• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShogunX

Easy to say as a Liverpool fan. You can afford squad depth for several competitions. We can't.

And I'm not talking about match quality. It's about money. Europa has no money.

Well we don't have the best squad around either but luckily some of our younger players are at a decent level so we can field a nice mixture of both. If Newcastle plan on making themselves a force again and want to attract the top players then surely doing well in next years Europa league will be a very good start. Obviously the league will be the priority as it will for the majority of clubs but I don't think anyone should write off the Europa as a distraction.

Tc91

In the last two years, EL was more fun to watch than the CL.

I agree Athletic Bilbao were immense to watch.

Can't remember who made that run vs United in The San Mamés, when he almost scored after taking on about 5 players. Awesome.

Kyoufu

Pardew's involvement in the transfers is irrelevant. He should know that our squad isn't up to snuff.

Also, the players give a damn about the tournament, irrelevant of what the finance lads and lasses think. I wouldn't mind a nice run in it as well. Being lazy in the transfer front isn't going to help with that, especially when our second choice players would struggle to get in to a mid-table team.

Your negativity is worse than mine at times. We almost had 3rd last season with a squad much worse than ours currently today.

You want us to do a Stoke and sacrifice league positions to play in a tournament maybe 3 of the 11 first team starters care about?

Oh please, not this again.

It's not like we desperately need Song. If Song is worth 29 million then the market is fucked up.
Barcelona have played their own hand in shitting the market up, all the top clubs pay obscene amounts of money for players.

Arsenal are well within their right to ask for 29M Euros.

No, I wasn't assigned. We don't have assignments; we just browse how we want to and moderate what we happen to see.

I somehow doubt it. I've read this topic off and on from the beginning and there's almost no problems.

A thankfully sensible approach, there is quite a bit of back and forth in here during games but 99.9% of it is good natured :)

ShogunX

No, its a terrible competition. Its great if you get to the final but anything before that is just wasted effort. The cash offered is a joke.

No doubt money drives the game but putting it above winning trophies is not only sad but goes to show how terrible the mindset of so called fans are these days. As a fan of a club who aren't quite ready to consistently break into the top tier of the league and Champions League the Europa league should be seen as a very good trophy to win.

Nothing worse than this bank balance bullshit.

Salvadora

Mike Jefferies ‏@mikejefferiesL4
Just been told Sahin won't be announced today. AFC have had a crack at hijacking deal. Still likely to go to LFC but will take a day or two.
@AFCAMDEN retweeted this.

LegoArmo

No doubt money drives the game but putting it above winning trophies is not only sad but goes to show how terrible the mindset of so called fans are these days. As a fan of a club who aren't quite ready to consistently break into the top tier of the league and Champions League the Europa league should be seen as a very good trophy to win.

I agree. As a Liverpool fan though, would you rather play in the Champions League and go out at an early stage, or win the Europa?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Liverpool should give it a shot. There's a record to be broken there.

KE3U3.png

Yen

Easy to say as a Liverpool fan. You can afford squad depth for several competitions. We can't.

And I'm not talking about match quality. It's about money. Europa has no money.

Going on a great run in the Europa (getting to the semis) and finishing 8th is better than going out early after playing your reserves and finishing 6th.

Kyoufu

You're really missing the point here.

Going on a great run in the Europa (getting to the semis) and finishing 8th is better than going out early after playing your reserves and finishing 6th.

Obviously. But we don't want 6th. We want 4 or above.

Players want CL football. If you don't get CL, you lose players and you lose potential signings that only want to join clubs with CL.

@AFCAMDEN retweeted this.
Thought so.

Still reckon he'll end up at Liverpool cos it looks like they're well down the line on the deal but it did seem like Sahin did favour Arsenal at one stage so you'd expect them to make a final push, especially when it looks like you're losing RVP and Song.

offshore

Kyoufu said:
You're really missing the point here.
No he's not. It's like Arsenal fans always banging on about having to qualify for the CL. Yet what have they done in the competition in all 15 seasons? Absolutely fuck all. If they qualified for the Europa, there's a chance they could actually win it.

Not saying we will win the Europa, but going pretty far is a genuine possibility. I'd take that any day.

Carbonox

Your negativity is worse than mine at times. We almost had 3rd last season with a squad much worse than ours currently today.

You want us to do a Stoke and sacrifice league positions to play in a tournament maybe 3 of the 11 first team starters care about?

I'd be happy if we finished top 8 and got in to the quarters or semi's of the Europa League. It's practice at the end of the day, even for our subs/reserves. Great practice at that. I don't however want us to play our first 11 all the time in the Europa League as THAT would be suicidal for our league chances.

Naturally I prioritise the league but I still expect some effort to be made to increase our quality in depth. We have some good options for some of the positions but not a broad range that I would like or expect in any football team competing in the top half of the table and taking competitions seriously.

ONE DAY WE SHALL.

Yen

Obviously. But we don't want 6th. We want 4 or above.

Players want CL football. If you don't get CL, you lose players and you lose potential signings that only want to join clubs with CL.

Well with all the prestige and money the top 6 clubs excluding Newcastle have, it's highly unlikely you will ever (consistently) get fourth, hence why I'm saying you should value cups more.

ShogunX

I agree. As a Liverpool fan though, would you rather play in the Champions League and go out at an early stage, or win the Europa?

As a fan? I would rather win the Europa league every single time. The enjoyment, build up, hype and experience of going to a final in a top stadium is something I will never forget.

Kyoufu

No he's not. It's like Arsenal fans always banging on about having to qualify for the CL. Yet what have they done in the competition in all 15 seasons? Absolutely fuck all. If they qualified for the Europa, there's a chance they could actually win it.

Not saying we will win the Europa, but going pretty far is a genuine possibility. I'd take that any day.

You're comparing us with Arsenal? Why?

If we break into the top 4 and into CL then our next goal would be to become title contenders. We're not looking to be a selling club like Arsenal.

Cuddler

So searching for news about Bendtner it seems that there will be a swap between Milan and Arsenal, Bendtner to Milan and Mexes to Arsenal...

LegoArmo

As a fan? I would rather win the Europa league every single time. The enjoyment, build up, hype and experience of going to a final in a top stadium is something I will never forget.

Good answer. I loved when Celtic got to the final in 2003, even though we lost, should have won it, and we played a pretty special team...

qindarka

Banned
Because Arsenal are always about league position and qualifying for the CL.

And what do they have to show for it?

Fuck all. Nothing.

True, for a team of their stature, Arsenal's CL record really is poor. Only one final and one other semi-final in all those years.

Kyoufu

Because Arsenal are always about league position and qualifying for the CL.

And what do they have to show for it?

Fuck all. Nothing.

You just ignored the rest of my post :(

Anyway, I guess there will be many disappointed Newcastle fans this season when they see our B side playing in Europa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom