• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Arnie

Okay, I have trolled a lot in the past, but this post is serious:

I really don't know what Cleverley can offer England if Wilshere manages to stay fit. They're almost exactly the same player, but Wilshere does it better.

Wilbur

Banned

I really don't know what Cleverley can offer England if Wilshere manages to stay fit. They're almost exactly the same player, but Wilshere does it better.

Yeah, this is true.

Salvadora

Don't think anyone will argue that Wilshere isn't light-years better than Cleverly.

GorillaJu

Well, when it comes to the first XI in big games, Wilshere will be preferred over Cleverly, but in the world cup, etc. you need more than just one first XI.

Arnie

I rate Cleverley too, I must add, but Wilshere's an all round better player in exactly the same mould and three years earlier into his development. Both of them harbour question marks about their fitness, though.

Well, when it comes to the first XI in big games, Wilshere will be preferred over Cleverly, but in the world cup, etc. you need more than just one first XI.
Of course.

Cleverley will be in the squad, but I can't see him being a preferred starter in the grand scheme of things.

But if you're playing 3 in midfield, wouldn't you eventually play them together with a holding midfielder? Can't play the diminishing Gerrard forever, fuck Lampard and Shelvey while good isn't there yet.

Tc91

FM Help: Barca just bid £45m for Rooney. Now Rooney was shocking last season for me scoring only 14 goals in 47 games. Sell or keep?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Lippi won the Chinese Super League title with his Guangzhou Evergrande today <3

kMckm.jpg

Arnie

But if you're playing 3 in midfield, wouldn't you eventually play them together with a holding midfielder? Can't play the diminishing Gerrard forever, fuck Lampard and Shelvey while good isn't there yet.

Well I'm assuming Cleverley or Wilshere is slotting into the forward most position in a middle three, and Wilshere's a much greater goal threat than Cleverley, as is Shelvey.

Cleverley could slot into the midfield position alongside an experienced player like Gerrard/Carrick/Lampard, but in two years I fully expect Shelvey to have eclipsed Cleverley in overall worth to the England first 11.

sohois

Well, Hodgson seems to switch between playing a 4-4-2 and 4-2-3-1, so assuming you have a DM & Wilshere as a midfield 2, the 3rd position would either be taken by a striker or someone to play 'in the hole'. Shelvey, as an example, would be far more suited to playing in the advanced position than Cleverley even if he still has a long way to develop. Unless England switch to more of a 4-3-3 then it's difficult for Cleverley to fit.

GorillaJu

It drives me nuts when defenders or goalkeepers do something really cheeky and show confidence and skill on the ball, and the commentators just say "WHAT THE FUCK IS HE DOING DID HE FORGET HE'S A DEFENDER?" as if every time you have the ball you just have to boot the sucker down the pitch.

Not many goals today. I have both teams to score, doesn't look like its happening.

Stevenage v Swindon
Barnsley v Nott Forest
Blackburn v Watford
Crawley v Oldham

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Arsenal used to be able to dish it out better than anyone. One of the dirtiest, toughest teams in PL history. Now they are so lightweight.

Don't think England have the threat on the wings and up front to integrate 2 centre midfielders who keep the ball well but offer little in direct attack. Think a holder-Wilshere-Shelvey combo could work well in a couple of years

Cazorla's in decline, Arsenal should cash in

Clegg

This hasn't been the most riveting of Saturdays.

More goals plz.

I think Clev would be a very handy sub to have. Not sure if he has the quality to be a permanent fixture in the England starting XI though.

GQman2121

Banned
Taarabt has been really quite this season. He sure fell off after last season.

Out of interest, have City come out with any Peter Kenyon-like bullshit about becoming self-sufficient in the near future?

I'm sure they want to build their academy compound first. Have they broke ground on that project yet?

Top Bottom