• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT20| I don't really give a shit what any title is

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Liverpool don't win this season I think they'll be absolutely devastated.

Yep.

And it won't stop stinging until we do win it, just like 08/09 still hurts. When you get that close, close isn't good enough. Especially going into the last 3 games on the front foot, with 2 home games to come.

Zabojnik

Every time something like what happened today happens, I think of how Inter fans must've felt on that fatal 5th of May 2002. And I smile.

pulga

Banned
People dont care, as long as the winners name isn't spelled barcelona or real madrid, then it's good.

all these teams rolling over for atletico

its a conspiracy innit

put your tinfoil hat on m8

just check atleticos fixture list...all dem 1-0 wins

last time they pummeled a team was...wait for it....

waiiit for it....

AC MILAN LOOOOOOOOOOOL JOKE CLUB 4-1

I don't really understand why anyone would want Athletico to go through. Mourinho is destined to win the champions league with Chelsea. The final will be Chelsea vs Real Madrid and Ronaldo will shed tears when his shots just keep bouncing off the bus

Salvadora

but the emirates still fills up every week and there is a waiting list for season tickets. there are enough deluded fans out there for me to hate on the club as a whole
You can't fault the fans for wanting to go and support their team.
I don't really understand why anyone would want Athletico to go through. Mourinho is destined to win the champions league with Chelsea. The final will be Chelsea vs Real Madrid and Ronaldo will shed tears when his shots just keep bouncing off the bus
Chelsea would lose against Reel Madrid.

LTWheels

Only positive thing today is seeing that Toulon is through to the final. I hope there will be glory for Wilkinson. A fitting way to end an outstanding career.

Honestly Atlethico has played some oft he best football of any teams this season, they are deadly on the counter and it's amazing that a team like that, consisting only of Basque players and staff (Simoene grew up in the Basque slums) has made it that far.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
im sorry but italy in 06 were a fukin disgrace. they created nothing from open play and then worst of all a defender win ballondor. a year to forget 06

Scored more than anyone (except Germany) BABY.

the Golden Ball was Pirlo's or Buffon's. Fabio was a fucking GOAT captain though.

cannavaro_02_en,property=original.jpg

Salvadora

This is like saying you should give a 5yr old McDonald's every day cause you don't want to deprive them.
No it isn't.

I think there is a disconnect between supporting the team week in week out and what occurs at the boardroom level. As such, your average joe punter Arsenal fan is dissatisfied with ticket prices and lack of investment in the squad, but wants to support the team.

Extract from Moyes's unpublished autobiography:

The Managers’ Graveyard by David Moyes

“The graveyard I’m talking about isn’t a place. It’s a state of mind. It’s not a very pleasant one, either.

After a defeat, I don’t want company. I don’t want to be around other people. I don’t want to chit-chat and pretend everything’s all right. When we’ve lost, it’s not all right.

It does vary a wee bit. There are some defeats when you come off the pitch and you feel almost like a winner. For example, if you’ve played really well against a massive team and lost to an unlucky late goal. Again, there are times when you play really well and concede a late equaliser and it really hurts. We played Arsenal at Goodison in spring 2009. We dominated, but had the win snatched from us by a fantastic Van Persie strike just before the final whistle. In conversation with Arsène Wenger afterwards, he was generous to admit that we were unlucky not to win. But to me, it felt like a defeat.

Losing’s part of the game, I do understand that. You have to accept it and give credit to the opposition, even if you’ve not played well yourself. Then you have to pick yourself up and get on with it. You move on to the next game. That’s what happens. Every time.

But it’s much easier to talk about than it is to do. Knowing you have to recover isn’t the same as recovering. I have to show the players that there’s a way forward. The players have to see that I’m bullet-proof. I have to give them the lead and move them on. But before I can do that, I have to go through a whole process myself. I do that in what I call The Managers’ Graveyard.

The Managers’ Graveyard is a place that is difficult to describe if you’re not a manager yourself. There’s a place where elephants go to die. Football managers go to such a place. You brood there. You gnaw on your disappointment and your anger and this horrible feeling that something’s been taken away.

There are a lot of managers in that dark place, the Managers’ Graveyard, every Saturday night. Some will blame it on the referee. Some will blame their selection. Some will say that the team wasn’t good enough. But they’ll all be there for a while. Some can get out quite quickly. Others will stay for longer.

Most managers will tell you that the lows are more intense than the highs. When you win you feel good. When you lose, it’s terrible.

When things aren’t going well, I try not to listen to the radio too much or read too many newspapers, except for news. I certainly don’t read what goes on the internet.

To this day, I can remember driving in my car as a young Celtic player and hearing myself get absolutely slaughtered on the local radio phone-in programme. I was a young boy of maybe 18 or 19, and the criticism from the fans really hurt. So I limit my exposure to it, and try to keep a level head about it.

In 2008, many years later, I met prime minister Gordon Brown after he’d come up to Liverpool for a Cabinet meeting. We talked about football. He’s a mad Raith Rovers fan, and said he had watched me when I played for Dunfermline.

I wanted to ask him how he handles criticism. Just about everything a prime minister does is subject to unbelievable criticism. I’m often asked how I react to some of the stuff regarding my own performance. The answer’s simple: I don’t read it, good or bad. If you’re not going to pay too much heed when you’re losing, you shouldn’t when you’re winning. It’s a way of keeping my life in balance.

The only way I’ve discovered is dealing with the pain of defeat full-on. However hard it is, however long the process. Losing is a great big bruise, and you have to let it hurt. You try to learn from it, and to move forward when you’ve the strength. Sometimes that takes a long time. There are no short-cuts.”

God. He's a cheerful cunt.

Yep.

And it won't stop stinging until we do win it, just like 08/09 still hurts. When you get that close, close isn't good enough. Especially going into the last 3 games on the front foot, with 2 home games to come.

I'll be depressed for 2-3 days if Liverpool don't win it.

But then my attention will be occupied by what kind of improvements the team needs to make during the off season. CL football (stem) means more bodies in and around that team. Lots more.

MPW

Scored more than anyone (except Germany) BABY.

the Golden Ball was Pirlo's or Buffon's. Fabio was a fucking GOAT captain though.

cannavaro_02_en,property=original.jpg

i wish madrid bought cannavaro earlier than 2006

still, he helped madrid with back to back titles so his time at madrid was a success but he was clearly at the end of his career

Marc

No chance for them to go through.

very good. i hope simione doesnt get cocky and sticks to what he knows, ie. 10 in the 18 yard box. chelsea are in for a rough evening. atletico will win

Really interested who Mou will go with as a striker, has to be Ba surely and can expect them to play the same as today really. Just counter attack the hell out of Madrido Athletics.

Can see them going through, Mourinho is the footballing equivalent to Japanese knotweed.

Yen

Only positive thing today is seeing that Toulon is through to the final. I hope there will be glory for Wilkinson. A fitting way to end an outstanding career.
The long period of injury-proness after the WC win will always be a black mark against his career unfortunately

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Can't wait till the transfer window :eek:

Proper excited about getting some quality in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom