• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nyx

Guzan has been immense since replacing Given. Whilst his ability ceiling is relatively low for typical Premiership standards he has been in great form for us this season and we wouldn't even have the small amount of points we have now without him.

Plus I've never liked the idea of buying a keeper in January to go straight in to the first team. They need time to build a rapport with your defenders, something best done in the Summer. Given will leave in the Summer and we may get a replacement then depending on where we finis hin the league.

Hmmm well I only see match highlights of Villa ofc on MotD, but Gusan (or Given for that matter) never pleased me tbh.
I've felt for quite a few seasons now that you have mediocre goalies at best.

I agree with your 2nd point though, so I guess we'll have to wait and see next summer.

Still need to visit Villa Park one day!

Facism

Gold Member
anybody got any tips on dealing with virgin media? I've been paying 26 quid fo 10mb broadband for years. L:ast time i tried to ring them up all i got was a scouse cunt on the other end of the phone screaming at me.

Salvadora

ibmwep6LLBwDkp.gif

i6m8fTeP7Kcqc.gif

Thanks.
anybody got any tips on dealing with virgin media? I've been paying 26 quid fo 10mb broadband for years. L:ast time i tried to ring them up all i got was a scouse cunt on the other end of the phone screaming at me.
We got it down to like 17.50 by saying we were going to switch.

kharma45

I just threatened to cancel and they knocked £15 a month off my bill.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm procrastinating like fuck. Got a 1500 word essay in for 12 tomorrow, which means I need to leave at 10 to get into uni. 37 words written.

fuuuu

Wes

venison crêpe

Threaten to switch.

My parents were paying £26 p/m for 2MB broadband from BT. I called them as "the concerned son" and got it down to £17.25 p/m. They've since been upgraded to 16MB connection and are still on that rate.

Also the guy I spoke to on BT said they can offer cheaper deals over the phone than they offer online.

K1LLER7

So in the summer I remember reading that Fergie wanted to transform this United side into one that plays like Dortmund.

Now that we're 10+ games into the season, I'm starting to see that it might be true.We're not there yet. Like Lewandowski, We have a clinical finisher in RVP. The pace down the wings, a ceative mid/goal scorer in Rooney/Kagawa. two deeper midfielders to hold the ball in Cleverly and Carrick. The biggest difference i've seen is that we are pressing high up the pitch. one of the 2 deeper midfielders would press high along with Rooney and RVP. This happened against Arsenal where both Cleverly and Rooney would press and win the ball. Against Chelsea we scored due to high pressing from Anderson, Chicha and Giggs. The passing is getting there and bringing Kagawa in will only improve the passing and tempo once he settles in with the team. Once he returns, like Wilbury said, i'd like to see him behind the striker like he was at Dortmund and have RVP, Kagawa and Rooney rotate on the left side throughout the game.

Also, I prefer the formation that we use now, a 4-5-1 of sorts, over a narrow 4-3-3. We seem more threatening and look more likely to score on the break with wide players. I'm hoping that if Nani leaves, we bring in a winger that takes players on, a good dribbler of the ball. Someone who isn't afraid to take players on in 1v1 situations.

Wes

venison crêpe
I'm procrastinating like fuck. Got a 1500 word essay in for 12 tomorrow, which means I need to leave at 10 to get into uni. 37 words written.

fuuuu

My solution is this: close the browser you typically use. Even delete the shortcuts if necessary. If you have to use a browser for accessing research materials then install another browser you don't normally use. No bookmarks, less likely to look at familiar time wasting sites.

Wilbur

Banned
My solution is this: close the browser you typically use. Even delete the shortcuts if necessary. If you have to use a browser for accessing research materials then install another browser you don't normally use. No bookmarks, less likely to look at familiar time wasting sites.

Yeah, gonna do that. See you all in a few hours.

Clegg

fuuuu

Last Thursday I had a 2000 word essay due for 5pm the next day.

Finished it well before the deadline. You'll be fine.

K1LLER7

Last Thursday I had a 2000 word essay due for 5pm the next day.

Finished it well before the deadline. You'll be fine.

I end up going over the word count :lol

hate having to find references. I know what i'm writing is right, but having to find references takes the pi*s.

Clegg

I end up going over the word count :lol

hate having to find references. I know what i'm writing is right, but having to find references takes the pi*s.

I should probably mention that I basically had the essay done weeks ago. I had a 500 word essay plan completed and all my sources, references and quotes ready to use. I just waited until the last second to actually type the thing out.

Facism

Gold Member
cheers chaps. Last time i rang i threatened to switch and the cunt just hung up on me. I was being perfectly nice, too.

Anyway, looks like BT are offering me more for less than Virgin so i might just tell em to fuck off.

Anderson

Anyone got any tips for doing your personal statement, hit a brick wall and all I've got so far is a bunch of cliches and the marathon I ran 3 years ago

K1LLER7

Anyone got any tips for doing your personal statement, hit a brick wall and all I've got so far is a bunch of cliches and the marathon I ran 3 years ago

My name is Anderson, the same name as the best midfielder in the PL even though he can only play 65mins a match. :p

Wilbur

Banned
Dammit, I was so going to offer to write your paper. What is the topic? I can crank out 1500 words in 45 minutes.

I can do it easy enough, when I get into mode I'm fine. My brain is like a kettle. It's boiling and boiling and my head is going "right pretty soon I really have to do this fucking essay" and then when it whistles I go "I'M FUCKING DOING IT" and I can do the whole thing in an hour with no planning and get relatively good marks. I just haven't hit that point yet.

Question is:

Choose a film adapted from a book, story, play or graphic novel. Discuss the key issues relevant to the adaptation process for that work. Issues you might choose to discuss (and define) include questions of fidelity and what that specifically means, the demands of the particular forms involved (i.e., how do the requirements of cinema differ from prose/comics/drama etc.), audience and industry expectations for that work, genre questions and conventions, etc.. You might examine the adaptation in terms of such elements as story, style, character/narration, theme, etc.. Text which have been adapted more than once are fair game for consideration and discussion.

Clegg

So in the summer I remember reading that Fergie wanted to transform this United side into one that plays like Dortmund.

Now that we're 10+ games into the season, I'm starting to see that it might be true.We're not there yet. Like Lewandowski, We have a clinical finisher in RVP. The pace down the wings, a ceative mid/goal scorer in Rooney/Kagawa. two deeper midfielders to hold the ball in Cleverly and Carrick. The biggest difference i've seen is that we are pressing high up the pitch. one of the 2 deeper midfielders would press high along with Rooney and RVP. This happened against Arsenal where both Cleverly and Rooney would press and win the ball. Against Chelsea we scored due to high pressing from Anderson, Chicha and Giggs. The passing is getting there and bringing Kagawa in will only improve the passing and tempo once he settles in with the team. Once he returns, like Wilbury said, i'd like to see him behind the striker like he was at Dortmund and have RVP, Kagawa and Rooney rotate on the left side throughout the game.

Also, I prefer the formation that we use now, a 4-5-1 of sorts, over a narrow 4-3-3. We seem more threatening and look more likely to score on the break with wide players. I'm hoping that if Nani leaves, we bring in a winger that takes players on, a good dribbler of the ball. Someone who isn't afraid to take players on in 1v1 situations.

I can see where you're coming from with your comparison. But imo the area where United fall down in your Dortmund comparison is in midfield. They have two hard working DMs in Kehl and Bender who aren't afraid to tackle like madmen and disrupt the oppositions play. Then they have Gundogan, another hard working but technically gifted CM that isn't afraid to track back either.

United just don't have that in midfield. Carrick isn't a DM. He anticipates the oppositions passes rather than putting a tackle in. This is fine in itself but when our midfield starts to get overrun he doesn't have the physicality of mobility to keep up. Clev is a hard working CM but isn't as good technically as Gundogan. Our most dynamic midfielder is probably Anderson but he's been plagued by injuries, inconsistency and fitness problems. I still have high hopes for him though.

I think we have the quality up front to match the very best in Europe. Rooney, RVP, Kagawa (when he settles) are a brilliant attacking trio. And we have able back ups in Hernendez and Welbeck. But our midfield is still very much lacking. Maybe Ando will come good and we'll only need one quality CM signing, rather than two.

Wes

venison crêpe
Question is:

Choose a film adapted from a book, story, play or graphic novel. Discuss the key issues relevant to the adaptation process for that work. Issues you might choose to discuss (and define) include questions of fidelity and what that specifically means, the demands of the particular forms involved (i.e., how do the requirements of cinema differ from prose/comics/drama etc.), audience and industry expectations for that work, genre questions and conventions, etc.. You might examine the adaptation in terms of such elements as story, style, character/narration, theme, etc.. Text which have been adapted more than once are fair game for consideration and discussion.

I'd do Tangled.

K1LLER7

I can see where you're coming from with your comparison. But imo the area where United fall down in your Dortmund comparison is in midfield. They have two hard working DMs in Kehl and Bender who aren't afraid to tackle like madmen and disrupt the oppositions play. Then they have Gundogan, another hard working but technically gifted CM that isn't afraid to track back either.

United just don't have that in midfield. Carrick isn't a DM. He anticipates the oppositions passes rather than putting a tackle in. This is fine in itself but when our midfield starts to get overrun he doesn't have the physicality of mobility to keep up. Clev is a hard working CM but isn't as good technically as Gundogan. Our most dynamic midfielder is probably Anderson but he's been plagued by injuries, inconsistency and fitness problems. I still have high hopes for him though.

I think we have the quality up front to match the very best in Europe. Rooney, RVP, Kagawa (when he settles) are a brilliant attacking trio. And we have able back ups in Hernendez and Welbeck. But our midfield is still very much lacking. Maybe Ando will come good and we'll only need one quality CM signing, rather than two.

I see where your going from and agree.

The main positive is that we press higher now which is good to see. Hope Anderson gets a game in the CL and carries on the good form.

Arnie

fuuuu

Got a 2000 word essay on Free Speech for next Monday. Want to lock myself away in the library today and get it out of the way. Luckily I've already compiled a shitload of quotes from related sources so my actual input is stitching all the arguments together and then addind some flavour in at the end.

I've got some chinese noodle thing in a pot as a reward when I hit 500 words. Buzzing for it, on 84 now.
Show of hands please. Who is getting Halo 4?

Me, although tomorrow's mega busy. Got to film Wednesday versus Blackpool in the evening too, and I don't even get the luxury of seeing a Holloway press conference.

It's a good thing I'm just ridiculous at Halo anyway, don't even need to play it to keep up with the kiddies. my BR is sickzzz

Arnie

Best Halo was original Halo for PC.

I love Halo, but if I had a mouse and keyboard at my disposal I'd probably rather play Counter Strike. On console though, Halo all the way.
*raises hand*

I'd have it now if shopto/Royal Mail weren't mugs.

After my Amazon debacle I ordered from Shopto this morning and they said it'll be delivered tomorrow. Pretty incredible considering the efficiency of it all, they even include a photograph of the package as it's in transit. First class delivery for free, as standard, too.

WJD

After my Amazon debacle I ordered from Shopto this morning and they said it'll be delivered tomorrow. Pretty incredible considering the efficiency of it all, they even include a photograph of the package as it's in transit. First class delivery for free, as standard, too.

Yeah, they're normally very good. I'm just annoyed cause it's Halo :(

Wes

venison crêpe
I can't play FPSs on consoles at all. Last console FPS I was any decent at was Perfect Dark for the N64.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom