• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, good on you Anderson for staying. Man I gotta see the highlights somewhere.

Wilbury watch The Antichrist please. Preferably under the influence.

Seen it. Was okay. Filmed well, acting was good but I don't really get what von Trier's doing sometimes. He likes to pretend he's making art but its just a shock horror really.

and yes I was aroused, damn dat dick

jtb

Banned
I wouldn't really be bothered if Lucas directed the movie.

Just keep him a million miles away from the script and he'd be fine.

Nah, he's a terrible director too. I give Lucas a lot of credit for what he pulled off in A New Hope but it's not a secret that he's awful at directing actors ("faster and more intense") and that the film was saved in the editing room. Just like Coppola, his directing skills (if he ever had any to begin with—I'll admit I haven't seen American Graffiti) are completely gone.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
We all know J J Abrams is going to make it in the end.

@Wilbury
I still have no idea what the fuck was going on, vomit on film.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't even think the original Star Wars are that great. ANH is pretty good, ESB is very good, and ROTJ is pretty good. Eh, suppose you had to be a kid really.

Messi

What if Joss Whedon did it?

WHAT IF?

mal-what.gif

Clegg

Nah, he's a terrible director too. I give Lucas a lot of credit for what he pulled off in A New Hope but it's not a secret that he's awful at directing actors ("faster and more intense") and that the film was saved in the editing room. Just like Coppola, his directing skills (if he ever had any to begin with—I'll admit I haven't seen American Graffiti) are completely gone.

I didn't have as many problems with the direction of the prequels as I did with the script.

I think Lucas is a servicable director but a godawful writer.

Wilbur

Banned
What if Joss Whedon did it?

WHAT IF?

Meh. Avengers was okay.

I don't really care to be honest, I don't love SW enough to care who does it really.

The only American (I think Whedon is Canadian though lol?) director I really love working today is Tarantino. A few Koreans are incredible directors, Cuaron, del Toro and Almodovar are good Spanish/Mexicans. Andrew Dominik has a perfect track record for me but is Australian. Really like Fincher but yeah... Tarantino's the only American I think is great off the top of my head.

They should go left field and give it to someone who wants to tell a story.

edit: scorsese FUCK. How I forget my god

Empty

This idea that Malick is some completely anarchic and formless director is a bit of a misnomer too—he can do cut and dry filmmaking. Badlands is an incredible exercise in concise filmmaking and it's a masterpiece. Let's also not forget he wrote the Dirty Harry script (or at least an early version of it). He can be Hollywood; I imagine a Star WArs film with Malick at the helm would be a happy medium between convention and Malick-ness.

It'll never ever happen, but fun to speculate.

yeah no doubt, badlands is actually my favourite malick film!

it was a while ago though, but i agree he's not exactly formless. it'd be interesting to see how malick approaches a cg driven movie given his absolute obsession with things like natural light. maybe he'd structure it like the tree of life where the star wars universe would be used instead of the story of the creation of the universe to sort of frame many of the key themes explored in a more grounded, personal story and he'd get someone else to do it with cg like he did trumbull in the ttol's creation scenes.

edit: why did i post this? why did i even put thought into what malick star wars would be like.

jtb

Banned
Meh. Avengers was okay.

I don't really care to be honest, I don't love SW enough to care who does it really.

The only American (I think Whedon is Canadian though lol?) director I really love working today is Tarantino. A few Koreans are incredible directors, Cuaron, del Toro and Almodovar are good Spanish/Mexicans. Andrew Dominik has a perfect track record for me but is Australian. Really like Fincher but yeah... Tarantino's the only American I think is great off the top of my head.

They should go left field and give it to someone who wants to tell a story.

edit: scorsese FUCK. How I forget my god

Scorcese? the Coen Brothers? Just off the top of my head...

Oops, you just edited :lol

Wilbur

Banned
I disagree.

Going to watch Fresh Meat now.

mahnigga.jpg

Shaun Of The Dead is the most consistently funny film I've ever seen. Seen it about 40 times and laugh at everything every time. Hot Fuzz is great but not a patch on SOTD.

Edgar Wright is awesome.

I'm gonna watch Fresh Meat before I sleep as well, then Buzzcocks and then Misfits.

Fintan

I don't even think the original Star Wars are that great. ANH is pretty good, ESB is very good, and ROTJ is pretty good. Eh, suppose you had to be a kid really.

Yeah, for whatever reason, I didn't see them until I was older than the age I'd imagine most people saw them at, and this definitely influenced my opinion of them. I thought they were pretty good, but I have nowhere near the passion and emotional attachment that some people do.

Messi

Who knows. Excited to see him in Kick Ass 2. He was great in Scrubs <3

I also agree with you other post, Hot Fuzz is definitely better than Shaun of the Dead, both are great though.

Him in clueless:

Clueless_10171_Medium.jpg

Him now:

dfaison.jpg

These are 17 years apart

He has found the fountain of youth

Fry

I did some research.

Here are the suspects.

Do you guys think Koscielny is good or bad? I haven't read the whole thread, neither seem Rea x Ars highlights (fucking wow at the score).

All I know is that, from Arsenal, I think Walcott is massively underrated, both by their own fans and neutrals.

Wilbur

Banned
Scorcese? the Coen Brothers? Just off the top of my head...

Oops, you just edited :lol

Yeah I forgot about the Coens as well. Off the top of my head I forgot but then just looked at my film spreadsheet thing and realised I forgot them haha.

Working directors I love: Tarantino, Dominik, Scorsese, Coens, Boon Jong-ho, Park Chan-wook, Tom Cleverley, Spike Jonze, Paolo Sorrentino, Edgar Wright, Tomas Alfredson.

and that's it I think. I don't count Woody Allen and Francis Ford Coppola as working any more, haven't seen enough of Wes Anderson, Werner Herzog, Davids Cronenberg and Lynch. Spielberg is done. Nolan and Fincher are very good, as are a few others.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Stacey Dash was so fine back in the day. I had the biggest crush on Alicia Silverstone back then too.

She was amazing in The Crush. She's several years older than me so I wasnt a pervert!

yet

Fry8 said:
Do you guys think Koscielny is good or bad? I haven't read the whole thread, neither seem Rea x Ars highlights (fucking wow at the score).

All I know is that, from Arsenal, I think Walcott is massively underrated, both by their own fans and neutrals.

I hate seeing walcott when we play Arsenal. He always seems to beast against Barca (if he plays lol)

Wilbur

Banned

I think Walcott's a great finisher but he's wasted on the wing and until he's played up front then I can't really judge him on his overall play there. So chastise his wing play I shall.

Last year Koscielny was very good and I don't really know how you can debate that... but this year he's been awful.

K1LLER7

If we sell Nani and if Walcott is to leave Arsenal, I'd be happy if he came to United. He'd add that needed pace in the team thats been missing since Ronaldo left, plus he's not afraid to take a player on 1v1, something Young and Valencia don't do often enough for me. Added bonus would be his link up with RVP which was pretty good last season.

Fry

I think Walcott's a great finisher but he's wasted on the wing and until he's played up front then I can't really judge him on his overall play there. So chastise his wing play I shall.

Yeah, I agree. His finishing is superb at times. And he makes some great plays, obviously most of them come from his pace. I still remember that counter-attack against Liverpool in the 4-4 match. A recent one that was very impressive: in the 5-3 against Chelsea.

This season's Koscienly: I didn't know he's been awful - but a lot of the defenders that did great last season, have been horrible in this one: Kompany, you guys said Koscienly, Skrtel has been a shadow of the player he was, too. Who else?

jtb

Banned
Because it's pathetic?

:lol. First off, Gaf fucking loves Nolan. Second, the truth is not pathetic!

--

Just trying to think of more American directors (there really aren't that many right now that are particularly interesting); Paul Thomas Anderson is a big one I guess, Soderbergh (hit and miss), Aronofsky. If it were a couple years ago, Eastwood too—but he's fallen off hard.

K1LLER7

This season's Koscienly: I didn't know he's been awful - but a lot of the defenders that did great last season, have been horrible in this one: Kompany, you guys said Koscienly, Skrtel has been a shadow of the player he was, too. Who else?

Rio and Evans.

Wilbur

Banned

I thought Skrtel was very good against Everton to be fair but you can tell he's a little uncomfortable with how B-Rod sets up. Kompany's been dire all season and so has Lescott when he's played. Ashley Williams not looking too great this year from what I've seen so far.

Jagielka looking better than he did at any point last season, though. Probably the league's best centre back so far off the top of my head.

K1LLER7

I thought Skrtel was very good against Everton to be fair but you can tell he's a little uncomfortable with how B-Rod sets up. Kompany's been dire all season and so has Lescott when he's played. Ashley Williams not looking too great this year from what I've seen so far.

Jagielka looking better than he did at any point last season, though. Probably the league's best centre back so far off the top of my head.

Evra improved from last year, but he's still far off his best form.

Rafael has been incredible for us, our best player alongside RVP.

Dibbz

OMFG that Arsenal game. Hoooooly fuck that feels good. Giroud is a fucking beast and lol at Dortmund. Thanks for Eisfeld suckers. 4th choice keeper in goals is fucking scary. Come on Szczesny where the fuck are you???

Theo can still suck it. He drifts in and out of games far too much.

Wilbur

Banned
:lol. First off, Gaf fucking loves Nolan. Second, the truth is not pathetic!

--

Just trying to think of more American directors (there really aren't that many right now that are particularly interesting); Paul Thomas Anderson is a big one I guess, Soderbergh (hit and miss), Aronofsky. If it were a couple years ago, Eastwood too—but he's fallen off hard.

I've only seen TWBB of Anderson's films, eek. Keep meaning to watch the rest but I watch so much TV now I hardly fit in films. Gonna have to rectify that.

Soderbergh makes far too many mediocre/bad films that it counters his good ones. Hard working though.

Never really liked Eastwood; Gran Torino and Million Dollar Baby were bad, Changeling was okay. Didn't really like Unforgiven either to be honest, although that probably has to do more with Clint's acting and fucking Morgan Freeman than the direction. Hackman and Richard Harris were class.

Fassbender needs to be part of this new Star Wars project.

But Gosling can stay away.

I wish Fassbender was 10 years younger, would have been perfect for next Bond.

Yen

Think there's two reasons for this:
1) No Lucas = no protection on the counter, and in general
2) Getting used to the new system whereby the full backs race up the pitch, the centre backs go out wide and the defensive midfielder slots in the middle to make a back three.

Wilby, PTA's Hard Eight is on Film4 on thursday/Friday, I think, or you could watch it on Youtube.

Clegg

OMFG that Arsenal game. Hoooooly fuck that feels good. Giroud is a fucking beast and lol at Dortmund. Thanks for Eisfeld suckers. 4th choice keeper in goals is fucking scary. Come on Szczesny where the fuck are you???

Theo can still suck it. He drifts in and out of games far too much.

Dortmund have Bittencourt and Leitner coming through their ranks.

They're fine without Eisfeld.

Wilbur

Banned
Evra improved from last year, but he's still far off his best form.

Rafael has been incredible for us, our best player alongside RVP.

True for both; Evra's been solid at times but there's still moments when I see him narrow and past the halfway line and I just wonder what the fuck is going on and how he seems to forget where he plays.

Rafael's been brilliant. Really happy with how he's come on; despite Smalling and Jones coming back I hope he doesn't get rotated too much, we really should start priming Smalling for first team alongside Vidic (Evans if Vidic is fucking done after that injury).

Clegg

I wish Fassbender was 10 years younger, would have been perfect for next Bond.
He'd be a perfect Bond right now. It's a shame that Craig is contracted for another two films. I like him but I think it's time for a change.

And is it just me or is Craig starting to look old?

Wilbur

Banned
He'd be a perfect Bond right now. It'sa shame that Craig is contracted for another two films. I like him but I think it's time for a change.

And is it just me or is Craig starting to look old?

Said this in the Skyfall OT, he's aged a ton since QoS. I wouldn't kick him out though, he's fantastic in it and has done wonders for bringing back credibility. Give him his last two, would be unfair not to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom