• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.
A1J82FJCYAALMb_.jpg:large

He'll be fine.

Aguilera spotted at the stadium?

We need to get a proper defender back. Carrick is too flimsy.

Can also use his cover in midfield.

Cleverley had one of his better games for us, thought he was very good today and positive on the ball.

It's just the same as last year though, everyone has a chance against us if they play well and pressure us in the right places.

Salazar

Thing is, it's good to have Shinji on to close it out like that. Because he's so motherfucking chill on the ball and can see safe passes.

Arnie

Blurgh, I knew West Brom would score. Taking Sandro off was a huge mistake, by the time AVB realised and put Jenas on West Brom had their tails up. Still, the goal came from a poorly defended set play where too many players were ball watching.

At least BAE scored.

I thought West Brom had the better of the chances, looked very solid, like I said in the week. You lacked cutting edge.

Clegg

We still look dodgy when we're put under any sustained pressure.

Things will improve a bit when we get our defenders back but we still need some sort of physical presence in midfield.

We also need to get RVP involved more. He scored a lovely goal and had some good touches but he was still wasn't in the game an awful lot.

Kagawa and Valencia had great games. Was impressed by Cleverley too.

GorillaJu

I thought West Brom had the better of the chances, looked very solid, like I said in the week. You lacked cutting edge.

West Brom is playing a way they have been familiar with for a full season and have an unchanged side.

Both Liverpool and Spurs have new managers with drastically different ideas from their old ones. It's not going to be an easy start getting the ball rolling for either team – facing WBA early on kind of sucks. A well drilled counter attacking team will tear apart a defensively shaky possession playing team.

Zabojnik

Fiorentina - Udinese, then switch to see Newcastle destroy Chelsea and the overrated Hazard ("Omg! OMG OMG!! HE TOUCHED THE BALL, WHAT A TALENT!!!") and then Juve - Parma. Godly afternoon.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Fully agreed, but our only sharp striker is very small and we have no creativity from deep. Once we get a Modric replacement, Ade gets sharp and the players get fitter, I'm sure we will be OK. Second half we definitely gave away too many chances, West Brom didn't have one shot in the first 45. We ran out of puff after an hour and couldn't handle Lukaku.

Snakeyes

Not liking our chances this season after these two showings. Oh well, time for Hazard to make me regret United's inability to sign him again.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
this Newcastle Chelsea game has the makings of a real attackers dream, end to end stuff, cant wait

K1LLER7

Speaking about Wayne Rooney's injury after the boot of Fulham's Hugo Rodallega catches the Manchester United striker's thigh: "Where the muscle is I think the leg has popped open. It happens sometimes and there is a huge gash there. You can see right through to the bone and it doesn't look particularly nice."

GQman2121

Banned
Newcastle: Krul; Simpson, Coloccini (C), S. Taylor, Santon; Gutierrez, Anita, Cabaye, Ben Arfa; Ba Cisse

Chelsea: Cech (c); Ivan, Cahill, D Luiz, Cole; Mik, Meir; Mata, Hazard, Bert; Torres. - subs: Turn, Ess, Rom, Lamps, Ram, Oscar, Sturr

No JT and Frank on the bench. Hazard to take his own pk confirmed.

Fady K

Damn that looked bad for Rooney, I felt bad for him honestly. Impressive by Fulham, didn't think they would give United a scare at OT.

FUUUUUUUUUUCK I'M SO NERVOUS

We could get absolutely decimated here. :/

Let me ease your fears, not only did we not beat you at Stamford Bridge since 2007, we are also benching Ramirez and starting Meireles. No Lampard either. No Terry. We also struggled a bit against Wigan and Reading. You have nothing to worry about.

Fady K

Fiorentina - Udinese, then switch to see Newcastle destroy Chelsea and the overrated Hazard ("Omg! OMG OMG!! HE TOUCHED THE BALL, WHAT A TALENT!!!") and then Juve - Parma. Godly afternoon.

You're being harsh Zabojnik. He's really done well for a different league and a new team. He is responsible for 80% of all of Chelsea's goals so far. It is too early to say if he is over or underrated IMO, but without him Chelsea would have looked half as good IMO. He was their game changer for two games in a row. Maybe he can do something today too.

Sappy113

We still look dodgy when we're put under any sustained pressure.

Things will improve a bit when we get our defenders back but we still need some sort of physical presence in midfield.

Need a stabilizing presence, really, but it's just a problem carried over from last season, really. Kinda baffled why SAF hasn't adressed that yet, though. A lack of that physical presence can fuck a team up real good, even if the rest of the positions are inhabited by good to great players.

Salazar

What a shitty second half to have to deal with after a great first half. All the cohesiveness shown in the first half practically disappeared in the second. Also Giggs and Rooney were wasteful subs, IMO at least

The late first half pressure was good. A hungry fuck-off ballwinner type is essential. Preferably big, but just big enough not to get bullied would do.

Carbonox

I meant us as an attacking side. Last time we did that we got decimated by Tottenheim. Pardew hopefully doesn't get complacent and cocky here. :/

But we played Perch and Guthrie in the middle of the park in that game, two players with zero creativity and defensive quality (Perch is OK when he's playing in defence but as a CM? :lol :lol :lol :lol). That is a recipe for disaster against even Fleetwood Town.

Scum

Stayed up all night in an attempt to secure my char on GW2. Just got up a while ago and missed the afternoon fun. :-/

K1LLER7

Any ideas about how long he could be out for?

no news yet.

Thought RVP was okay today, he still needs time to gel with the team but if the team continues to create chances for him, he'll score. Great goal and think he and Kagawa could do well together. Prefer RVP as a lone striker ahead of Rooney, he seems better at leading the line on his own plus he linked up quite well with Kagawa.

Arnie

Fully agreed, but our only sharp striker is very small and we have no creativity from deep. Once we get a Modric replacement, Ade gets sharp and the players get fitter, I'm sure we will be OK. Second half we definitely gave away too many chances, West Brom didn't have one shot in the first 45. We ran out of puff after an hour and couldn't handle Lukaku.

The Modric replacement is the more important, in my opinion. As I've said all summer, he's so important to how you controlled games, and the tempo at which you were able to play, that inadequately replacing him will set you back as a team quite hugely. It's the Alonso analogy I'm sticking by, teams need a conductor on the field and without him they're lost. We didn't have a conductor once Alonso left, and Spurs really need to get one in. I don't see M'Vila as that sort of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom