• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

I don't usually talk about Gaffers that aren't part of this thread but Scullibudos love for Avatar is rather nauseating.

In the Star Wars thread he's trying to talk it up as one of the most important movies of this generation. It's eye candy with a wafer thin plot and poorly written characters.

Zabojnik

I don't get these complaints. 24 was, in it's prime, one of the best shows on TV!

If by "it's prime" you mean "until the mother's amnesia thing in the first season", then yeah. Joking aside, you know what I mean. Absurd twists and unrealistic plot advancement.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't usually talk about Gaffers that aren't part of this thread but Scullibudos love for Avatar is rather nauseating.

In the Star Wars thread he's trying to talk it up as one of the most important movies of this generation. It's eye candy with a wafer thin plot and poorly written characters.

Yep. Last half an hour is great, Cameron knows how to direct action, but he can't write for shit and the pacing is awful. Not a fan at all.

Hard to talk to Sculli about it though... don't understand his love for that. Nor do I get, like I say, the Speed Racer love but its a games forum I suppose. Never met anyone in real life that likes it.

rodvik

Ever get embarrassed by your own teams fans? Going by the Villa boards you would think we just got relegated not made it into the last 8. Jesus, bloody negative brummies :)

jtb

Banned

He's a bit delusional, but everyone shat on Avatar before it came out so I can only imagine how vindicated he must have felt when it crushed everyone else at the Box office. Plus, guy fucking loves James Cameron—I can respect that lol. He appreciates it for what it is, the "blockbuster" at its finest.

I don't get these complaints. 24 was, in it's prime, one of the best shows on TV!

Plus, if anything, the writers are showing that they're completely moving away from any formula and just focusing on the character interactions—which is the way to go, imo, when you have characters that are as strong as Carrie and Brody.

Wilbur

Banned
Ever get embarrassed by your own teams fans? Going by the Villa boards you would think we just got relegated not made it into the last 8. Jesus, bloody negative brummies :)

I hope they pick it up soon, Villa fans have been quite demanding the last few years, dating back to O'Leary. Don't want Lambert to fail, I really like him.

He's a bit delusional, but everyone shat on Avatar before it came out so I can only imagine how vindicated he must have felt when it crushed everyone else at the Box office. Plus, guy fucking loves James Cameron—I can respect that lol. He appreciates it for what it is, the "blockbuster" at its finest.

Ehh... outside the last half hour (which is what, a fifth of the movie?), I can't stand it.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
I've never seen 24, Lost, Homeland, probably a whole lists of shows. I need to catch up on Boardwalk Empire though because I'm falling too far behind

I loved when your fans sang "Lets pretend, lets pretend, leeeeeeets pretend we scored a goal" and then started celebrating like crazy.

rodvik

I hope they pick it up soon, Villa fans have been quite demanding the last few years, dating back to O'Leary. Don't want Lambert to fail, I really like him.

I do too. I mean Jesus, yeah we won ugly , but we won, oh and we reached the quarter finals beating Man City.

yeah I like Lambert. He sure does love to tinker though. I have to say my balls were in my mouth when I heard he was playing 3-3-4 to try and win the game at the end. Shit son, thats going for it!

1351628984929.gif

Arnie

Avatar's utter pants, can't believe I paid money to watch it. 3D's shit, too. The best part of that day was the maccies beforehand, and the pub afterwards. There was just this shit bit in the middle where we sat in a dark room watching blue aliens climb trees which subsequently gave me a headache.

I don't get that gif, how do we know he didn't go queue for a pint, or go for a piss? Not like he's really entitled to sit around if his bladder's bursting.

I've never seen 24, Lost, Homeland, probably a whole lists of shows. I need to catch up on Boardwalk Empire though because I'm falling too far behind
I gave up because the plot was fucking boring and the character development dragged.

rodvik

I loved when your fans sang "Lets pretend, lets pretend, leeeeeeets pretend we scored a goal" and then started celebrating like crazy.

Thats traditional! I like that one too. I love the new "Were Aston Villa, were passing the ball, were passing the ball" and the ironic but now common "Were Aston Villa, were not passing the ball, were not passing the ball"

Funny as hell when you hear it.

jtb

Banned
You guys are harsh on Avatar :lol. It's serviceable in some areas and it's fantastic in others. I just enjoyed it because it was a great film to watch and it was a lot of fun, and, at the end of the day, it was just a well-made film. Structurally, visually, everything. It had everything you needed in a good ol' action filck: a compelling villain, high stakes, great action, etc. Formulaic, shallow? Sure, but no one gives a shit when the Avengers is pure formula.

Fry

I've never seen 24, Lost, Homeland

smh dude. The first two are the pinnacle of modern classic television. Don't listen to the haters around here. Sure, both drop quality in the last two seasons, but the ride is second to none. There aren't other tv shows that are any similar to these two, and probably never will be.

And Homeland is my favorite show on air right now. Give it a try.

Wilbur

Banned
You guys are harsh on Avatar :lol. It's serviceable in some areas and it's fantastic in others. I just enjoyed it because it was a great film to watch and it was a lot of fun, and, at the end of the day, it was just a well-made film. Structurally, visually, everything. It had everything you needed in a good ol' action filck: a compelling villain, high stakes, great action, etc. Formulaic, shallow? Sure, but no one gives a shit when the Avengers is pure formula.

Oh god no. Villain was pantomime, the dialogue was atrocious, the lead actor was awful, the shite about the tree was shite, it ripped off fucking Star Wars Episode III for the flying dragon scene thing, it took far too long to actually have a good action scene. It was bad.

Avengers is mediocre but there's good acting and some fun lines.

Arnie

What?

Compelling villain? Who, the fucking army. High stakes? A fucking tree. Unobtanium? Fucking what? And the dialogue's garbage too.

If you want an example of a film that fits your argument then I'd say The Avengers; a decent, serviceable, straight up action film that's undeniably well made. Avatar's shallow jizz to me, nothing more. Could've fallen asleep and I wouldn't have been asking the plot when I woke up. Nor would I care about missing what's essentially Pocahontas.

EDIT: Alright, fuck off Wilbury. Genuinely didn't see your post. That's eerie.

GorillaJu

Lol I'm sorry dude but Avatar was archetypical, derivative, predictable and boring.

And "eye candy" means nothing nowadays when it's just pretty jungles and weird creatures that are taken almost wholesale from Ghibli movies like Nausicaa and Mononoke Hime, so that's out the window. Awful movie with no redeeming qualities to me.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
smh dude. The first two are the pinnacle of modern classic television. Don't listen to the haters around here. Sure, both drop quality in the last two seasons, but the ride is second to none. There aren't other tv shows that are any similar to these two, and probably never will be.

And Homeland is my favorite show on air right now. Give it a try.

You like Mario Gomez dude. I question your taste :p

I will i'm just really bad about finishing shows, i've fallen behind on the walking dead lol

-the game and show

jtb

Banned
I enjoyed Avatar. That's enough for me. You guys didn't, fair enough.

I'm do think there's a bit of a double standard that's going on with "blockbuster" movies where people shit on Avatar but love the Avengers and other mediocre big budget movies, but that's neither here nor there. (Cue Sculli's favorite clip of Spielberg going "Nobody likes a winner.")

Still, at least both are better than Inception.

edit: Kermode shits on post-Jackie Brown Tarantino. I respect the man's opinion and can usually judge whether or not I will like a movie based off of his reviews but he's hardly always right.

Yen

I'm do think there's a bit of a double standard that's going on with "blockbuster" movies where people shit on Avatar but love the Avengers and other mediocre big budget movies, but that's neither here nor there. (Cue Sculli's favorite clip of Spielberg going "Nobody likes a winner.")

"Nobody loves a winner"? You do realise the Avengers took $1.5bn at the box office. Must just be people supporting the plucky underdog.
I don't even understand what point you are trying to make with your double standards comment.

Arnie

The problem with discussing films with people who listen to Kermode on a regular basis is that they begin to inject him into their own critiquing persona. It's depressing, you can spot it a mile away, it happened today actually when I was talking about Skyfall. He even put on an accent.

I don't have a problem with you enjoying Avatar, Walrus, but when your reasoning falls down at the first hurdle you've got to expect a backlash. And when you say Inception's worse than Avatar, with the sole reason of being controversial (you and a few other film buffs on here do that about Inception), you've got to accept the frowns that come your way.

jtb

Banned
"Nobody loves a winner"? You do realise the Avengers took $1.5bn at the box office. Must just be people supporting the plucky underdog.
I don't even understand what point you are trying to make with your double standards comment.

Whedon is an underdog and a nerd favorite. Cameron is not (see: Titanic). Tons of people loved Avatar in the OT when it first released, then everyone retroactively decided it was shit. A bit like Titanic, another good film that I am not ashamed to say I enjoyed. That's all.

and this is the clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mgrxvTdl-Q

The problem with discussing films with people who listen to Kermode on a regular basis is that they begin to inject him into their own critiquing persona. It's depressing, you can spot it a mile away, it happened today actually when I was talking about Skyfall. He even put on an accent.

I don't have a problem with you enjoying Avatar, Walrus, but when your reasoning falls down at the first hurdle you've got to expect a backlash. And when you say Inception's worse than Avatar, with the sole reason of being controversial (you and a few other film buffs on here do that about Inception), you've got to accept the frowns that come your way.

I don't have a problem with people hating on it either.

And I love trolling Nolan. He's so shit. (Plus, I really do think Avatar is better than Inception. Inception is a movie that works on zero levels and is pretty much a failure.)

Wilbur

Banned
EDIT: Alright, fuck off Wilbury. Genuinely didn't see your post. That's eerie.

More proof that we are destined to be together. Just pop on your tablecloth and I'll come pick you up.

Man, gonna go see Skyfall again soon. Probably the best film I've seen this year.

DOn't watch Lost.

Watching Lost on a marathon bluray is bollocks.

Lost was meant to be watched week over week, then come up with several theories, and be left dissapointed.

Arnie

More proof that we are destined to be together. Just pop on your tablecloth and I'll come pick you up.

Man, gonna go see Skyfall again soon. Probably the best film I've seen this year.

I'm annoyed that my friends are going to see it tomorrow; I want a rewatch but Bond can go get fucked in his naughty blue secret service trackie if he thinks I'm missing Liverpool in the Capital One Cup.

Spending the entire day in the library tomorrow researching for an essay. I'll probably spend upwards of a tenner in the cafe.

DOn't watch Lost.

Watching Lost on a marathon bluray is bollocks.

Lost was meant to be watched week over week, then come up with several theories, and be left dissapointed.
I kind of agree. And Lost's up there in my favourite shows of all time. In 10 years, when I'm reminiscing about my teenage years I'll look back on Lost as a key part of my pop culture universe growing up. Me and my brother used to race out of the living room because we didn't want to be the last one in who'd have to turn off the telly, leaving them in complete darkness, after that freaky end jingle played.

Wilbur

Banned

edit: Kermode shits on post-Jackie Brown Tarantino. I respect the man's opinion and can usually judge whether or not I will like a movie based off of his reviews but he's hardly always right.

I get your argument, of course opinion's opinion and no one's going to change anyone's mind, but none of us loved the Avengers haha! It's average, standard blockbuster fare. It has fun, doesn't take itself too seriously, has some actors capable of pulling off the lines, and its just there. It happens, I forget about it. Avatar I just thought was mindlessly derivative, took itself far too seriously and was poorly acted almost totally across the board.

Inception is better, although its not a masterpiece or anything. It's a good movie with a very good concept and some great scenes. Good cast as well.

I don't agree with Kermode half the time, but he's articulate about what he does like. I've spoke to enough people that didn't like Inglourious Basterds that I've stopped calling them mental and just accepted it haha :(

GorillaJu

As far as I'm concerned I don't give Hollywood movies a pass unless they're actually good. I haven't watched the Avengers so I can't comment on that one.

One thing I can't ever agree with is when people cite "good CG" for why they liked a movie. Nothing is impressive anymore. CG in movies just make them lifeless and dull. Recently I watched The Remains of the Day for the first time, having read and loved the book, and I was floored with the visual splendor. It's one of the most beautiful films I've seen and of course there wasn't even a hint of CG.

Many would subscribe to the belief that reducing restrictions leaves things more up to the directors to fully realize their vision, but I've always thought that limitations foster creativity.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm annoyed that my friends are going to see it tomorrow; I want a rewatch but Bond can go get fucked in his naughty blue secret service trackie if he thinks I'm missing Liverpool in the Capital One Cup.

Spending the entire day in the library tomorrow researching for an essay. I'll probably spend upwards of a tenner in the cafe.

I'm missing our game, sigh. 24.50 to dress like a droog, I'll easy spend 30 quid out and I didn't even want to go as a fucking droog but fuck spending 50 quid on a costume.

As far as I'm concerned I don't give Hollywood movies a pass unless they're actually good. I haven't watched the Avengers so I can't comment on that one.

One thing I can't ever agree with is when people cite "good CG" for why they liked a movie. Nothing is impressive anymore. CG in movies just make them lifeless and dull. Recently I watched The Remains of the Day for the first time, having read and loved the book, and I was floored with the visual splendor. It's one of the most beautiful films I've seen and of course there wasn't even a hint of CG.

Many would subscribe to the belief that reducing restrictions leaves things more up to the directors to fully realize their vision, but I've always thought that limitations foster creativity.

Yeah, CG's become so commonplace that its only noticeable when done poorly really.

GorillaJu

Avatar isn't anywhere near Inception's level. Inception had some masterful build up of tension, clever dialog, required a minimum of thought to process and had good characters.

It also has a subtler allegory and a satisfying finale. Avatar was the same stupid story done for the umpteenth time but with big blue people.

Yen

That's because JB is the only Tarantino film that isn't filled with characters who are Tarantino-clones/not-humans.

Kill Bill isn't great, Basterds is.

jtb

Banned
Only CG that really impresses me these days is Fincher films. Zodiac probably has the best CG of any film I've ever seen. Hell, Fincher is probably the only director where you could tell me the story and characters were complete shit (Benjamin Button) and I'd pay money to go see it anyways because they're always stunning.

Avatar isn't anywhere near Inception's level. Inception had some masterful build up of tension, clever dialog, required a minimum of thought to process and had good characters.

It also has a subtler allegory and a satisfying finale. Avatar was the same stupid story done for the umpteenth time but with big blue people.

Meh, I didn't find it thought provoking at all. The script is fucking terrible and the action is shot horribly. Plus, there's no tension whatsoever, the rules of the world aren't clearly established at all, and there are no characters. It's like a nice case example of how awful the Matrix could have been if it didn't have two masterful directors at the helm. We can agree to disagree :lol

Still, I should probably check out that Remains of the Day adaptation. I'm a huge Ishiguro fan (though I didn't like the Never Let Me Go film—dunno if you've seen it).

Wilbur

Banned
That's because JB is the only Tarantino film that isn't filled with characters who are Tarantino-clones.

Kill Bill isn't great, Basterds is.

I really enjoy both Kill Bills but they're nowhere near the level of RD/PF/JB/IB. Haven't seen Death Proof yet, which is odd because I do love Tarantino but all the bad reviews have just made me wait until I'm in the mood for it one day.

Django looks fucking great though.

I though Avatar was decent at best when I saw it at the cinema. It was on in the lunchbreak at work, and I realised that its genuinely poor. I enjoyed Titanic though :)

Wilbur

Banned
Only CG that really impresses me these days is Fincher films. Zodiac probably has the best CG of any film I've ever seen. Hell, Fincher is probably the only director where you could tell me the story and characters were complete shit (Benjamin Button) and I'd pay money to go see it anyways because they're always stunning.

I always forget Fincher made Social Network, its so different from everything else he's made, but its so entertaining.

Yen

I really enjoy both Kill Bills but they're nowhere near the level of RD/PF/JB/IB. Haven't seen Death Proof yet, which is odd because I do love Tarantino but all the bad reviews have just made me wait until I'm in the mood for it one day.

Django looks fucking great though.

My only problem with Tarantino is the dialogue. If it wasn't for that, as it often leaves me rolling my eyes rather than thinking "Oh QT, you're so crazy and cool" or whatever, I'd probably enjoy his recent films more. But I feel it makes every one of his films so samey and a bit boring.

GorillaJu

Lol so true. Ever since Jackie Brown, Tarantino has basically recycled the same characters and formula for every movie he's made. Kill Bill is like a Tarantino Greatest Hits. Personally I couldn't stand it.

Basterds is great though. And I thought Death Proof was good too.

Pulp Fiction remains one of the greatest movies ever made IMO.

Arnie

I'm missing our game, sigh. 24.50 to dress like a droog, I'll easy spend 30 quid out and I didn't even want to go as a fucking droog but fuck spending 50 quid on a costume.

Fuck that. I'm dressing in standard attire tomorrow (with perhaps a smidge of fake blood) and if anyone questions it I'll just say I died fully clothed in my sleep.

jtb

Banned
My only problem with Tarantino is the dialogue. If it wasn't for that, as it often leaves me rolling my eyes rather than thinking "Oh QT, you're so crazy and cool" or whatever, I'd probably enjoy his recent films more. But I feel it makes every one of his films so samey and a bit boring.

I dunno, he has a (really really) distinct style but I've never felt like it kept his characters from being well defined or got in the way of storytelling. No doubt that Pulp Fiction is his best though—a perfect film, in my opinion.

Plus, you want same-y dialogue, just watch any Sorkin. God, his tendencies nearly made the Social Network intolerable.

edit: :lol ^Fry. But yeah, Zodiac is my favorite of Fincher's too. That and Fight Club.

GorillaJu

Meh, I didn't find it thought provoking at all. The script is fucking terrible and the action is shot horribly. Plus, there's no tension whatsoever, the rules of the world aren't clearly established at all, and there are no characters. It's like a nice case example of how awful the Matrix could have been if it didn't have two masterful directors at the helm. We can agree to disagree :lol

Still, I should probably check out that Remains of the Day adaptation. I'm a huge Ishiguro fan (though I didn't like the Never Let Me Go film—dunno if you've seen it).

Zodiac is fucking awesome. Such a good movie, I could watch it 100 times. That and the Social Network are both two of my top movies ever. David Fincher is great.

And I didn't say Inception is thought provoking I said it just requires thinking to digest.

Never seen Never Let Me Go. Remains of the Day is a masterpiece though.

Wilbur

Banned
Also gotta agree with what you said in the SW thread, walrus; Shawshank is definitely not a great film. Didn't like it at all.

For me, it exists in this movie world so much and its so apparent that it completely fits the verisimilitude that QT's created; none of the dialogue rings hollow or fake for me because I can believe it in the world he's created.

I know a lot of people are annoyed with it all, but I love it. It's a reason why I love him.

Lol so true. Ever since Jackie Brown, Tarantino has basically recycled the same characters and formula for every movie he's made. Kill Bill is like a Tarantino Greatest Hits. Personally I couldn't stand it.

Basterds is great though. And I thought Death Proof was good too.

Pulp Fiction remains one of the greatest movies ever made IMO.

I think his first three and IB are all equally brilliant and different. I remember seeing Reservoir Dogs for the first time (must have been 11, 12?) and just thinking 'fuck me I wish I could write like this, act like this, make a fucking movie like this'. Basterds is one of the best films of this century so far, it's just so fucking entertaining and well written. Christoph Waltz deserves plenty of blowjobs for that fucking film, he really does.

Fuck that. I'm dressing in standard attire tomorrow (with perhaps a smidge of fake blood) and if anyone questions it I'll just say I died fully clothed in my sleep.

:lol :lol

Good fucking idea. I'm going to look a cunt as a droog. Gotta curb dat primal instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom