• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blablurn

BmktTraCAAQWr0f.jpg:large

Meier

@MCFC · 23s
GOAL CITY!!!! They've equalised! Olivier Ntcham swivels and finishes after brilliant pressing and a tackle by Ambrose in the penalty area.

Woot! Must be in around the 77th or 78th minute. French connection!

Meier

WOW! How did Juve not score there? Nice job by Benfica to head off the line but Vidal has to do better than that. Great balls from Asamoah and Pogba.

Turok_TTZ

Look Benzema's been decent enough lets not go crazy. Would rather have Suarez
You really would rather have big game flop Suarez? his profile doesn't even fit. I understand his value better than you. In a team like Real Madrid, where we have CR7 and Bale, Suarez would be an unnecessary wrench in the cogs. Benzema doesn't even play your typical CF role because the goalscoring job is left to CR7 and Bale. Because such, the ball will be dominated by CR7 and Bale. Suarez like Benz needs the touch of the ball to be effective. Suarez is not Falcao, Falcao can play his game without the ball. an effective Luis Suarez is a Suarez who dominates the ball, not without it.

To shut down Suarez easily, is to simply not let him have time on the ball be it isolated by the enemy or isolated by his own team, instead make him play his game without it. Falcao is deservedly considered one of the best cfs in the game today because his movements without the ball and his overall game not requiring him to touch the ball is what makes him so lethal. He can be isolated for 70 mins straight and he will still mess you up if given one clear cut chance to do so. Suarez is not the same and that is the problem. CR7 and Bale by nature will isolate Suarez, thus crippling Luis Suarez.

Now, if we didn't have CR7 and Bale, perhaps Suarez would be a wise idea as Suarez needs to be the main guy to do what he does. He is main guy in liverpool. He will not even be the 3rd option in attack if he comes to madrid, and that is because Di maria/Modric is a better distance shooter than him. This is the same reason why Kaka failed in madrid. Luis most of all needs to be the main guy in order to succeed. he cannot be a minor though important cog in the machine, he has to be the Machine itself.
This is why I am not amused when madrid are linked with guys who are main guys in their teams but have no history in being just a minor part in a much bigger picture.

but hey I'm overcomplicating this. I'll make it simple for you guys:
Suarez and Benz actually are quite similar but the minor differences is what ultimately sets them apart and ultimates decide what a team needs. If your team lacks a top goalscorer and you need a strong individual profile then ideally Suarez is your man.
However, if your team needs balance and you need someone who can get his stats but more importantly, fit with the team and help the "flow" of team without disrupting with individual traits then Benzema is your man. Suarez is a scorer by nature, Benz on the other hand is a creator first and his play reflects that.

This is why Suarez is unnecessary in Madrid. We already got a top goalscorer with great individuality in CR7, Bale too. To sign Suarez would mean we intend to replace either CR7 or Bale. I am in the opinion that Suarez is not better than CR7 or Bale. Bale can create decently but better off being a goalscorer, CR7 same as well, he is by far more effective as a goalscorer. For the BBC to work, one of the three needs to be a creator first and foremost and thus, Benzema is the most underrated cog in the BBC machine. Priority goes to Benz 3rd, Bale 2nd, CR7 1st in terms of attacking.

Best exemplified by CR7 first goal against bayern. Tarnish not the counter attack: Benz made the first pass to Bale, he is furthest behind Bale and CR7. Bale continues on and then passes to CR7, who is our main goalscorer. if Bale was 1st priority, he would have taken a shot instead of passing. CR7, having his life made easy by Benzema and Bale, takes the shot and scores. We're more balanced under Carlo but the priority is the same.

I cannot see Suarez succeeding in such a model. His profile does not fit and is not available. his spot if there was one is already occupied by CR7 and Bale. Suarez dominates the ball in liverpool. In Madrid he will not see that ball very often as the 3rd spot, Benz, is required to do 2 things. 1: Grab the attention and bully the cbs when appropriate, creates space for the other two. 2: Playmake and build up play, make sure CR7 and Bale (mostly CR7) do not get involved in build up play and let them just focus on making incisive runs for goals. Benz only sees the ball when dropping deep, not in the final 3rd usually. ofc there will team effort moments from CR7 and Bale but mostly this usually how it plays out. This is why I rate Benz ahead of Suarez: He is still an effective scorer and assist maker without seeing much of the ball and not being the main guy.

Sometimes I think you guys don't even try to use yer brains.

Benz is pretty underrated. He does tiny things that are soo important and his strikng technique is very gud.

Stop hating on algerie!!!!

You really would rather have big game flop Suarez? his profile doesn't even fit. I understand his value better than you. In a team like Real Madrid, where we have CR7 and Bale, Suarez would be an unnecessary wrench in the cogs. Benzema doesn't even play your typical CF role because the goalscoring job is left to CR7 and Bale. Because such, the ball will be dominated by CR7 and Bale. Suarez like Benz needs the touch of the ball to be effective. Suarez is not Falcao, Falcao can play his game without the ball. an effective Luis Suarez is a Suarez who dominates the ball, not without it.

To shut down Suarez easily, is to simply not let him have time on the ball be it isolated by the enemy or isolated by his own team, instead make him play his game without it. Falcao is deservedly considered one of the best cfs in the game today because his movements without the ball and his overall game not requiring him to touch the ball is what makes him so lethal. He can be isolated for 70 mins straight and he will still mess you up if given one clear cut chance to do so. Suarez is not the same and that is the problem. CR7 and Bale by nature will isolate Suarez, thus crippling Luis Suarez.

Now, if we didn't have CR7 and Bale, perhaps Suarez would be a wise idea as Suarez needs to be the main guy to do what he does. He is main guy in liverpool. He will not even be the 3rd option in attack if he comes to madrid, and that is because Di maria/Modric is a better distance shooter than him. This is the same reason why Kaka failed in madrid. Luis most of all needs to be the main guy in order to succeed. he cannot be a minor though important cog in the machine, he has to be the Machine itself.
This is why I am not amused when madrid are linked with guys who are main guys in their teams but have no history in being just a minor part in a much bigger picture.

but hey I'm overcomplicating this. I'll make it simple for you guys:
Suarez and Benz actually are quite similar but the minor differences is what ultimately sets them apart and ultimates decide what a team needs. If your team lacks a top goalscorer and you need a strong individual profile then ideally Suarez is your man.
However, if your team needs balance and you need someone who can get his stats but more importantly, fit with the team and help the "flow" of team without disrupting with individual traits then Benzema is your man. Suarez is a scorer by nature, Benz on the other hand is a creator first and his play reflects that.

This is why Suarez is unnecessary in Madrid. We already got a top goalscorer with great individuality in CR7, Bale too. To sign Suarez would mean we intend to replace either CR7 or Bale. I am in the opinion that Suarez is not better than CR7 or Bale. Bale can create decently but better off being a goalscorer, CR7 same as well, he is by far more effective as a goalscorer. For the BBC to work, one of the three needs to be a creator first and foremost and thus, Benzema is the most underrated cog in the BBC machine. Priority goes to Benz 3rd, Bale 2nd, CR7 1st in terms of attacking.

Best exemplified by CR7 first goal against bayern. Tarnish not the counter attack: Benz made the first pass to Bale, he is furthest behind Bale and CR7. Bale continues on and then passes to CR7, who is our main goalscorer. if Bale was 1st priority, he would have taken a shot instead of passing. CR7, having his life made easy by Benzema and Bale, takes the shot and scores. We're more balanced under Carlo but the priority is the same.

I cannot see Suarez succeeding in such a model. His profile does not fit and is not available. his spot if there was one is already occupied by CR7 and Bale. Suarez dominates the ball in liverpool. In Madrid he will not see that ball very often as the 3rd spot, Benz, is required to do 2 things. 1: Grab the attention and bully the cbs when appropriate, creates space for the other two. 2: Playmake and build up play, make sure CR7 and Bale (mostly CR7) do not get involved in build up play and let them just focus on making incisive runs for goals. Benz only sees the ball when dropping deep, not in the final 3rd usually. ofc there will team effort moments from CR7 and Bale but mostly this usually how it plays out. This is why I rate Benz ahead of Suarez: He is still an effective scorer and assist maker without seeing much of the ball and not being the main guy.

Sometimes I think you guys don't even try to use yer brains.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNykNxP7oQw&hd=1

Turok_TTZ

I agree in the sense that Suarez wont fit in the Madrid team, but I disagree with where you rank Suarez's ability.
Suarez in big games do not convince me, I am not easily convinced of a player's worth.
Like Di maria for example. Scrub killer? you better believe it. but is he top 5 wingers? not by a long shot. he is a better b2b mid anyways though more time is needed to see whether Di maria can contend his quality as a b2b mid.

This would a be interesting response if you've an actual argument refuting otherwise.
This retort however, leaves a lot to be desired. I actually explained very well the reasoning.
you? you post a youtube video that reflects your own post. what have you to say to that?

Your enormously verbose attempt at reasoning your position ignores so much in order to shoe horn it into your preconceived conclusion that it is not salvagable.

It honestly makes my head hurt.

Turok_TTZ

Your enormously verbose attempt at reasoning your position ignores so much in order to shoe horn it into your preconceived conclusion that it is not salvagable.
If you care to explain your position and retort properly (which you haven't), maybe I would consider this a serious post. rather that, I get this instead. If you cannot explain why not, why are you even posting? I do not mind to be proven wrong and in fact, I encourage it.

Kyoufu

It honestly makes my head hurt.

I agree with Turok. Suarez thrives in a tiki taka team, not Real Madrid's setup.

Always thought that if Suarez were to be sold, it'd be to Bayern.

Turok_TTZ

I agree with Turok. Suarez thrives in a tiki taka team, not Real Madrid's setup.

Always thought that if Suarez were to be sold, it'd be to Bayern.
But I didn't even... you know what? forget it. I cannot talk tactics here apparently.
You guys care more of Game of Thrones and which player's wife has John Terry has slepted with than to talk the tactical aspect of the beautiful game.

I give up. Perhaps it is best I just go with the flow and just dedicate all my posts to praising the true prophet that is Benz and talking shit about coachs and players I do not like.

Clegg

But I didn't even... you know what? forget it. I cannot talk tactics here apparently.
You guys care more of Game of Thrones and which player's wife has John Terry has slepted with than to talk the tactical aspect of the beautiful game.

I give up. Perhaps it is best I just go with the flow and just dedicate all my posts to praising the true prophet that is Benz and talking shit about coachs and players I do not like.
You're the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom