well ahead. They've been a club which has operated at the top level in alot of aspects for years and years. They have worldwide appeal, a top quality stadium, amazing facilities etc.

In that sense, they will always be a "big" club and it would take a long period of stagnation, probably even going backwards, to change that.

But if you're talking about competitively...obv. they have fallen off. The mentality of a club also comes into it IMO. I think part of being an elite club is to retain your best players, to bring the best players in...it's all part of having the best of everything. Maybe there are some question marks there regarding Arsenal.

Kyoufu

I consider Newcastle a big club so I can't really agree with Robbie Savage regarding Arsenal.

My definition of "big" is history and fan support though, not sheer financial muscle/trophies.

arsenal don't stop being a big club solely due to transfer dealings out in the same way that psg and city don't suddenly become big clubs just because of their transfer dealings in.

Yep pretty much this.

Stubo

He can hardly be less fit than some of their most prized players.

He said "no longer a huge club" on twitter. Big, huge: terminology matters in complex and crucial investigations like these.
Something something MASSIVE club :p

Arsenal will be fine, but they'd definitely benefit from keeping good players alongside making these signings so I can understand the discontent.

Kyoufu

Savage's main contribution to the stock of human pleasure is the way he sniggers in the background at callers on 606.

I don't know what's worse. Pundits who don't know what the F they're talking about or football fans who don't know what the F they're talking about.

That Liverpool fan who was having a go at Robbie Savage made me facepalm.

Just did the Minibus mission. Hilarious.

I have a hard time seeing it beating the best vehicle mission this gen.

saintsrowthethird_dx1oer8a.jpg

Most of the clubs in the top flight are 'big' clubs.
No.

Clubs like Reading, Swansea, Stoke...just off the top of my head, are not "big" clubs under any definition.

No disrespect to them, to achieve what they achieved by getting to the PL and in the case of the first two staying there, is amazing. But they're not "big" clubs just because they managed to get promoted.

Edit - My bad, you said most. I guess you are right in that sense.

Big is a rubbish term to describe footy clubs because it cold be easily argued Wigan and Reading are big clubs, such is there exposure on the world stage.

'World class' is a more accurate description because to me it denotes the ability to mix it with the top clubs in the world. City, United, Chelsea, and to a lesser extent Arsenal all fit into this category at the current time, thanks to their squad of players. Spurs recently were but seem to be on the slide. The rest of the teams in the PL aren't world class in my opinion.

Arsenal is a big club and well set-up for the future. Its management, stadium, philosophy, support and history is all impressive. And I don't see the club dropping out of the top four like Liverpool any time soon. Can they win trophies? I think that depends largely on whether the board can lift its ambition, particularly when it comes to the wage structure.

sohois

Merely being the Premiership makes a club bigger than 99% of other clubs simply due to the immense global reach of the PL. Then when you add on CL the only foreign clubs that could actually compete with Arsenal in the transfer market are Madrid, Barca & Bayern Munich (and the stupid money clubs ofc). That to me makes them a big club.

Yen

Big is a rubbish term to describe footy clubs because it cold be easily argued Wigan and Reading are big clubs, such is there exposure on the world stage.

'World class' is a more accurate description because to me it denotes the ability to mix it with the top clubs in the world. City, United, Chelsea, and to a lesser extent Arsenal all fit into this category at the current time, thanks to their squad of players. Spurs recently were but seem to be on the slide. The rest of the teams in the PL aren't world class in my opinion.

This thread can't agree on the correct usage of "world class."

Am I the only one who feels like neither Liverpool, nor Arsenal/Spurs need Sahin as much as Utd.? :O

Dortmund have made a € 40m profit (not sure if before of after tax) in 11/12 according to an ad-hoc report while the revenue was € 215m.
*feels good, etc*

Christian Poulsen's clubs over the last 10 years:
jsQQ3.png

7 clubs in 7 different countries. Surely that's a record. A sad one maybe, but a record nonetheless.
It's only sad because he played for Schalkeh.

A football club is, or at least should be, defined by alot more than just what it wins though, and how good it's first team is - a football club offers alot more than just the first team squad and how it performs on a Saturday.

That "world class" or "big club" status is built up over years and years, not over a short term. If City lost the Sheikh...they'd be nowhere next season. They're currently a highly competitive club...I don't think they're "world class" or "big" for now...the clubs plans are definitely making sure they get there though.

Am I the only one who feels like neither Liverpool, nor Arsenal/Spurs need Sahin as much as Utd.? :O
Plz tell Frogson.

Arnie

If Sleeping Dogs is like Saints Row then chances are I won't enjoy it. Found the latter to be shallow wank, much preferred GTA IV, despite everyone's insistence that the game was 'boring'. And then RDR is in a class of it's own in terms of open world games this generation, so there's no way it's matching that.

Oh and I actually enjoyed LA Noire (the story devolved into utter bunkum at the end, though) because it was something completely new and fresh. The core of the game might've been odd, and lacking at times, but it was a unique experience and one that I was enjoying despite it's problems.

If Sleeping Dogs is like Saints Row then chances are I won't enjoy it. Found the latter to be shallow wank, much preferred GTA IV, despite everyone's insistence that the game was 'boring'. And then RDR is in a class of it's own in terms of open world games this generation, so there's no way it's matching that.

Oh and I actually enjoyed LA Noire (the story devolved into utter bunkum at the end, though) because it was something completely new and fresh. The core of the game might've been odd, and lacking at times, but it was a unique experience and one that I was enjoying despite it's problems.

It's not like Saints Row. It takes itself a lot more seriously.

Fintan

GTA IV is probably still the best open world game this generation. Saints Row: The Third is good too, though. I couldn't finish Red Dead Redemption, thought it got really boring once you crossed into Mexico.

bud23

GTA IV is probably still the best open world game this generation. Saints Row: The Third is good too, though. I couldn't finish Red Dead Redemption, thought it got really boring once you crossed into Mexico.

You should finish it,RDR is an absolute masterpiece.

Splatt

Ballad of Gay Tony is the best GTA IV game.

Also, for the people that enjoyed driving in GTA IV, you are going to be very dissapointed by Sleeping Dogs.

Sappy113

Picked up Sleeping Dogs yesterday, mostly due to all the GAF hype. Hadn't even registered on my radar before. Played a few hours last night. It's good.

Still need to play Max Payne 3.

Possible the most overhyped game of this generation. When you make cutscenes unskippable they better not be full of shitty characters and shitty story telling. The gameplay itself ranges from decent to kind of good, glad it bombed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom