• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

elseanio

Holy fuck, we're actually getting Sahin??

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

jtb

Banned
Big/Small club is pretty pointless distinction. Just because Arsenal are a selling club vs. a buying club, doesn't mean that they can't be a winning club. Liverpool may be a big club, but they're a season or two off from being a winning club. Arsenal are, even after countless sales of our best players, pretty close to being a winning club, but every season, we take a couple more steps back...

srsly why doesn't arsenal splash the cash?

without it you can't gonna contend or win the epl these days or in the near future

There is no cash. This is the only rational explanation, and the likeliest in my honest opinion. The club need to manage their books. There is no point in risking your long-term for short-term gains. Having said that, I am an advocate of a buy out because not competing in itself is jeopardising our future

Big/Small club is pretty pointless distinction. Just because Arsenal are a selling club vs. a buying club, doesn't mean that they can't be a winning club. Liverpool may be a big club, but they're a season or two off from being a winning club. Arsenal are, even after countless sales of our best players, pretty close to being a winning club, but every season, we take a couple more steps back...
Liverpool are more of a winning club than Arsenal and not even Liverpool are a consistently winning club lately.

Arnie

Whilst I believe I know what you're getting at, Arsenal certainly have a better squad at this moment, one that's capable of securing Champions League qualification, that still doesn't stop me from retorting to that paragraph with:

untitled-46zm1ld.gif

Arnie

Congrats to Liverpool on getting Sahin, really didn't think you'd manage it! Quite the coup!

I've spent the last week thinking he was an Arsenal player, today came right out of the blue in an almost Assaidi-like fashion.

Watch him join Arsenal...

jtb

Banned
There is no cash. This is the only rational explanation, and the likeliest in my honest opinion. The club need to manage their books. There is no point in risking your long-term for short-term gains. Having said that, I am an advocate of a buy out because not competing in itself is jeopardising our future

do you really think there's no cash? What was the whole point of moving to the Emirates and charging the highest ticket prices in the PL if not to increase the amount of cash we have? If Sunderland can spend 20m on Johnson and Fletcher, is it really reasonable to assume there's no money? Especially when basic purchases, really basic, cheap purchases, could have easily turned this side into a considerably better one. Why is there only one senior right back? Why do we not have any senior DMs? etc. Is the debt that bad? Are the commercial deals really crippling us that badly? I'm inclined to believe the board is fine profiting off of player sales, pocketing a percentage.

This team doesn't even need silly money invested into it to significantly improve it, the spine is already here. I'm not asking for 10m to blow on an English striker, I'm saying... 7-8m could easily buy a good, reliable RB (see: Enrique situation last season). Net spend of 10-15m each season is not unreasonable, and hardly unsustainable, and would easily be enough to improve the squad instead of constantly going backwards. It's ridiculous.

3Sixty

SOUTHAMPTON boss Nigel Adkins aims to bolster his defensive options with the £2million capture of Japan skipper Maya Yoshida.

The centre-back, who plays for Japanese side VVV-Venlo, has also been attracting interest from Newcastle, Everton, Stoke and Fulham.

But Adkins has already tabled a bid and hopes to land Yoshida, 23, who starred in the London 2012 Olympics, next week.

VVV boss Hans Soentjens said: “The response from England has been one of high praise. I know a number of clubs from the Premier League are very interested.”

Yes please.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Yuki Otsu -> Celtic

Had a grand total of 3 starts for Borussia Mönchengladbach last season. :lol Scored against Spain in the Olympics though (at Hampden as well, clearly a sign).

Arnie

i want him to manage madrid after mourinho

He deserves a shot, his work at Dortmund has been immense. Really likeable chap, too. Madrid could probably do with someone like him after Mourinho who, whilst I love him in his own way and respect him as a manager, is a bit of a stain.

elsk

Banned
Yuki Otsu -> Celtic

Had a grand total of 3 starts for Borussia Mönchengladbach last season. :lol Scored against Spain in the Olympics though (at Hampden as well, clearly a sign).

You want it to happen or is happening? I think he's a great player.

Whilst I believe I know what you're getting at, Arsenal certainly have a better squad at this moment, one that's capable of securing Champions League qualification, that still doesn't stop me from retorting to that paragraph with:

untitled-46zm1ld.gif

I think I have won bigger trophies than that in my short and shitty football youth. LOOK AT THAT THING.

PaulLFC

Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe
100 - Joe Allen has now made 100 passes for Liverpool (in 112 minutes of play), completing 96 of them. Accurate

The lad is class.

K1LLER7

No. BBC's article is wrong, as far as I'm aware. I trust Tony Barrett from The Times over everyone, and he insists we don't.

I fucking love Klopp.
Hmm interesting. Frogson should see how he does this season and then buy him once the loan ends. Reunite the Dortmund Bros.

Yen

If were to restart my laptop while a game was being downloaded from Steam, the download will continue from where it left off when I return, right?

Arnie

Opta Sports ‏@OptaJoe
100 - Joe Allen has now made 100 passes for Liverpool (in 112 minutes of play), completing 96 of them. Accurate

The lad is class.
He really is.

Hmm interesting. Frogson should see how he does this season and then buy him once the loan ends. Reunite the Dortmund Bros.

For what it's worth I think we're chasing first refusal rights. So in the event that Real don't want Sahin, we'll be the first club on the scene. All signs point to Real wanting to keep him after the loan, though.

Regardless, for the time being, it looks like he's a Liverpool player.

I think I have won bigger trophies than that in my short and shitty football youth. LOOK AT THAT THING.

It's not how big it is that counts.

You're just sour because we thumped you on the way to winning it. That was a lovely night.

PaulLFC

lol @ Maddock in the Mirror. Rodgers' "We'll find out in the next 24 hours. He's a very good player." has somehow become:

"We expect the deal for Sahin to go through in the next 24 hours, which is great news for the club because we think he's a great talent who can contribute a lot to the team."

Yen

Thanks, Paul. Getting Windows update messages but I can only postpone them for 4 hours at a time. I need to keep FM12 downloading over night, and then another 8 hours on top of that. :/
Internet is working at a quarter of its usual speed.

Slizz

Sleeping fuckin' Dogs. Good lord this game is awesome. 6 hrs in already, had to consciously put it down so I didn't keep playing and burn-out. Loving it way more than GTA4, I actually feel involved in the story and so far none of the missions are boring and repetitive(the case I felt with GTA4 missions/side missions). Highly recommend it.

Pretty good second half to the El Clasico also.

Facism

the likely scenario is that arsenal wants a purchase option at the end of the loan but aren't getting it.

sahin was a long-term buy for mourinho, he expects him to be part of madrid's machinery in the coming years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom