• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

So, that Jimmy Saville was a bit of a JT. What a surprise.

Wilbury is dressing up as him for Hallowe'en.

Watching Fincher's Dragon Tattoo, some people have accents, some don't. Odd.

edit: Given up on it after 20 minutes. Only watched the Swedish version about 3 months ago, couldn't suffer through this again.

jtb

Banned
I also think that Walcott can only work as a striker with someone supporting him. He too doesn't have the technical skill nor the footballing brain to be successful as a lone striker. My main issue with Walcott is his contract situation. I am reluctatnt to want us to start him, he develops into a decent/classy striker, then fucks off at the end of the season for free. So for me until he signs bench is where he should be and if he signs then we can look at fitting him in but I personally am in favor of shipping both him and Arshavin out in January since they are surplus to requirements imo.

Get rid of Chamakh and Diaby as well and bring in an actual striker and a player like M'Vila and we'll be set imo. A decent back up goal keeper wouldn't go a miss either because I hate Mannone.

I agree, ship him out during January, but I say keep Arshavin, Chamakh and Diaby—on the condition that they are backups. Arshavin can still be pretty effective in a number 10 and Cazorla won't be fit for every game this season. Plus, we'd only be selling him for free, so we may as well just let his contract expire at the end of the season imo.

Chamakh... there's a decent player lurking in there somewhere but he's such a mismatch for our style and he's so devoid of confidence anyways that he's practically worthless on the transfer market. Podli, Giroud, and Gervinho should be enough to cover the season, but you never know. Good to have as emergency cover.

Diaby wasn't relied on last season so Wenger relying on him this season is fucking negligent given his injury record. I'd like to see Coquelin get some games—I like having a nice, simple true DM, but failing that, let's get a M'Vila or some equally dynamic, tackling midfielder. I like this double pivot system right now, and Diaby will never stay fit. As it is though, central midfield looks relatively solid and Diaby seems replaceable. A backup for Arteta seems to be the bigger worry... (good thing he doesn't get called up for internationals, but still. Maybe Wilshere?)

Lightning

Banned
I agree, ship him out during January, but I say keep Arshavin, Chamakh and Diaby—on the condition that they are backups. Arshavin can still be pretty effective in a number 10 and Cazorla won't be fit for every game this season. Plus, we'd only be selling him for free, so we may as well just let his contract expire at the end of the season imo.

Chamakh... there's a decent player lurking in there somewhere but he's such a mismatch for our style and he's so devoid of confidence anyways that he's practically worthless on the transfer market. Podli, Giroud, and Gervinho should be enough to cover the season, but you never know. Good to have as emergency cover.

Diaby wasn't relied on last season so Wenger relying on him this season is fucking negligent given his injury record. I'd like to see Coquelin get some games—I like having a nice, simple true DM, but failing that, let's get a M'Vila or some equally dynamic, tackling midfielder. I like this double pivot system right now, and Diaby will never stay fit. As it is thouigh, central midfield looks relatively solid and Diaby seems replaceable. A backup for Arteta seems to be the bigger worry... (good thing he doesn't get called up for internationals, but still. Maybe Wilshere?)
We don't have time to waste on Chamakh. Unlike Giroud Chamakh doesn't assist the team that much even when he's not scoring himself. It's like playing with 10 players with him.

Why waste a valuable spot on Diaby when you openly admit he will never stay fit? He's a decent player but he's not that good we should only have him for 25% of our games being genenrous. Not to mention he seems to get injured at bad times and we suffer for it. His injury cost us against Chelsea, among other things I know, but his injury was one of the reasons we conceded that first goal. I consider him a liability as no matter what game he plays you will always have it at the back of your mind will he be able to finish it.

And Wilshere is the only one who can replace Arteta in this squad without us having a massive downgrade.

GQman2121

Banned
I'm about to watch the New York Redbull play the Chicago Fire. Henry apparently has 14 goals and 12 assists this season in the MLS. He's a MVP candidate and averaging a goal every two games.

It has also been brought to my attention that Kyle Martino is married to.....

eva-amurri.jpg

Fuck that guy.......

jtb

Banned
We don't have time to waste on Chamakh. Unlike Giroud Chamakh doesn't assist the team that much even when he's not scoring himself. It's like playing with 10 players with him.

Why waste a valuable spot on Diaby when you openly admit he will never stay fit? He's a decent player but he's not that good we should only have him for 25% of our games being genenrous. Not to mention he seems to get injured at bad times and we suffer for it. His injury cost us against Chelsea, among other things I know, but his injury was one of the reasons we conceded that first goal. I consider him a liability as no matter what game he plays you will always have it at the back of your mind will he be able to finish it.

And Wilshere is the only one who can replace Arteta in this squad without us having a massive downgrade.

Well, for Diaby... I mean, he's always injured (and Wenger provided him a nice, fat contract that runs for a little while longer I think) during the transfer windows so we can't exactly offload him. I've always felt that the failings of the recent Arsenal sides is the complete lack of depth and Diaby can still put in a quality shift so I'm not opposed to keeping him if we find a new first choice and then drop one of the current backups. I'd pick Frimpong—he's like the worst parts of Song x10 and is a pretty terrible tackler for a DM. Diaby was probably already playing too much this season, which says it all, really. RVP staying fit all of last season was a fluke and Wenger was naive to think that Diaby of all people was going to repeat that miracle.

For this season, Coq/Rambo/Frimpong will have to do. Next season, I want a new first choice Cazorla-type signing in midfield. But for now, I think we'll do well even with the huge enigma that is Diaby. Don't have much of a choice, lol...

Sup guys.

Been out most of the day.

Highlights of the day? Heard Balotelli has flown home or something cos he was so pissed at Mancini? That true?

Very good win for us. Hopefully Gibbs is ok.

Grioud was excellent today, chased down balls, headed down and linked up with the other players really well. Was very impressed and he finally has that first goal! Yay. That'll give him the confidence to go on a bit of a run I think.

Superb goal from Santi, another player who has really impressed me with how quickly he's adapted to this league. Very classy and I'd say he's much better than Silva but on a par with Mata, who I love.

Linius

I just wrecked my controller but I got it fixed. At first I was in shock I actually did such a thing but now I'm relieved I was able to fix it. Fuck FIFA.

Lightning

Banned
Well, for Diaby... I mean, he's always injured (and Wenger provided him a nice, fat contract that runs for a little while longer I think) during the transfer windows so we can't exactly offload him. I've always felt that the failings of the recent Arsenal sides is the complete lack of depth and Diaby can still put in a quality shift so I'm not opposed to keeping him if we find a new first choice and then drop one of the current backups. I'd pick Frimpong—he's like the worst parts of Song x10 and is a pretty terrible tackler for a DM. Diaby was probably already playing too much this season, which says it all, really. RVP staying fit all of last season was a fluke and Wenger was naive to think that Diaby of all people was going to repeat that miracle.

For this season, Coq/Rambo/Frimpong will have to do. Next season, I want a new first choice Cazorla-type signing in midfield. But for now, I think we'll do well even with the huge enigma that is Diaby. Don't have much of a choice, lol...
Also buddy in regards to Arshavin you're kidding if you think when Santi is not playing Arshavin will be. That wont happen. Santi's replacement will be Ramsey or Rosciky I am certain of it although Arshavin would benefit our team more but Ramsey's coming into good form and confidence so if he can kick on it will be great for us.

Frimpong needs to be loaned out and to sort his shit out. He's a red card waiting to happen every game. Reckless tackles, just dumb careless crap. I love his dedication to Arsenal but I don't like him much as a player and I think Coq is infinitely a better prospect although he needs work as well but is far bettter than Frimpong.

Very good win for us. Hopefully Gibbs is ok.
I think Wenger said he'll stuggle to be ready for England but hopefully doesn't miss too many games for us.

jtb

Banned
Also buddy in regards to Arshavin you're kidding if you think when Santi is not playing Arshavin will be. That wont happen. Santi's replacement will be Ramsey or Rosciky I am certain of it although Arshavin would benefit our team more but Ramsey's coming into good form and confidence so if he can kick on it will be great for us.

Frimpong needs to be loaned out and to sort his shit out. He's a red card waiting to happen every game. Reckless tackles, just dumb careless crap. I love his dedication to Arsenal but I don't like him much as a player and I think Coq is infinitely a better prospect although he needs work as well but is far bettter than Frimpong.

I think Wenger said he'll stuggle to be ready for England but hopefully doesn't miss too many games for us.

Eh Rosicky is incredibly injury prone (though he was magnificent last season in that 10 role) and Ramsey is shit in that role—and he'll probably be deputizing for Diaby more often than not anyways. Never underestimate the injury crisis; I suspect Arshavin will get a fair share of games.

Agreed on Frimpong. Shame he got injured, what, two games into his last loan spell...

Arnie

Got absolutely Beth Tweddled last night. Ended up walking home in a strop at 3am because I saw a mega fit girl off my course getting with some random guy. Worked at Wednesday today, my god that was a drab game, and Wednesday probably didn't deserve anything from it.

Going to a house party in 15 minutes and I'm drinking a Lucozade. Opened a stella but I can't hack it. Need sleep. Sat a metre away from Steve Bruce before, and in my current state, after he said the word 'effervescent', I wanted to deck him.

Sat a metre away from Steve Bruce before, and in my current state, after he said the word 'effervescent', I wanted to deck him.
Had to look up the definition and this was the example sentence they used "The effervescent Suarez then went close again as he worked space for a shot after a mazy run but could not keep his close-range shot below the crossbar."

So much truth

Arnie

Had to look up the definition and this was the example sentence they used "The effervescent Suarez then went close again as he worked space for a shot after a mazy run but could not keep his close-range shot below the crossbar."

So much truth

In fairness, Bruce did sort of apologise for using the word. But the damage had been done.

Do Chelsea fans ever sing any different than that one song? Seriously

They sang

"Oh Jesper Grønkjær you are the love of my life
Oh Jesper Grønkjær I would let ya shag my wife
Oh Jesper Grønkjær *something i couldnt make out*"

For like 90 min against us. :p

They sang

"Oh Jesper Grønkjær you are the love of my life
Oh Jesper Grønkjær I would let ya shag my wife
Oh Jesper Grønkjær *something i couldnt make out*"

For like 90 min against us. :p
Whatever it was it wasn't better than:

OH Owen Hargreaves you are the love of my life
OH Owen Hargreaves I'd let you shag my wife
OH Owen Hargreaves...I want curly hair tooooo!

In video form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom