• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time for a fun debate.

Lets discuss the worst ever transfer windows for clubs. Wasted money, lost players, overlooked weaknesses etc

I'll start us off with a doozie, Liverpool in summer 2011.

Charlie Adam - £7m
Jordan Henderson - £16m (estimate)
Stewart Downing - £20m
Jose Enrique - £7m

Enrique is good when he's on form, and Henderson's alright, but for the returns on those investments, that is a dismal window by any standard. Give us your worst.

@Blablurn, what's with the font?

dc89

Time for a fun debate.

Lets discuss the worst ever transfer windows for clubs. Wasted money, lost players, overlooked weaknesses etc

Charlie Adam - £7m
Stewart Downing - £20m
Jose Enrique - £7m

Enrique is good when he's on form, and Henderson's alright, but for the returns on those investments, that is a dismal window by any standard. Give us your worst.

Ermmm well. Where do I start?!

Yen

Time for a fun debate.

Charlie Adam - £7m
Stewart Downing - £20m
Jose Enrique - £7m

2002:
Do we sign Anelka and Damien Duff, both at their peaks? No, let's sign Diouf (£11m), Cheyrou (£5m) and Diao (£5m), and spend a whole month trying to sign Lee Bowyer for £9m. We'd go from 2nd to 5th. I don't understand how Houllier just lost it.

sohois

Time for a fun debate.

Charlie Adam - £7m
Stewart Downing - £20m
Jose Enrique - £7m

The Hodge's window & some of the Souness buys still rank ahead of last year's transfer window for Liverpool.

Ermmm well. Where do I start?!

Were Santa Cruz and Bridge in the same window?

Worth mentioning that we paid for that window this summer as well. Awful ramifications all round, Commoli lost his job, Kenny as well when he couldn't get them performing, Rodgers' budget was cut because of it, Moneyball was abandoned as was the DoF role (for now)

@sohois, Hodgson's transfers were indeed appalling, but the fees weren't so ludicrous as the ones Commoli and Kenny accepted.

Konchesky is up there for the worst ever though. £7m, and two promising youngsters in exchange for a player Nottingham Forest fans don't even like.

Then there's Poulsen, the worst DM I've ever seen who was bought in to replace Mascherano, who's world class in that position. And of course Joe 'albatross' Cole, picking up his insane wages to this day, while offering nada in exchange, other than being a cheeky chappy around Melwood

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Time for a fun debate.

Spurs January 2012

Pienaar, Pavlyuchenko, Corluka, Bassong out.

Ryan Nelsen and Louis Saha in. Harry was off his tits letting those players go.

Spurs January 2012

Pienaar, Pavlyuchenko, Corluka, Bassong out.

Ryan Nelsen and Louis Saha in. Harry was off his tits letting those players go.

Hadn't Pienaar failed to settle, and Corluka had a massive form-crisis? Pavlyuchenko was treated harshly I feel, didn't see enough of bassong to judge

Get involved, non-English-Gaf

I have mixed feelings about tonight. As long as Abate is on the bench/far from the pitch, we should be good, at least for this particular match. But yeah, I'm afraid we'll lose because of Mexes or Antonini, or because El Sha will forget everything he did so far and be invisible like last year.

We need your support tonight, Juve-GAF. We're harmless this year, try to understand. ._.
Time for a fun debate.

Charlie Adam - £7m
Stewart Downing - £20m
Jose Enrique - £7m

Summer 2006. Shevchenko leaves Milan for €46m, finally making Abramovich happy by going to Chelsea. Everybody knew about this around mid-May, he even held a press conference in the trophies room. After he left, Galliani had a simple task: find a decent striker to replace Sheva. So he had three and a half months to do this: we go after Eto'o, Torres, Villa, maybe even Drogba for a couple of days, Henry and so on. All big players or soon-to-be. The last 10 days of August the worst thing happens: Galliani flies to Sevilla to sign Ricardo Oliveira, apparently a nice brazilian striker who was also one of the best in La Liga a couple of years before. He also scores in his first match with us against Lazio, a couple of minutes after he replaced Tomasson iirc, making us win that game. Everything looks great, right? Yeah, no, he basically scores two other times (one vs Udinese, I can't remember the other one) showing how much important Sheva was to us. Only Ibra is comparable to him, and he still is pretty far tbh.

But that season ended with Athens, so everything's good now. Still, Sheva is one of the best players I've ever seen with our shirt, having him in our starting XI meant starting the game with at least one goal for us.

This summer was also pretty awful: no more Ibra and Thiago Silva, say hi to Acerbi and Pazzini. Just like 2009, when Kakà left.

Arnie

So much good football on today, and I'm kicking it all off with an 11 a side match at 1. Come home, knackered of course, and watch Liverpool. Then the Milan derby, then El Clasico.

I've got the remains of a kebab in the fridge, too, might have a nibble for pre-match energy.

FootballFan

Aww :( Any reason why Napoli - Udinese and the Milan derby are on at the same time?

el Clasico, Newcastle - Man United, Atletico - Malaga (+ those italian games above). Yes!!!

Arnie

Is this Roma game live? Today's football schedule is fucking boss. Just had a root through the sky guide and its almost laughable. Dortmund, milans, Clasico, Uniteds, atletico aka Falcao.

FootballFan

Time for a fun debate.

Well for Barca, imo:

In:

Ibrahimovic - For 45mil euros + Eto'o (fucking hell...lol)
Chygrinsky - For 25mil euros
Keirrison - For 15mil euros (you guys probably don't even know who that is lol)
Maxwell - For 5mil euros, surprise surprise the cheapest player and easily the best transfer out of the 4.

Out:

Eto'o, Hleb, Caceres and Botia(damn it..)

Ugh..just looking at that In: list.... :lol

dc89

Were Santa Cruz and Bridge in the same window?

No, Bridge came first Santa Cruz the next window.

Emmanuel Adebayor £25,000,000
Roque Santa Cruz £17,500,000
Jo £18,000,000
Felipe Caicedo £5,200,000
Valeri Bojinov £5,750,000
Georgios Samaras £6,000,000

Yeah... :/

No, Bridge came first Santa Cruz the next window.

Emmanuel Adebayor £25,000,000
Roque Santa Cruz £17,500,000
Jo £18,000,000
Felipe Caicedo £5,200,000
Valeri Bojinov £5,750,000
Georgios Samaras £6,000,000

Yeah... :/

That's dreadful. Adebayor's the only one that did anything for you I think, and even that only lasted for what, 1 season?

Then again, you had money to blow, and money available to immediately fix those mistakes

That Barca one is truly terrible, but you still won the league. Dat MIX axis

edit: Can someone fill in the TV watching gaps for me, as somebody with access to all games

Southampton - Fulham
Liverpool - Stoke
Second half of Newcastle - Man Utd
Barca - Madrid
Atletico - Malaga

Where do the Dortmund and Milan matches fit in?

FootballFan

this is something I'll never understand. what was the reason?

If I remember correctly, Pep really wanted David Villa, but Valencia were not selling no matter what. And instead we decided to go for Ibra.

But my main problem is that, in my opinion, Eto'o was just as good, if not better, than Ibra. So maybe I would have been ok with a straight swap. But 49mil plus Eto'o? Seriously, that's something just crazy. I for one was shocked..

Eto'o was a great player for us, always <3

edit

Yep, won the La Liga, club world cup, euro supercup and spanish supercup, CL semis and copa last 16. Still though, the transfers that season were dreadful.

Arnie

De Rossi on the bench, dreaming of the Emptyhad. He'd probably appreciate that coming from Serie A.

Atalanta should be one up.

dc89

That's dreadful. Adebayor's the only one that did anything for you I think, and even that only lasted for what, 1 season?

Then again, you had money to blow, and money available to immediately fix those mistakes

We've always bought the odd stinker. I'll have a look further back later on and see who w bought when we had no money and no money to fix that mistake.

I left Benjani off that list cause he scored at Owed Trafford. He gets immunity from that list.

spidye

If I remember correctly, Pep really wanted David Villa, but Valencia were not selling no matter what. And instead we decided to go for Ibra.

But my main problem is that, in my opinion, Eto'o was just as good, if not better, than Ibra. So maybe I would have been ok with a straight swap. But 49mil plus Eto'o? Seriously, that's something just crazy. I for one was shocked..

Eto'o was a great player for us, always <3

yeah. Eto'o was in his prime and he was easily as good as Ibra. 45m and Eto'o is probably the most expensive transfer ever made.
yes, even more expensive than 90m for Ronaldo, imo.

Kyoufu

Not confident about Newcastle tonight. If Cabaye can hit some form finally, we might have a chance, but if he continues to stink it up,then we are going to get a right stuffing.

He was great on Thursday.

I hope we beat these clowns today.

hadareud

The Translator
A4mLrLQCQAA_bmQ.jpg

FootballFan

yeah. Eto'o was in his prime and he was easily as good as Ibra. 45m and Eto'o is probably the most expensive transfer ever made.
yes, even more expensive than 90m for Ronaldo, imo.

Pep just didn't like Eto'o. Which sucked, Eto'o was still great(top scorer in the season he was sold in :lol). And he proved his worth again at Inter, even after the treble and Mou leaving, he carried Inter and scored 37 goals that season.

He could have stayed in the big Euro clubs for a while longer imo, shame he loves cars so much so he went to Anzhi. Btw he has a Bugatti Veyron haha.

confuziz

Banned
Pep just didn't like Eto'o. Which sucked, Eto'o was still great(top scorer in the season he was sold in :lol). And he proved his worth again at Inter, even after the treble and Mou leaving, he carried Inter and scored 37 goals that season.

He could have stayed in the big Euro clubs for a while longer imo, shame he loves cars so much so he went to Anzhi. Btw he has a Bugatti Veyron haha.

He is on top of the league with Anzhi atm though. So there is a chance he is playing CL again next season.

1) People saying 'the' Arsenal
2) The word 'banter'
3) Commentators and pundits being afraid to use the word 'dive' when discussing a British/Irish player
4) Claiming that a draw/loss is harsh when your result hasn't been affected by the officials/unfortunate circumstance
5) Mark Halsey
6) Everything Eric Cantona ever did being cosidered a stroke of genius
7) Lee Sharpe's dress sense
8) 'Olé'
9) Going over the top when defending the suggestion of bias and incompetence
10) Typical *, leaving things til the last minute/making things hard for ourselves/screwing up when we're on the verge of success
11) Teams that play on with an 'injured' teammate, then expect the other team to put the ball out when they lose it

Can someone fill in the TV watching gaps for me, as somebody with access to all games

Southampton - Fulham
Liverpool - Stoke
Second half of Newcastle - Man Utd
Barca - Madrid
Atletico - Malaga

Where do the Dortmund and Milan matches fit in?

spidye

lol. this makes the fallout between Pep and Ibra even more ironic.
I always liked Eto'o. he was my favourite player in Barca.

A funny story about him. When Eto'o was in Inter he lent his car for one night to his austrian colleague Arnautovic (who now plays for Bremen) and he wrecked Eto'o's car.

FootballFan

Cracking day of football before another bloody international break, give me goals, red cards and streakers today

Hmm. Ronaldo Messi are there for your goals. Pepe and Busquets are there for your reds. And maybe Jimmy Jump will make an appearance as well as a streaker. El Clasico is what you are looking for :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom