• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fry

edit: :lol ^Fry. But yeah, Zodiac is my favorite of Fincher's too. That and Fight Club.

:lol
iqf9r2mj0Xiu3.png

I don't know if I prefer Se7en or Fight Club (as my third favorite). As of today I'm a little tired of both because of the many times I've watched them, and that makes a negative impact when I try to choose a favorite. But it's probably Se7en.

Fry

The anti-CoD crowd are so fucking annoying.

I got MW3 with my sister's boyfriend and I thought I'd play like crazy since my last one was CoD 4. Barely touched until this day. Probably because of Fifa, but meh, it's been 3 days since I took a break from it and didn't even had the desire to play CoD.

I think I'm done with this gen's FPSs. The genre peaked with Bioshock/CoD4/Halo Reach (these two being REALLY GREAT because of the multiplayer).

I might get H4 because of the multiplayer, though. It's just so good.

After the latest example of accusations of refereeing bias towards Man Utd, it'll be interesting to see whether or not the controversy surrounding the Chelsea game will influence Mike Dean's officiating. It may work in our favour; goodness knows we've been on the opposite end of the stick when it comes to decisions at Old Trafford

jtb

Banned
The book is overrated. The premise (which wasn't touched upon) is more interesting than the story.

Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The premise was the least interesting part of it (though, admittedly, I hate sci-fi that's really shallow and up-front about it being an allegory or an excuse to explore a thought provoking question). Plus, I just love the voice, the character of Kathy H. so much; she's more human than most of the characters I read in novels (which is, of course, the point).

:lol
iqf9r2mj0Xiu3.png

I don't know if I prefer Se7en or Fight Club (as my third favorite). As of today I'm a little tired of both because of the many times I've watched them, and that makes a negative impact when I try to choose a favorite. But it's probably Se7en.

Haha, Se7en is great but I just love Fight Club. Goddamn, film is funnier than most comedies. I hate the cult that it's spawned of people that completely misread the film, but it's still thought provoking... enough and is well-acted, incredibly clever, and very sharp and effective satire.

Also gotta agree with what you said in the SW thread, walrus; Shawshank is definitely not a great film. Didn't like it at all.

Never been a fan. It's incredibly tedious and goes over questions that have been answered many times before far more effectively. But it's got Morgan Freeman, so it must be great.

edit:
Watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes

I'm a big fan. Now there's blockbuster formula done right.

Wilbur

Banned
After the latest example of accusations of refereeing bias towards Man Utd, it'll be interesting to see whether or not the controversy surrounding the Chelsea game will influence Mike Dean's officiating. It may work in our favour; goodness knows we've been on the opposite end of the stick when it comes to decisions at Old Trafford

I would like to think no, that it'll be judged fairly but... its Premier League referees innit. I don't think we'll lose (might draw though) unless the ref drops a fucking clanger.

Fry

Watching Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Fixed.

Haha, Se7en is great but I just love Fight Club. Goddamn, film is funnier than most comedies. I hate the cult that it's spawned of people that completely misread the film, but it's still thought provoking... enough and is well-acted, incredibly clever, and very sharp and effective satire.

Yeah, it was really funny. I remember watching it with my friends (we were all first timers). The dick in the end got us cracking up :lol :lol

I got MW3 with my sister's boyfriend and I thought I'd play like crazy since my last one was CoD 4. Barely touched until this day. Probably because of Fifa, but meh, it's been 3 days since I took a break from it and didn't even had the desire to play CoD.

I think I'm done with this gen's FPSs. The genre peaked with Bioshock/CoD4/Halo Reach (these two being REALLY GREAT because of the multiplayer).

I've never played MW3. I must have played 500+ hours of MW2, but 3 looked like it was moving in a direction that didn't appeal to me. And I never played single player

Arnie

Arnie did you ever finish Deadwood?

No, marooned on season 2 still. Work load's pretty hectic at the moment, and I'm doing a lot of reading and watching television and managing Napoli in my rare spare time. I'll get around to it soon and pick up steam again.

Bed time now, I'm in one of those states where my brain'll just evaporate once my eyes close. Can't wait to lose all sense of perspective and reality and fall into a warm dream.

Wilbur

Banned
Never been a fan. It's incredibly tedious and goes over questions that have been answered many times before far more effectively. But it's got Morgan Freeman, so it must be great.

edit:

I'm a big fan. Now there's blockbuster formula done right.

Ugh, FUCK MORGAN FREEMAN. Plays himself in every fucking film ever, don't think I've ever seen an actor with so little range. He's fucking shit.

Haven't seen ROTPOTAJKLOLGTFO but looks pretty good. I like monkeys. Fight Club is also fucking great but like Fry says I've seen it a million times so won't watch it again for a while.

edit: Arnie, sweet. I'm on like Sopranos s1, ep11 but haven't watched for like 3 weeks because I've been so busy

sneaky77

I don't really care for COD or those type of fps' but I am loving the crap outta Borderlands 2 and have enjoyed other shooters for what they were like singularity,

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Pulp Fiction yes.

Is there some Avatar news that just came out? They've been showing the xxx version on tv the last couple of days so I thought some news broke. My twitter feed is pretty much just sports

Fry8 said:
Messi Live Blog #4163

lol

Wilbur

Banned
I still haven't watched No Country For Old Men or There Will Be Blood. I won't be watching the former until I've read the book :p

Film's better than the book despite being pretty much word for word. There's only one scene I'd have from the book that isn't in the film (if memory serves me right) but they're both fantastic. TWBB is brilliant as well.

2007 was amazing.

Fry

looked like it was moving in a direction

Fake. They don't move to any directions, it's always more-of-the-same. :p

How could anyone rank Zodiac above Fight club and Se7en! Madness!!!!

One of the best movies of the past decade. It's an underappreciated masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuUJ-Scbeg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFN4Bb7wcog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2esJ_ypn7Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8T4oEin_Ms

Can't find the scene in the end where Robert goes to David with all of his findings about Leigh. That and much more.

GorillaJu

Never Let me Go is a decent book. I love how you slowly unravel the story, but that's not really the point. The way some emotions are described in almost robotically practical fashion is so refreshing.

It's not perfect but its well written, readable and satisfying.

I never knew Fincher directed Panic Room. That's a good one.

Dishonored talk: It seems like people's fears were realised. I'm only on the first target, but the game is terrible at giving you clues as to where to go. Its also already given me a sub-objective with no hint as to whether I can do it now, whether I have to wait, or where I have to go to complete it. I'm not turning objective focus/highlights on, so I guess I'll have to wing it

All it needed was a fucking overworld map.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Wilbury when did you watch Shawshank? I can't believe you hated it..

Fry I liked Zodiac, I really did. But Fincher was trying to pull a Se7en with it, and he couldn't.

GorillaJu

Film's better than the book despite being pretty much word for word. There's only one scene I'd have from the book that isn't in the film (if memory serves me right) but they're both fantastic. TWBB is brilliant as well.

2007 was amazing.

Yep. The book was ok at best, the movie incredible. It's word for word, but the monologue from the book is shifted around to different characters in the movie which breaks the monotony and keeps the pace moving.

TWBB is a completely different type of movie but amazing.

GorillaJu

Dishonored talk: It seems like people's fears were realised. I'm only on the first target, but the game is terrible at giving you clues as to where to go. Its also already given me a sub-objective with no hint as to whether I can do it now, whether I have to wait, or where I have to go to complete it. I'm not turning objective focus/highlights on, so I guess I'll have to wing it

All it needed was a fucking overworld map.

Lol WHAT?! Do you skip all the dialog and refuse to explore? I had no problem finding anything in that game except once I couldn't find where Samuel was when I was supposed to meet him.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbury when did you watch Shawshank? I can't believe you hated it..

A few years ago. Just think its overly sentimental tripe. Freeman's bad, Robbins has done far better work, its trite and boring and melodramatic I refuse to believe a bunch of prisoners would stand and simultaneously ejaculate in their pants when someone plays something over the fucking radio.

jtb

Banned
I hope Serkis got awards for this movie. Did he?

No :(

2007 was amazing.

I dunno, I'm a big fan of Cormac McCarthy but the adaptation is pretty great too. 2007 was such a great year, so many incredible films. The last few years have been incredibly underwhelming with regards to oscar bait. I still can't believe the fucking Artist won best picture (or, hell, the Hurt Locker, though that was slightly more forgivable).

Lol WHAT?! Do you skip all the dialog and refuse to explore? I had no problem finding anything in that game except once I couldn't find where Samuel was when I was supposed to meet him.

Kill the Overseer - No clue what building he's in, whether my exploring will help with the main objective ala Hitman

Poison the gang's drink for Granny Rags - No clue what building this can be achieved in, whether I can do it now, whether the area's a hub world where I can come back later, whether the objective will time out, whether the deaths will have negative consequences. I just spent over an hour going through the Distillery, because hey, where else would you go to poison a drink supply? Nothing in there except for gang members.

Its a very good game, but the signposting is pretty bad so far

Did that George Clooney 9/11 Oscar-bait film win anything in the end?

Wilbur

Banned
No :(

I dunno, I'm a big fan of Cormac McCarthy but the adaptation is pretty great too. 2007 was such a great year, so many incredible films. The last few years have been incredibly underwhelming with regards to oscar bait. I still can't believe the fucking Artist won best picture (or, hell, the Hurt Locker, though that was slightly more forgivable).

The Artist was fun but forgettable as fuck, and I didn't like Hurt Locker at all, thought that was boring. If it was me doing the Oscars from the last few years (counting No Country as 2007)

2008: In Bruges or Il Divo
2009: Inglourious Basterds
2010 I Saw The Devil or True Grit
2011: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

Kill the Overseer - No clue what building he's in, whether my exploring will help with the main objective ala Hitman

Poison the gang's drink for Granny Rags - No clue what building this can be achieved in, whether I can do it now, whether the area's a hub world where I can come back later, whether the objective will time out, whether the deaths will have negative consequences. I just spent over an hour going through the Distillery, because hey, where else would you go to poison a drink supply? Nothing in there except for gang members.

Its a very good game, but the signposting is pretty bad so far

Did that George Clooney 9/11 Oscar-bait film win anything in the end?

The poison thing is in the Distillery.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
A few years ago. Just think its overly sentimental tripe. Freeman's bad, Robbins has done far better work, its trite and boring and melodramatic I refuse to believe a bunch of prisoners would stand and simultaneously ejaculate in their pants when someone plays something over the fucking radio.
(I'm on sleeping pills and fucking dizzy, its hard to string a few sentences together in english sorry heh)

You would ejaculate over Justin Bieber if you were in prison and Music was hard to come by.

The movie, like Se7en, isn't as timeless as other classics unfortunately. Many many tv shows and movies copied them so that's probably why you weren't that impressed.

Morgan has a certain screen presence, I can't explain it really. But 'that' role is absolutely perfect for him.

Around 25 pages away from finishing ASoI&F so far, and it ran out of steam a long, long time ago. Too many characters at once, and far too much focus on
Dany and Tyrion
. Spread the story too thin imo, and moved too far into
the supernatural

The poison thing is in the Distillery.

Where abouts? I found the
weakened elixir-maker
but it said nothing about the objective. All I could do with it was
make normal elixirs

Wilbur

Banned
(I'm on sleeping pills and fucking dizzy, its hard to string a few sentences together in english sorry heh)

You would ejaculate over Justin Bieber

fixed

Seven I think is brilliant, but I just don't get the love for Shawshank. Feel like anyone could make it, its not a unique piece of film. Director and cast don't matter because it feels so vanilla.

jtb

Banned
The Artist was fun but forgettable as fuck, and I didn't like Hurt Locker at all, thought that was boring. If it was me doing the Oscars from the last few years (counting No Country as 2007)

2008: In Bruges or Il Divo
2009: Inglourious Basterds
2010 I Saw The Devil or True Grit
2011: Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

God I forgot the King's Speech won in 2010 too. That's even worse than the Hurt Locker and the Artist.

2008: ??? I actually like Slumdog Millionaire as a shallow, guilty pleasure. It pains me that Benjamin Button was so fucking shit because this was Fincher's year to lose, given how bad everything else was... (haven't seen In Bruges, really should) Maybe the Wrestler?
2009: IB
2010: The Social Network, probably. Gotta get Fincher dat Oscar
2011: God, another awful year. I hated TTSS, so probably Drive :lol Maybe Shame. I'm shocked (well, not really given how fucking backwards the Academy is) that Fassbender didn't get an acting nod for Shame.

--

ASoIF blows. Fuck fantasy.

Fry

2008: The Dark Knight, you *@&#!

Didn't really like The Wrestler, nor Warrior. The Fighter is my favorite of the genre by far.

Wilbur

Banned
God I forgot the King's Speech won in 2010 too. That's even worse than the Hurt Locker and the Artist.

2008: ??? I actually like Slumdog Millionaire as a shallow, guilty pleasure. It pains me that Benjamin Button was so fucking shit because this was Fincher's year to lose, given how bad everything else was... (haven't seen In Bruges, really should) Maybe the Wrestler?
2009: IB
2010: The Social Network, probably. Gotta get Fincher dat Oscar
2011: God, another awful year. I hated TTSS, so probably Drive :lol Maybe Shame. I'm shocked (well, not really given how fucking backwards the Academy is) that Fassbender didn't get an acting nod for Shame.

--

ASoIF blows. Fuck fantasy.

I hate Slumdog urgh, that was wank. In Bruges is great, Wrestler isn't really a film, just a really good Rourke performance.

You hated TTSS, nooooo :( Drive is great though. Haven't seen Shame

And Kings Speech was boring as fuck. G-Rush was good though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom