• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

tumblr_mx1dfiUGMB1qcjw09o1_400.gif

D'awwwww. Don't be jealous, Zab and Yurt.

Honey Bunny

I changed my Google account name to Baconsaurus Rex so I could use that handle on YouTube. Little did I know my name on Gmail would get changed as well. Lots of emails sent under the name Baconsaurus Rex. Lots of important ones.

Do you send an apology with a properly named email, or do you rock it and keep sending them stuff as Baconsaurus?

Slizz

One of my real life friends that actually likes football down here is basically the worst fan.

He is a Spurs fan, but loves Bale. So last week when Bale was sick and on the bench, he says 'fuck Real, Bale isn't playing go Bayern'.....

Then yesterday he says 'Come on Chelsea!' in which I respond 'Why? Atletico are the peoples champ' to which he says, 'fuck the people, London first'......

He's not from London...

PowderedToast

JAGIELKA'S FIT?!

NO ALCARAZ?!

itshappening.gif

it begins. never underestimate city's ability to bottle it

when I first learned we were playing palace on monday night my heart sank, but now the way things of gone I reckon it's actually a benefit because we'll know the city result. if they drop points it will completely galvanize us again and we'll turn over palace. if not.. i don't know how team is gonna feel. =(

Jarnet87

For England's future they need a strong willed attacking minded foreign manager who is willing to get rid of the dead weight "golden generation" that will still be hanging around (Rooney, Ashley Cole, etc) and develop the young talent that England has. The FA also has to give him time. It should be viewed as a 4 year project with the goal being WC 2018.

arkon

One of my real life friends that actually likes football down here is basically the worst fan.

He is a Spurs fan, but loves Bale. So last week when Bale was sick and on the bench, he says 'fuck Real, Bale isn't playing go Bayern'.....

Then yesterday he says 'Come on Chelsea!' in which I respond 'Why? Atletico are the peoples champ' to which he says, 'fuck the people, London first'......

He's not from London...

kill him

it begins. never underestimate city's ability to bottle it

when I first learned we were playing palace on monday night my heart sank, but now the way things of gone I reckon it's actually a benefit because we'll know the city result. if they drop points it will completely galvanize us again and we'll turn over palace. if not.. i don't know how team is gonna feel. =(

Imagine if City win, then we let our heads drop and put in a dreadful performance and lose 3-0 to Palace, then Villa obliterate City in their attempt to escape relegation. I'd seppuku

Slizz

Lol, I just can't have sports convo's with him. 'Finally, now I can respect Moyes' after he got fired from United.

He also says hes going to refuse to support the MLS team here because its shit tier football. I understand his sentiment, but what happens when the league and team progresses? Then you just look like an asshole jumping on a bandwagon.

It sounds stupid, but we need to build this entire team around Sturridge. Do whatever it takes to

1) get him on the ball inside the box
2) provoke the opposition into playing a high defensive line (without completely conceding control of the game)
3) lessen the focus on crosses as much as possible

George Groves seems like a massive bellend, but Froch seems like a complete idiot to let it get to him, unless he has some masterplan behind what would be great acting. They seem to genuinely dislike eachother

Marc

Imagine the amount of money spent on alcohol if we won the World Cup

I would probably run naked down the street, so be thankful England are shit.

Seriously though, what a party that would be. The parade would have orgies and god knows what else.

Happy birthday Meier, I hope city get food poisoning though.

Strange that Rooney is only 28 years old or so, but it really does feel like he's part of the Gerrard/Cole/Lampard group that should probably be fucked off after the World Cup.

Gerrard and Cole are still worth a place in the squad imo, but if their presence prevents upcoming talent from getting into the squad, they should be sacrificed.

Slizz

Happy B-day Meier, why am I so surprised your b-day is so close to mine? I thought I would have picked up on that in the last couple of years.

Wilbur

Banned
Amazing

His has been an extraordinary achievement. Here's a question: has a manager ever had as big and immediate an impact on a team? Brian Clough perhaps?

When Simeone took over in 2011, Atlético hovered just above the relegation zone. They had won the Europa League 18 months earlier, sure, but crisis gripped and they had been knocked out of the Copa del Rey by second division B side Albacete. Six of the players who lost to Albacete started last night; a seventh, captain Gabi, was suspended. "I don't want to say 'sunk', but we were in a bad way," Koke recalls. "Simeone changed our life."

In his first (half) season, Atlético won the Europa League and climbed to fifth. In his second, they won the European Super Cup, hammering Chelsea, and finished third, returning to the Champions League. The season ended with them winning the Copa del Rey against Real Madrid – at the Santiago Bernabéu. It was the first time Atlético had beaten their city rivals in 14 years and a fatalism had taken hold. They beat them again at the start of this season. From no wins in 25 to two in two. What happened next was that Radamel Falcao departed. But still they grew.

Although Real knocked Atlético out of the Cup this year, the city's "other" team are two wins in three games away from winning a first league title since 1996, a league title that appeared utterly impossible, that even their manager said could not be won, and they are in the final of the European Cup. "This is madness," Tiago said last night. No one expected this, even if privately the players did think that a good European run was possible. More possible, in fact, than the league. Amazingly, they could now win both.

On Wednesday night no one could doubt their superiority. Even Chelsea's goal was an atlético goal. Atlético have reached the final without losing a game. They have conceded just once in four matches against Barcelona and Chelsea.

All this with a budget less than a quarter the size of Real Madrid's. It is not as if reinforcements have arrived either. Simeone's starting XI last night did not include a single new signing. It cost a total of €38.3m in transfer fees. Again, the likely consequence is sales. Atlético, Chelsea and the agents involved all agree on Diego Costa moving to Chelsea. At the moment, the only person who does not is Costa himself. He will not find a club, a life, like this elsewhere. "We might not have the economic might of other clubs but no one can match us for ambition," Simeone said.

Salazar

Strange that Rooney is only 28 years old or so, but it really does feel like he's part of the Gerrard/Cole/Lampard group that should probably be fucked off after the World Cup.

Gerrard and Cole are still worth a place in the squad imo, but if their presence prevents upcoming talent from getting into the squad, they should be sacrificed.

Gerrard and Lampard should definitely piss off. Rooney has a while left if he focuses on being a fucking striker.

I think he will.

Which will make it much better than previous campaigns. At least the team will be exciting.

Not under Roy they won't be.

Our lineup agaist Denmark was decent enough, but Hodgson and the generally decrepit aura that surrounds the national team sucked all life out of that game, and probably will at the WC as well

L1NETT

I won't to be optimistic, but Hedgehog likes to stick to his favourites and his turgid formations

Don't be surprised to see Milner and Cleverly in contention for starting places. Saying that, the starting team against Denmark was pretty promising.

Joe Hart

Glen Johnson Chris Smalling Gary Cahill Ashley Cole

Jack Wilshere Jordan Henderson Steven Gerrard Raheem Sterling

Wayne Rooney Daniel Sturridge

Bring Jags and Baines in I don't think there will be too many complaints

I think we'll beat Costa Rica 1 nill, Rooney penalty or something (mugs on here will still call him every name under the sun), draw to Italy in a right fucking boring game and lose to Uruguay.

Not hopeful.

Wilbur

Banned
I won't to be optimistic, but Hedgehog likes to stick to his favourites and his turgid formations

Don't be surprised to see Milner and Cleverly in contention for starting places. Saying that, the starting team against Denmark was pretty promising.

Joe Hart

Glen Johnson Chris Smalling Gary Cahill Ashley Cole

Jack Wilshere Jordan Henderson Steven Gerrard Raheem Sterling

Wayne Rooney Daniel Sturridge

Bring Jags and Baines in I don't think there will be too many complaints

I think we'll beat Costa Rica 1 nill, Rooney penalty or something (mugs on here will still call him every name under the sun), draw to Italy in a right fucking boring game and lose to Uruguay.

Not hopeful.

Probably because he'll play shit, score a 'penalty or something', and the media will still suck his cock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom