• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach
My digging for Gastón Ramírez news may be bearing fruit at last. I certainly wouldn't rule out him moving to #SaintsFC.

Best saints source there is.

Hype?

Didn't he turn down Spurs as they didn't offer enough wages? I can't imagine Southampton would be able to offer more than Spurs.

Though I suppose there's a good chance the Spurs offer never happened and it was just twitter bullshit.

Might be a clause that will only be available if say Liverpool get CL football.

Whatever the terms of the clause between the clubs, if it exists at all, it only guarantees Liverpool the chance to negotiate a contract with Sahin. I don't see him signing permanently for Liverpool if there's no CL football on the horizon.

The hope for Rodgers is that Lucas-Allen-Sahin is the cornerstone of CL qualification, putting Liverpool in the frame to successfully acquire Sahin permanently and build for a title challenge in the future. I really rate that midfield. There's a chance this could actually be their season of resurgence.

GorillaJu

We'll see. I'd love for it to come off well and I think Rodgers is 100% serious about bringing us up as high and as quick as posible, but I'm keeping my expectations low.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Di Marizio : Juve will offer Bilbao 18 million + bonuses in the coming days.

:/

Wenger: "We are not interested in Llorente"

Which means he is. Faster, Marotta.

Caught a snippet of Rodgers' presser on SSN and he was saying that the problem for them in the transfer market this summer has been a lack of money and he was well aware of that, and he thinks they've done well to get the players they have done already.

I'm guessing it's with a reference to the costs involved in over-hauling the management and maybe some hesitancy after last summer's wasted money.

Still, Liverpool will have improved their side quite nicely if they nab Sahin. Not sure about Tello tbh. With Arsenal looking like losing two of their better players and Spurs flapping...Liverpool could build some nice momentum in the early weeks - shame for them they have some tough fixtures.

Kyoufu

Toon v Spuds is at 5:30pm on Saturday rather than 3pm with everyone else. It's a shame Sky aren't broadcasting it though :(

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Toon v Spuds is at 5:30pm on Saturday rather than 3pm with everyone else. It's a shame Sky aren't broadcasting it though :(

It's on ESPN in the UK.

Sandro and Huddlestone vs Anita and Tiote

CLASH OF THE TITANS

Clegg

Apparently there are about 50 photographers outside Bridgewater, the hospital where United have players undergo their medicals.

Still no sign of RVP.

sohois

Caught a snippet of Rodgers' presser on SSN and he was saying that the problem for them in the transfer market this summer has been a lack of money and he was well aware of that, and he thinks they've done well to get the players they have done already.

I'm guessing it's with a reference to the costs involved in over-hauling the management and maybe some hesitancy after last summer's wasted money.

Still, Liverpool will have improved their side quite nicely if they nab Sahin. Not sure about Tello tbh. With Arsenal looking like losing two of their better players and Spurs flapping...Liverpool could build some nice momentum in the early weeks - shame for them they have some tough fixtures.

Liverpool have already spent about £25million though, with the only money in coming from wage savings and presumably some more deals still to do. That's compared to around £40million net spend last season. So not a huge difference, in fact probably about the amount spent on changing the managers is the difference

Cuddler

Di Marizio : Juve will offer Bilbao 18 million + bonuses in the coming days.

:/

Wenger: "We are not interested in Llorente"

Which means he is. Faster, Marotta.

About Llorente they talked about Tottenham too today on Italian tv. He's not really worthy more than what we are offering IMO since his contract will expire next year.

PaulLFC

Ben Smith saying Sahin should be announced later on today. Also hearing that there is an option to buy in the contract.
Wow! Completely unexpected but very nice if it turns out we do have the option to buy. Where did you hear that mate?

Surprised nobody's posted a "Sahin spotted at JLA" tweet yet actually!

Carbonox

Pardew: We want to make another signing before the window closes.

..... "another signing".....

One signing?

Sigh. We're in fucking Europe, we don't have the depth for all the competitions. Clueless prick.

Make it Debuchy then, we can wait until January for Douglas. I still want a striker though damn it.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
29 millions for Song is the price Le Arse is asking. Ridiculous, Wenger you can keep him.

Kyoufu

Pardew: We want to make another signing before the window closes.

..... "another signing".....

One signing?

Sigh. We're in fucking Europe, we don't have the depth for all the competitions. Clueless prick.

Make it Debuchy then, we can wait until January for Douglas. I still want a striker though damn it.

Why are you calling Pardew a clueless prick? It's not even up to him! :lol

And who gives a toss about Europa league? We certainly don't. Our youngsters will play and that's really it. League is what matters.

Guys in the paid league, do you wanna discuss the way we'll split the winnings on the FPL forum to stop from shitting this thread up with talk that's irrelevant to 80% of the users.

Also, join it if you haven't :D

And remember, if you get permabanned from here, you can't win the league. So if you're near the top, you'd better keep your eye on the ball :p

edit: Taking my business-hat off, Song is worth 29million to Arsenal. If he leaves, it turns an annoying yet potentially successful transfer window into an exodus and sinking ship

Tc91

Oh please, not this again.

It's not like we desperately need Song. If Song is worth 29 million then the market is fucked up.

He's a great player I can remember a few times he played amazing lobbed through passes to RVP. Think he did it vs Liverpool and also Norwich.

Will be a massive loss for Arsenal that's for sure.

Kyoufu

You serious?

Yup. Pardew isn't playing most of our star players unless we've got nothing else going on.

He says top 4 is priority.

I know you guys think differently but that's just the way it is. Until Europa has CL levels of money we'll never take it seriously with our squad.

Salvadora

He's a great player I can remember a few times he played amazing lobbed through passes to RVP. Think he did it vs Liverpool and also Norwich.

Will be a massive loss for Arsenal that's for sure.

& lets not forget he still has a long time left on his contract.

ShogunX

Who gives a toss about Europa league? We certainly don't.

Terrible attitude to have towards a very good competition. Fair enough in the early rounds it's a little bit shit but after the group stages the Europa league throws up matches that are just as good as some of the stuff in the Champions league.

He says top 4 is priority.

Think this a a bit unrealistic with the current squad Newcastle have.

kharma45

Guys in the paid league, do you wanna discuss the way we'll split the winnings on the FPL forum to stop from shitting this thread up with talk that's irrelevant to 80% of the users.

Also, join it if you haven't :D

And remember, if you get permabanned from here, you can't win the league. So if you're near the top, you'd better keep your eye on the ball :p

edit: Taking my business-hat off, Song is worth 29million to Arsenal. If he leaves, it turns an annoying yet potentially successful transfer window into an exodus and sinking ship

What about 70% to first, 20% to second and 10% to third?

Kyoufu

Terrible attitude to have towards a very good competition. Fair enough in the early rounds it's a little bit shit but after the group stages the Europa league throws up matches that are just as good as some of the stuff in the Champions league.

Easy to say as a Liverpool fan. You can afford squad depth for several competitions. We can't.

And I'm not talking about match quality. It's about money. Europa has no money.

ElyrionX

It's not like we desperately need Song. If Song is worth 29 million then the market is fucked up.

Well, first of all, the market *is* fucked up. Second of all, you guys certainly did help with the fucking up when you stole Fabregas from them.

Meier

Here is the full story

I'm really looking forwards to this.

Also very surprised they're doing it, this data is held in high secrecy by most clubs. Not even all members of staff or players are privy to it.

I do find it quite bizarre how little statistical information is available on players. In the US, every major sport has an INSANE amount of info for every player in every match he's played in for his entire career. Here are a few examples (you can change the drop-down menu to show earlier seasons in the players' career):

MLB
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/splits/_/id/28963/clayton-kershaw -- Splits (stats based on every possible instance the player can be in as a pitcher)
http://espn.go.com/mlb/player/gamelog/_/id/28963/clayton-kershaw - Game Log (high level stats for every performance)

NBA
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/splits/_/id/3202/kevin-durant -- there are fewer scenario differences in basketball

NFL
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/splits/_/id/5651/jared-allen -- Insanely detailed splits available for NFL players

This goes across all leagues at most all levels (NCAA sports usually don't go nearly as in-depth publicly though). Then you have sites like Baseball-Reference and others that provide additional Sabermetric data on every player in the game. The fact the closest thing you can get to a game log for the PL is goals, cards and minutes and that it requires a lot of effort to even find a site with this info is insane to me.

Salazar

Going, going

oYmia.gif

bud

if song had been english and another english club wanted to buy him, he'd be worth over 50 million.

Carbonox

Why are you calling Pardew a clueless prick? It's not even up to him! :lol

And who gives a toss about Europa league? We certainly don't. Our youngsters will play and that's really it. League is what matters.

Pardew's involvement in the transfers is irrelevant. He should know that our squad isn't up to snuff.

Also, the players give a damn about the tournament, irrelevant of what the finance lads and lasses think. I wouldn't mind a nice run in it as well. Being lazy in the transfer front isn't going to help with that, especially when our second choice players would struggle to get in to a mid-table team.

Kozak

Banned

No, its a terrible competition. Its great if you get to the final but anything before that is just wasted effort. The cash offered is a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom