• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT5| One word to rule them all

Status
Not open for further replies.

near

Gold Member
Football doesn't work this way, though. If you set up so incorrectly for QPR, and incidentally by the same token Norwich (the other game I watched) what makes you so utterly confident you won't be behind by half time at Old Trafford?

How you played in the second half against QPR isn't how you'll play against United at Old Trafford, and such a suggestion is incredibly naive. AVB thinks himself a master tactician, he'll tinker and tweak.

And I really don't know why you included that gif as a footnote. It's a tackle.

For starters, I did not say I was 'utterly confident' in NOT going down during the first half, now your putting words here that were never said. Secondly you're referencing two games and the ONLY two games we've played poorly for periods of the game and I don't think that's entirely fair.

How we played during the second half against QPR is not a mission statement I made. It was to highlight that once we corrected tactical errors, we knew our weaknesses. AVB is actually very humble and doesn't consider himself a master tactician, and when people compare him to Mourinho he often says how it's an overestimation. Just because he is a very paper and pad manager does not mean he's a know it all. Edit: wtf does AVBs self-belief even have to do with this right now? lol

The gif highlights dedication and determination. You clearly are missing the point. You're clearly just looking for reasons to hate, so unless you're going to say something constructive, it's better not said at all. I've also made it clear that I expect Utd, to probably beat us, but I'm going in optimistic based on what I've seen from us.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
You were booed off at home to QPR less than a week ago.

What does that have to do with anything? We had a shit first half, got booed off and did better in the second and won 2-1 (could have been 7-1 by the end). We haven't been playing particularly fluid football but we have lost our two most technical players from last season. If we're winning while playing average that gives me confidence that we have more quality than most teams.

United have hardly been convincing either, just like Spurs they beat a relegation zone team 2-1 last week without playing very well and have looked a bit rough all season. I expect we will lose today as 99% of teams lose at OT, but I doubt we will get twatted.

Arnie

For starters, I did not say I was 'utterly confident' in NOT going down during the first half, now your putting words here that were never said. Secondly you're referencing two games and the ONLY two games we've played poorly for periods of the game and I don't think that's entirely fair.

Oh, dear lord. We're getting to the point where reading between the lines is a chore. The post I initially quoted talked up your chances of getting a result at Old Trafford based on how you're playing, currently. I pointed out that for half of last weeks match you were so poor your own fans booed you.

United aren't QPR, is my point, or Reading, or Lazio, or even the lacklustre Newcastle you faced on the opening day. You can't set up in the same way, and they can (and will) kill you if you play poorly, unlike QPR.

The gif highlights dedication and determination. You clearly are missing the point.

You're posting random gifs of tackles that don't correlate with anything you're actually talking about, but exist to serve some ancillary message about dedication? If I'm missing the point, you've lost the plot.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Mertesacker dropped for Arsenal. He'd look foolish against Hazard.

Chelsea's Holy Trinity starting, as is Terry. The boos are going to be amazing.

near

Gold Member
Oh, dear lord. We're getting to the point where reading between the lines is a chore. The post I initially quoted talked up your chances of getting a result at Old Trafford based on how you're playing, currently. I pointed out that for half of last weeks match you were so poor your own fans booed you.

United aren't QPR, is my point, or Reading, or Lazio, or even the lacklustre Newcastle you faced on the opening day. You can't set up in the same way, and they can (and will) kill you if you play poorly, unlike QPR.

You're posting random gifs of tackles that don't correlate with anything you're actually talking about, but exist to serve some ancillary message about dedication? If I'm missing the point, you've lost the plot.

Errm... How is "If you set up so incorrectly for QPR, and incidentally by the same token Norwich (the other game I watched) what makes you so utterly confident you won't be behind by half time at Old Trafford?" reading between the lines? Your statement is clear, you mention that the two game we played poorly and used that as an excuse to go into the Utd game and lose. So what if Utd aren't QPR don't you think we know that?

You also initially suggested that because we were booed off we ultimately played shit. Erm... we was the ones booing so I don't understand what your point is?

No the GIF was used as an example, it was from the QPR game 'we was booed off' in the second half were we played much better, that was Verts' effort to keep us in the lead. A tackle which set off an amazing counter attack if you hadn't noticed. So if you don't understand that little I can't help you.

Also WTF does "AVB thinks himself a master tactician, he'll tinker and tweak. " have to do with anything? There is no point in making a statement like that in your argument. All you're doing is making us out to look over ambitious in this game. Your intentions are clear.

Blablurn

hamilton being hamilton

U4CKg.jpg

Salazar

ProDirect are taking their time personalising my boots.

Am wondering whether they are having Mumei-like moral hesitations about printing JT along the side.

near

Gold Member
As are yours. Genuinely not worth trawling through that post of yours. We'll see who's right in a few hours.

LOL?! Are you serious? We'll see in a few hours? Did you even bloody bother reading anything? Quote me where I said we'll win or take a draw from Utd. The only statements I've made are optimism and hope for a draw. So just stop it here, you're acting childish.

The_Joker

it's our birthday today :D

y4pq0.jpg

make sure to watch the choreo at the beginning of the match today (15:30 against hannover) . ..will be the biggest in our history...costs 65.000€...i'm curious to see what it will be... :D

it's our birthday today :D

y4pq0.jpg

make sure to watch the choreo at the beginning of the match today (15:30 against hannover) . ..will be the biggest in our history...costs 65.000€...i'm curious to see what it will be... :D

Will try and catch it. There's going to be lots of HSV banners in Copenhagen tomorrow.

Chelsea

Team: Cech; Ivan, D Luiz, JT (c), Cole; Ram, Mik; Mata, Oscar, Hazard; Torres

Yes... YES YES. Ramires in the middle instead of Lamps is great.

Arnie

LOL?! Are you serious? We'll see in a few hours? Did you even bloody bother reading anything? Quote me where I said we'll win or take a draw from Utd. The only statements I've made are optimism and hope for a draw. So just stop it here, you're acting childish.

I believe your optimism is misguided. You said this is the closest you've come to taking points from United in years, which implies that you believe your current team to be superior to that which has done you so well over the last few years, including the manager who built it. At this moment in time I staunchly disagree, and I think you'll be beaten by a ruthless United side today.

Simple. Cards on table. Oppositional reading to yours. Kick off in just under five hours.

Salazar

#mufc u18s: Gollini Love Rowley McNair Grimshaw Pearson Weir Rothwell Byrne Rudge Daehli (Evans O'Hara Gorré Wilkinson Harrop) #mutv @12.15

This is the lad. Midfield foetus hype continues.

sQbGD.jpg

near

Gold Member
I believe your optimism is misguided. You said this is the closest you've come to taking points from United in years, which implies that you believe your current team to be superior to that which has done you so well over the last few years, including the manager who built it. At this moment in time I staunchly disagree, and I think you'll be beaten by a ruthless United side today.

Simple. Cards on table. Oppositional reading to yours. Kick off in just under five hours.

Your reading comprehension level is like practically zero. And now mine and Spurs' optimism is misguided lol. Okay.

I from a personal stand point think if we'll ever take points off Utd at OT it will be now, not from a current team perspective (I never said that at all), but from a tactical perspective, as I mention in the post in which your took that quote out of context.

I'm going to enjoy the match regardless, whether or not we win or lose you're only satisfaction will lie in proving my optimism wrong which is pathetic. Pull it together mate.

The_Joker

Will try and catch it. There's going to be lots of HSV banners in Copenhagen tomorrow.

thanks... for this game we were allowed to choose our opponent...everybody thought we will choose bayern or dortmund but we chose our friends from hannover 96... so it's gonna be a big party with a lot of H-S-V chants on both sides

Arnie

I from a personal stand point think if we'll ever take points off Utd at OT it will be now, not from a current team perspective (I never said that at all), but from a tactical perspective, as I mention in the post in which your took that quote out of context.

Oh jesus wept. We're back to square one.

Yes, you've said this, and I've suggested that, given what I've seen of Spurs, I don't believe you're that tactically formidable. You've used the half time change last weekend as an example to the contrary, but I don't believe such a change is a direct reason to be confident today, at Old Trafford, against United.

If this Spurs squad is epitomising tactical discipline, whereas last season's squad epitomised something else entirely, to the point where you're more confident of grabbing points today, then I'd suggest the very basis of tactical importance comes into question.

You can win today, sure, you can draw today, without a doubt, will you lost today? In my opinion, probably.
Contemplating picking these up for footy.

They're cheap, good for 3G, and similar to my Adi Pure astros. Just a shame about the orange, wish they were black and white.

I opened an account, deposited £20 and placed a bet earlier with William Hill. They sent me an email asking for age verification, but I won;t be able to get that done until the results are in for the bet I placed. Is the bet void (its still in my open bets,) or will they simply withold the winnings until I've done it?

One problem with Arsenal, and it is something you see several times every game, is that Gibbs and Jenkinson consistently cross into the box even if there is just one man in there. Very annoying

I opened an account, deposited £20 and placed a bet earlier with William Hill. They sent me an email asking for age verification, but I won;t be able to get that done until the results are in for the bet I placed. Is the bet void (its still in my open bets,) or will they simply withold the winnings until I've done it?

Call them up

Surely Ox, Theo and Gerv are better options?

Depends on how we want to play. Ramsey can come inside and protect the back four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom