• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I think the three best midfielders so far have been Dembele, Fellaini and Cazorla.

jtb

Banned
Without a doubt, for me.

We'll have to see if he can keep it up. tbh, I rate Mata higher than Silva too, but Silva's been looking burnt out for practically the entire calendar year now so I'm not sure if that's him out of form or just being overworked.

--

Really crucial three points today after the last two league results. Cazorla and Giroud were fantastic, nice to see Walcott get a goal too even if he needs to be shipped out ASAP.

dc89

Fady's tag is one of my favourites. He is clearly very passionate about Xenogears (gears or saga? I can't remember)

:lol

I'll leave that one to Salazar

tumblr_m6v6t4sSgC1r39p8wo4_400.jpg

What's Cleverly ever won? The facts are there

jtb

Banned
No but he's got more options than Gervinho, a much better footballing brain, and as a team we look better and more of a threat when Giroud is on the field.

and he's a striker.

Gervinho is not a striker, is a pretty terrible finisher, is terrible off the ball, has a horribly inconsistent first touch, and has no aerial or physical presence in the box (partly because he's never in the box)... I don't get it. At least Walcott can finish.

elsk

Banned
No but he's got more options than Gervinho, a much better footballing brain, and as a team we look better and more of a threat when Giroud is on the field.

Yes, he has great vision and football skills (specially for a striker). I watched him a bit when Bayern were interested in him and he assisted a lot of goals.

lol Stubbs

'people will be saying, maybe Arsene Wenger's building a teamwhich could challenge for the top 4 at least'

Gooners will be a bit pissed off if you don't challenge for the top 4, I think

dc89

Haha, listen to him 'destroy' the Invincibles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr-JKr2d5Vo

Clearly an intelligent man

Clearly his job is to wind people up, get them to ring and text in to his employers which makes them money and thus pays his wages. He is very effective at it.

He does spout bollocks, but it's so entertaining to listen to the muppets who ring in and argue agains it, you can't win, so don't ring in :lol But also he uses facts and then puts a spin on it, and most people don't know how to react to it.

Classic examples are right there in that video.

"New Zealand went unbeaten at the World Cup. They are as good as Arsenal."
"That unbeaten Arsenal team drew 4 of their last 5 games. They played to draw. Manchester City this season always played to win."

Fact and Spin. Fact and Spin.

and he's a striker.

Gervinho is not a striker, is a pretty terrible finisher, is terrible off the ball, has a horribly inconsistent first touch, and has no aerial or physical presence in the box (partly because he's never in the box)... I don't get it. At least Walcott can finish.

Gervinho isn't bad off the ball, be fair. Whether he's outwide or central he always finds himself in decent positions.

It's easy to say Theo should play up top (not that you did, but that'll be the discussion for this week) when he's got 20 yards of grass to run into behind the defence, but no-one ever plays that high against us. West Ham did for a short period of time because they had it in their heads that they could win the game.

lol Stubbs

'people will be saying, maybe Arsene Wenger's building a teamwhich could challenge for the top 4 at least'

Gooners will be a bit pissed off if you don't challenge for the top 4, I think

He wanted to say title then thought he'd be ripped into for thinking it, lol.

Adrian Durham. Props to him for being a Master Troll.

When does troll turn into JT? Skip Bayless is a quality troll. He'll skew and twist facts to suit his antagonistic argument. Adrian Durham is a JT. He'll ignore facts and use illogical analogies and insults to suit his antagonistic argument.

jtb

Banned
Clearly his job is to wind people up, get them to ring and text in to his employers which makes them money and thus pays his wages. He is very effective at it.

He does spout bollocks, but it's so entertaining to listen to the muppets who ring in and argue agains it, you can't win, so don't ring in :lol But also he uses facts and then puts a spin on it, and most people don't know how to react to it.

Classic examples are right there in that video.

"New Zealand went unbeaten at the World Cup. They are as good as Arsenal."
"That unbeaten Arsenal team drew 4 of their last 5 games. They played to draw. Manchester City this season always played to win."

Fact and Spin. Fact and Spin.

Exactly. We won the title at White Hart Lane, City won the title on the last day of the season. No shit Mancini tried to get as many points as possible in the last league fixtures.

Gervinho isn't bad off the ball, be fair. Whether he's outwide or central he always finds himself in decent positions.

It's easy to say Theo should play up top (not that you did, but that'll be the discussion for this week) when he's got 20 yards of grass to run into behind the defence, but no-one ever plays that high against us. West Ham did for a short period of time because they had it in their heads that they could win the game.

Well, Gervinho's not bad as a winger (though he's way too selfish and fucking refuses to cross the ball into the box) in making off the ball runs, but I've been very underwhelmed by his movement as a striker. He's always really deep in midfield, which makes no sense for a team that puts in cross after cross on the ground (which are always inevitably cut out anyways).

As for Theo, I agree completely which is why I say sell him in January while we still can and under no circumstances should his greedy ass get 100k/week. BUT, if we're going to play Gervinho as emergency striker, I say let Theo have a go too. West Ham stuck a lot of men behind the ball for the majority of the match and they got caught out on the counter—other teams will get caught out too and Theo can punish them. A classic poacher-target man pairing would work great I think, especially if we need to rest key midfield players, but I can't see Wenger abandoning the 4-2-3-1.

Lightning

Banned
As for Theo, I agree completely which is why I say sell him in January while we still can and under no circumstances should his greedy ass get 100k/week. BUT, if we're going to play Gervinho as emergency striker, I say let Theo have a go too. West Ham stuck a lot of men behind the ball for the majority of the match and they got caught out on the counter—other teams will get caught out too and Theo can punish them. A classic poacher-target man pairing would work great I think, especially if we need to rest key midfield players, but I can't see Wenger abandoning the 4-2-3-1.
I also think that Walcott can only work as a striker with someone supporting him. He too doesn't have the technical skill nor the footballing brain to be successful as a lone striker. My main issue with Walcott is his contract situation. I am reluctatnt to want us to start him, he develops into a decent/classy striker, then fucks off at the end of the season for free. So for me until he signs bench is where he should be and if he signs then we can look at fitting him in but I personally am in favor of shipping both him and Arshavin out in January since they are surplus to requirements imo.

Get rid of Chamakh and Diaby as well and bring in an actual striker and a player like M'Vila and we'll be set imo. A decent back up goal keeper wouldn't go a miss either because I hate Mannone.

Facism

Gold Member
PLAYED FIFA 13 LAST NIGHT LOVED IT WHERE CAN I GET IT CHEAP CHEAP 5 DOLLAR PLEASE THANKYOU FOOTBALL GAF DON'T GET SHAMED.

Lightning

Banned
I hope Gibbs isn't badly injured. He has earned his call up to England so it would be a shame to be ruled out with injury now.

Just got an update. Wenger says this:

"He has a thigh problem just above his knee, I think he will be very doubtful for England.," said Wenger after the game.

That is incredibly disappointing for Gibbs. He earned his chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom