• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |ot22| Financial Fair Play? Je ne comprends pas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tc91

I want any club except Arsenal to get Cesc.

I mean, even United or Chelsea, the meltdown will be that glorious.

Gonçalo Lopes @_GoncaloLopes · 1h
AVB asked Zenit's boss to buy Fabregas. They talked with Barça, but @cesc4official picked England and most likely MUFC

Woodwards office is in London. The meltdowns are incoming Walshy.

jtb

Banned
those windows don't really count:

Santi, Podolski, Giroud—but also lost RVP
Arteta, Mertesacker, Ox—of those three, Mertesacker is the only above average player, and Wenger sold Nasri, Cesc that same window

Ox remains one of Wenger's most infuriating transfers. thankfully, we also signed Gervinho that window so all was well.

last window went alright, actually: Flamini covered major hole in the team (if in typical half-assed Wenger fashion) and Ozil is good.

Slizz

vrMzYoD.jpg

:lol that face.

Arteta, Mertesacker, Ox—of those three, Mertesacker is the only above average player, and Wenger sold Nasri, Cesc that same window

Ox remains one of Wenger's most infuriating transfers. thankfully, we also signed Gervinho that window so all was well.

Shhhh stop making sense.

wedward

Who gives a shit what we did two seasons ago? What bearing does that have on what we do this summer?

Yen

Transfer stuffs:

A few Spanish newspapers are saying Alberto Moreno will head to Liverpool next week. €20m or thereabouts.
Andy Heaton off the Anfield Wrap says Ayre is negotiating for a Barca player, though it's not Fabregas. Sanchez/Pedro/Tello probably. Would love either Pedro or Sanchez (though I've normally slated Sanchez in his Barca career, he'd be a top signing, had a really good season last season).
Have no opinion on Tello, no idea how he'd play for a club that isn't set up to constantly be in possession of the ball on the opponents 18 yard line.

Anyway, back to revision. Exam tomorrow, hope the questions are reasonable enough that I can just call George Bush a dickhead for 2 1/2 hours.

Found my 2010 World Cup Thread OT that someone copied/pasted on to another forum at the time

Those player descriptions. I was so far ahead of the game. I should've been a scout.

Descriptions aside, nothing beats that picture of Thierry Henry...

Ybgwu.jpg

Also, can someone explain to me how did Greece was able to qualify for the WC? Watched their friendly against Portugal... goddamn they are awful.

Same way they won the Euro's, I guess. bore everyone to tears and then fluke a goal.

wedward

Isn't looking to the past the reason why nobody can predict Arsenal will miss the CL in a given season?

Nobody said that.

Wouldn't say Oxlade-Chamberlain was one of Arsene's most infuriating transfers, like, at all.

He's hugely talented.

JTB is angry because Wenger player him in mid when we were short of healthy midfielders and in typical JTB fashion has overreacted and written him off entirely.

jtb

Banned
Wouldn't say Oxlade-Chamberlain was one of Arsene's most infuriating transfers, like, at all.

He's hugely talented.

Ox was 12m for pure potential. he's got time to fulfill that potential (though Wenger seems clueless as to where to play him), but to buy a player like that over strengthening the defense or buying someone who could make an immediate impact? especially in a window where he knew at least one of Nasri or Cesc was going? (oh and we almost had Mata but we cheaped out at least the last second?) classic Wenger.

Feorax

Transfer stuffs:

The wingers are interesting. We've been told several times Shaqiri is the alternative to Lallana, but they're two very different players, and there are also reports we're already in negotiations for Shaqiri.

I think more likely is we're after two wingers, one prospect (Xherden) to grow alongside Sterling and Ibe, and one in their prime. Either Pedro or Sanchez would fit that perfectly if the Lallana deal is going nowhere.

jtb

Banned
RxutiPz.png

Ljungberg, Cesc, Nasri, Ramsey...you want to give me some examples of Wenger saying "X midfielder will score goals" and them not producing?

Gervinho?

anyways, managers say that about all their players. it's about showing confidence. I don't think it's a predictor of future performance.

pappe

Santi and Podolski.

Also why are you pretending like our transfer policy hasn't changed?

Quality of Podolski is arguable.

Also u guys signed noone but Ozil last summer and then no one in Jan. Just gng by track record as I dont have insider information.

Slizz

I know what you are referring to, and nobody said that you can't, just that you would be dumb to continually do it.

Which is true.

I don't see how this has anything to do with Arsenal having money to spend.

Always. Cesc.

You complain about looking at past windows.

Why can't someone question when Arsenal have signed 2 world class players in a given window and assume that they won't do it this window with a WC right in the middle, regardless of money to spend?

dc89

Did anyone watch that show that was on Channel 4 a good few years ago now?

City of Vice?

Had Palpatine in it. It was great, I dunno why they didn't make another series. :(

Salvadora

Ox was 12m for pure potential. he's got time to fulfill that potential (though Wenger seems clueless as to where to play him), but to buy a player like that over strengthening the defense or buying someone who could make an immediate impact? especially in a window where he knew at least one of Nasri or Cesc was going? (oh and we almost had Mata but we cheaped out at least the last second?) classic Wenger.
Come on, jtb.

Like, I get the frustrations with him to an extent because it seemed like he didn't develop last season. But when you buy a 17/18 year old, you're basically buying potential. Can't see why you'd think he didn't know where to play him either. He said on the day he signed that he sees Oxlade-Chamberlain playing centrally in the future.

Why can't someone question when Arsenal have signed 2 world class players in a given window and assume that they won't do it this window with a WC right in the middle, regardless of money to spend?
Because Arsenal GAF are as wobbly as jelly.

That's your answer.

wedward

When did I say 2 world class players? When was the last time any team in England bought two world class players in the same window?

I said that it is dumb to assume that if we sign Cesc we won't sign anyone else.

Like, do you honestly believe Cesc will be our only buy if we get him?

He can't be because we don't have a RB or Keeper.

I don't see how signing Cesc hinders us in any way from signing Remy either.

Slizz

I am happy if Arsenals signing of the season is Cesc and not some world class Striker and DM.

It's funny that people believe Arsenal are only able to sign one player per window.

no.

When was the last time Wenger signed 2 world class or even great proven players in the same window.

Santi and Podolski.

Also why are you pretending like our transfer policy hasn't changed?

When did I say 2 world class players? When was the last time any team in England bought two world class players in the same window?

I said that it is dumb to assume that if we sign Cesc we won't sign anyone else.

Like, do you honestly believe Cesc will be our only buy if we get him?

He literally can't be because we don't have a RB or Keeper.

You didn't say it but it was a topic of discussion.....

jtb

Banned
Come on, jtb.

Like, I get the frustrations with him to an extent because it seemed like he didn't develop last season. But when you buy a 17/18 year old, you're basically buying potential. Can't see why you'd think he didn't know where to play him either. He said on the day he signed that he sees Oxlade-Chamberlain playing centrally in the future.

exactly. Wenger's delusional.

I get that you buy a kid, you're buying potential—that's fine. Then why are we paying 12m for him? that's an absurd fee. there's no doubt he's talented but the hype around him is basically around two games (creates RVP's goal against Utd and played in CM against a moribund Milan side) because outside of that, you've got a sample size of three years where he's been erratic, unable to hold down a place in the team, and struggling with injuries despite barely playing.

Just because a young player has a high ceiling doesn't mean he's going to get there. He was a terrible signing at the time and considering he has yet to become a productive member of the squad, I think it's fair to say that was still a poor signing.

both Gervinho and Ox came in the same window and iirc Gervinho was cheaper. Gervinho's a better player than Ox is but he somehow ended up being the scapegoat. I don't understand that logic; it's stuff like that which Wenger does that frustrates me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom