• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootballFan

So Sav and Lawro picked their team of the season so far. It was:

Friedel
Jenkinson Cahill Coloccini Baines
Sterling Fellaini Mata Pienaar
RVP Michu

Reckon I'd have Suarez > Michu and Hazard > Sterling at least.

Anyway, what's yours?

Hazard should be in there for Sterling, and Suarez for Pienaar in a 4-3-3. Rafael somewhere in there too. Hard to really pick I guess.

Pablo Hernandez will be in it by the end of the season :D

Nah probably not, but he is awesome, was happy to see him score against Chelsea.(Laudrup hadn't been using him even though he is Swanseas record signing because of Dyer and Routledge playing so well)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Friedel

RVP Michu

Anyway, what's yours?

I suppose when you actually think about it...he probably has been the best so far this season.

My team would be:

Friedel
Rafael Mertesacker Jagielka Baines
Sandro Ramires
Mata Fellaini Tevez
Van Persie

Wes

venison crêpe
If we were all together in, say, a football stadium when the zombie apocalypse started who do you think would come a cropper to them first?

Clegg

What happened to the Steve Bould effect?

MotD were showing Evra's goal and he just walked in between Vermaelen and Mertesacker to score his header.

Hixx

I suppose when you actually think about it...he probably has been the best so far this season.

My team would be:

Friedel
Rafael Mertesacker Jagielka Baines
Sandro Ramires
Mata Fellaini Tevez
Van Persie

Mignolet has been the best keeper in the league this season. Jaaskelainen has been good after a shaky start, Cech also been good.

My team of the season so far would be:

Mannone

Jenkinson Mertesacker Vermaelen Santos

Arteta Ramsey
Cazorla

Gervinho Giroud Podolski

lol

Ushojax

If you ignore the Southampton fixture, Arsenal have scored 9 goals in 9 games. That's of far more concern than the goals they are giving away.

Mignolet has been the best keeper in the league this season. Jaaskelainen has been good after a shaky start, Cech also been good.

I forgot about Mignolet, he has been good, Cech too. Jussi has been shit though, I watched the City game and he was dropping balls all over the place. Past it now.

Sloosha

If we were all together in, say, a football stadium when the zombie apocalypse started who do you think would come a cropper to them first?

Meus is not a fan of defensive formations so would probably favor getting stuck in. I'm not too sure of his proficiency with a chainsaw-on-a-paddle.

FootballFan

Andres would probably try and sleep with most of the zombies.

Messi would supply us with kits so we can tell who is on our side easier.

Fady would try and make peace.

All I know is we throw the Madridistas in the frontline.

How come Zombies have become such a popular thing these last years?

GorillaJu

Friedel
RVP Michu

Anyway, what's yours?

Good team. I'd make those two changes you made, but I'd put Ivanovic at right back and Vertonghen at CB over Cahill.

And yeah, Mignolet over Friedel.

Wes

venison crêpe
Is 4-2-3-1 the path to salvation for Lambert and Villa?

The suspicion is that some managers arrange their teams in 4-2-3-1 formations simply because, right now, it is a terribly fashionable system. For Paul Lambert, though, the configuration could prove a godsend. For a start it provides the renascent Stephen Ireland with a supportive framework in which to deploy his improvisational talent. Meanwhile the holding roles look made for young Barry Bannan and Ashley Westwood, the former Crewe midfielder, who is one to keep an eye on. Last but not least, a slightly withdrawn attacking position suits Gabriel Agbonlahor's pacy counter-attacking instincts and Christian Benteke appears a perfect fit for the lone striker's job. Louise Taylor

From the Guardian's 10 talking points from this weekend's action.

I couldn't agree more.It's the best system for us and is another reason why Bent will be leaving in January. Where would he go? Liverpool? Fulham? Is he too unfashionable (read: English) for Arsenal?

Wilbur

Banned

Friedel
RVP Michu

Anyway, what's yours?

Howard; Rafael, Jagielka, Cahill, Baines; Fellaini, Yacob; Suarez, Mata, Hazard; van Persie

Guzan, Coloccini, Collins, Pienaar, Arteta, Ba, Michu on the bench

Wes

venison crêpe
Oh I still predict United to beat us. We have had too many injuries in defence to have a consistent back 4 for a couple of games.

We're still finding out our best partnership in midfield too. I prefer Bannan over Delph and Westwood played well in his debut - worthy of consideration.

Salazar

Sal, just saw a Wonder Girls MV on TV. Complete global saturation.

OXIjC.gif

This one ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EZTUYwjWBs

:lol Wonder Girls ain't ever going to give up. They're like Arsenal. So cute.

GorillaJu

The only way to deal with k-pop is to run away as soon as it's being played. Otherwise you're looking at 60+ hours of girly pop diddies stuck in your head.

Ushojax

Glyfi attempted just one more pass than Sandro on Saturday despite replacing him after 23 minutes. I really like Gylfi but he is a million miles away from last season. The pressure of stepping up to a top 4 club?

bud

blablurn

let's make a deal

let's do a trade

bayern can have santos

completely free of charge

arsenal will still pay his salary

give arsenal alaba or contento

arsenal will pay his salary

blablurn

let's make a deal

Blablurn

blablurn

let's make a deal

let's do a trade

bayern can have santos

completely free of charge

arsenal will still pay his salary

give arsenal alaba or contento

arsenal will pay his salary

blablurn

let's make a deal

you are better than this!

u can have contento though!

Arnie

Glyfi attempted just one more pass than Sandro on Saturday despite replacing him after 23 minutes. I really like Gylfi but he is a million miles away from last season. The pressure of stepping up to a top 4 club?

At least that pressure's short lived.

Sad to hear about Gaborn. I used to think a lot about my own mortality especially after my little sister died, but after I read Norwegian Wood my perspective changed a lot on death. I pretty much just accept things how they are.

A few pages back, but yea, this book did wonders on helping me chill out about things out of my control, death specifically.

I also stay out of those threads, because all I think about is Ivan Drago saying, "if he dies, he dies", from Rocky IV.

From the Guardian's 10 talking points from this weekend's action.

I couldn't agree more.It's the best system for us and is another reason why Bent will be leaving in January. Where would he go? Liverpool? Fulham? Is he too unfashionable (read: English) for Arsenal?

I'd be entirely alright with seeing Bent leave, which is the sad/scary part. I said it last year that I thought we could part with him when we were struggling as well. I really do love Benteke and think he is going to be a superduperstar. More so than Bannan.

I think Bannan and El Ahmadi as our holding midfielders would be great, with Westwood and Delph in rotation. I don't rate Herd much, but think he could be a good FB. I don't think he is great on the ball, but he works hard, and isn't terrible at marking.

I didn't think Ireland played that well on Saturday, but maybe I only noticed the plays where he gave the ball away, which I counted at least 4 times that happened. Obviously he fits that central attacking role for our team though.

Who plays the left side of the field for us though? Agbonlahor? N'Zogbia? Holman? Doesn't N'Zogbia prefer the right side, which is where Albrighton plays? I guess Gabby and Charlie can probably play on either side of the pitch, but I don't think Albrighton can play on the left. And I think Holman can slot into any of the three spots across that attacking line.

Does that make our depth at striker go Benteke, Weimann, Agbonlahor (assuming Bent is gone of course).

I still think if we could find a way to fit Benteke and Bent up front we could have a pretty lethal attack. Benteke wins everything that comes near him, and Bent will be able to poach plenty of things Benteke heads down to him.

EDIT: I forgot to address our backline.

I think Vlaar and Clark is a strong central partnership, and, for now, Dunne is a good enough player to rotate when we need him, but I really think we need to purchase another centerback. I also think Lichaj is still too raw to be seeing regular time, and I hate seeing him start (which makes me sad because, you know, American, Chicagoan, etc.). I really do like Lowton and Bennett though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom