• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Where did all that RVP and Song money go? What's Arsenal's current transfer season balance?

So far, for each of the past five or six seasons, we've had a negative net spend I think. Allegedly there's an actual transfer budget this year (which is why the business got done early), but still. Cazorla + Giroud + Podolski... probably a little bit extra from Song sale.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Until I see a credible source talking about it, I'm not willing to contemplate that Madrid asked for £5 million for a loan signing. I think it's more likely that Arsenal wanted a buyout clause, and Liverpool were happy to accept a loan deal and see where everyone stands in a years time.

You only need him for one season anyway. Win the league, and then Xabi Alonso comes back home.

Zabojnik

With Giroud, Podolski, and Cazorla, we've about broken even, I think. Maybe even a little bit ahead. Arsenal don't release their sales/purchase figures, but the reported numbers are about 35 million out, 39 in (pounds).

Huh. All the more reason to go for Sahin, then. Although I have to say that asking £5M for a 1-year loan actually does seem a bit preposterous.

Arnie

You only need him for one season anyway. Win the league, and then Xabi Alonso comes back home.

My emotions can't handle the thought of Xabi returning.

Never going to happen, just glad he spent as much time at the club as he did. One of my all time favourite players. So classy.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"Juventus will reportedly ask for Antonio Conte's ban to be suspended (ie he'll be able to be on the bench) until TNAS verdict 10th September." (we're allowed to do that)

Blood will be shed.

After the brilliant, uplifting start to the summer that we had transfer-wise, I would be absolutely crushed to end another transfer window with Wenger saying something like 'we are content, we have Rosicky and also Diaby who is like a new signing.' Absolutely crushed. The very definition of one step forward, two steps back.

I guess I should be used to it, but it was so promising a month ago. It's the hope. It's the hope I can't stand.

Clegg

United-Gaf it looks like we're close to signing Herrera.

@LopezOlvera (Reporter)
Andrés Fassi sports director of Pachuca says to me: "Right now Herrera is player of us but Manchester United is his future destination"

After my interview with Fassi I think Herrera will ve signed by #MUFC the next week but he be loaned back to Pachuca until December

Heard nothing from more reliable sources.

Its all bollocks. Theres no way we'd sign a CM.

Heard nothing from more reliable sources.

Its all bollocks. Theres no way we'd sign a CM.

But we signed Kagawa.

200px-Trollface.svg.png

Lakitu

st5fu
Well our match was really drab, but we got the result in the end.

Glad to hear we're leading the race to sign Sahin but I won't be convinced until I see him in our shirt. My main worry is not buying a proper finisher/goalscorer. A finisher with Suarez, Borini, Gerrard all chipping in with goals could be decent.

I also hope Sterling get's more game time, especially ahead of a mediocre player like Downing. Cole, Spearing, Adam need to be shifted as soon as possible aswell.

If we get Sahin, keep hold of Agger, sell those three and get a good finisher in, I will be very happy.

Arnie

Well our match was really drab, but we got the result in the end.

Glad to hear we're leading the race to sign Sahin but I won't be convinced until I see him in our shirt. My main worry is not buying a proper finisher/goalscorer. A finisher with Suarez, Borini, Gerrard all chipping in with goals could be decent.

I also hope Sterling get's more game time, especially ahead of a mediocre player like Downing. Cole, Spearing, Adam need to be shifted as soon as possible aswell.

If we get Sahin, keep hold of Agger, sell those three and get a good finisher in, I will be very happy.

I don't want us to sell Downing, I still feel he's got a lot to give, and he isn't as bad as people make out. Technically he's strong, and he can beat a man on the wing. Sure, he goes missing a lot, and sometimes he'll make a questionable decision, but his speed, ability to pass the ball under pressure, as well as his ability to cut in and shoot, or take a man on and cross is something we need at this moment in time.

I think he's used as a scape goat a lot of the time, and people will just qualify the team not playing well as 'Downing had a quiet one'.

#Believe

Until he moves to Liverpool.

We aren't interested in that Mexican guy, 100%.

Comolli was, but he's gone now. And our interest ended alongside that.

This Mexican reporter seems pretty convinced this is going to happen and if the quotes from the Pachuca man are genuine...they think it will too, though maybe they are just trying to shift him.

It's weird though. He has just turned 22 but has only played 27 games in the Mexican league. Everyone seems to think he was very impressive this summer...but I dunno, you'd just expect more game time. If we sign him, paying £9m seems like a lot...and then there really is no guarantee he will be ready for the PL. He is still in a very early stage of his career, regardless of what level.

I still want him obv. New players are cool and he is actually a CM, which would be nice.

Arnie

We haggle over wages once again and lose out on a great player with an option to buy. Only us.

I'm trying to inverse my surprised happiness, but I can't imagine how disappointing this must be for Arsenal fans. He was supposedly signed, sealed and delivered since the weekend. Then all of a sudden, out of nowhere he's about to have a medical at Melwood.

Lakitu

st5fu
I don't want us to sell Downing, I still feel he's got a lot to give, and he isn't as bad as people make out. Technically he's strong, and he can beat a man on the wing. Sure, he goes missing a lot, and sometimes he'll make a questionable decision, but his speed, ability to pass the ball under pressure, as well as his ability to cut in and shoot, or take a man on and cross is something we need at this moment in time.

I think he's used as a scape goat a lot of the time, and people will just qualify the team not playing well as 'Downing had a quiet one'.

Problem is, I see him attempt to beat his man only once (if not twice) a game and the rest of the game he does indeed go missing. I'm definitely willing to give him a chance though and see how he progresses under Rodgers but I'd rather he wasn't in that first XI.

This Mexican reporter seems pretty convinced this is going to happen and if the quotes from the Pachuca man are genuine...they think it will too, though maybe they are just trying to shift him.

It's weird though. He has just turned 22 but has only played 27 games in the Mexican league. Everyone seems to think he was very impressive this summer...but I dunno, you'd just expect more game time. If we sign him, paying £9m seems like a lot...and then there really is no guarantee he will be ready for the PL. He is still in a very early stage of his career, regardless of what level.

I still want him obv. New players are cool and he is actually a CM, which would be nice.

He handled what is basically the Brazil first team fairly well.

K1LLER7

Based on what I watched of him in the Olympics, he'll be ready to do a job for us. No matter his age or games, if he's good enough play him.

The loan back will most likely be due to his work permit issues.

kharma45

Based on what I watched of him in the Olympics, he'll be ready to do a job for us. No matter his age or games, if he's good enough play him.

Yeah that can't be stressed enough, hence why we lost Le Pog.

I'll confess ignorance about Herrera, is he basically a ball-winning CM?

PJX

Liverpool are confident of completing the loan signing of Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin on Friday after Arsenal ended their interest.

There will also be an option to buy the player for £14m at the end of the loan.

"Hopefully in the next 24 hours we'll get some confirmation," said Reds boss Brendan Rodgers. "It's quite far [along]. He's a very good footballer."

Sahin had been expected to join Arsenal, having privately expressed a preference for the north London club but Liverpool and Real have now agreed a deal.

Real boss Jose Mourinho had given the go ahead for Sahin to move to the Premier League after the playmaker struggled to make an impression at the Bernabeu since a move from Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund last summer.

Sahin signed a six-year deal with the La Liga outfit but made just 11 appearances for them last season as they won the Spanish league title.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19364375

Tony B reckons we don't have an option to buy, though. Either way, will be a fantastic signing if we do get him.

jXvUD.gif

Robbie Savage says Arsenal are no longer a big club. I agree with Mr Savage. On that note, anyone who listens to 606 will appreciate the man is a no-nonsense straight talker. Isn't afraid to rip apart callers. I often find him agreeable.

MPW

srsly why doesn't arsenal splash the cash?

without it you can't gonna contend or win the epl these days or in the near future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom