• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

juanpablo

Banned
Wasn't that a Swansea fan murdered by a Cardiff fan?

So it was only Welsh fans fighting amongst themselves outside Wembley then? Doesn't sound plausible to me but fair enough.

It still doesn't change my perception that there's a nasty element to England's support, y'know, the type who like to sing ''No Surrender" and the like, a chant which no doubt we'll be hearing plenty of when Ireland are at Wembley. Hopefully that game passes off peacefully, but if there are any 'incidents', then it can be pretty safe to assume it won't be Ireland supporters who've instigated it.

operon

We might struggle to fill Landsdowne Road some times, but I thought more Irish fans traveled to the Euros this year than English fans

So it was only Welsh fans fighting amongst themselves outside Wembley then? Doesn't sound plausible to me but fair enough.

It still doesn't change my perception that there's a nasty element to England's support, y'know, the type who like to sing ''No Surrender" and the like, a chant which no doubt we'll be hearing plenty of when Ireland are at Wembley. Hopefully that game passes off peacefully, but if there are any 'incidents', then it can be pretty safe to assume it won't be Ireland supporters who've instigated it.

Well it was only the Wales fans murdering one another, so there's a fucking huge distinction to be drawn there when you go throwing incidents like that in our direction. England fans aren't perfect, and there's still a percentage of them who go looking for a scrap. You seem to be under the impression that its still a trait endemic to us though, when the fact of the matter is that its well under way to being stamped out.

And I wouldn't assume shit when it comes to hooliganism, especially when you try to consider the instigators of a fight bought about by retalition for verbal abuse, which is most probably how it would happen.

From a cursory google search, I can't find a single England arrest at Euro 2012, which is hopefully another step to the eradication of the England hooligan

edit: It was a Cardiff fan killed by Swansea fans. And in that incident at least, only Wales fans were involved by all accounts

juanpablo

Banned
We might struggle to fill Landsdowne Road some times, but I thought more Irish fans traveled to the Euros this year than English fans

Tbf Poland is a lot easier to get to then Ukraine, plus there was a a lot of fierce negative media about the general suitability of Ukraine as a host wrt accomodation, local hooligans, corrupt police and media etc.

Re: Lansdowne ticketing, I think the FAI have reorganised their ticket pricing to take account of the new harsher economic reality we're in. Still a bollocks though that if you miss out on the cheap seats, you gotta pay €100 for 'premium' level.

As an aside, was there ever a hige risk in holding the tournament in Poland/Ukraine, or was it media fear-mongering? Things went a lot smoother than I was expecting

juanpablo

Banned
Well it was only the Wales fans murdering one another, so there's a fucking huge distinction to be drawn there when you go throwing incidents like that in our direction. England fans aren't perfect, and there's still a percentage of them who go looking for a scrap. You seem to be under the impression that its still a trait endemic to us though, when the fact of the matter is that its well under way to being stamped out.

And I wouldn't assume shit when it comes to hooliganism, especially when you try to consider the instigators of a fight bought about by retalition for verbal abuse, which is most probably how it would happen.

From a cursory google search, I can't find a single England arrest at Euro 2012, which is hopefully another step to the eradication of the England hooligan

edit: It was a Cardiff fan killed by Swansea fans. And in that incident at least, only Wales fans were involved by all accounts

The bolded part give's it away for you The_Hitcher89. I have no doubt that element you describe will be out in force for the England - Ireland game next year, there's just something about our great little country that seems to rile the undesirable element of your support. I have no doubt our Anthem will be booed, "No Surrender" will be sung and there'll be plenty of your guys spoiling for a scrap outside the ground.

In addition, and this is purely a personal account, I've never seen any Ireland supporter go ''looking for a scrap" in my time going to games. that kind of thing is anathema to Ireland supporters.

The bolded part give's it away for you The_Hitcher89. I have no doubt that element you describe will be out in force for the England - Ireland game next year, there's just something about our great little country that seems to rile the undesirable element of your support. I have no doubt our Anthem will be booed, "No Surrender" will be sung and there'll be plenty of your guys spoiling for a scrap outside the ground.

In addition, and this is purely a personal account, I've never seen any Ireland supporter go ''looking for a scrap" in my time going to games. that kind of thing is anathema to Ireland supporters.

Of course your anthem will be booed :p

I really do wish we'd stop doing that

I've said that we still have an unfortunate percentage of hooligans, but I don't think its any longer widespread enough to be considered endemic. We'll see at the Ireland game. Hopefully the police will be on their game, as they have been in recent years at England matches.

I don't even know how I got drawn into this, I never said we had particularly good fans :D

edit: Welcome back Salv, quiet afternoon so far for some reason

juanpablo

Banned
Of course your anthem will be booed :p

I really do wish we'd stop doing that

I've said that we still have an unfortunate percentage of hooligans, but I don't think its any longer widespread enough to be considered endemic. We'll see at the Ireland game. Hopefully the police will be on their game, as they have been in recent years at England matches.

I don't even know how I got drawn into this, I never said we had particularly good fans :D

edit: Welcome back Salv, quiet afternoon so far for some reason

I actually don't particularly mind the anthem booing (though obviously it doesn't happen at Ireland games), in fact I'm quite looking forward to drowning out GSTQ with YNBTI at Wembley. That'll really set off the delinquent element of your support!

Moobabe

Is it? Looks boring to me. What are you finding compelling about it?

The world building is its strongest aspect so far - I don't mean just the level design but the realisation of the entire world.

This is a semi item spoiler - so if you want to go in fresh DO NO READ

There's an item which affords you information about locations and people - it's an altered heart that is extremely poetic and troubling. As soon as I'd used it once I knew I'd love the game.

It might not be everyone's cup of tea - but it touches on things like Thief, Deus Ex, Bioshock and the like. Really stunning stuff so far.

I actually don't particularly mind the anthem booing (though obviously it doesn't happen at Ireland games), in fact I'm quite looking forward to drowning out GSTQ with YNBTI at Wembley. That'll really set off the delinquent element of your support!

I think the fans might be used to it by now. The other fans have started booing our anthem in retaliation. Silly lack of respect, at least the English anthem is worth booing :D

fuenf

548585_10151192436929723_398215714_n.jpg

i was bored:

VfExE.jpg

In one day, I read about Milan looking forward to sign: Guardiola (who will ask for 80m euros to buy a bunch of players of his choice), Strootman, Anderson (from Santos, Robinho would be used to lower his price) and Ashley Cole. International breaks are boring for journalists too, apparently.
Ibrahimovic said:
I would like to return to Milan. They know where to find me.
You can come back, you magnificent mercenary. We'll sell somebody else, I don't care. We'll sell Berlusconi, or San Siro, or the Duomo, something will show up.

Salvadora

Why I believe Arsene will get Götze one day #afc
You see that smile that comes across Wenger's face when he mentions Cazorla? Well if you don't, this is the same 'Wenger smile' that came across his face when watching a young Jack Wilshere score a wonder goal for the Reserves (Skip toWatch at Youtube › ).. You see that? that's the smile you get when Wenger talks about Mario Götze.

Arsenal have money. With the new deals coming in and FFP being introduced, things are moving even more in favour of the club. We know Arsene doesn't have a history for spending big, but I just get the feeling he'll go big for Götze. £30m+ big for him. Some

In chats last season, it was clear the Arsenal manager was after a no.10. A man who would pull strings and orchestrate behind the striker. His next Fabregas. Despite us getting Cazorla in the end, who is world class, the name that kept popping up was Götze. I;m assured the boss is a "huge admirer" of him, as well as German players in general. Mertesacker, Podolski, Eisfeld and Gnabry, all recent additions to his Arsenal side. The fluent in German Arsenal manager also has a great relationship with Klopp, the Dortmund boss. The clubs match in their philosophies and approach football the right way, on and off the pitch. There's a connection there that shouldn't be overlooked.

What about the player himself? well, i'm reliably informed that Götze was "extremely impressed" with the Emirates facilities when he played there last season, and that the boss had a "personal conversation with him in German" after the game. Also I'm told that there has been contact, whether official or unofficial, between the clubs about the player in the past. I don't know when, whether it's soon or in a while, but I just know there's something in this.

I genuinely believe Arsene Wenger will get Götze. One day
http://sulia.com/source/S-46013441/f/c704bbf2-0ba2-4bc2-ae86-a355524a3449/
Wenger please.

Salvadora

I can't help but thinking what would've happened if the Mertesacker was playing against Chelsea. Fucking Koscielny has regressed this season, although in saying that Vermaelen wasn't much better in that game.
I doubt Gotze will go for less than 40M. Also will Arsenal be able to offer him high wages that other potential clubs would?

Regardless, he would be a great fit with Arsenal's playing style.

Regardless of new financial deals there is no way we'll match the big wages other clubs will offer.

Clegg

I'm cracking under the pressure. I need Dishonored badly.

BTW there is no chance Arsenal will sign Gotze. Dortmund would be looking for £30m at minimum.

jtb

Banned
I can't help but thinking what would've happened if the Mertesacker was playing against Chelsea. Fucking Koscielny has regressed this season, although in saying that Vermaelen wasn't much better in that game.

Regardless of new financial deals there is no way we'll match the big wages other clubs will offer.

Meh, I'm convinced Vermaelen was responsible for both goals. He's the one who conceded both free kicks. Wenger should've just gone for Arteta getting the captaincy, imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom