• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3Sixty

RONALD KOEMAN is one of two names remaining on Southampton's shortlist of candidates to replace Tottenham-bound Mauricio Pochettino.

Koeman stepped down as Feyenoord boss at the end of last season to pursue other ambitions and is now closing in on the vacant role at St Mary's.

Former Basel boss Murat Yakin is set to join Spartak Moscow while Derby County have refused to allow Steve McClaren to be lured away.

And that leaves former Barcelona player Koeman as the new frontrunner for the role.

Southampton are looking to make a decision inside the next week and have reportedly promised whoever takes over a minimum £50m transfer kitty.

However, the amount available for transfers at Southampton is likely to be increased should any of the club's stars command substantial fees.

---

Awwwwww yiss

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The England National team on its way to Miami, anyyyyyone abroad happen to know where they will be training down here? I want to heckle.
Oh yeah I forgot they play a friendly against Honduras here. Lot of Honduran fans here are gonna see their squad lose.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Some talk that Spurs will sign Ben Davies to compete with Danny Rose. I'd be happy with that, I think MoPo could make them both better players.

Zabojnik

BpDgQNcIQAASAFM.jpg

iR4MqXT0kvh0B.gif

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=646377515441895

YES KING ARTURO!
Hopefully he's fully recovered from the knee injury / operation. I have my doubts, but whatever.

Barzul

Are Juventus really going to sign Morata with a buyback clause? =/ Hope it's a big one at least.

Even if the incoming striker is Remy, why would signing Cesc make more sense than signing, say, Alexis Sanchez (who not only plays on either wing, but scores more goals, is direct, and would allow us to go 4-4-2 on demand)?

Where does Fabregas fit and how does he not hinder Ramsey, Ozil and/or Wilshere? Genuine questions. Everybody wants him yet nobody lists an even remotely reasonable, balanced system with him in the side.

Cesc is better than Wilshere and in his prime. Wilshere drops to the bench. Push Ozil to the left for Cesc, because Cesc is a far greater goal threat, Cazorla drops to the bench. Some games against lower opposition where a strict, DM isn't of great importance. Ramsey and Cesc do the double pivot. This is before you even factor in injuries and the like. It's not like next season is guaranteed to be the season where all our players are miraculously fit for the run in. When Ramsey picks up a Ox style injury that rules him out till the new year, bet you'll wish we had Cesc to come in as cover for that role. There's just so many ways he'll fit in and get game time, esp as we'll be competing in 4 competitions.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why when you've got BAE?

If it were up to me then BAE would be in the squad, but he's got a year left on his deal and unless he has an amazing pre-season I can't see MoPo keeping him. He didn't have a great season at QPR and he's 30 now, you'd imagine Levy will look to move him on.

Abraxas

Just to put this out there now, I'd be exceedingly disappointed if cesc left barca, and doubly so if he became a money cunt for any of the other big teams.

wedward

Arsenal don't need to show any interest in Cesc. Why would they?

They just need to wait for a bid to come in for him and then Barca give Wenger a ring and ask him if he wants to activate the clause and buy Cescy.

Cesc comes home.

Simple.

And people need to forget about buying a World Class striker. It just isn't happening.

Aurier, Cesc, Remy, Bender/Schneiderlin/ Bargin bin backup keeper.

Salvadora

Just to put this out there now, I'd be exceedingly disappointed if cesc left barca, and doubly so if he became a money cunt for any of the other big teams.
But Abraxas, doesn't it make sense that after Cesc took a pay-cut to join Barcelona he would then be motivated by money to join a non-European club such as Manchester United Football Club?

Wes

venison crêpe
If anyone else wanted to help out in some way with the World Cup thread who did not just get a PM from me, let me know now.

Feorax

If we're after a Barca player, I hope to fuck it's not Tello. Sterling's resurgence has made any thought of him in our team utterly redundant.

Walshy

If we're after a Barca player, I hope to fuck it's not Tello. Sterling's resurgence has made any thought of him in our team utterly redundant.
Sport reported we made a bid for Sanchez. Maddock of the Mirror (lol) seems to think we have an interest in Pedro too.

I think we've upgraded a bit from Tello, we would of got him in January instead of going for Konoplyanka or Salah if we was still interested.

wedward

But Abraxas, doesn't it make sense that after Cesc took a pay-cut to join Barcelona he would then be motivated by money to join a non-European club such as Manchester United Football Club?

Wenger is gunna pull a City/Chelsea and buy a player just so the competition can't have him.

EmiPrime

Where does Fabregas fit and how does he not hinder Ramsey, Ozil and/or Wilshere? Genuine questions. Everybody wants him yet nobody lists an even remotely reasonable, balanced system with him in the side.

Yeah it's not like Ozil and Ramsey will ever be injured at the same time for 10+ games.

Oh... ;)

Fabregas will be coming into his prime while Wilshere is still far from the finished product. It's a no brainer really.

jtb

Banned
Ozil can play on the wing. Wilshere is nowhere near ready for a starting role. plenty of flexibility for where to play Fabregas in this team. Arteta had a poor season, might as well replace him.

Fernando and Fernandinho will close out alot of games next season...

Cesc is better than Wilshere and in his prime. Wilshere drops to the bench. Push Ozil to the left for Cesc, because Cesc is a far greater goal threat, Cazorla drops to the bench. Some games against lower opposition where a strict, DM isn't of great importance. Ramsey and Cesc do the double pivot. This is before you even factor in injuries and the like. It's not like next season is guaranteed to be the season where all our players are miraculously fit for the run in. When Ramsey picks up a Ox style injury that rules him out till the new year, bet you'll wish we had Cesc to come in as cover for that role. There's just so many ways he'll fit in and get game time, esp as we'll be competing in 4 competitions.

So we make Ozil worse for Cesc, instead of allowing Ozil to flourish (bear in mind Wenger explicitly said he wants more goals from Ozil & thinks it'll come naturally - he's invariably right about this sort of thing) alongside a pacier, more skillful player who would score more goals than Cesc...

And we win games against lower opposition, that this is often the justification for bringing him in speaks volumes. We're the best in the league when it comes to dispatching 8th-20th. But if Fabregas is down to join as someone who can "come in as cover" I'd be delighted. Injuries...are something we need to sort out within and hopefully we'll be able to reduce them.

Overall though, most of this just screams Gooners wanting the man so much they'll justify the player, which I get, but can't agree with. No-one was calling for a £30m (probably close to half of our budget) creative midfielder a month ago, and still wouldn't be had he never played for us.

Barzul

Fernando and Fernandinho will close out alot of games next season...

So we make Ozil worse for Cesc, instead of allowing Ozil to flourish (bear in mind Wenger explicitly said he wants more goals from Ozil & thinks it'll come naturally - he's invariably right about this sort of thing) alongside a pacier, more skillful player who would score more goals than Cesc...

And we win games against lower opposition, that this is often the justification for bringing him in speaks volumes. We're the best in the league when it comes to dispatching 8th-20th. But if Fabregas is down to join as someone who can "come in as cover" I'd be delighted. Injuries...are something we need to sort out within and hopefully we'll be able to reduce them.

Overall though, most of this just screams Gooners wanting the man so much they'll justify the player, which I get, but can't agree with. No-one was calling for a £30m (probably close to half of our budget) creative midfielder a month ago, and still wouldn't be had he never played for us.

Cesc will get 15+ goals as CAM. If Ozil gets 10 next season I'll be extremely surprised.

jtb

Banned
Wingers can score goals. in some ways, Ozil's skill set is better suited towards the wing than the 10 role. he's certainly much better suited for it than Wilshere/Ramsey are

and honestly, we are at the mercy of Wenger's whims when it comes to transfers. I'll take whatever quality players I can get since I know there's going to be at least two or three key holes in this team that go overlooked because there always are.

also "he's invariably right about this sort of thing"? sorry, but no

Salvadora

I am happy if Arsenals signing of the season is Cesc and not some world class Striker and DM.
You will be happy then because we are not signing a world class striker this summer.

But you will see the Cesc effect.

It will be a good day for Arsenal, and therefore, the world.

jtb

Banned
It's funny that people believe Arsenal are only able to sign one player per window.

no.

Ozil's game isn't to control a game via possession, it's much more based around dead-ball like situations, through balls, etc. He's also a very technically proficient player and relatively pacy. all depends on how he's utilized but I don't think it would be "wasting" him on the wing—Wenger would just have to adapt the way the team plays slightly.

better option to play on the left than any of our current options, barring Theo playing inverted winger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom