• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slizz

Any woman that chooses to be with Ashton Kutcher can't be that good.

Macualy Culkin FOREVER before that too.... =\. All the brunettes I like are with douchebags.
Rachel Bilson(my av) Shitty grown up Anakin Skywalker. Brie is with James Francos little bro(dude from 21 Jump Street) and Kuins with Kutcher.

clemenx

Banned
I'm watching some of the CL matches I couldn't see during the week.

I refuse to get excited about Kaka ;_; he will remain my fave player forever anyways.

Kettering Town field 10 players in 7-0 defeat

Kettering could field only 10 players against Bashley, with the club struggling to pay their squad.
A number of players gave the Poppies a 14-day ultimatum to be paid their wages or else they would leave Nene Park. That deadline expired before Saturday's match and Poppies lost the Evo-Stik Southern Premier encounter 7-0.

"If I could tell you a solution I would but I can't see a way forward. I was in tears at the end," caretaker-boss Alan Doyle told BBC Radio Northampton. The club's manager John Beck was asked to step aside prior to their FA Trophy match against Concord Rangers, but he has confirmed that he has not been sacked, nor has he resigned.

Doyle did have 11 players on the teamsheet prior to the match, but reserve goalkeeper Ben Gathercole, who had been set to play outfield, failed to turn up for the fixture. "I rang him this morning and told him I needed him to play, but he said he was owed money by the club," said Doyle. "I told him that I would give him some money out of my own pocket and he said he'd come in, but then he stopped answering his phone." Doyle revealed that following news that many of the squad had left the club earlier this week, Kettering - who had debts totalling £1.2 million prior to agreeing a company voluntary arrangement with creditors - tried in vain to bring players in for the Bashley game.

"We tried to sign some players on non-contract terms, we had five players to register," he added. "The FA told us on Thursday night don't bother sending them in because there's an embargo on the club. "They said that you can't sign any more players because you've already registered 30, of which 15 or 16 were players that John [Beck] had signed on contracts for trials. They never even played for the first team.

"We fought all day Friday, all the way up until 12 o'clock at night and then early this morning we were told there was no way we can sign players. "And at the bottom of the email that we got it says 'we'll fine you if you don't put out a team'." The club's major shareholder Imraan Ladak took charge after Ritchie Jeune had seemingly replaced him as chairman. However, caretaker boss Doyle admitted he is yet to meet face-to-face with Ladak.

"I've never met him in my life, I had one phone conversation with him six weeks ago asking how my job was," Doyle said. "I got a text message through asking me to be caretaker-manager. "In life, if plan A doesn't work then you go to plan B or C. But we don't seem to have a plan B or C. "There are some lovely people here but I can honestly say I can't see what we can do about this.

"I don't know if we will be able to put a team out again. I can't sign any more players, one of them got a knock and one of them said to me he doesn't want to play any more, so that's us down to eight."

Lightning

Banned
Meus, What do you reckon of that West Ham game? I think West Ham can take a lot of heart from that performance as on a different day it could have ended 3-1 the other way around.

Defensively we look suspect again I feel.

dc89

If I was local to Kettering I'd go knock on the door with my boots and say give me a chance! Seriously, what's the worse that could happen?

Facism

Gold Member
ibuBg8QW3bQA5R.gif

iySaCkft8XzBF.gif

Beautful stuff! Quiche was not even half bad.

i would like to get in on this good shit. Cheapest PC price?

anyone know if you can import your pro from fifa 11? Can't find him on the EA site :<

If I was local to Kettering I'd go knock on the door with my boots and say give me a chance! Seriously, what's the worse that could happen?

It says right in the article, FA won't let them register players because their finance situation led to a transfer embargo.

Read, dc, read :p

Meus, What do you reckon of that West Ham game? I think West Ham can take a lot of heart from that performance as on a different day it could have ended 3-1 the other way around.

Defensively we look suspect again I feel.

What worries me most is the Zonal Marking policy. We've never once looked assure with it. The idea of standing and not attacking the ball, whilst your opponent instead does, makes the players look like chickens in front of head lights.

Going forward, we looked great, especially in the first 10-20 minutes. I thought we suffered a little bit after conceding the goal. I am not convinced by Gervinho if I'm honest. He is just too erratic for me in his play and effectiveness. I thought Giroud was great, really impressed me and I hope he stays up front.

Cazorla, again, special.

Clegg

Just back from the Leinster/Munster rugby game.

Cracking game with the right team winning too

A bit late for the debate about the best 10. But can't agree with Robben being as good as Zidane/Messi/Maradona/Bergkamp/Rooney/Ronaldinho/Figo/Del Piero/Pele/Van Nisterrooy.

WJD

Kettering Town field 10 players in 7-0 defeat

Kettering could field only 10 players against Bashley, with the club struggling to pay their squad.
A number of players gave the Poppies a 14-day ultimatum to be paid their wages or else they would leave Nene Park. That deadline expired before Saturday's match and Poppies lost the Evo-Stik Southern Premier encounter 7-0.

"If I could tell you a solution I would but I can't see a way forward. I was in tears at the end," caretaker-boss Alan Doyle told BBC Radio Northampton. The club's manager John Beck was asked to step aside prior to their FA Trophy match against Concord Rangers, but he has confirmed that he has not been sacked, nor has he resigned.

Doyle did have 11 players on the teamsheet prior to the match, but reserve goalkeeper Ben Gathercole, who had been set to play outfield, failed to turn up for the fixture. "I rang him this morning and told him I needed him to play, but he said he was owed money by the club," said Doyle. "I told him that I would give him some money out of my own pocket and he said he'd come in, but then he stopped answering his phone." Doyle revealed that following news that many of the squad had left the club earlier this week, Kettering - who had debts totalling £1.2 million prior to agreeing a company voluntary arrangement with creditors - tried in vain to bring players in for the Bashley game.

"We tried to sign some players on non-contract terms, we had five players to register," he added. "The FA told us on Thursday night don't bother sending them in because there's an embargo on the club. "They said that you can't sign any more players because you've already registered 30, of which 15 or 16 were players that John [Beck] had signed on contracts for trials. They never even played for the first team.

"We fought all day Friday, all the way up until 12 o'clock at night and then early this morning we were told there was no way we can sign players. "And at the bottom of the email that we got it says 'we'll fine you if you don't put out a team'." The club's major shareholder Imraan Ladak took charge after Ritchie Jeune had seemingly replaced him as chairman. However, caretaker boss Doyle admitted he is yet to meet face-to-face with Ladak.

"I've never met him in my life, I had one phone conversation with him six weeks ago asking how my job was," Doyle said. "I got a text message through asking me to be caretaker-manager. "In life, if plan A doesn't work then you go to plan B or C. But we don't seem to have a plan B or C. "There are some lovely people here but I can honestly say I can't see what we can do about this.

"I don't know if we will be able to put a team out again. I can't sign any more players, one of them got a knock and one of them said to me he doesn't want to play any more, so that's us down to eight."

My girlfriend lives in Kettering. I should give it a go!

Just a warning, BVB winning against Hannover isn't that certain. Hannover haven't lost at home for some time and our away form this season is pretty awful.

We'll still gonna win this, though :D

Just back from the Leinster/Munster rugby game.

Cracking game with the right team winning too

A bit late for the debate about the best 10. But can't agree with Robben being as good as Zidane/Messi/Maradona/Bergkamp/Rooney/Ronaldinho/Figo/Del Piero/Pele/Van Nisterrooy.
What best 10 debate?

And Zidane, Messi, Maradonna, Ronaldinho and Pele are surely in a totally different class to those other names.

Speaking of which, Ronaldinho's goal today was magic.

elsk

Banned

I agree, Robben isn't a #10 actually, he's a winger and nothing else. But I wouldn't put Rooney there.

Fry

I agree, Robben isn't a #10 actually. He's a winger and nothing else, but I wouldn't put Rooney there.

It baffles me that a person doesn't think Robben on his prime isn't as good as Rooney.

I REALLY rate Rooney, but Robben can be better than him.

It baffles me that a person doesn't think Robben on his prime isn't as good as Rooney.

I REALLY rate Rooney, but Robben can be better than him.

Rooney isn't anywhere near some of the others either. Its not like we're saying there's all the other #10s, and Robben fannying about below them. He's just not one of the top ones

Clegg

quelle surprise!
He's not though.

He's certainly a good player but the one's I've mentioned have sustained their excellence for a much longer period of time.

Zidane/Messi/Ronaldinho/Pele/Maradona are all in the debate for greatest player of all time. And the others have played at a very high level for the majority of their careers.

Robben never reached the excellence of the first tier or the consistency of the second tier.

Edit: I know it's not a debate about the position of the player but they all wore the number 10 jersey.

"On his prime" doesn't really mean anything though. It's all about consistency.

Not that it isn't true, just it doesn't count for much. Rooney is the same. On his day, amazing. It isn't his day often enough.

Fry

"On his prime" doesn't really mean anything though. It's all about consistency.

Not that it isn't true, just it doesn't count for much. Rooney is the same. On his day, amazing. It isn't his day often enough.

Robben doesn't have consistency because he's injury prone, I know it's an excuse but it's true. He's not very confident these days either.

Clegg

Rivaldo is sometimes overlooked in these debates. He was an absolutely electric player. There's probably a compilation video of all the overhead kicks he's scored in his career.

IMO his overhead from outside the box, in the last game of the season, in the eighty eighth minute of the game, to ensure Barcas qualification to the CL is the greatest goal I've ever seen.

He scored a hattrick in that game too.

The Glory of Rivaldo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom