• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Does anyone else think that defending has become optional this season?

United/Chelsea/City are all leaking goals but are also scoring for fun.

Makes things more exciting.

L. Bender is kind of like Lucas Leiva, but more versatile & less injury prone.
Although some his passes are ace, he's definitely not someone who could do major playmaking, but Kagawa/Rooney/RvP can when they drop, so you'd still be fine even with straight up DM at his side. This is how we played post-Sahin/pre-Gündogan (with S. Bender/Kehl in DM).
The playmaking efforts were delegated to a dropping Kagawa and Hummels.

FootballFan

Does anyone else think that defending has become optional this season?

United/Chelsea/City are all leaking goals but are also scoring for fun.

Makes things more exciting.

Barca and Madrid too, but both are mainly because of injuries. Don't know how we didn't concede against Rayo, missing Masch + 4 defending starters lol.

L. Bender is kind of like Lucas Leiva, but more versatile & less injury prone.
Although some his passes are ace, he's definitely not someone who could do major playmaking, but Kagawa/Rooney/RvP can when they drop, so you'd still be fine even with straight up DM at his side. This is how we played post-Sahin/pre-Gündogan (with S. Bender/Kehl in DM).
The playmaking efforts were delegated to a dropping Kagawa and Hummels.
That's the type of player we need. We have more than enough creative and attacking options from elsewhere. I mean I think we will need to sign a good play making CM before long too but for now a solid defensive midfielder is more important.

I haven't really seen much of Lars Bender - but he's German so he's bound to be decent at least!

That's the type of player we need. We have more than enough creative and attacking options from elsewhere. I mean I think we will need to sign a good play making CM before long too but for now a solid defensive midfielder is more important.

I haven't really seen much of Lars Bender - but he's German so he's bound to be decent at least!

Yeah & Bayern wanted him too when the Martinez transfer started to drag on, so there's your seal of approval (of sorts)

Götze did this yesterday:
gtze2be27.gif

Marco Van Basten is 48 years old today. One of the best players to ever grace our shirt, who also had to retire early (at 30) due to his fragile body. He's one of the most important players of the Berlusconi-era, among Baresi, Maldini, Shevchenko, Kakà, Gullit, Rijkaard, and won everything with Milan, multiple times. Plus, he's one of the few players to have won three Balon d'Or. Happy birthday cigno!

FootballFan

Marco Van Basten is 48 years old today. One of the best players to ever grace our shirt, who also had to retire early (at 30) due to his fragile body. He's one of the most important players of the Berlusconi-era, among Baresi, Maldini, Shevchenko, Kakà, Gullit, Rijkaard, and won everything with Milan, multiple times. Plus, he's one of the few players to have won three Balon d'Or. Happy birthday cigno!

Happy Birthday to that legend, I hate reading about his early retirement. Apparently he was injured from when he was 28 until he was 30, which means he pretty much retired at 28.

confuziz

Banned
Happy Birthday to that legend, I hate reading about his early retirement. Apparently he was injured from when he was 28 until he was 30, which means he pretty much retired at 28.

V. Basten..Robben....Sneijder..RVP...VDV

what the hell is up with us dutchies? We're so fragile =(

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Betting on Juve tonight is risky, here's why:

Reason #1: We played four games in midweek so far this season and drawn all of them.

Reason #2: No Vidal and Marchisio.

Reason #3: Juventus probable: Buffon; Caceres, Bonucci, Barzagli; Isla, Giaccherini (Padoin), Pirlo, Pogba, Asamoah; Quagliarella, Bendtner

Our only draw in the league came thanks to this midfield. Giaccherini won't cut it there, he should switch places with Asamoah.

Roma better beat Parma tomorrow.

amauri060708-1866691.jpg

Betting on Roma is risky, here's why:

Reason #1: Amauri.

Reason #2: Zeman. Roma, leading 2-1 against Udinese, lined up like this the other day:

Nd9Yl.jpg

Reason #3: The worst defense in Serie A

Happy birthday to the one and only MVB. ;)

Kyoufu

Ba is a 50/50 for the Pool game. :(

Guess we'll just have to bend over and take it. Expecting zero possession and 4 or 5 Liverpool goals.

Wilbur

Banned
Yeah, don't bet on Roma guys.

Also Juve-Inter this weekend, hmm. Inter looking good away but theoretically Juve should win. Fucking Merda.

Not liking the wrestler, not liking shawshank. I feel like I have just uncovered a lovers dirty secrets and I now have to break up with him.

We will always have our love of penises to fight through the troubles.

Kyoufu

12 - No team in the Premier League or Football League has won more penalties than Manchester United in the last year (from Nov 1st)

Time for an investigation. :)

Wilbur

Banned
12 - No team in the Premier League or Football League has won more penalties than Manchester United in the last year (from Nov 1st)

Time for an investigation. :)

Evra permanently setting up camp in the opposition box has some sort of impact on something other than my sphincter, I suppose.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
kTZjO.jpg

vIBAm.jpg

I'm so torn between picking up Halo 4 or BLOPS2.

Neither.

Halo is the better game though.

-

Mino Raiola “The Ballon d’Or is only important if Zlatan wins. If not, then it will only reinforce the idea that this is a politically corrupt prize.”

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mino actually said that?
And more!

“He [Platini] criticises PSG and their wages instead of accepting the fact that his own sport is progressing with great talent, big stars and big investors, who would generate yet more wealth and power in general.”

“He is one of those who want the big investors to move away from football. What is the difference with the sponsors of the Champions League then? It just shows how incompetent he is. Michel Platini has never done something important for football.”

“My last message to Platini, the mob boss: stop criticising my players and go to hell.”

Really glad I ordered black after looking at The Verge's review. Looks really good.

Who'se tattoo is the leg break one? Ryan Shawcross'?

De Rossi89.

Meier

Man going for pint/pie/toilet at football shocker.

I think I saw on that chart of teams' prices, there was a bit about a tea and pie. Is this one of those British things where pie means something else? Like some pizza or something? Or do you guys really buy a slice of pie at football matches?

apple-pie-ck-709820-l_0.jpg

And more!

“He [Platini] criticises PSG and their wages instead of accepting the fact that his own sport is progressing with great talent, big stars and big investors, who would generate yet more wealth and power in general.”

“He is one of those who want the big investors to move away from football. What is the difference with the sponsors of the Champions League then? It just shows how incompetent he is. Michel Platini has never done something important for football.”

“My last message to Platini, the mob boss: stop criticising my players and go to hell.”

De Rossi89.

Amazing!

I think I saw on that chart of teams' prices, there was a bit about a tea and pie. Is this one of those British things where pie means something else? Like some pizza or something? Or do you guys really buy a slice of pie at football matches?

Its been a staple on terraces for generations, they are actually eaten yes... although hot dogs, pasties, sausage rolls, muffins and coffee have all crept in more recently - I expect the old footy match pie might not be as popular as it once was. And you can only have a beer if you cower indoors these days. Which is understandable, but often sucks. You can spend more than the half time interval in queues for this shit if you're not careful, I try to avoid it.

Hixx

Pie over here has meat in it. Steak & kidney/mince meat/chicken etc.

Meier

Its been a staple on terraces for generations, they are actually eaten yes... although hot dogs, pasties, sausage rolls, muffins and coffee have all crept in more recently - I expect the old footy match pie might not be as popular as it once was. And you can only have a beer if you cower indoors these days. Which is understandable, but often sucks. You can spend more than the half time interval in queues for this shit if you're not careful, I try to avoid it.

Yeah, they send beer vendors around at American sporting events.. they go up and down the stairs and you can buy from them that way. I'm not a beer fan and they're too expensive so I never buy them. I mostly go to UT (college) football where they don't sell any alcohol since it's on campus.

Pie over here has meat in it. Steak & kidney/mince meat/chicken etc.

That's still pretty funny! Just burgers, hot dogs, pizza, nachos, etc. here in the US for the most part -- bar food essentially. We call those kinds of pies "pot pies" in America. It's usually chicken or turkey in them.

1597199_f520.jpg

Facism

forget PLOPS2 or J-Lo 4. Natural Selection 2. I just saved you money and disappointment. Thank me appropriately.

fixed

Seven I think is brilliant, but I just don't get the love for Shawshank. Feel like anyone could make it, its not a unique piece of film. Director and cast don't matter because it feels so vanilla.

Do you not think that sometimes this is symptomatic of watching a film many years after it came out? The thinking being that you've probably seen films that came out later that were influenced by it.

Wilbur

Banned
Do you not think that sometimes this is symptomatic of watching an film many years after it came out? The thinking being that you've probably seen films that came out later that were influenced by it.

Well I must have seen a ton of gangster movies before Godfather, a ton of horror movies before The Shining, a ton of action before Die Hard but they still feel unique in their execution. Shawshank doesn't. I don't really think it has an identity behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom