• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

wat
anything can happen to anyone in a blink of an eye. You can turn out to need some money from places you could never guessed.

For me, Norway, have change their structure in temrs of scholraships and bursaries and all of the sudden I couldn't pay my tuttion fee. I was really considering borrowing some money.

Some people feel they have no other choice than to go to these people.

elsk

Banned
Meh, he's prolly Honduran so I bet he sucks (j/k lol)
Too bad his name is Romell, not Rommel...we'd sign him in a heartbeat (j/k again)

All the press in Honduras was writing his name as Rommel last year actually. He had to create a twitter account to let everyone know his name is Romell :p

What happened with the polish CAM you were linked to? Wolski or something?

wat
anything can happen to anyone in a blink of an eye. You can turn out to need some money from places you could never guessed.

For me, Norway, have change their structure in temrs of scholraships and bursaries and all of the sudden I couldn't pay my tuttion fee. I was really considering borrowing some money.

My point was: what happens if you can't pay? In India (I just picked that randomly) they'll break your legs and threaten your family if you can't pay, but in UK? Declare bankruptcy, live on welfare, profit (not really).
You were considering going to loan sharks to pay for studying (tuition, etc)? I don't get it.

/
All the press in Honduras was writing his name as Rommel last year actually. He had to create a twitter account to let everyone know his name is Romell :p

What happened with the polish CAM you were linked to? Wolski or something?
Not sure.
1) apparently still too young
2) same asshole agent as Lewandowski

We'll see how it pans out.
Oh shit, lol @ the Rommel part :O
South America by cray.

Yen

Ah, I hate loan sharks as the next guy, but they wouldn't be in business if it wasn't for the stupid people who get those loans - it's not like UK is a third world country where people don't have a choice. I bet you can declare individual bankruptcy and everyone knows about UK's super liberal welfare laws.

My point was: what happens if you can't pay? In India (I just picked that randomly) they'll break your legs and threaten your family if you can't pay, but in UK? Declare bankruptcy, live on welfare, profit (not really).
You were considering going to loan sharks to pay for studying (tuition, etc)? I don't get it.

Rubbish. I wonder what your attitude to this sponsorship would be, if you hadn't heard about Muslim players possibly boycotting it.

Rubbish. I wonder what your attitude to this sponsorship would be, if you hadn't heard about Muslim players possibly boycotting it.

Eh, every time I ranted at Newcastle players was because they made their religion an issue (celebrations, special treatment during fasting).
Can't see how this is one of those cases? This has very vague religious ties imho, they just feel like they're super proper and all halal & such so they don't won't to associate with a shitty firm like that, lol
But an atheist player could have the same sentiments, so I don't care.
I wasn't really downplaying how fucked up loan sharks are, I was just merely pointing out that there there are even worse options out there.
Those new (online) loan sharks and temp job agencies are pretty fucking shitty, no doubt.

Zabojnik

faridmon

I wasn't considering going to a loan shark but taking out loan wherever else was possible. Loan is heavy thing psychologically even if the consequence isn't as big as breaking an arm and a leg. Some people don't have the lexury of gouing to the bank and taking a loan when an emergency happens and it happens.
Yes, there are some stupid people that take money off thsoe loan sharks, but there are people who need the money and have no possible way of getting money anyother means.

I was lucky, because, in the end, I didn't need to borrow the money, but dude in this world terrible things could happen to anyone.

elsk

Banned
I'm kind of excited for Panamá vs. Honduras match on friday. Sounds like it will be a very "open" match.

Your logic is flawed Kyoufu. Lick your Vita. Does it taste like death?

KuGsj.gif

Hmm, I am well aware that people might come across situation where they need money asap and because of their circumstances the only solution is going to the loan shark.
But what situations would that be and what would be the consequence if you didn't have that money (in UK)?
If you become unemployed or suddenly can't continue working for health reasons there's gov. programs to take care of you.
If you're terminally ill and can't work, gov. (/insurance) takes care of you (HNS).

If you don't work are a student and can't continue studying you can still pause, work some and then get back to it (it should be possible in most cases, right?)

So what kind of situations/ppl. does that leave for those loan sharks? I imagine that the vast majority is people who can't afford stuff, but still desperately want it, NOW.

So those firms cater mostly to those people who can't moderate themselves/are blatantly stupid/ignorant.
Since those people probably have horrible payment moral/practices (and therefore can't get the money anywhere else) then why shouldn't a financial institution overcharge them?

If we lived in the third world I wouldn't make that argument, but we don't and as shitty as their business is, it's also sort of legitimate and doesn't really pose a thread to the customer's existence/(physical) health.

This is kinda where I'm coming from.

Hmm, I am well aware that people might come across situation where they need money asap and because of their circumstances the only solution is going to the loan shark.
But what situations would that be and what would be the consequence if you didn't have that money (in UK)?
If you become unemployed or suddenly can't continue working for health reasons there's gov. programs to take care of you.
If you're terminally ill and can't work, gov. (/insurance) takes care of you (HNS).

If you don't work are a student and can't continue studying you can still pause, work some and then get back to it (it should be possible in most cases, right?)

So what kind of situations/ppl. does that leave for those loan sharks? I imagine that the vast majority is people who can't afford stuff, but still desperately want it, NOW.

So those firms cater mostly to those people who can't moderate themselves/are blatantly stupid/ignorant.
Since those people probably have horrible payment moral/practices (and therefore can't get the money anywhere else) then why shouldn't a financial institution overcharge them?

If we lived in the third world I wouldn't make that argument, but we don't and as shitty as their business is, it's also sort of legitimate and doesn't really pose a thread to the customer's existence/(physical) health.

Basically, companies like Wonga claim on two types of people, the desperate and the ignorant.

You go to a company like Wonga when:

-You're living payday by payday, and need an advance to cover an unforeseen expenditure
-You are unaware of the ramifications of borrowing money from them and not being able to pay it back in the tiny window they provide
-You have your priorites mixed up, and think that you need a sum of money immediately to cover things like presents, holidays, school-clothes, whatever
-You're too ashamed to ask for help from family/friends
-You don't have time to apply for welfare, or your financial instability is not deemed bad enough to qualify for it

If you fail to pay it back for too long, they take everything of value to you

Legal loan sharks

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Latest news on Circus A:

Conte, currently serving a four-month touchline ban, could be punished as a result of his Press conference on August 23.

The tactician, who was answering questions after initially being handed a 10-month suspension, is charged for bringing into question the reputation of the sporting justice system.

It is also alleged that he raised doubts about the impartiality of the decisions made ​​and the work of the Federal Prosecutor’s Office.

FIGCUNTS. His ban being reduced earlier didn't sit well with them.

-

Rumour: Dynamo Kiev want Matri.

Bye.

elsk

Banned

My father had to take a loan to pay some energy/water bills and those fuckers took his car.
LLShC.gif

And I agree, I don't see why people would need to take loans on a developed country. Unless you're a lazy idiot.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
So whatever happened to borrowing money from people you know? I'm okay with lending money to my friends.

You are right.

The problem is the type of people that generally go to loan sharks are misinformed and caught up in other problems. They don't evaluate all their options and most likely have been irresponsible anyway, they just see a quick fix by lending this money and after that its too late.

Yen

Funnily enough, Wonga were forced to pull some ads from the air because they suggested people use Wonga because they wanted to wanted to buy "fun" things, whereas, in reality, it's used by people with severe financial problems.

Slizz

So whatever happened to borrowing money from people you know? I'm okay with lending money to my friends.

How much would you be willing to lend and to how many friends would you offer that to?

I dunno if I could lend out 4 digits to a friend.

My father had to take a loan to pay some energy/water bills and those fuckers took his car.
LLShC.gif

And I agree, I don't see why people would need to take loans on a developed country. Unless you're a lazy idiot.
Even in a country like the UK people live in horrific circumstances even after taking the state into account. We are more fortunate than most but there are cases where people are screwed and the state isn't doing enough to help them and they feel they have no other option.

How much would you be willing to lend and to how many friends would you offer that to?

I dunno if I could lend out 4 digits to a friend.

Shame plays a huge part as well. We live in a society where you're judged by your disposable income and financial independence, and a lot of people simply can't bear to ask for help from people they know

Tell me more.

Its insultingly ignorant to throw words like 'lazy' and 'idiot' at every person who finds themself in that position. Undoubtedly, often people find themselves drawn to money-lenders because of a lack of knowledge on the subject or seeing it as a quick-fix in leiu of working or waiting for the money. Some people are just fucked over by life though, and see no other option

Slizz

Shame plays a huge part as well. We live in a society where you're judged by your disposable income and financial independence, and a lot of people simply can't bear to ask for help from people they know

I'm with you. It'd have to be a VERY sticky situation to get me to ask any of my friends for a large sum of money.

elsk

Banned
Even in a country like the UK people live in horrific circumstances even after taking the state into account. We are more fortunate than most but there are cases where people are screwed and the state isn't doing enough to help them and they feel they have no other option.

Well, unless you can't find a job at all, I don't see how taking a loan would be necessary in a developed country. Even with the shittiest job, you get enough money to live. You have healthcare and some social helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom