• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

After discussing it this past week the gf and I made Rice balls. They were really good. Here was the finished product:
fphzi.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why are Arsenal playing in slow motion. Its like they are not even trying.

This is what they've been like for the last 2 years. Except they don't have RVP anymore. Arsenal were often sluggish and too pretty but RVP would convert the most difficult half chances and the performance was papered over.

Well I'm assuming Cleverley or Wilshere is slotting into the forward most position in a middle three, and Wilshere's a much greater goal threat than Cleverley, as is Shelvey.

Cleverley could slot into the midfield position alongside an experienced player like Gerrard/Carrick/Lampard, but in two years I fully expect Shelvey to have eclipsed Cleverley in overall worth to the England first 11.

Ah, so the underlying argument is basically that it is a given the Shelvey will be a first 11 fixture in the England team. Let's just say you (unsurprisingly) have considerably more confidence in his development than I.

Well, Hodgson seems to switch between playing a 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1, so assuming you have a DM & Wilshere as a midfield 2, the 3rd position would either be taken by a striker or someone to play 'in the hole'. Shelvey, as an example, would be far more suited to playing in the advanced position than Cleverley even if he still has a long way to develop. Unless England switch to more of a 4-3-3 then it's difficult for Cleverley to fit.

I think Cleverley is better able to play in a midfield 2 than Shelvey. I also think he can shift roles in central midfield more capably than Shelvey - be it deep midfield build up or last third intricacy. In fact, the only thing I think Shelvey does better currently is kick the ball harder. He's much more likely to go for a long range shot or a Gerrard-eque Hollywood ball than Cleverley.

I think that having a holding midielder with two smaller more intricate players in Wilshere and Cleverley would be a quite intriguing shift in philosophy for England, as opposed to always needing Gerrard/Lampard/Carrick Hollywood ball style midfielder in there.

Alucard

Banned
Take Ramsey off at half-time please.

Gervinho time?

That was a very tepid first half for Arsenal. The tempo just isn't there. They're playing awkwardly and just seem to randomly be kicking the ball around without any real rhythm or purpose. They're not playing as a cohesive unit, and that needs to change if they are to have success.

fuenf

I dont get it. I thought playing in the snow would level the playing field for Freiburg, but it looks like they cant even complete a single pass, let alone move foward. :(

Hixx

Another 45 mins without a shot on target. Keeping the ball better but... playing against Stoke. 0-0 all over this, not changed my mind after 45 mins.

Need another goal in the Fulham and Wigan matches, need Arsenal to win (lol) and less than 5 goals in the Sunderland match (lulz)

Scratch that, Celtic have fucked it up by the looks of it. And Malaga

No more betting after CL matches for me

Arnie

Ah, so the underlying argument is basically that it is a given the Shelvey will be a first 11 fixture in the England team. Let's just say you (unsurprisingly) have considerably more confidence in his development than I.

Considering he's competing admirably for a position alongside Nuri Sahin at the age of 20, I'd say your pessimism is anchored by your club allegiance, rather than common sense.

I think Cleverley is better able to play in a midfield 2 than Shelvey. I also think he can shift roles in central midfield more capably than Shelvey - be it deep midfield build up or last third intricacy. In fact, the only thing I think Shelvey does better currently is kick the ball harder. He's much more likely to go for a long range shot or a Gerrard-eque Hollywood ball than Cleverley.

Yet Shelvey's put in a top performance as a holding midfielder against City, and been able to score goals and impact games as an attacking midfielder, like he did in Europe against Young Boys.

No offense, but I don't think you know what you're on about, and the Shelvey versus Cleverley arguments been dragged out enough already.

Clegg

Why are Arsenal so shite?

They used to be the best in the league at slick passing and movement. Now it's sideways pass to static midfielder followed by another pass to a static midfielder.

Top Bottom