• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

But we played Perch and Guthrie in the middle of the park in that game, two players with zero creativity and defensive quality (Perch is OK when he's playing in defence but as a CM? :lol :lol :lol :lol). That is a recipe for disaster against even Fleetwood Town.

Perch is quality. Probably wasn't that great back then but he has improved immensely.

Hate on him again and I'll slap you. :p

Come on ESPN

BhcuY.jpg

TrueBlue

You're being harsh Zabojnik. He's really done well for a different league and a new team. He is responsible for 80% of all of Chelsea's goals so far. It is too early to say if he is over or underrated IMO, but without him Chelsea would have looked half as good IMO. He was their game changer for two games in a row. Maybe he can do something today too.

This man knows what's up.

Kyoufu

Thankfully a loss here won't be the end of the world, but it'd send a nice message that we mean business if we win here. Especially after all the pundits saying we're going to end up below Aston Villa/Sunderland.

COME ONNNNNNN NEWCASTLE

Scum

The Modric replacement is the more important, in my opinion. As I've said all summer, he's so important to how you controlled games, and the tempo at which you were able to play, that inadequately replacing him will set you back as a team quite hugely. It's the Alonso analogy I'm sticking by, teams need a conductor on the field and without him they're lost. We didn't have a conductor once Alonso left, and Spurs really need to get one in. I don't see M'Vila as that sort of player.

I'll have Witsel @ Spurs if no one else is interested.

Some thoughts:

• Dembele MotM; although Kagawa might have been if he stayed on.
  • Speaking of which, taking Shinji off so early and only one goal up seemed odd. Not surprising that United didn't look as dangerous in the final third with him on the bench. (To be fair, he did play the entire game on Monday.)
  • Even RvP is being asked to play in the hole ahead of Rooney. Fergie's obviously noticed Rooney's poor touch in that area despite his impressive goal tally over the past few seasons. Seems like he wants to shift him right up forward again. Neither striker saw much of the ball, but at least both weren't dropping too deep like Rooney on Monday.
  • It's nice to have a mobile midfield again. Anderson and Cleverley leave things a bit too open, but we have much more fluency and variety going forward. It's a good start, but the team has to keep escalating the forward passes into central areas. You suspect that with Carrick in there, partnering one of those two, things could be a lot more solid.
  • Defensive issues of course. Games like this make you appreciate how incredible VDS was too, in terms of communication and command of his area. The discrepancy is noticeable with De Gea, particularly from set pieces and crosses. But he's got everything else in his locker as a goalkeeper and he should be able to grow into more confidence.
  • Say what you will, but mentality remains the chief concern. It's like United don't want to kill off games any more. Once again, we switch off in the second half with a comfortable lead and it almost screws us.
  • What a strike by RvP.

Soi-Fong

Thankfully a loss here won't be the end of the world, but it'd send a nice message that we mean business if we win here. Especially after all the pundits saying we're going to end up below Aston Villa/Sunderland.

COME ONNNNNNN NEWCASTLE

Rooting for you guys! :)

Copenhagen defender pushed in the back, just outside the box, touches the ball with his hand as he is pushed out of balance (still out of the box) and penalty. Hate this fucking JT ref, it's the guy who also consistently is harsher to black players.

That is actually true. Kinda awesome to see him just stand there. "Gash here, need help..."

Welp, if Rooney's gonna be out, it's going to be Kagawa taking the hole with RVP up top for at least our next two games.

I know. The reason for the #smh is that its the reaction I think most players have, and nobody rolls around on the floor when they have an injury like that

edit: Jesus, Charlie Nicholas. Gotta readjust my TV brightness whenever he's on

yella

2 out of the 3 top strikers last season both get injured and could be out for 4 weeks. We need to keep RVP fit :(

Buying RVP isn't looking too bad right now.

Seems so. I hope we get to see more of Chicarito during his absence; Kagawa might be able to get him those through balls quick enough so that he isn't constantly offside.

Fergie reckons a month for Rooney huh. That's not TOO bad because there is a 2 week international break coming up anyway.

But damn these injuries! That was the worst luck just there. We have some easier fixtures in the next 2/3 games I think but then quite a few tough ones. Rooney needs time on the pitch to get up to speed so it's a setback.

GorillaJu

Well Rooney, you stupid fuck, you got exactly what you wanted, you fucked up my Fantasy week and you fucked up next week too, since I had to take a hit to trade you for your stupid mercenary Dutch buddy with the grey pubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom