• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elchele

We simply won't loan a 10m signing. Look at our recent signings, that's just not gonna happen.

And the other Bender has been awfully average this season.

he was playing under Hyypia you have to understand
I rather have an average Bender than an 90% of the season injured Bender

Waaa Rooney hasn't played his best and still scored 17 league goals waaa

Why is nobody writing shit about him

Yeah football is a team game. Which is why its fucking dumb to single out somebody who scored 17 league goals rather than your league one standard wingers or your ancient centrebacks who have the turning circle of a blue whale after a sunday roast or your hilariously average midfielders

If it's a team game, why is everyone pooping on Rooney?

I ain't saying he's been shit hot either.

meh

Why is Atletico performing better as a team without Falcao--a more prolific goalscorer (until his move) than Costa--up front?

Team balance should come first.

Rooney shouldn't be our first choice number ten. And if RVP is fit, it's debatable whether he should be our first choice number nine. There's a reason Fergie used to play him from the left in Europe a lot over the years.

Blablurn

Klopp: "Bayern weiter beste Mannschaft der Welt"

We are still the best team in the world according to club. He seriously wants to be Peps successor. YES MOYES.

Elchele

Klopp: "Bayern weiter beste Mannschaft der Welt"

We are still the best team in the world according to club. He seriously wants to be Peps successor. YES MOYES.

Markus Weinzierl will replace Pep. He's already a better tactician than Guardiola and he is a former Bayern player

PowderedToast

rooney over sturridge?? sturridge holds the ball up, has pace, has great positional awareness and is capable of excellent link-up play. rooney has always been shite for england and will come into this tournament after returning from injury. he will stink the place out and completely melt in the brazil heat.

sturridge hasn't been on form for liverpool recently and was clearly unfit on sunday, but nobody should forget how fucking brilliant he was for most of the season. he demolished some top sides and is a big game player. if not for suarez he'd have been the best striker in the league.

Marc

rooney over sturridge?? sturridge holds the ball up, has pace, has great positional awareness and is capable of excellent link-up play. rooney has always been shite for england and will come into this tournament after returning from injury. he will stink the place out and completely melt in the brazil heat.

sturridge hasn't been on form for liverpool recently and was clearly unfit on sunday, but nobody should forget how fucking brilliant he was for most of the season. he demolished some top sides and is a big game player. if not for suarez he'd have been the best striker in the league.

Powdered Toast is most wise, well said.

Sturridge gets labeled as greedy but even when he has a bad game his movement and smart runs creates space for others. He is a bastard to mark and quickens the play which England badly needs. Rooney, well I have a lot of problems with him and would take too long to list them.

MarcMadridista on managingmadrid.com said:
First off I’d play the 4-4-2 with Modric in Alonso’s place & Isco in Modric’s place so it would look like this.

Casillas
Carvajal Pepe Ramos Coentrao
Bale Isco Modric Di Maria
Benz CR7

I believe from watching the CDR final match against Barca that Isco & Modric have the sensibilities to play these positions. Isco would give us more control of the possession and is much better at creating openings than either Illarra or Khedira. He has also shown that he can tackle so that’s not a worry for me.

The article stated that we have to be careful of Atletico’s set piece threat. That we do. However, if they score I don’t think it will be due to a set-piece header like last years CDR final, no. People might be forgetting Ramos & Pepe’s monster performance in the air against Bayern & Barca this season. Bayern are a team that also are taller than us on average, yet the score no headed goals let alone a goal. Think; Mandzu, Boateng, Dante, Muller, Schweiny, Martinez, (Robben is reasonably tall/lanky too) etc. We on the other hand had Pepe, Ramos, CR7, Benz & Bale for height. The article said Benz is a short player? Nope, he’s the same height as Ramos, but he’s just not that great at defending is all. Bear in mind that Ramos is only 6ft in height too. Reasonably short for a Centre-Back colossus in the air haha. In terms of marking Costa? Most of his goals haven’t come headed this season (only 3 of his 36 goals have been scored with his head) but I’d assign CR7 to mark him. You might have noticed, CR7 actually is very good at clearing headers when a corner or free kick comes in our box. It’s due to his fantastic & now famous leaping ability.

Moving on, I think a possible tactic that could be conducive to our victory would be to tell Di Maria to man-mark Koke. If there’s any player on our team that would be perfect for that job it is ADM because he’s fast, high-stamina, has decent tackling & is generally a super motivated, high pressing dude. If one shuts down Koke, I think one shuts down a huge slice of Atleti’s attack. Gabi, Raul Garcia & Turan are all very good too but it’s just that offensively they’re not the same calibre of player as Koke imo. Koke has the most assitst in Atletico’s team too. Whereas by sacrificing most of Di Maria for the man-marking role we’d still have Modric, Isco, Bale, CR7 & Benz to create. Don’t forget Pepe too as he has 5 assists for us in all competitions this season haha!

In terms of style of play, I’d actually be reactive to what Atletico decide to do. If they sit back then fine, I’d be happy to keep possession & tire them out. As we saw in La Liga, they seem to hit a 70 minute threshold where afterwards they get tired. Besides, if given enough possession of the ball I’m sure we have the quality to slice them open. I think this will be the scenario for most of the 2nd half. On the other hand, if they are aggressive, high press us & generally want the ball, I’d be just as happy for us to sit deep & hit them on the counter like we did Bayern & Barca. I think this might be the scenario for most of the 1st half. Regardless of what they decide to do, I’m confident Ancelotti has the tactics & organisation to counter whatever Atletico try.

What perhaps is more important than anything is to make sure that we don’t get dragged into a farcical cheating, diving, claiming for cards, bad tackles, shenanigans affair that Atletico seem to have mastered & love doing. They’re been worse than Barca at this sort of behaviour this season imo. Anyhow, we should just keep a cool head & do our own thing. If our players get fouled then hope that the officials see it but no retaliation because that’s just what the likes of Diego Costa, Raul Garcia & Simeone would want.

Overall, it’s as simple as this; Our team just has more quality on the pitch. As long as all our players turn up on the night & have the necessary motivation & desire to match Atleti’s we will win. Those are big conditions of course but I think the players have shown us all over the last month that we need not doubt their motivation, desire & courage for the big games. They can do this.

Obviously it will undoubtedly be a war & we shouldn’t lack humidity or respect for our opponents as we know they are dangerous & worthy challengers to our crown. Our job as the fans is to keep lots of faith, not to show fear & cheer them on with all our heart. Keep Calm guys & Hala Madrid!

Why didn't I think of this? A Modric/Isco swap for Xabi sounds fantastic to me.

Blablurn

After 17 months out injured, @Badstuber rejoined team training today.

Bmj28OLCcAAzebU.jpg:large

He still has that awkward arm movement.

qLzXrdC.jpg

god. i hope we get a real CB next season.

I think Rooney has had his best season ever in terms of output.

40 games, 19 goals, 22 assists.

Most impressive on paper. Shame about his touch, passing, positioning and general play.

Elchele

Chelsea apparently interested in Calhanoglu. Only a matter of time until they're linked with Roberto Firmino..

Bild linked Dortmund with Firmino, Kagawa and Volland. Wouldn't surprise me if they sign Firmino if the Kagawa deal doesn't go thru.
I doubt Chelsea is a realistic destination for Calhanoglu. De Bruyne already left because there was no room for him in the team

jtb

Banned
I think Rooney has had his best season ever in terms of output.

40 games, 19 goals, 22 assists.

Most impressive on paper. Shame about his touch, passing, positioning and general play.

not to pull a Wilbury, but a good chunk of those assists are from set-pieces, I think, and so wouldn't represent his quality in open play

Bild linked Dortmund with Firmino, Kagawa and Volland. Wouldn't surprise me if they sign Firmino if the Kagawa deal doesn't go thru.
I doubt Chelsea is a realistic destination for Calhanoglu. De Bruyne already left because there was no room for him in the team

Bild is shit when it comes to BVB.

Edit: And about Calhanoglu: I don't think he's ready for the big clubs yet. Would do well to join a club like Gladbach, Leverkusen, etc. He's obviously very talented but I feel like his amazing free kicks make him look better than he is at the moment.

Elchele

Bild is shit when it comes to BVB.

Yeah, not the most reliable but they were the first ones announcing the Ramos deal. Can't say they are clueless. You really think you'll go into next season with only Reus as CAM? Looking by all the signings, Dortmund are planning to compete in both fronts (or at least try to) next season so they'll need two players per position

Edit: And about Calhanoglu: I don't think he's ready for the big clubs yet. Would do well to join a club like Gladbach, Leverkusen, etc. He's obviously very talented but I feel like his amazing free kicks make him look better than he is at the moment.

yep, he's still a raw talent. And incredibly selfish player
Bild also linked him with Leverkusen I believe. Would be a great signing

Yeah, not the most reliable but they were the first ones announcing the Ramos deal. Can't say they are clueless. You really think you'll go into next season with only Reus as CAM? Looking by all the signings, Dortmund are planning to compete in both fronts (or at least try to) next season so they'll need two players per position

Ramos was rumored for like almost a year, I don't think they were running the first story. And just look, they are basically dropping every name that could end up at BVB, that's no surprise that something is right.

Why is Reus the only CAM? We still got Micky. With Kuba back, Micky will get at least some rotation to CAM.

Also after signing Ginter, Ramos and Immobile/player X, I don't think we have another 10-15m for a CAM. Kagawa would have been the exception. Depends on whether we manage to give Reus a new contract or not, as well.

Elchele

Ramos was rumored for like almost a year, I don't think they were running the first story. And just look, they are basically dropping every name that could end up at BVB, that's no surprise that something is right.

Why is Reus the only CAM? We still got Micky. With Kuba back, Micky will get at least some rotation to CAM.

Also after signing Ginter, Ramos and Immobile/player X, I don't think we have another 10-15m for a CAM. Kagawa would have been the exception. Depends on whether we manage to give Reus a new contract or not, as well.

Why would you sign another striker? Ramos and Ji are already signed m8. Signing a CAM would make more sense than signing another striker, and Firmino/Kagawa would be more cheap than Immobile

Mkhi sucks as CAM. He has zero creativity

not to pull a Wilbury, but a good chunk of those assists are from set-pieces, I think, and so wouldn't represent his quality in open play
Yeah but we're 10th in the league for goals from set pieces so it's not like it's skewed massively out of proportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom